Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 14, 2024, 03:42:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228044 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl throwing tantrums with Tracii Guns
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl throwing tantrums with Tracii Guns  (Read 14461 times)
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2005, 11:55:04 AM »

Of course the gnr name isn't tarnished do to the new band, no one knows the new band.. They sell good because gnr are now rock icons, classic rock will always live on.. afd is one of the best rock albums ever..
so then the public has positive memories of gnr

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2005, 02:03:52 PM »

your talking as if GNr dont have some kind of legacy or didnt stamp themselves into rnr history.

No I'm not.? I'm talking about Axl not forging a "voice of a generation" type legacy.?

Watch that VH1 show "when metal ruled the world". They talk about the 80s hair metal scene and how overblown it got and then "out of nowhere comes this little band, guns n roses, and all bets are off".

Try watching to the end show, talks about the emergence of another band/scene that effectively shut down the Sunset Strip...

Gnr were different. They started a new trend a new look a new image.

Different than what? Poison?? You might want to take a look at Aerosmith back in the 70's, GNR did little to update the look or the image...?

And honestly there is a bigger mystique about Axl and what hes doing than WHat would Cobain be doing right now.

Pure speculation....

Anyway...None of this is meant to diminish GNR's accomplishments whatsoever.? That said, the fact of the matter is Axl is just not regarded in the same light as some (who'll remain nameless as to avoid all
mention of the "N" band).?

Get used to it, it's not going to change.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2005, 02:05:59 PM »

Of course the gnr name isn't tarnished do to the new band, no one knows the new band.. They sell good because gnr are now rock icons, classic rock will always live on.. afd is one of the best rock albums ever..
so then the public has positive memories of gnr

anyone who didn't see the vmas does.. That is the only event I know of that people saw who weren't following the gnr saga purposely. The people I speak of are people who knew I liked gnr or listened to their music and had some interest back during either afd or illusions...
 They all asked what happened, they had the picture of what gnr was with at least axl n slash..

I hate using any other band as an example but I also like metallica.. Just imagine if they were gone for many years and all of a sudden they closed the vmas and james hetfield had braides looking rapper like and kirk hammett was gone as was lars and there was some guy with a bucket on his head or another guy looking pale like a goth rocker type.. I would be like who the fuck is this, what happened to the band .. That is basically what people I knew though of it.. They'd claim to be metallica but most people would say this isn't them, it's just james and some random guys..
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2005, 02:34:20 PM »

A question.

Who is the "voice of a generation" type legacy?

Somehow the title doesn't appeal to me.
From the sound of it, it would be quite a heavy burden for an artist who is to communicate with other generations as well.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2005, 02:46:04 PM »

A question.

From the sound of it, it would be quite a heavy burden for an artist who is to communicate with other generations as well.

A few come to mind; Dylan, Joplin, Morrison and Lydon to a lesser degree.  You can guess the other.

And I agree, it's a huge cross to bare

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
madagas
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2005, 02:58:58 PM »

Falcon, I think Axl could overtake Cobain in mystique with another run of great albums. He does have an advantage of actually being alive-at least we think! rofl Of course, he has to do something. Also, the only mystique Cobain has left is with the US press, US alternative rock radio, and a handful of old, faithful fans in the US and maybe England. Axl still overshadows Cobain on a worldwide scale. You do tend to forget or acknowledge Gnr's relevance worldwide. They are simply a bigger band than Nirvana ever was. Facts are facts. beer It's friday-almost happy hour-get those Bucket pics up.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2005, 03:02:27 PM »

They are all still loved, however

Joplin, Morrison - RIP, buried with the generation.

Dylan,  Lydon    - Alive and kicking, has changed and are doing jolly well yet best known for the early/the first acts.
RichardNixon
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2005, 03:10:41 PM »

A question.

A few come to mind; Dylan, Joplin, Morrison and Lydon to a lesser degree.? You can guess the other.

And I agree, it's a huge cross to bare

Axl would be on there too if he died at 27. When alive, many though Morrison to be a pretentious windbag. The "Soft Parade" album is chock full 'o strings, just like GN'R's "Bloated" NR.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2005, 03:33:17 PM by RichardNixon » Logged
madagas
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2005, 03:13:49 PM »

By the way, the only voices of a generation in the 60's were the Beatles and Dylan. Hendrix would probably be third due to his influence on all things electric guitar. Joplin, Morrison, et al don't have ANYTHING on Axl. Axl defined the late eighties as much as Morrison or Joplin defined the late 60's. Dylan and the Beatles had masterpieces which extended throughout the decade. Morrison only had a three year run and Joplin even less. Axl's run was from late 87 to 91. And, yes, the release of the Illusions count because of the hysteria and publicity that surrounded the release of the record, the St. Louis riot and other mayhem that ensued up through the departure of Mr. Stradlin in Nov 91. The point where I wish the band would have broken up and called it quits.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2005, 03:19:44 PM by madagas » Logged
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2005, 03:29:51 PM »

Joplin, Morrison, et al don't have ANYTHING on Axl. Axl defined the late eighties as much as Morrison or Joplin defined the late 60's.

That's your opinion and I'm cool with that, I'm sure you know what guy and the band it always come back to with the loyalists.  The inferiority complex is still prevelent...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

madagas
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2005, 03:32:02 PM »

Cobain defined the 90's or at least late 91 to 95. He was the voice of that generation. No questions ask. Cool
RichardNixon
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2005, 03:39:11 PM »

Cobain defined the 90's or at least late 91 to 95. He was the voice of that generation. No questions ask. Cool

I love Nirvana, and this is in no way a diss, but the term "Voice of a generation" is a social construction. Something that egghead writers at RS make up. Why isn't Vedder or Reznor called "The voice of a generation." As a society, we like to label people one way or the other. If Axl had died in 1992, those same writers would be hailing the Illusion albums as a masterpiece and Axl an avant-garde genius. Case in point: When John Lennon's "Double Fantasy" was released, in Nov of '80, critics initially said it sucked, was too sappy, etc. Then after Lennon's assassination, those reviews were pulled and now the album is hailed as one of Lennon's finest albums.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2005, 03:41:01 PM by RichardNixon » Logged
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2005, 03:49:31 PM »

Falcon, I think Axl could overtake Cobain in mystique with another run of great albums. He does have an advantage of actually being alive-at least we think! rofl Of course, he has to do something. Also, the only mystique Cobain has left is with the US press, US alternative rock radio, and a handful of old, faithful fans in the US and maybe England. Axl still overshadows Cobain on a worldwide scale. You do tend to forget or acknowledge Gnr's relevance worldwide. They are simply a bigger band than Nirvana ever was. Facts are facts. beer It's friday-almost happy hour-get those Bucket pics up.

As I've said many times before, one defined a movement, the other enhanced a scene near the end of it's run.?

I'll leave it at that? yes

Still working on the BH pix from Tuesday, the inevitable 'technical difficulties", damn it.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2005, 04:07:55 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

madagas
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2005, 04:07:33 PM »

Richard, I get your point and agree. But, as Falcon said, Cobain defined the movement and certainly benefited from his death. Commercially Pearl Jam was about even with Nirvana, maybe ahead. But, critically, and critics do matter to an extent, Nirvana is way out front. Fuck, who really cares? They are all great rock bands. And the 90's shit all over the last 6 years. ok
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2005, 04:35:10 PM »

I love Nirvana, and this is in no way a diss, but the term "Voice of a generation" is a social construction. Something that egghead writers at RS make up. Why isn't Vedder or Reznor called "The voice of a generation." As a society, we like to label people one way or the other. If Axl had died in 1992, those same writers would be hailing the Illusion albums as a masterpiece and Axl an avant-garde genius. Case in point: When John Lennon's "Double Fantasy" was released, in Nov of '80, critics initially said it sucked, was too sappy, etc. Then after Lennon's assassination, those reviews were pulled and now the album is hailed as one of Lennon's finest albums.
his death didn't affect the status of the Beatles and Dylan and Lydon didn't die that young, did they? Wink

Yep I agree that the term "Voice of a generation" is a social construction.
I assume not everyone in a generation is of the same opinion with others.
Or rather maybe 'the voice of a generation' has never been in the majority of each generation.

Thanks god Axl hasn't been killed by the generation. peace
Join the majority early and make your friends cry your foes gloat.
RichardNixon
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2005, 11:52:41 PM »

Richard, I get your point and agree. But, as Falcon said, Cobain defined the movement and certainly benefited from his death. Commercially Pearl Jam was about even with Nirvana, maybe ahead. But, critically, and critics do matter to an extent, Nirvana is way out front. Fuck, who really cares? They are all great rock bands. And the 90's shit all over the last 6 years. ok

Cock-Rock was nearing its end. If Nirvana hadn't been the band, it would have been someone else.
RichardNixon
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2005, 11:54:14 PM »

Axl is as every bit as famous and important as Joplin, Cobain, Morrison, and more so than J. Rotten.
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2005, 01:09:00 AM »

Even thoug Izzy is cooler smoking
RichardNixon
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2005, 02:04:10 AM »

his death didn't affect the status of the Beatles and Dylan and Lydon didn't die that young, did they? Wink

Yep I agree that the term "Voice of a generation" is a social construction.
I assume not everyone in a generation is of the same opinion with others.
Or rather maybe 'the voice of a generation' has never been in the majority of each generation.

Thanks god Axl hasn't been killed by the generation. peace
Join the majority early and make your friends cry your foes gloat.

The Beatles and Dylan are an exception. Lydon isn't all that talented, yes, I said it.
Stonerose
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2005, 02:48:28 AM »

Kurt Cobain killed rock and roll
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: