Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:34:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227810 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Oasis vs. Nirvana
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Oasis vs. Nirvana  (Read 9680 times)
GNRBABY
Rocker

I'm on you like white on rice mutha fucka!

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2006, 07:03:54 PM »

Oasis wrote "Master Plan" and "Talk Tonight". They win.

Nirvana made 3 brilliant albums, they win.

Liar! You should be banned!!  rant
Danny Top Hat
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2006, 07:15:05 PM »

Fuck this shit.  Blur win.
GNR_Green
VIP

Green Army

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2006, 07:12:18 AM »

Both vastly overrated bands.  Oasis maybe defined the 90's in the UK but I don't think they were the best band, not original at all.  Blur, Manic Street Preachers and Prodigy own Oasis.  Soundgarden, Alice In Chains and Pantera owned Nirvana.

Both bands managed 'anthem' status for some of their songs, but neither was consistently good enough to deserve the praise they received.  Oasis' first two albums were great (and b-sides album Masterplan) but have been releasing mostly crap music for 10 years.  Nirvana's success is owed largely to a couple of big songs and Kurt's suicide.  You can't tell me that they are as good as Alice in Chains, if you think they are listen to Jar Of Flies and Dirt.  Musically AIC beat Nirvana hands down in every respect.

I prefer Oasis because they made some cool R'n'R songs and were a lot more 'anthemic' than Nirvana.  Probably only required that line but I thoughth I'd add the rest anyway  hihi

"Said if they had someone to buy it, Said I'm sure they'd sell my soul"
Megaguns
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2006, 08:11:30 AM »

nirvana wins, Hands down. Oasis suck the big nana. IMO
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2006, 11:56:58 AM »

Oasis wrote some fantastic and insanely popular rock songs, although they were terribly derivative of other artists, The Beatles and T. Rex among them.

Nirvana owed a lot to other bands as well (such as the Pixies, with the loud/soft dynamics), but Nirvana definintely popularized a totally new sound, broke down musical barriers, and woke the world up to "alternative" rock.

Both solid bands, but in terms of leaving a legacy behind, it's Nirvana all the way.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2006, 05:39:02 PM by bazgnr » Logged
Metallifuck
Rocker

R.I.P. Dimebag 1966-2004

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2006, 12:39:14 PM »

Oasis brought guitar rock back in the uk

That's a very unrealistic thing to say, even though I like some of Oasis' work.

If we're comparing bands here, there were many better bands in the '90s than Nirvana and Oasis, IMO. Alice In Chains, Metallica's '90s albums, Megadeth, Pantera, Faith No More and of course Blur.  ok

Bow to the Tempo of the Damned!
Stonerose
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2006, 02:16:50 AM »

I prefer Oasis, when definately mabye came out i fukin loved them. Im not a huge fan of their last album though.

I dont mind nirvana, i just think they're the most over rated band in the history of music, i hate how music journalists mention kurt cobain in the same breath as john lenon, kurt couldnt tie john lennons boot laces.
Mattattack
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2006, 02:10:21 AM »

Oasis hands down. Definitely maybe and Morning Glory piss all over Nirvana. I don't know how may times i've done this, but this is what I love about Oasis. I put on Definitely Maybe when i'm going out drinking and the next day I put on Morning Glory when i'm tired and hungover.
Bono
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2006, 04:57:54 AM »

Fuck this shit.? Blur win.

I used to think that but in all honesty I don't think Blur is as good as Oasis.

I'd pick Oasis over Nirvana by a long shot.  I don't hate Nirvana, never have but I do think they are the most overrated band in history. Oasis is more dynamic, more versatile and alot better in my opinion.

Not that this matters but for anyone who thinks Nirvana is anywhere near as popular as Oasis than you must've been living in a  cave the last 10-15 years.
MotleyCrue
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2006, 05:08:49 AM »

I saw a discussion about this topic in the Strokes' new album thread, and it's something that's been on my mind for a while.? People always deify Kurt Cobain, saying that he helped combine the aggression of punk with the melody of The Beatles.? But except for Nirvana's big hit singles, I think that's mostly horseshit.? If you've ever listened to a Nirvana album, you'll know that roughly half the songs on each are unbearable filler - screaming noise that's only slightly more catchy than an Anal Cunt song.

In my opinion, the REAL band that combined punk attitude with pop melodies was Oasis.? Clearly, The Beatles are one of their biggest influences.? But they have way more melody than Nirvana ever did.? Almost every song that the band writes has a relentlessly catchy tune to it.? Oasis has a bit of a punk influence, but rather than letting it overwhelm the actual songs, like Nirvana did, they incorporate it into their music so that it becomes melodic rock with an undertone of balls-out aggression.? Just compare an Oasis throwaway like "Thank You For The Good Times" to Nirvana's unbelievably shitty "Gallons of Rubbing Alcohol Flow Through The Strip".

Noel Gallagher is the REAL songwriter of the 90s.? While Nirvana released only a few albums (which were really only good for the singles), Oasis is still going strong in 2006.? As far as I'm concerned, Nirvana is a band that wrote a dozen or so incredible songs, but padded their albums with shitty filler.? It's been said before, but I'll say it again - if Cobain hadn't blew his brains out, he would have nowhere near the iconic status he enjoys today.

save urself, they both suck, in my honest opinion......and yes, Cobain may have not been in the iconic position he is now if he hadnt burned out before fading away....but his death put a bullet hole in the very music he was the forerunner for, its depression became even more depressing and even Billy Corgan seemed to comment that 'it took the wind out of everyones sails'

In my personal opinion, anything that glamourises suicide shouldnt be adhored or respected, its just plain evil
zakas80
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2006, 01:54:43 PM »

Love em both, but I gotta go with Oasis!? Oasis has got some great material, not just there radio hits.? The last Oasis album was phenominal, greatly exceeded my expectations.? Heathen Chemistry in my opinion was there weakest album, and yet there is still 3 or 4 gems in there.? Nirvana has some classic material, but besides Nevermind & The Unplugged album, I cant stand to listen to any of their other albums straight through.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 02:37:47 PM by zakas80 » Logged

Its what used to be's not there for me
And oughta find someone that belonged insane like i do
lennonisgod
VIP

TWAT

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2006, 12:17:40 AM »

I'm a huge fan of both of these bands but I listen to Oasis much, much more than I do Nirvana.  I was a fan of Nirvana before Kurt died and before that it was always Pearl Jam VS. Nirvana... who are the "grunge" kings??  It just pisses me off that when Kurt was still alive, not everyone thought they were the greatest thing in the world.  Right after he died, things changed and everyone jumped on his nuts.  Like I said, I do like Nirvana but it's just a shame that the death of someone, makes a band so much better than any other band, in a lot of peoples opinion.  I am going to say Oasis wins this one, hands fucking down.  I don't know how many Oasis fans here actually go and try to find all the Oasis songs that they can, such as the b-sides, demos and unreleased shit, but those that do, know that Oasis is one fucking great band.  There is so much more AMAZING music than just the MAIN albums that they release.  Here's a little info that can go with this topic: The first time Oasis played 'Hey, Hey, My, My' by Neil Young, was in Seattle. Kurt Cobain had written at the bottom of his "suicide" note that, "It's better to burn out than to fade away..." , which of course are lyrics from the song.  That may be a coincedence, but I don't think so. I'm such a fucking nerd for even knowing that.

Social class and registers, Cocaine in the hall, All the way from California...
SPUNKY
Rocker

do one sweatheart!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2006, 02:42:33 AM »

oasis by a mile!!

Nivarna were the most over  hyped up band ever!!

Smiley

SOUTHEND UNITED LEAGUE 1 CHAMPIONS 2006

HAMMERSMITH JUNE 7TH

DOWNLAND 9-11 JUNE GNR
pasnow
VIP

« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2006, 09:21:55 AM »

? It just pisses me off that when Kurt was still alive, not everyone thought they were the greatest thing in the world.? Right after he died, things changed and everyone jumped on his nuts.?

This really isn't true. Kurt, if anything, was looked at as the 'king' of grunge, and was the most popular rock star of the time. Heck, Time magazine wanted him & Eddie Vedder on the cover of their magazine. He didn't 'invent' alternative music, Jane's Addiction had a hit with "Been caught Stealin' a year before, RHCP had "Suck my Kiss' out, and 'Under the Bridge' was sure to be another hit, Soundgarden had 'Rusty Cage' and AIC had 'Man in the Box'... but for some reason, Kurt was chosen as the cover boy.

Why there's a comparision to Oasis I have no idea, can't even compare the two.. Nirvana is a top band, along with Beatles, Pearl Jam, Stones, Who, etc.. Oasis are a 2nd tier band, like Black Crowes, Offspring, INXS etc.. Good, but not the Greatest.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 09:25:42 AM by pasnow » Logged
pasnow
VIP

« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2006, 08:37:04 PM »

Before Nirvana: no

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKKg4CqyCMk

After Nirvana: yes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM1ibgLIgas

Any questions??
Mattattack
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2006, 03:24:56 PM »

The first time Oasis played 'Hey, Hey, My, My' by Neil Young, was in Seattle. Kurt Cobain had written at the bottom of his "suicide" note that, "It's better to burn out than to fade away..." , which of course are lyrics from the song.? That may be a coincedence, but I don't think so. I'm such a fucking nerd for even knowing that.

I was at that show dude, and Noel dedicated that song to Cobain. I believe it was the anniversary of his death. I was pissed off though, as I wanted to hear Oasis's cover of My Generation not Hey, Hey, My, My.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 04:39:10 PM by Mattattack » Logged
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2006, 03:27:40 PM »

Quite how anyone can compare Oasis with Nirvana its like comparing a Orange to an apple

There are totally differeny. Live with it

Quick! To the bandwagon!
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2006, 08:47:43 AM »

Quite how anyone can compare Oasis with Nirvana its like comparing a Orange to an apple

oranges are waaaay better than apples.
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2006, 08:57:26 AM »

oranges are waaaay better than apples.

You take that back! You take that back now!! rant

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
GNRBABY
Rocker

I'm on you like white on rice mutha fucka!

« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2006, 09:28:21 AM »

This example is BRILLIANT! ok beer

Liar! You should be banned!!  rant
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: