Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:12:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227819 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Question about OMG being only a demo
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question about OMG being only a demo  (Read 10903 times)
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« on: September 29, 2005, 03:43:06 AM »

I saw a lot of people on gnr boards saying Axl said once that OMG was just a demo rushed to release by Interscope and so... But I never read/heard Axl saying something about this in any article or interview (not only I'm a member of HTGTH since at least 2001 but also I searched many times for this particular article).

Does someone knows when Axl said that of have a link to the article (please, do not post a link to Axl's statement about the song in that press release, this is not what I'm talkin' about)?

jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 06:55:08 AM »

I think the demo thing was just an excuse considering the negative reaction from the media and fans. Had the song been considered a GNR classic, the word demo would have never been mentioned.

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 07:06:21 AM »

I think the demo thing was just an excuse considering the negative reaction from the media and fans. Had the song been considered a GNR classic, the word demo would have never been mentioned.
Well, the question is: I never saw anyone saying it was a demo. And I just want to know about this quote in particular. Please don't hijack this thread to turn in something to bash the song (wich, despite the awful mix, I love).

jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 07:24:07 AM »

I wasn't trying to hijack your thread. I was just telling you the reason you heard the word demo mentioned in concern to this song. Bands dont release demos for soundtracks. Most bands usually try to give their best to whatever project they're contributing to. I remember how this song was hyped for awhile leading up to its release. After the release, and to this very day, we keep hearing the word demo mentioned in the same breath as this song. But you mostly hear that excuse from fans. If you're looking for some quote from Axl, ask Izzy. He always comes through on this kind of stuff.

makane
Legend

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 07:27:34 AM »

I think OMG is quite underrated song, with few listenings it's actually OK.

Ooh, if it opens your eyes
This is better than a strong compromise
I was willing to be lost in the shuffle
If only you had let me know

Best part. though sometimes the song sounds like Aces High which i dont like so much.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2005, 07:29:31 AM by makane » Logged

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005, 07:57:10 AM »

well it`s definitely not a demo. in one article about the producing of oh my god (don`t ask me for a source) it`s written that the mixing alone took a night ( well, the mixing is the only bad thing in the song imo....) and that they did their best on the whole song. and axl never said, that it was a demo, nor that he`s not content with the song.

i`m sure i read the producing stuff, but i can`t remember where....

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2005, 08:04:31 AM »

If you're looking for some quote from Axl, ask Izzy. He always comes through on this kind of stuff.

Well i had a look, seem's Axl didn't think it was a demo but he does say he was under pressure to conform:

So here's the story behind this music
The chorus: OH MY GOD etc. deals with the societal repression of deep and often agonizing emotions - some of which may be willingly accepted for one reason or another - the appropriate expression of which (one that promotes a healing, release and a positive resolve) is often discouraged and many times denied. Emotionally the song contemplates several abstract perspectives drawing from personal expression as well as from the film (End Of Days) and its metaphors. The appropriate expression and vehicle for such emotions and concepts is not something taken for granted.

Musically the song was primarily written by Paul Huge over two years ago, with Dizzy Reed writing the musical hook of the chorus. Former member Duff McKagan as well as former employee Matt Sorum failed to see its potential and showed no interest in exploring, let alone recording the piece. When the demos were played for the new band, Josh, Tommy and Robin were as they say 'all over it.'

Once the opportunity was presented, the song was given priority in our recording process. As the verse, performance and lyrics were decided on, for us (that especially includes Interscope chairman Jimmy Iovine) the choice became obvious. We were more than pleased Mr. Roswell (the film's music supervisor) agreed! Our thanks to Arnold and all for the consideration - it is an association in which we have always felt honored.

Paul Huge, Gary Sunshine and Dave Navarro appear on the song as well as Robin Finck. Robin's part was written by Paul and extensively manipulated by our producer, Sean Beaven. Robin was not involved in the writing of the final recording though did participate in the arrangement. All lyrics were written by myself. Additional programming (jack boots, screeching tires, etc.) was by Stuart White.

The fight of good vs. evil, positive vs. negative, man against a seemingly undefeatable, undeterrable, unrevealed destiny, along with the personal and universal struggle to attain, maintain and responsibly manage freewill can be and often is frustrating to say the least. In America our country's constitutional right to freedom of expression gives us a better chance to fight for that expression than many in other countries enjoy. It can be a big gig, like kickin' the crap outta the devil!

Power to the people, peace out and blame Canada,

Axl

and....

''Oh My God" is a perfect example. When we finally got "Oh My God" where it needed to be, then I got the right words to it. With "Appetite," I wrote a lot of the words first, but in, like, "Oh My God," I wrote the words second, but the music was written like "Appetite." We kept developing it until it we got it right. [With] "Appetite," everything had been worked on, and worked on, and worked on. That was not the case with "Use Your Illusion. - Axl"

No mention of it being a demo, Axl certainly infers he released a song he felt was complete at the time, though mentions unwanted pressures effecting the song.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2005, 08:28:00 AM by Izzy » Logged

Quick! To the bandwagon!
alternativemonkey
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2005, 08:35:30 AM »

I saw a lot of people on gnr boards saying Axl said once that OMG was just a demo rushed to release by Interscope and so... But I never read/heard Axl saying something about this in any article or interview (not only I'm a member of HTGTH since at least 2001 but also I searched many times for this particular article).

Does someone knows when Axl said that of have a link to the article (please, do not post a link to Axl's statement about the song in that press release, this is not what I'm talkin' about)?

Axl said as much at the December 29, 2001 Hard Rock Hotel concert. I was there.

He might not have used the word "demo". I wasn't there taking notes; I was there to hear the music. But, he definitely said it was taken from it because it was the closest thing to completion.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2005, 09:18:13 AM »

Axl said as much at the December 29, 2001 Hard Rock Hotel concert. I was there.

He might not have used the word "demo". I wasn't there taking notes; I was there to hear the music. But, he definitely said it was taken from it because it was the closest thing to completion.
Thanks dude. That's why I never found anything about that.. There's no real article/interview or bootleg avaliable. I found a review from the December 29th 2001 gig, though:

Axl further talked about ?Oh My God? and how that was just in a demo tape which the management insisted be put on the Arnie soundtrack which Axl said ok to hesitantly.

Source: http://www.gnrontour.com/sets2001/20011229reviews.html

Dust N Rose
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2005, 09:48:58 AM »

Oh my god in the 2001 shows seemed to have some enhancements that made it more sympathetic but I doubt if it's gonna be on chinese democracy. The public didn't show any interest and I think they may have abandonded it after all.
The quality of the studio version seems to be very low and it could be easily mistaken as a demo (if it's not one), but the underground atmosphere is just a part of the song's vein.
It could be possibly an easy excuse for Axl so he could make it nice.
Rockin' Rose
VIP

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2005, 09:59:56 AM »

well it`s definitely not a demo. in one article about the producing of oh my god (don`t ask me for a source) it`s written that the mixing alone took a night ( well, the mixing is the only bad thing in the song imo....) and that they did their best on the whole song. and axl never said, that it was a demo, nor that he`s not content with the song.

i`m sure i read the producing stuff, but i can`t remember where....

I think it was the article of NY Times

Na Naa Naa Naa Na Naa Naa...
william
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2005, 10:11:01 AM »

IMO the version on the "End of Days" soundtrack could be considered a demo, and i do recall reading somewhere Axl said same. Look, Gary Sunshine (Axl's guitar teacher) plays on the track along w/Paul Tobias, no Robin, Chris, Bucket, Dave Navarro gets a call to see if he would be interested in laying down the solo for the song (1 song), come's to the studio one night and wings it (may not be the right way to put it--winged it). My point is, I get the impression Dave wasnt holed up in the studio for weeks/months working/recording the solo. Although it is uncharacteristic for Axl to give his ok to release something he would later describe as a demo or considered sub par to his high standards. It's possible he was receiving alot of pressure from the record company, management, or maybe he was doing a favor for an old friend (Arnold). It's entirely possible he had other reasons (personal) for his actions. Personally, i like the version but i'm chomping at the bit to one day hear the re-recorded track. I have a feeling after the record drops, Axl will let the music do the talking first, then answer alot of ?'s regarding issues/?'s along these lines, give his side of the story, his versions of events. I very much look forward to this.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2005, 10:43:43 AM »

It is amazing that he was pressured to release a song, yet 6 years later, that same pressure can't be recreated to force a release of CD.? But if it is as bad as OMG, I can see why.
PJ
black metal poser dude
VIP

And I'm crazier!

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2005, 11:00:58 AM »

It is amazing that he was pressured to release a song, yet 6 years later, that same pressure can't be recreated to force a release of CD.? But if it is as bad as OMG, I can see why.
omg is not bad is a killer unrated song and im sure cd will be the best rock cd in a decade

"I'm still impressed by my ability to put a shine on a pile of bullshit"
                                        SLASH
http://www.gnrsource.com
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2005, 11:31:27 AM »

But if it is as bad as OMG,

It's more amazing that after some people have said they like the song, yet in the very thread someone comes and makes a remark as above as if it was common knowledge. Roll Eyes

Demo or not I love the song.
On Live it quite differs from the soundtrack, which I also like.
There must be other versions of this song. yes
DunkinDave
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2005, 12:24:39 PM »

IMO the version on the "End of Days" soundtrack could be considered a demo

Question - was the CD single of "Oh My God" different than the soundtrack version in quality?
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2005, 12:45:42 PM »

IMO the version on the "End of Days" soundtrack could be considered a demo

Question - was the CD single of "Oh My God" different than the soundtrack version in quality?

There is no CD single of OMG. The song has never been released in that format. There are promotional 5" CDs though, and they are exactly the same as on the soundtrack.

Got my attitude and my shiny shoes.....
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2005, 01:14:03 PM »

There are promotional 5" CDs though, and they are exactly the same as on the soundtrack.

Wasn't that the format released to radio as the lead promo single for the soundtrack?

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2005, 01:37:27 PM »

There are promotional 5" CDs though, and they are exactly the same as on the soundtrack.

Wasn't that the format released to radio as the lead promo single for the soundtrack?

Yeah, that's what they're for. What I mean is there wasn't a CD single in the sense of commercially available.

Got my attitude and my shiny shoes.....
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2005, 03:39:35 PM »

Yeah, that's what they're for. What I mean is there wasn't a CD single in the sense of commercially available.

That's what I thought, thanks for the clarification. ok

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: