Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 03:31:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227962 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Should VR call it quits and return to their side projects?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Should VR call it quits and return to their side projects?  (Read 19346 times)
SourBaby
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2006, 10:33:54 AM »

Are you people crazy??? They shouldn't quit... The only reason why there record isn't out yet is because they have been on the road for a long time. They had ozzfest this summer.... you know the sort... I am not giving up.... It's not like it's been nine years Grin

"You Can Use Your Illusion Let it take you where it may, we live and learn but then sometimes it's best to walk away"
babydolls
VIP

Locomotive

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2006, 11:51:36 AM »

i loved snakepit and stp - but really think VR rock.  they put out their first record pretty fast after cementing the line-up - but its still a good record and is great live.  Their second album should really show how they work, write and play together more.

my vote is totally with VR.  Both times i've seen them live - they've been fcn great.

strongly doubt that stp would be around even if VR never happened.
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2006, 07:24:40 PM »

VR have not reached their creative peak yet.? I think they will do so with the new album.? On the last album, they we're just trying to find their niche.? And with Scotts outside problems at the time, he couldn't put in 100%.? Nah, Contraband is ok, but I know that the new album will kick some serious ass.? So hell no, they should not, and will not call it quits.

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2006, 05:26:51 AM »

it would be pretty damn hard for slash to ever duplicate his work with gnr, it's second to none and arguably the best guitar work of our generation

I hope vr sticks around then one day gnr reunites
IzzyDutch
VIP

Here Today... Fuck The Hell

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2006, 08:05:45 AM »

I think when Slash would play with Duff and Izzy his guitarplaying would come very close to the GN'R stuff. Cause Slash would always take Izzy's stuff chordchanges and immediately blur out riffs and leads. Izzy would bring more out of Slashs's guitarplaying when it comes to riffs and solos then Scott.

Hell even Slash said the 10 track album they did with Izzy in "The Project" was the best instrumental GN'R album ever.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2006, 08:07:22 AM by IzzyDutch » Logged
makane
Legend

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2006, 04:39:24 PM »

All sideprojects together ain't worth Velvet Revolver.

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2006, 08:13:51 PM »

I personally prefered Snakepit's first album to VR's first album.  That being said they definitely shouldn't hang it up.  VR are one of the biggest rock bands going right now.  Barring a GN'R reunion, Slash and Co. would be stupid to go their separate ways.  And they definitely have the potential to top any of their solo records with this upcoming album.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
SumoWrestlerOfBeer
Opening Act

Bow to the conductor, bitch.

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2006, 11:16:35 PM »

No, because seeing Slash, Duff, and Scott Weiland on stage at the same time is pretty fucking incredible. Although, I'd prefer an STP reunion and then some project involving Slash, Duff, Matt, and Izzy (and hell, Axl, but we all know the likeliness of that at the present time).

Why don't you just...fuck off.
Redrocket16
Opening Act

Slash is rock and Roll

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2006, 01:52:30 PM »

No fucking way if their next album is a s good allaround as contraband was then keep on making em i seen them at the acc in to last year AND IT WAS THE TIME OF MY LIFE

Slash is the king

slash is rock and roll
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2006, 05:09:35 PM »

Musically, I think VR is pretty terrible.  Slash seems like hes asleep on most of the record and Scott just bores me - first two STP discs are great, the last 3 are pretty average.  I def listen to snakepit more then I do VR.

But VR seems to be 10,000 more times popular then any of the side projects, so I enjoy reading about and seeing Slash and Duff in the press more.

VR should have got Josh Todd instead of Scott.  Shame rock is so fickle these days, Buckcherry was really f'ing good. I DEFINITELY listen to BC a lot more then VR.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2006, 05:15:45 PM »

Buckcherry is actually an excellent band...  their first album is great and its similar to VR
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2006, 01:08:20 AM »

Buckcherry is actually an excellent band...  their first album is great and its similar to VR

I don't think there that similar at all.  Buckcherry reminds me more of post appetite guns, aerosmith with some stones influence mixed in as well.  Its just raw rock with some good riffs and a very under rated frontman.  Their first album BLOWS AWAY contraband.  Other then Slither, most VR songs are pretty boring.  I am a HUGE slash/duff/STP fan and I really can't remember the last time I even THOUGHT of putting on a VR song.  Its not horrible and certainly better then most of the crap out there now (which isn't saying much at all), but it should have been A LOT better.  I really hope Axl releases Chinese Democracy around the same time as the new VR record....one, b/c it'll be great to have so much new music to listen to and most of all 2, b/c I can see fans debating who is better for YEARS!

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2006, 09:18:56 AM »

That first Buckcherry Album is awesome.  When I first heard they were working with Keith Nelson and Josh Todd I was so happy.  I just don't know what went wrong.  It could have been Josh's drug habbit.  Anyway, I agree that he is a rock band front man.  I am unsure if Weiland is or not.
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2006, 12:15:51 PM »

About Buckcherry as I told you before, I think it's an excellent band, but I only listened to their first album, and barely saw their second's album video called BOMB or something like that, I think they sold out with the video...
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2006, 04:10:16 PM »

About Buckcherry as I told you before, I think it's an excellent band, but I only listened to their first album, and barely saw their second's album video called BOMB or something like that, I think they sold out with the video...

2nd album was called TIME BOMB.  Its not as good as the first, but still pretty good.  I'm not bashing VR and contraband, but I think I'd prefer TIME BOMB over VR too.  Even Josh Todd's solo record is pretty kick ass.  VR is just SOOOO average to me...its boring in my opinion. 

I almost wonder if choosing scott was a marketing decision, thinking they'd have a bigger audience b/c of all the STP fans out there (more of them then buck cherry fans).

As for Josh's drug problem...um...HELLO!?!?!? SCOTT HAS A HUUUUUUUGE DRUG PROBLEM!!!!!!!

Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2006, 08:23:10 PM »

I heard that Scott's drugs problem is already in the past...  anyway I also think VR's contraband wasnt that good, but certainly they have a lot to give in the next album.
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2006, 08:02:02 AM »

i personally think that Vr are boring....  few cool riffs AND WHERE ARE SLASH`S SOLOS?Huh and the singer sucks. he was really fuckin cool in STP, but now i`d consider him a pussy. i don?t even watch VR concerts, because of that guy.  the only positive aspect of VR is Slash, Duff and matt playing together...
they should replace dave with izzy or gilby or any other cool guitarist and search for a new singer....

i think the first slash`s snakepit record was FAR better than VR by the way...  but i don`t think every member should continue on his own..  whose guys were made to play together (slash, duff..........matt is ok, too)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2006, 08:03:40 AM by WARose » Logged

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2006, 01:06:04 PM »

I heard that Scott's drugs problem is already in the past...  anyway I also think VR's contraband wasnt that good, but certainly they have a lot to give in the next album.

When they first recruited him it was def still a problem, wasn't he in legal trouble and rehab when they first kinda got started?  My point is, if thats why they said no to Todd, I just think its REALLY ironic they hired Scott.

Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2006, 02:13:40 PM »

Who is Todd man, the buckcherry singer?
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2006, 10:58:10 AM »

No doubt velvet revolver has revitalized the public career of the guys - they are more visible now and getting bigger gigs than they could with snakepit, Loaded, Neurotic Outsiders etc.

Scott Weiland will always do fine either solo or with STP (I prefer him solo myself)
Slash will pretty much always do decent as far as a following
Duff can't draw huge crowds, but he may be the most talented of the bunch (plays guitar, bass, drums, vocals, songwriter)

Matt is getting the best exposure has has had in years

Dave is clearly profiting the most (fame-wise, artistically, and financially)

I have seen the following side-projects:
Snakepit 2.0 - better than VR
Loaded - WAY better than VR
STP 2X
Scott solo 2X
Izzy 2X with Duff in Japan

If there was no VR we would have snakepit, loaded, izzy being able to tour, STP or scott, and perhaps N.O

My question is whether you would prefer 5 times as many bands which are definitely better or one mediocre band

btw - I have seen VR twice and was not impressed

discuss

That may be worse then my less educated posts.  VR is making more money then all those other bands combined. Why would they go back to solo projects?

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: