Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:24:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  The Cult
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 102 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Cult  (Read 436385 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1240 on: October 15, 2011, 02:45:45 PM »

One of the most interesting guys in music, Eagles Of Death Metal's Jesse Hughes hanging out with Ian Astbury talking women in rock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-UIhHET7PY&feature=player_embedded

That's an interesting clip -- but it's a strange place to have that conversation. yes

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1241 on: October 15, 2011, 03:06:17 PM »

One of the most interesting guys in music, Eagles Of Death Metal's Jesse Hughes hanging out with Ian Astbury talking women in rock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-UIhHET7PY&feature=player_embedded

That's an interesting clip -- but it's a strange place to have that conversation. yes

Interesting indeed.

Jesse's an intriguing guy - smart, funny and aware of what's going on around him culturally.

The women he spoke to after the IA segment were cool too, good insight to the subject matter at hand.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1242 on: October 15, 2011, 03:20:23 PM »

Jesse's an intriguing guy - smart, funny and aware of what's going on around him culturally.

I will say I went into that interview with a totally different impression of him. Wink

The women he spoke to after the IA segment were cool too, good insight to the subject matter at hand.

Yeah, that's a topic you don't see discussed very often.  I'm sure they have a lot more stories than what they shared in the interview.

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1243 on: October 15, 2011, 03:53:00 PM »

I will say I went into that interview with a totally different impression of him. Wink

What impression was that?

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1244 on: October 15, 2011, 05:08:47 PM »

What impression was that?

All the interviews he did after this...

http://www.feelnumb.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/3084134717_4d00aafd29.jpg

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1245 on: October 15, 2011, 05:36:03 PM »

Oh ya, I remember those - I thought they were hysterical. 

Right up there with this:

http://www.eaglesofdeathmetal.com/pages/news/198

I'd love to see The Cult take Jesse/EODM on tour, that woud be a fun gig.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1246 on: October 15, 2011, 06:01:42 PM »

They really did capitalize on that, but I hadn't seen the t-shirt. Cheesy

And I didn't know Chris Wyse was still playing with OWL.

OWL featuring CHRIS WYSE @ THE DELANCEY NYC 06 OCT 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEEkZ_Ojt0g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPDxnhvlqf0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAYdS2BTQWs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POJCOAgJZdI

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1247 on: October 15, 2011, 06:50:25 PM »

And I didn't know Chris Wyse was still playing with OWL

Yep, OWL is Chris' baby, an aquired taste but a great outlet for him musically outside The Cult.

Another interesting factoid, OWL's name is a play on the saying "Wise old owl" as in "WYSE old OWL"..

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1248 on: October 16, 2011, 01:18:40 PM »

Yep, OWL is Chris' baby, an aquired taste but a great outlet for him musically outside The Cult.

Another interesting factoid, OWL's name is a play on the saying "Wise old owl" as in "WYSE old OWL"..

The music is a little different but worth checking out.  So that's where the name came from, it's unusual.

It looks like they're recording a new album and video.

Lil' preview of a new OWL track...
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150482064588574

4 new photos to the album Music Video Shoot - October 2011
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150405871856798.407638.64365436797&type=1

Some serious in-studio discussion of upcoming tracks... ? with John Delehanty and 3 others at O Studios, Albany NY.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150488870873574

?Owl? In Studio With Mrozek [AUDIO]
2 days ago

http://q103albany.com/owl-in-studio-with-mrozek-audio/

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1249 on: October 18, 2011, 05:47:46 PM »

A couple of interesting tweets from AJ today:

"The Cult is back in the studio today. With someone very special- near and dear to their heart! Wish I could tell you who...soon"

Intriguing, no clue who she's talking about.  They've only had one guest on a record to my knowledge, that being Iggy Pop doing a short spoken bit on "New York City" from Sonic Temple. 

There have been a few "additional musician" types but nothing beyond that..

And..

"My Mr. Billy Duffy is an AMERICAN CITIZEN!!-He passed today! I couldn't be more thrilled. Dual citizen, he will always be true blue Brit <3"

It's about time, BD's been a resident of LA for over 20 years..

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1250 on: October 18, 2011, 10:46:56 PM »

From the Viper Room website:

5 QUESTIONS WITH CHRIS WYSE OF OWL

MONDAY, OCT 17 The Cult bassist Chris Wyse brings his stunning solo endeavor, Owl to The World Famous Viper Room.

With an enviable r?sum? that includes touring with Ozzy Osbourne, jamming with Metallica, and appearances with all-star super cover group Camp Freddy, Wyse certainly knows good music, and more importantly how to execute it.

Catch this musician?s musician, before he heads back out on the road, as he takes the stage along with local lovelies- I Will Never Be The Same, Fat City Reprise, The Young Royals, and Barb Wire Dolls.

So the band name and your sort of personal moniker are derived from a company that makes potato chips? Please explain?

Ah yes, the band name came about when I was just a kid. Having the last name Wyse the kids in school would ask, ?Are you the Wise Owl Chris?? This usually happened when I pulled Wise Potato chips out of my Kiss lunch box growing up in NY.

It sounds like the new album is shaping up to be a multimedia concept record. Do you want to tell us about that?

The new Owl record will be released with a video/story developing a comic book type Owl character. The soundtrack of course is the new Owl music. The hero/creature struggles with his supernatural powers but is mostly good. It?s a little more like a witchy/vampire hero. It?s due out around April, but we will have the exact release date soon!!

What?s the ETA for the new Cult record? What can we expect?

The new Cult deal is with Cooking Vinyl. We?re in good company with The Prodigy and Marilyn Manson. The record is nearly done; Ian is probably doing vocals right now. It is due out April 2012!! This record is kind of a Zep/Stooges mix of energy, and I believe showcases a new level of depth for The Cult.

You have pretty much played with everyone who?s anyone in rock. What do you feel has been your greatest musical achievement thus far?

I?ve been very fortunate here in LA. I started teaching for a living and that quickly went into joining bands. I had a great break when Bob Rock and I met. I was with an artist named Tal Bachman that Bob was producing, and he and I really got along. He called me then for The Cult a few years later and several others. I was his only suggestion for a bassist with Metallica. I also had a great run with Jerry Cantrell. I lived with him and we did everything together?Cardboard Vampyres, Camp Freddy, Cantrell solo band and Ozzy Osbourne?s ?Under Cover? album. Hanging and working with Ozzy was awesome. My buddy Mike Bordin called and said, ?Hey, you?re the man on bass if you want it??.the answer was hell yeah!! I?m also proud of the work I?ve done with The Cult. This will be the 3rd album I?ve done with them. The bass playing has evolved into its own style for that band. I?m really enjoying that!!

Do you remember your first time playing the Viper Room? What other notable shows have played here in the past? What, if any, special meaning does this room hold?

The first gig I did at The Viper Room was with Tal Bachman. You guys may remember the one-hit wonder ?She?s So High?. Also, the early stages of Owl were worked out on the Viper stage, where I first took on the front-man position, as well as bass. The Viper is my favorite home base club. Sounds great and everyone is a pro!

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1251 on: October 19, 2011, 12:32:05 PM »

What?s the ETA for the new Cult record? What can we expect?

The new Cult deal is with Cooking Vinyl. We?re in good company with The Prodigy and Marilyn Manson. The record is nearly done; Ian is probably doing vocals right now. It is due out April 2012!! This record is kind of a Zep/Stooges mix of energy, and I believe showcases a new level of depth for The Cult.

That's the first time I think I've heard a release date.  Will this be a "regular" record, not a "capsule"?

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1252 on: October 19, 2011, 03:28:51 PM »

[
That's the first time I think I've heard a release date.  Will this be a "regular" record, not a "capsule"?

Full length record.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1253 on: October 19, 2011, 11:46:25 PM »

I'm not quite sure what to think about this but...

The former girlfriend Ian wrote "Fire Woman" for (Renee Beach) has an "Official" FB page and for whatever reason, I found it worth a look.

Renee's not the person maintaining the page, a Cult fangirl is behind the curtain.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Firewoman-Renee-Beach-Official/262339650466160#!

There's a Q and A with her here:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/sacredsoulcultfamily/doc/10150360039051635/

She's an interesting person beyond her relationship with Ian some 20 odd years ago, she's styled many bands, celebs etc over the years..

An interesting factoid, Renee's the person responsible for taking Axl Rose from this:

to..

And the real story behind the makeover from the woman herself:

Q: Mert Yıldız - Renee I got a question for you regarding the Electric-era tour with GNR. Is it true that you put his trademark scarf on Axl Rose's head for the first time?

A: Hi Mert,

Thank you for your question..

Yes, I put the headband on Axl Rose..

What happened.. was I was finishing up a haircut with Axl
in his dressing room.. during The Cult tour.. GnR was not supposed to go on stage for another hour.. then a panicked crew member banged on the door and said Hey! You guys er on!! What?? No! Ahh! Damn! Umm.. Axl freaked! "I can't go like this"!!
Actually to me Axl's hair was smooth, healthy, shiny and looked awesome Wink
But noo way! "That ain't Rock n Roll"!! Axl's look at the time was like ala Hanoi Rocks! not sleek, nor flat to his head..
Thinking quickly I ran to The Cult's
dressing room, grabbed Ians old smeggy handkerchief from
his flight case, ran back, folded it up and placed it on Axl's head..
We stared.. Axl said "not bad but I look like a pin head"! Umm ok.. Try this! A Cult merch trucker cap over the head band and of course backwards! eek!

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1254 on: October 20, 2011, 01:27:18 PM »

^^ Interesting, that's something I hadn't heard before.  She probably has a lot more stories to tell.

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1255 on: October 20, 2011, 02:23:44 PM »

Full length record.

Ian might not agree with me, but the release of a full length record is just more exciting in my opinion. Smiley

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1256 on: October 20, 2011, 05:31:02 PM »

Full length record.

Ian might not agree with me, but the release of a full length record is just more exciting in my opinion. Smiley

Billy would definitely agree with you. yes
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 06:41:29 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

BurningHills
Legend

Resurrection Joe

« Reply #1257 on: October 21, 2011, 12:41:19 AM »

Is there a way to purchase the Capsule 1 songs? I apparently missed the boat on that release.  no

05.15.06 - Hammerstein Ballroom - New York, NY
11.10.06 - Madison Square Garden - New York, NY
11.20.11 - Mohegan Sun Arena - Wilkes-Barre, PA
02.27.12 - Electric Factory - Philadelphia, PA
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1258 on: October 21, 2011, 04:44:01 PM »

Is there a way to purchase the Capsule 1 songs? I apparently missed the boat on that release.  no

They were of llimited release and are no longer officially available.

Translation: EBAY!

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1259 on: October 26, 2011, 01:52:30 PM »

A new unconfirmed date has popped up, playing the "Sinners Day" fest Oct. 30th in Belgium.

Ian's probably over the moon playing on the same bill as Patti Smith, one of his favorites.

http://www.sinnersday.com/content/home

Ian's definitely looking forward to the above, this from The Cult's twitter:

*The Cult?s Ian Astbury on Patti Smith*:

"As we rush headlong into the abyss of spectacle and materialism it is refreshing to encounter a seer who ignites our spirits in a way that few other contemporary performers can. To share the stage with Patti Smith is a privilege and a great honor. Moments like this define my love of live music, performance and ritual space. The fact that we are playing In Hasselt on the banks of the Meuse that connects us to Charleville (the birth place of MissSmith's hero Arthur Rimbaud, patron Saint of Iconoclasts everywhere) heightens the romance and mystique of this event." ? Ian Astbury

The Cult and Patti Smith will be headlining the Sinner?s Day Festival on October 30 at the Ethias Arena in Belgium.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 102 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: