Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 06:30:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227981 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Axl's voice
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl's voice  (Read 20112 times)
usurper
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2005, 06:16:03 AM »

Easy question, after Oh My God was released Axl wanted to lose his trademark voice, ya know, the voice that does not want to make you tear your ears off, so he had his voice nodules removed. Damn shame, he sounds terrible and out of breath.

I ASKED YOU ONCE, and I ask you again..... cause you never replied, where did you get that??? source??

Search articles, I can'tbe bothered to search it out.

yeah right, I don't believe it then.? Tongue

Believe what you want to believe, why does Axl sound out of breath and out of tune on every old song then? Explain that
badobsession81
Rocker

Forgive them that tear down your soul

« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2005, 06:35:47 AM »

i dunno if he had any surgery or vocal coaching. that all sounds plausable though.

i do think though that the main reason is simply the amount of time away from singing/touring. if you listen to boston and msg, towards the end of the tour, you'll notice more and mroe axl's growl returning - songs like the blues, lald etc show this happening the most. and im sure with more touring he'll get to a nice balance. cuz i do agree, i didnt like rock in rio voice - was too thin with little growl - songs like nightrain just sounded high pitched an whiney!

bob

Back In Power
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2005, 06:37:21 AM »

thats what i thought, as the tour was going his voice was gettin' better!

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2005, 09:57:04 AM »

Easy question, after Oh My God was released Axl wanted to lose his trademark voice, ya know, the voice that does not want to make you tear your ears off, so he had his voice nodules removed. Damn shame, he sounds terrible and out of breath.

I ASKED YOU ONCE, and I ask you again..... cause you never replied, where did you get that??? source??

Believe what you want to believe, why does Axl sound out of breath and out of tune on every old song then? Explain that

because he's not 27 anymore??
Stop making stuff up .

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
ryan_of_lax
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2005, 10:37:51 AM »

All high pitched singers voices change.

But!
Axl never sounded like "studio Axl" when he sang live.

Just watch Welcome To The Jungle from the '88 VMA's.
He's out of breath and off key there too.

So it's not like having a bad night is new for Axl.

Look how much running around he does on stage... I think it's amazing he can even get a word out. He's doing a rock show, as well as a complete body workout at shows.

I think Axl's vocals on the CD will sound quite similar to old Axl. Because in teh studio he can concentrate completely on vocals. Not running a short marathon along with singing.

And in the studio there are retakes. However many retakes he wants.
Alice Cooper noted that Axl done A LOT of retakes for The Garden trying to get it JUST right. Alice even said that "you have to be happy sometime."
Koskenkorvasieni
Rocker

Guns N' Finland

« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2005, 12:57:25 AM »

I found some info about vocal nodules via google.

http://www.bgsm.edu/voice/singers_notes.html

Symptoms:
difficulty singing in the upper register (especially the inability to sing high notes pianissimo), the need to use greater-than-normal breath pressure to sustain the voice, thereby increased the overall effort of singing -- these are danger signals that indicate the possibility of nodules on the vocal cords.
I'm sure all of you have recognized some of these symptoms in Axl's voice during the uyi tour.

I don't know for sure if Axl had nodules removed, but i'm sure he would have eventually lost his voice if he hadn't treated them somehow.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2005, 01:15:12 AM by Koskenkorvasieni » Logged

So Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always thriumph, because good is dumb.
HK-47
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2005, 11:15:29 AM »

Axl has had surgery to remove polyps on his vocal cords a few times. He had to have it done during the illusion tours as I recall, leading to a three or four week break. It's pretty normal for a touring rock singer to get polyps or nodes on the vocal cords, it's a sign of wear and tear as well as excessive acidity. Usually the vocal cords swell up to about twice the normal size and become covered in a thick mucousy sludge, as well as developing the bumps. A doctor will often prescribe strong antacids and six weeks rest if possible, or you can opt for surgery and get back to business in about a month.

Axl's voice during any tour is reflective of the abuse that screaming your lungs out every night has on your vocal cords. Eventually you start to lose your range or even lose your voice for a time if you don't rest the vocal cords regularly.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2005, 11:17:02 AM by HK-47 » Logged
Steve McKagan
VIP

« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2005, 11:29:03 AM »

Didn't Axl's voice change pretty much before the south american tour late 1992? His voice wasn't the best during the summer but was awesome for example in Santiago or Buenos Aires.

Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2005, 02:28:42 PM »

And now he sounds like he has some kind of a dog's toy in his throat. I like the Illusion-sound.
Same here, some people tend to forget that performing night after night is hard on the vocal cords. And we all know how damned long the Illusion tour was. I think Axl's biggest issue in 2002 was that he hadn't performed vigorously in years and it showed up in his voice.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
Twisted Nerve 85
Rocker

« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2005, 05:05:27 PM »

I am not being critical...but since we? saw the band broke up in the 93...Axl's voice has changed considerably...

I downloaded the VMA performance...I thoroughly enjoyed Axl's voice on Madagascar but his voice is not quite there....if ya know what I mean...

maybe someone could offer some insight on this...is it age or what?

I'll take any version of Axl I can get btw

I know this had been beaten to death, but thank u for bringing this up, because the loss of the raspyness in his voice and the fact that he cant hold a note without going out of breath alongside with Robin Fincks butchery of Slash's solos make me want to tear my fucking ears off

And now he sounds like he has some kind of a dog's toy in his throat. I like the Illusion-sound.

Thats got to be one of the funniest fucking things Ive ever read, cause its so true.

Look Im not shitting on Axl, I js think this new voice is terrible. And Im loyal enough to accept it but fuck man ppl have to admit its bad. I mean ppl like to use the excuse, "Oh well he hasnt perfmored in a long time,his voice isnt in top shape" pppppfffft!!! Listen to the boston soundboard version of Madagascar, even when his voice IS in top shape he still sounds like a toothless old man. Hopefully he'll sound different in the studio versions of the new songs. Hearing that scream from the live version of Live and Let Die (I think it was the toronto one) I can tell he's got at least a hint of what he used to have. Ill miss the raspiness, but I dont think he can get that deep voice he used to have that well anymore either.

Of course these are js pet peeves of mine, Im sure once I hear the studio version Ill forget all about this "voice" problem, but it really gets to me.  peace

Life's a bitch.......anyone who says different is selling something.
badobsession81
Rocker

Forgive them that tear down your soul

« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2005, 08:14:52 PM »

yeh thats a point actually. while he started to get the growl back towards the end of the 02 tour, it was stil quite 'clean' and we don't seem to have heard signs of the deep voice - i thought songs that used it like its so easy just weren't there u know?

Back In Power
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2005, 10:54:41 PM »

Axl sounds great in the studio, that is all that matters.
Listen to the IRS demo, or these clips.
http://www.newgnr.com/dloads/audio/Axl-sweetchildnew-newgnrdotcom.mp3
or
http://www.newgnr.com/dloads/audio/studiocuts-newgnrdotcom.mp3

Axl sounds amazing.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
kiss-from-a-rose
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2005, 05:38:00 PM »

Axl sounds great in the studio, that is all that matters.
Listen to the IRS demo, or these clips.
http://www.newgnr.com/dloads/audio/Axl-sweetchildnew-newgnrdotcom.mp3
or
http://www.newgnr.com/dloads/audio/studiocuts-newgnrdotcom.mp3

Axl sounds amazing.

Thanx for sharing, he sounds  ok  great indeed!    peace
Twisted Nerve 85
Rocker

« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2005, 08:39:11 PM »

Ehem that sweet child O' mine is from 1998 from the Big Daddy soundtrack, so Im not exactly doing snoopy dances over it, however Im still positive he will sound great in the studio versions of the new songs.  peace

Life's a bitch.......anyone who says different is selling something.
awhellzno05
Headliner

Oh no! Oh no! "Oh Yeah!" - Kool Aid Man

« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2005, 03:20:16 AM »

Just listen to Gilby and Axl perform Dead Flowers from 2000 and Axl's voice soundes exactly like it did in the late 80's-early 90's.  He has definitly had something done to his vocal cords or something, I wonder how would he react if he were to get interviewed about it?  Would he be sensitive about the subject or would he say what happened?  What do you guys think?

The Devil hates a loser
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2005, 04:23:59 AM »

I think there are alot of sensitive subjects for Axl, and if CD is ever released, he probably will not do many in depth interviews. He might not do any at all. The guy is gonna flip when asked questions about his voice, the failed tour, the LONG wait, and ex bandmembers. If he grants interviews, I will bet money that he walks out in mid interview. This is not the most stable individual we're talking about here. Watching how Axl handles the promotion of CD is going to be VERY interesting.

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2005, 09:08:33 AM »

wouldn't voice change naturally as time passes unless something's done? Huh
jellyhead
Rocker

« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2005, 10:52:11 AM »

Just listen to Gilby and Axl perform Dead Flowers from 2000 and Axl's voice soundes exactly like it did in the late 80's-early 90's.? He has definitly had something done to his vocal cords or something, I wonder how would he react if he were to get interviewed about it?? Would he be sensitive about the subject or would he say what happened?? What do you guys think?

This recording from Axl's appearance has never surfaced.  He sounds exactly like he did in the late 80's / early 90's becuase thats when your recording is from!
IndiannaRose
VIP

AiN'T iT FuN WhEn YoU KnOw YoU'Re GoNnA DiE YoUnG

« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2005, 02:14:37 PM »

Just listen to Gilby and Axl perform Dead Flowers from 2000 and Axl's voice soundes exactly like it did in the late 80's-early 90's.? He has definitly had something done to his vocal cords or something, I wonder how would he react if he were to get interviewed about it?? Would he be sensitive about the subject or would he say what happened?? What do you guys think?

This recording from Axl's appearance has never surfaced.? He sounds exactly like he did in the late 80's / early 90's becuase thats when your recording is from!
Exactly. I've been trying to tell this to people for a while... Undecided
MikeB
« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2005, 06:51:53 PM »

Maybe on the night of the VMA 's 02 , he was in a strange mood it affected his voice . Before that night he was already missing  from the showbiz for almost a decade so yeah he's going to sound different for the first time after a long absence.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: