Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:52:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227669 Posts in 43239 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  The Cult
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 102 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Cult  (Read 433187 times)
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« on: January 10, 2006, 10:36:45 AM »

With the obvious historical ties to GNR, some may be interested in this:

www.thecult.us

Official site launch is slated tentatively in a about 2 weeks with announcements of activities for '06 to follow.?

No word on on who else will be involved beyond Ian Astbury and Billy Duffy, all very tight lipped so far.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 10:48:28 AM »

Sounds awesome - i have spent years trying to find better guitar rock albums than 'Love' and 'Sonic Temple', and its no mean feat!

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 11:58:35 AM »

Dont get your hopes up so fast. Something I found at  www.cultcentral.com

From the Cult camp, the rumours are out there that the band will be reforming in 2006. What I'm hearing is that it's going to be for a select few shows and not much more. I think the number of shows will be dependent on the interest. They have new management (same person who's managing the Doors, Tom Vitorino) and he's said that both bands can coexist.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
RichardNixon
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 12:15:25 PM »

What does this mean for the Doors? I thought they had a new CD in the works.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 01:06:32 PM »

KICK ASS

html sucks
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006, 01:37:58 PM »

Dont get your hopes up so fast. Something I found at? www.cultcentral.com

From the Cult camp, the rumours are out there that the band will be reforming in 2006. What I'm hearing is that it's going to be for a select few shows and not much more. I think the number of shows will be dependent on the interest. They have new management (same person who's managing the Doors, Tom Vitorino) and he's said that both bands can coexist.

That is in fact the early word, no one's exactly sure on what will be going on or the level of activity for '06. ?With Ian's dislike for touring, his completed but unreleased work with Trent Reznor and his solo
work with Strokes producer Gordon Raphael, I don't see him committing to The Cult on anything full scale.

Richard - Things with The Doors should move forward although The Doors camp has never really been clear on when new material will be released.

Duffy is busy in '06 as well, ?a random acting role and his uncomfirmed but widely speculated inclusion on the as of yet unnamed project featuring 2 former Cult members that could occupy his time this year.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 08:04:20 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
RichardNixon
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006, 06:39:51 PM »

The Doors are now called "Riders of the Storm," as they can no longer use the word "Doors."
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 07:16:31 PM »

The Doors are now called "Riders of the Storm," as they can no longer use the word "Doors."

Yep, that's correct.?

Former drummer John Densmore has been quite a jackass about it, multiple lawsuits about name usage, earnings from concerts billed as "The Doors of the 21st Century" / "D21C" etc.?

An already filmed episode of VH1's "Decades Rock Live" was also shelved do to Densmore's letigious shenanigens.

Most of the animosity on Densmore's part is attributed to Ray Manzarek's and Robbie Krieger's
decison on using Astbury.? Apparently Densmore and Ian did not hit it off during the filming of VH1's "Storytellers" and things went downhill with the surviving Doors members from that point forward.

Densmore's preference was none other than Scott Weiland...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Kujo
I wonder why we listen to poets,when nobody gives a fuck
Legend

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006, 07:29:06 PM »

Well at least this is something to look forward to in '06.
I've never seen the Cult live but I did see Ian with the Doors last year. Great stage presence.
If they dont come to Florida, I'll be making a field trip if they are anywhere close.

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2006, 08:01:05 PM »

Well at least this is something to look forward to in '06.
I've never seen the Cult live but I did see Ian with the Doors last year. Great stage presence.
If they dont come to Florida, I'll be making a field trip if they are anywhere close.

I've been lucky enough to have seen The Cult a dozen times over the years and I agree, Ian's definately a commanding presence.? No bullshit, no pretention and very demanding, he will not stand for any lack of partipation from his audience.?

Keep in mind he's also prone to the off night voice wise, much better at the beginning of a tour than later, catch them early on if possible.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2006, 08:04:50 PM »

Yep, that's correct.?

Former drummer John Densmore has been quite a jackass about it, multiple lawsuits about name usage, earnings from concerts billed as "The Doors of the 21st Century" / "D21C" etc.?

An already filmed episode of VH1's "Decades Rock Live" was also shelved do to Densmore's letigious shenanigens.

Most of the animosity on Densmore's part is attributed to Ray Manzarek's and Robbie Krieger's
decison on using Astbury.? Apparently Densmore and Ian did not hit it off during the filming of VH1's "Storytellers" and things went downhill with the surviving Doors members from that point forward.

Densmore's preference was none other than Scott Weiland...

I agree with Densmore 100%.  Its a travesty that Robbie and Ray wanted to go on as The Doors.  Charging 75 to 100 US dollars with Ian at the helm.  Ian does a good job, but Densmore doesn't want these guys tarnishing The Doors name for a quick buck.

RichardNixon
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2006, 08:12:29 PM »

I saw "The Doors" with Astbury a few years back and it was a great, great show. It's no bait-and-switch. No one goes there thinking they are going to see Morrison. If anyything, they are keeping the music alive for fans that didn't catch 'em in the 60s/70s. Hoping they release an album of new music.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2006, 08:17:36 PM »

I agree with Densmore 100%.? Its a travesty that Robbie and Ray wanted to go on as The Doors.? Charging 75 to 100 US dollars with Ian at the helm.? Ian does a good job, but Densmore doesn't want these guys tarnishing The Doors name for a quick buck.

I see both sides, although John would've had no problem using the name if his choice would've
won out over Ray and Robbie's.

Personally, I think the whole thing has played itself out. ?The Doors camp is beyond fractured, both fans and band alike.

Remind you of any other band?

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2006, 08:26:29 PM »

I saw "The Doors" with Astbury a few years back and it was a great, great show. It's no bait-and-switch. No one goes there thinking they are going to see Morrison. If anyything, they are keeping the music alive for fans that didn't catch 'em in the 60s/70s. Hoping they release an album of new music.

Just wondering, how were they billed the night you saw them??

"Doors of the 21st Century" I presume?

From all accounts the band has been very open/up front with it's audience about who they were? seeing in a live setting, would you agree?

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2006, 08:32:26 PM »

I agree with Densmore 100%.? Its a travesty that Robbie and Ray wanted to go on as The Doors.? Charging 75 to 100 US dollars with Ian at the helm.? Ian does a good job, but Densmore doesn't want these guys tarnishing The Doors name for a quick buck.

I see both sides, although John would've had no problem using the name if his choice would've
won out over Ray and Robbie's.

I must admit that I'm not too up-to-date on this new version of The Doors, but if thats true, then i guess in a way I wouldn't agree with John either regarding playing.  With such a magnetic personality as Jim was, I think touring under The Doors wouldn't just be right.  The same with GNR.  But thats another can of worms. hihi

On topic, The Cult is a great band and I hope they do get together and make another album.  "Beyond Good and Evil" is a great album and one of the top albums that year.

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2006, 08:49:57 PM »

On topic, The Cult is a great band and I hope they do get together and make another album.? "Beyond Good and Evil" is a great album and one of the top albums that year.

Unfortunately, I don't see them as a recording entity other than a one off soundtrack or something of that nature.? Although the studio is where they shine artistically, it has always been where Billy and Ian's relationship works against them on a personal level.? The tension works great for the finished product but alienates them over extended periods of time.

"Beyond Good And Evil" is a heavy record, not for the feint of heart by any means.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Kujo
I wonder why we listen to poets,when nobody gives a fuck
Legend

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2006, 12:09:43 AM »

Some friends of mine are die hard Cult fanatics. They got a 4 CD box set called "Rare Cult" that just has some amazing stuff on them. They let me burn them so whenever I get bored at work I play some of these songs. I seriously regret not getting into them more in the past.

Another side note on the Doors matter, I agree that Densmore would not be putting up this fight if he got the singer he wanted. I just dont think there is a better choice out there besides Ian. Yes he might have changed his hair style and clothes a bit to be a little more "Morrison-esque" but as far as attitude and mannerism he is the only one that could get up on that stage and come so close to Morrison's style while still being himself.

At one point he addressed the crowd when I saw them with this little announcement "For all of you who thought you were coming to a nice quiet old timers show, I'm sorry but this is a fucking Rock n Roll show. Get off of your asses!" I was converted at that moment. Some of the performers might have been different, but that night I saw "The Doors"

Back on topic: Ummmmmmmmmm, The Cult Rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
RichardNixon
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2006, 12:42:41 AM »

Just wondering, how were they billed the night you saw them??

"Doors of the 21st Century" I presume?

From all accounts the band has been very open/up front with it's audience about who they were? seeing in a live setting, would you agree?

I would agree, sure. And it was billed as "Doors of the 21st Century," which I think sounds much better than "Riders of the Storm," which sounds like a tribute band to me. As far as I was concerned I was seeing the Doors live. Morrison was not the Doors. They were the sum total of all its members. Manzarek and Kreiger were just as important to the sound of the band as Morrison, so I see no problem with 2/3 of its core members (like it matters who plays drums) use the name "The Doors."
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2006, 01:12:38 AM »

Another side note on the Doors matter, I agree that Densmore would not be putting up this fight if he got the singer he wanted. I just dont think there is a better choice out there besides Ian. Yes he might have changed his hair style and clothes a bit to be a little more "Morrison-esque" but as far as attitude and mannerism he is the only one that could get up on that stage and come so close to Morrison's style while still being himself.

I agree, Astbury is the only guy out there that can pull it off.? Huge shoes to fill but they definately got the right man for the job.

It amazing how things come full circle, Oliver Stone offered Ian the role of Jim Morrison while casting his
"The Doors" bio pic.? Here's a snippet from a Poptones interview where Astbury mentions turning down the role.

Oliver Stone asked you to play Jim Morrison in his 1989 epic The Doors. You turned him down but in 2004 you are now playing with key Doors members. Why the change-of-heart?

You have to realise that was in 1989. I was wrapped up in being Ian Astbury in the Cult. So when I got the call from Oliver Stone I had to say no. And I would have said no because I didn?t relate to Hollywood people. And I felt that Oliver Stone was a voyeur to rock?n?roll. It was all so shallow and laughable.

http://www.poptones.co.uk/index.php?/questions_of_doom/more/ian_astbury/

As far as I was concerned I was seeing the Doors live...

I've heard the same reaction from quite a few who've seen them as well, I'm sure that's how Ray and Robbie would want it.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2006, 01:21:16 AM »

"Beyond Good And Evil" is a heavy record, not for the feint of heart by any means.

That's an awesome heavy rock record, it's what I was hoping to get from VR before they put out Contraband.

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 102 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: