Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 02:12:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Robin's Guitar Playing
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Robin's Guitar Playing  (Read 28446 times)
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #120 on: October 05, 2005, 11:26:28 AM »

Robin may not be as good as slash but robin plays with much more emotion than slash ever did.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2005, 11:28:15 AM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
makane
Legend

« Reply #121 on: October 05, 2005, 11:29:37 AM »

Why did you post that message dave-gnfnr2k?
It's just gonna do harm.

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
ryan_of_lax
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #122 on: October 05, 2005, 11:33:56 AM »

I HATE seeing that argument about emotion.
How do you tell who has more emotion? Is there some kind of test that every guitarists takes? Is there some kind of Emotion-O-Meter?

Just because someone closes their eyes when they play, or bends the strings a lot doesn't mean they have emotion. And if someone is constantly bending the strings too much so that it goes out of key, well they should just stop bending anyway....

I just don't see how anyone could say someone has more or less emotion than another player...
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #123 on: October 05, 2005, 11:34:54 AM »

Ok, I had to bring this stupid discussion again because it's not fair to judge Robin in his worst moments? and compare to Slash with his better performances.

Nobody is comparing Robin and Slash ok? Slash doesn't even figure in this discussion, so get that off ur chest.

Robin may not be as good as slash but robin plays with much more emotion than slash ever did.

Fuck off with your emotion thing. You wann hear emotion? listen to OIAM, that is the rawest emotion on a GnR tune. Listen to NR and Estranged those are pretty good ones too. What kind of emotion does Robin have? we don't know!!! that's the point. Emotion!!! fucking dumbest argument about a guitarist that there is rant Cobain had more emotion than them all, was he a fantastic guitarist? no.

When talking about how good of a guitarist Robin is you have to compare him with the talent of other GnR guitarists before him

Robin is apparently the #1 guy, so he ultimately replacing slash, who was replaced by buckethead.

Is Robin in the same league with those two? I don't think so, but other people may.
is it a bad thing? No, Slash is one of the all time greats and Bucket is amazingly fast.
Does it mean I hate Robin? no, but the other two are more skilled guitarists (simple fact)
Will I buy CD and give Robin a fair shot? damn straight, but all i have heard is his live shit so he gets judged on that till the CD is released.
Do i still like GNR with no slash? I come here every day don't I?

dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #124 on: October 05, 2005, 11:37:01 AM »

It's just gonna do harm.

Why would it do harm? Its true? People always wrongful bash BH for not having emotion which is why people say he is not as good as slash, well I am just giving Robin his props for playing with great emotion and more than slash. I dont see anything wrong with it.

Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #125 on: October 05, 2005, 11:41:21 AM »

It's just gonna do harm.

Why would it do harm? Its true? People always wrongful bash BH for not having emotion which is why people say he is not as good as slash, well I am just giving Robin his props for playing with great emotion and more than slash. I dont see anything wrong with it.

Why don't you do an alltime list of the most emotional guitarists then? Roll Eyes Don't forget Courtney Love once a month  hihi

dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #126 on: October 05, 2005, 11:44:15 AM »

It's just gonna do harm.

Why don't you do an alltime list of the most emotional guitarists then? Roll Eyes Don't forget Courtney Love once a month? hihi

So why is it ok when people on this board say BH plays with no emotion and that is why slash is better, yet the minute someone says Robin plays with more emotion than slash you fly off the handle? Is it because you know I am right?

Robin is a great guitar player who plays with a lot of emotion, there is nothing wrong with saying that.

michaelvincent
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #127 on: October 05, 2005, 12:00:14 PM »

Is it because you know I am right?

No it's because that statement is so utterly laughable it boggles the mind.

Having said that Robin is a great player. More emotional that Slash, I dunno about that, it's so hard to compare the two of them. They are do distant in terms of style it's just pointless to keep bringing this topic up. It always goes the same way.

They are both good players in their own way, I don't really consider one better or worse than the other at this point.
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #128 on: October 05, 2005, 12:03:49 PM »

Slash is a better guitarist, plain and simple. nobody can deny it

Nobody has ever denied it  Cool
« Last Edit: October 05, 2005, 12:06:34 PM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #129 on: October 05, 2005, 12:11:15 PM »

Is it because you know I am right?

No it's because that statement is so utterly laughable it boggles the mind.

Having said that Robin is a great player. More emotional that Slash, I dunno about that, it's so hard to compare the two of them. They are do distant in terms of style it's just pointless to keep bringing this topic up. It always goes the same way.

They are both good players in their own way, I don't really consider one better or worse than the other at this point.

What statement is laugable?

Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #130 on: October 05, 2005, 12:13:26 PM »

So why is it ok when people on this board say BH plays with no emotion and that is why slash is better

How exactly do u define 'playing with emotion'? Emotion is what u feel listening to a guitarist play. BH is probably better than Slash in terms of technique and i've heard a lot of songs of his where he plays real nice, slow riffs. Now as for comparing Robin and these two guitarists, well Robin is just not in their league.

P.S: You seem to have a habit of bringing Slash into every discussion about Robin or Richard. Not too cool is it?

Fuck 'Em All.
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #131 on: October 05, 2005, 12:17:22 PM »

So why is it ok when people on this board say BH plays with no emotion and that is why slash is better

How exactly do u define 'playing with emotion'? Emotion is what u feel listening to a guitarist play. BH is probably better than Slash in terms of technique and i've heard a lot of songs of his where he plays real nice, slow riffs. Now as for comparing Robin and these two guitarists, well Robin is just not in their league.

P.S: You seem to have a habit of bringing Slash into every discussion about Robin or Richard. Not too cool is it?

I was not the first to mention slash is this thread. And I think you mean BH not Richard Wink.
As for saying Robin is not in the same league as slash or BH. I disagree.  He is a different style so he is not even in the same category of either of them. BH is a shredder and Slash is a blues based guitarist. Robin is more industrial.

Robin is better than most rock guitarist out there right now. I can?t wait to hear what he does on Cd. I think a lot of people will be surprised.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2005, 12:18:57 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

makane
Legend

« Reply #132 on: October 05, 2005, 12:19:21 PM »

I was not going to bring slash into this but since people are questing robin being a professional.

That clip sucked overall, from 0:28 till the end is good. But before that is played in the wrong scale.

Right. A 'professional' guitarist performing before thousands of people plays in the wrong scale, for like 30 seconds. I can understand if he gets a note or two wrong... And this isn't any 'old' song, mind u.? smoking
hehe  hihi
« Last Edit: October 05, 2005, 12:21:09 PM by makane » Logged

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #133 on: October 05, 2005, 12:26:35 PM »

I was not the first to mention slash is this thread.

No just the second.

And I think you mean BH not Richard Wink.

No I mean Richard. Whenever someone says something about the current GN'R guitarists, u bring up Slash. I can understand u not liking Slash, but then it really doesn't help the discussion does it?

Fuck 'Em All.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #134 on: October 05, 2005, 12:27:50 PM »

That Ghost of Mars song does kick ass...but Robin is on rhythm and the solo at the end is clearly Bucket. Sossego is all rhythm. Somebody put a link up to that GOM song. I haven't heard it in a while.
Sossego is not all rhythm:
http://s42.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2JYFKG7XQ51DO0DR3XLG09MJ0L

Also, the solo at the end of Love Siege is clearly Bucket, but this clip is all Robin:
http://s45.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=03VVQS79VRTMV0GJGSBK2FJEJM

Oh, I forgot Neemo's post. Roll Eyes
Good for you.

KOHD does not use Drop D.
Yes, it does. At least Robin's guitar (I'm talkin' about the new band's version, of course).

OK I Just watched the blues for RIR and you are right as well. but he does look to the soundboard and point to Robin, then says "OK nevermind" then skips a line of vocals and goes to the back and adjusts robin's volume and comes back out to finish singing the song.
There was no problem with Robin's volume, but with Paul's. Also, I think he just point in direction of the soundboard, not Robin.

Slash is a better guitarist, plain and simple. nobody can deny it so don't even try.
He was, IMO. Now, I don't think he has the same creative work (wich makes me wonder if Izzy helped him back in the '80s).

Bucket was brought in when? you can't say it was to replace robin cuz we never saw him till 01 and robin was back before then. ok
August 4th, 1999
Robin Finck Leaves Guns N' Roses, Rejoins Nine Inch Nails

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/news/shownews.php?newsid=149

March 15th, 2000
GN'R: Buckethead In, Freese Out

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/news/shownews.php?newsid=234

Is that enough?

makane
Legend

« Reply #135 on: October 05, 2005, 12:36:59 PM »

What comes first in mind of those clips, he plays some good rhytm, but when he tries to play fast it just doesn't work.

madagas
« Reply #136 on: October 05, 2005, 12:38:40 PM »

Bucket was in the project as early as dec 1999/ jan 2000. He is mentioned in the Rolling Stone article from that timeframe.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #137 on: October 05, 2005, 01:08:45 PM »

It's just gonna do harm.

Why don't you do an alltime list of the most emotional guitarists then? Roll Eyes Don't forget Courtney Love once a month? hihi

So why is it ok when people on this board say BH plays with no emotion and that is why slash is better, yet the minute someone says Robin plays with more emotion than slash you fly off the handle? Is it because you know I am right?

Robin is a great guitar player who plays with a lot of emotion, there is nothing wrong with saying that.

sure there is nothing wrong with saying it but, really who gives a crap about "emotion"? and how can you judge it? Just cuz i think a song is emotional to me doesn't mean it is to you. it's just a pointless argument.  I't like saying that Dave Mustaine is better at singing metal than Phil Anselemo cuz Dave's hair is longer. It's a joke.

I "flew of the Handle" at your remark cuz i was already in a discussion of talent for Robin vs. Slash and you said cuz Robin has more emotion. It came from left field and has nothing to do with what was being discussed IMO.

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #138 on: October 05, 2005, 01:13:04 PM »

As for saying Robin is not in the same league as slash or BH. I disagree.? He is a different style so he is not even in the same category of either of them. BH is a shredder and Slash is a blues based guitarist. Robin is more industrial.

Well then robin should polish up on his "Blues" style cuz it's Slash/izzy songs that he's playing. BH didn't have a problem with the "Shedder" to "Blues" transition.

The Genre defining of musicians is stupid too. Either you can play the shit or you can't. What is GnR? Are they blues based? Shredder Based? Industrial Based?

They are a rcok band, and a professional guitarist in a band should be able to play his band's songs flawlessly. period. Is that too much to ask?

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #139 on: October 05, 2005, 01:24:22 PM »

There was no problem with Robin's volume, but with Paul's. Also, I think he just point in direction of the soundboard, not Robin.

Sure whatever, that fuck-up was not Robin's fault.

August 4th, 1999
Robin Finck Leaves Guns N' Roses, Rejoins Nine Inch Nails

March 15th, 2000
GN'R: Buckethead In, Freese Out

Is that enough?

Not really. When did Robin return?

Slash is a better guitarist, plain and simple. nobody can deny it so don't even try.
He was, IMO. Now, I don't think he has the same creative work (wich makes me wonder if Izzy helped him back in the '80s).

Yeah izzy helped him, so, I doubt robin is the sole creator of the new guitar work as well.

KOHD does not use Drop D.
Yes, it does. At least Robin's guitar (I'm talkin' about the new band's version, of course).

I doubt it cuz it was supposed to be closer to Dylan's version than ever.... and I don't think Bob Dylan wrote anything in Drop D tuning hihi but whatever you say

Unless they did it so all Robin had to do was strum the top 3 strings. pretty hard to fuck that up huh? (BURN!!!! hihi )
« Last Edit: October 05, 2005, 01:33:10 PM by Neemo » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: