Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:22:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227808 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  The Cult
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 102 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Cult  (Read 435873 times)
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1360 on: February 25, 2012, 01:00:43 PM »

Another Euro date:

Bospop Festival in Weert, Holland on July 8th

The Cult, Alanis Morissette, Gavin DeGraw,  Tom Jones, Patti Smith and Needtobreathe on the main stage.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1361 on: February 25, 2012, 01:58:56 PM »

And another:

http://musicanomaximo.tmn.pt/mvtmn/

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1362 on: February 27, 2012, 06:23:46 PM »

A new interview with Ian from Artist Direct:

http://www.artistdirect.com/entertainment-news/article/ian-astbury-of-the-cult-talks-choice-of-weapon/9910294

Ian Astbury of The Cult Talks "Choice of Weapon"

Mon, 27 Feb 2012 07:55:36
Choice of Weapon is an apropos title for The Cult's new album.

They've wielded music like a weapon since 1984's Dreamtime, and they continue to do so to this day. Choice of Weaponmay very well be the group's most incisive, infectious, and irresistible album ever though. The first single "Lucifer" emanates a raw vitality that's undeniably vibrant, while "For the Animals" is raucous rock 'n' roll of the highest order. Frontman Ian Astbury sounds as magnetic as ever, and the record remains another landmark for the legendary band.

In this exclusive interview with ARTISTdirect.com editor in chief Rick Florino, The Cult mainman Ian Astbury talks Choice of Weapon, what inspires him, and so much more.

Do you feel like there's a new vitality in the band on Choice of Weapon?

It's strange. When you're a kid, you're very earnest. You come out of what's there. You're very raw. You plug into what's going on. As you develop as an artist, you start trying to pull it apart, figure out how it works, and make it work to your advantage. That's when you start going long. You start questioning what you're doing and trying to make it better. You go through a period of that, and then you go past that. Then, you find a place where you're plugged into who you are. You've got really good self-knowledge. You know your strengths and you know your weakness. That's when you can really go to work. There's a real core confidence, and you plug into what you are. The Cult is a collaboration. Chris Goss had a huge influence on us consolidating our sound. Bob Rock had a huge influence on us making this record. It's the first time we've actually worked with two producers on one record apart from the Electric album. That was two separate recordings of a body of work. This is actually the same body of work worked on by two incredible producers. I think there are a lot of elements that made it possible. There are a lot of life experiences. I left Los Angeles seven years ago. I just had to get away from the city, go, rediscover, and reinvent myself. I think a lot of that has gone into the record as well.

When did you return to Los Angeles?

I came back about a year ago.

So, it's like you're new again.

Yeah, the city's brand new to me. I don't know anybody here [Laughs]. I know my way around because I was always coming back here. I have a very small circle of friends. I don't know anything socially. I pretty much restrict myself to the same three restaurants. I hang out in Los Feliz and Silverlake. I'm unfamiliar with the city, and it's really interesting.

Was recording a quick process for Choice of Weapon?

It was. It's like lightning in a bottle. It's about grabbing things very quickly. I said to Billy, "Give me what you've got." We sat down with the riffs. I grabbed what I liked immediately and started constructing it almost instantaneously. Pro Tools is fantastic for writing. It's such an incredible tool. You can throw something up there pretty quickly and get an approximation of what it could possibly be. Then you can free dry it to keep it fresh. When you come back to it, you've got a very good template to work from. We'd tour, come back, and work with Chris in the studio. Then, we did some sessions with him in the desert. You go from that discovery period to development. Everybody has ideas, but it's about execution. How can you take that fresh idea and keep that intensity and relevance throughout a session? That's a trick you learn over time.

What's the story behind "Lucifer"?

Originally, I saw a billboard on La Brea Avenue dedicated to Bunker Spreckels from Kenneth Anger. Bunker was a very famous surfer in the '70s. He was incredibly talented, and he was the heir to the Spreckels sugar dynasty. Overnight, he found himself to be a millionaire. He had an incredibly glamorous lifestyle. He was working on a film, which was where he was putting his money. The next thing you know, he's traveling the world, flying in private planes, riding in limousines, and living the rock star lifestyle with beautiful girls. He was the bad boy, hunter, surfer, martial arts expert, and real ladies' man. Taschen put out a book about him. There's a film being made called Bunker Spreckels 77. I saw the billboard and it said, "Bunker Spreckels My Surfing Lucifer". I thought it was really striking so I came up with the phrase, "You are my Lucifer". I'm a great devotee of Kenneth Anger, the symbolism in his films, and the meaning behind those films. The idea of him tying with this iconic young surfer really struck me. The phrase "rock star" is so worn out. It's like accountants are now rock stars. Nine-year-old girls are now rock stars. It's an energy drink. The phrase is tired. What does it actually mean? What does it mean to party like a rock star? Does it mean you're living high on the hog? The hip hop community certainly flaunts its successes as part of its cultural credo. As far as rock 'n' rollers go, we're in an amorphous space right now. I think rock 'n' rollers don't have to be rock 'n' rollers. The core thing was always the music. The lifestyle came out as an extension of success. It's a little bit darker in reality. I used Bunker Spreckels as a vehicle to enter this place of divine decadence, material attachment, and the darker things that start happening after midnight when the daytrippers have moved away and you move into move into this place that can very dangerous quickly.

Where does the idea of "Lucifer" enter?

It's not a song about the devil. "Lucifer" is a reference to the morning star, Venus. It actually has a very positive connotation. What is somebody looking for when they're going through this dark space and decadence? They must be looking for something. Their spirit is searching. I like the idea that "the road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom". It's that William Blake quote which Jim Morrison used immensely and a whole generation used as a mantra. However, I think we forgot the "palace of wisdom" part. We focused on the "road of excess" and here we are. The song can have a very veneer meaning if you just like the melodic flow and break beat. Or, you can go really deep into it. There are a lot of elements that went into it. I like to grab lots of different ingredients and throw them into a lyrical mix and see how they come up. However you look at it, there's a reflective quality, and it's always up to the listener's interpretation. The cool thing about art is it's subjective. Everybody is right. There is no wrong interpretation because everyone has a different perspective.

What were you reading while working on Choice of Weapon?

I tend to crack open a lot of books, get to page 137, and pick up another back. I dabble in lots of things. I was reading the Kenneth Anger biography. I was reading Notes from the Underground by Fyodor Dostoyevsky and a lot of art books. I'm interested in the Australian art critic Robert Hughes. I love him. I was reading bits and piece of the teachings of Osho. I love to listen to podcast and books on tape. In terms of literature, there's a great novel called Sway which I really liked. It put together Kenneth Anger, Charles Manson, and The Rolling Stones in separate chapters but linked them all up at Altamont. I think Sway is a fantastic novel. It's one of those books you can't put down. I'm an avid reader of magazines?especially fashion magazines. I've always been a street kid. I grew up in the '70s in England, and Vivienne Westwood was very important to me. As a fashion-o-phile, I've always observed cultural trends and street fashion. So much has happened in street fashion that's almost like a culture barometer. For example, look at Supreme in New York or Los Angeles. I think James Jebbia has done an amazing job of curating the culture. He can get phenomenal collaborations. If you want to find out what's going on with the culture in a quick way, walk into Supreme. I lived in New York for three years. I spent a period in Vancouver, and I spent a small period traveling the Himalayas and being in India. You take all of those things, and there's a constant pool of information coming and going. That's all life experience. Then, there's the Internet [Laughs]. After a while, the Internet becomes too two-dimensional and I have to go experience it. Tokyo is amazing. If I ever find myself getting stale here, I jump on a plane and I'm in Tokyo for five or six days and I walk around and regenerate. There are a lot of experiences and observations going on within the record.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1363 on: February 28, 2012, 12:29:36 PM »

Another date confirmed:

SATURDAY, MAY 5 in MEMPHIS, TN

BEALE STREET MUSIC FESTIVAL

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1364 on: February 29, 2012, 10:17:17 PM »

Looking like The Cult won't be doing the US to much degree til after the summer..

Subject to change of course but that's the likely scenario as of right now.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

BurningHills
Legend

Resurrection Joe

« Reply #1365 on: March 01, 2012, 01:17:14 AM »

Looking like The Cult won't be doing the US to much degree til after the summer..

As much as I'd like to see them ASAP, I can't deny that it makes sense.

Hit the major showcases, drop the album, create a buzz, do the Euro festivals, and then come back with high demand for the shows.

05.15.06 - Hammerstein Ballroom - New York, NY
11.10.06 - Madison Square Garden - New York, NY
11.20.11 - Mohegan Sun Arena - Wilkes-Barre, PA
02.27.12 - Electric Factory - Philadelphia, PA
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1366 on: March 01, 2012, 11:56:35 AM »

As much as I'd like to see them ASAP, I can't deny that it makes sense.

Hit the major showcases, drop the album, create a buzz, do the Euro festivals, and then come back with high demand for the shows.

I'm knda of a different mind on this, hit the US (their strongest market) for a run before Europe
to capitilize on a new single and album release - strike while the iron is hot before it loses domestic momentum.

As said above, all subject to change so we'll see how it plays out.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

BurningHills
Legend

Resurrection Joe

« Reply #1367 on: March 01, 2012, 01:38:37 PM »

The deluxe edition of the album seems to be getting shuffled around a bit.

I received an email from Amazon last week that the release date was moved up, and now another one today that it was moved back again.

Confusing, to say the least.

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1368 on: March 01, 2012, 02:49:50 PM »

The deluxe edition of the album seems to be getting shuffled around a bit.

I received an email from Amazon last week that the release date was moved up, and now another one today that it was moved back again.

Confusing, to say the least.

Word is it has been cancelled altogether - semi confirmed.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

BurningHills
Legend

Resurrection Joe

« Reply #1369 on: March 01, 2012, 02:55:53 PM »

Same fate as the fan pack? That would suck. Was really looking forward to having the Capaule tracks.

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1370 on: March 01, 2012, 03:08:45 PM »

Same fate as the fan pack? That would suck. Was really looking forward to having the Capaule tracks.

My mistake, deluxe is good to go - fanpack is a goner so it seems.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1371 on: March 01, 2012, 05:56:03 PM »

A lil promo for the Auditorium Shores Stage headline gig at SXSW, pretty cool shit:

« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 08:51:32 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

BurningHills
Legend

Resurrection Joe

« Reply #1372 on: March 02, 2012, 02:30:28 PM »

And I just received another email today saying that the release has been pushed back up again.

WTF?!

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1373 on: March 02, 2012, 02:50:23 PM »

And I just received another email today saying that the release has been pushed back up again.

WTF?!

From Amazon?

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

BurningHills
Legend

Resurrection Joe

« Reply #1374 on: March 02, 2012, 04:13:30 PM »

WTF?!

From Amazon?

Yep.

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1375 on: March 03, 2012, 03:30:14 PM »

3 Italian dates have popped up:

13 July 2012 PIAZZOLA SUL BRENTA (PD) Villa Contarini

14 July 2012 RIMINI Velvet

15 July 2012 MILANO Carroponte
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 11:43:36 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1376 on: March 05, 2012, 02:33:43 PM »

Billy doing a cool show for Marshall Amps...

Iconic British brand Marshall, the world's most famous and revolutionary amp producer, celebrates its Golden Anniversary year cementing its place in musical history. To celebrate 50 legendary years of musical innovation, Marshall is taking over Wembley Arena for a full-on rock and roll riot on Saturday, September 22. The groundbreaking artist lineup is as pioneering as the brand itself and includes global rock royalty from bands including IRON MAIDEN, SLIPKNOT, WHITESNAKE, CHICKENFOOT, THE CULT, BLACK LABEL SOCIETY and many more. Tickets from the event go on sale Friday, March 9 at 9 a.m. and can be purchased via LiveNation.co.uk.

http://www.marshallamps.com/images/home/50thconcertpopup/50thpopup.html

« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 02:36:00 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1377 on: March 05, 2012, 03:21:28 PM »

Euro Tour Dates:

June
28 - Belgrade, Serbia - USCE Park (with Ozzy & Friends)
29 - Graz, Austria - Schwarzl Freizeit Zetrum (with GN'R)

July
1 - Bucharest, Romania - Rock the City Festival (with GN'R, Faith No More)
3 - Split, Croatia - Spaladium Arena (headline)
4 - Ljubljana, Slovenia - Kino Siska (headline)
7 - Zottegem, Belgium, Rock Zottegem Festival
8 - Weert, Netherlands - Bospop Festival
10 - Utrecht, Netherlands - Tivoli (headline)
13 - Pizzola Sul Brenta, Italy - Contarini Festival (headline)
14 - Rimini, Italy - Velvet Rock (headline)
15 - Milano, Italy - Carroponte (headline)
17 - Barcelona, Spain - Razzmatazz (headline)
18 - Madrid, Spain - La Riviera (headline)
19 - Porto, Portugal - Mares Vivas Festival (with Garbage)

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

BurningHills
Legend

Resurrection Joe

« Reply #1378 on: March 05, 2012, 03:39:17 PM »

Euro Tour Dates:

June
28 - Belgrade, Serbia - USCE Park (with Ozzy & Friends)
29 - Graz, Austria - Schwarzl Freizeit Zetrum (with GN'R)

July
1 - Bucharest, Romania - Rock the City Festival (with GN'R, Faith No More)
3 - Split, Croatia - Spaladium Arena (headline)
4 - Ljubljana, Slovenia - Kino Siska (headline)
7 - Zottegem, Belgium, Rock Zottegem Festival
8 - Weert, Netherlands - Bospop Festival
10 - Utrecht, Netherlands - Tivoli (headline)
13 - Pizzola Sul Brenta, Italy - Contarini Festival (headline)
14 - Rimini, Italy - Velvet Rock (headline)
15 - Milano, Italy - Carroponte (headline)
17 - Barcelona, Spain - Razzmatazz (headline)
18 - Madrid, Spain - La Riviera (headline)
19 - Porto, Portugal - Mares Vivas Festival (with Garbage)

Looks like May and early June for the US then?

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1379 on: March 05, 2012, 04:49:17 PM »

Looks like May and early June for the US then?

That would definitely make sense although I'm still hearing US in the fall.

Stay tuned..

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 102 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: