Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:50:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227700 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  The Cult
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 102 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Cult  (Read 433868 times)
BurningHills
Legend

Resurrection Joe

« Reply #1540 on: May 07, 2012, 10:27:18 PM »

Setlists from the Birmingham and Memphis festival shows this past weekend:

Lil' Devil
Honey From A Knife
Rain
Nirvana
Lucifer
Embers
Fire Woman
The Wolf
Wildflower
The Phoenix
For The Animals
Spiritwalker
She Sells Sanctuary
Love Removal Machine

Not bad!

05.15.06 - Hammerstein Ballroom - New York, NY
11.10.06 - Madison Square Garden - New York, NY
11.20.11 - Mohegan Sun Arena - Wilkes-Barre, PA
02.27.12 - Electric Factory - Philadelphia, PA
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1541 on: May 07, 2012, 10:37:40 PM »

Lil' Devil
Honey From A Knife
Rain
Nirvana
Lucifer
Embers
Fire Woman
The Wolf
Wildflower
The Phoenix
For The Animals
Spiritwalker
She Sells Sanctuary
Love Removal Machine

Not bad!

It's a cool blend of old and new, I'm not a huge fan of "Embers" although it's taken on a bit of a different life live. 

The other 4 new songs are all heavy and the guys seem to really enjoy playing them live, they fit well with
classics.

I don't expect the setlist to change much as they move into the US tour at the end of this month, they'll add a few songs I suspect.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
BurningHills
Legend

Resurrection Joe

« Reply #1542 on: May 07, 2012, 10:41:23 PM »

Lil' Devil
Honey From A Knife
Rain
Nirvana
Lucifer
Embers
Fire Woman
The Wolf
Wildflower
The Phoenix
For The Animals
Spiritwalker
She Sells Sanctuary
Love Removal Machine

Not bad!

It's a cool blend of old and new, I'm not a huge fan of "Embers" although it's taken on a bit of a different life live. 

The other 4 new songs are all heavy and the guys seem to really enjoy playing them live, they fit well with
classics.

I don't expect the setlist to change much as they move into the US tour at the end of this month, they'll add a few songs I suspect.

I'll guess that Sweet Soul Sister, Rise, Nirvana, and Edie will make their way back.

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1543 on: May 07, 2012, 10:53:51 PM »

Lil' Devil
Honey From A Knife
Rain
Nirvana
Lucifer
Embers
Fire Woman
The Wolf
Wildflower
The Phoenix
For The Animals
Spiritwalker
She Sells Sanctuary
Love Removal Machine

Not bad!

classics.

I'll guess that Sweet Soul Sister, Rise, Nirvana, and Edie will make their way back.

Nirvana will definitely stay in there, the others are good bets although Ian has eluded to doing Electric Ocean
and/or King Contrary Man from Electric.

Rise is one of my favorites live, it is just relentless.

You're gonna get anyhere from 16-18/19 songs over about an hour twenty/hour and a half - no solos or extended jams.

They pretty much beat the hell out of ya from the get-go and don't let up, it's a rock show not a recital.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
BurningHills
Legend

Resurrection Joe

« Reply #1544 on: May 07, 2012, 10:57:38 PM »

Lil' Devil
Honey From A Knife
Rain
Nirvana
Lucifer
Embers
Fire Woman
The Wolf
Wildflower
The Phoenix
For The Animals
Spiritwalker
She Sells Sanctuary
Love Removal Machine

Not bad!

classics.

Nirvana will definitely stay in there, the others are good bets although Ian has eluded to doing Electric Ocean
and/or King Contrary Man from Electric.

Rise is one of my favorites live, it is just relentless.

You're gonna get anyhere from 16-18/19 songs over about an hour twenty/hour and a half - no solos or extended jams.

They pretty much beat the hell out of ya from the get-go and don't let up, it's a rock show not a recital.

No complaints about THAT!

Kind of a bummer that they've disowned the Ceremony album..would love to hear Wild Hearted Son or Heart Of Soul.

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1545 on: May 07, 2012, 11:17:35 PM »

No complaints about THAT!

Kind of a bummer that they've disowned the Ceremony album..would love to hear Wild Hearted Son or Heart Of Soul.

They've done "White" and "Wonderland" from Ceremony on recent tours, "Heart of Soul" and "Wild Hearted Son"
never have remerged since the Ceremonial Stomp tour.

WHS just never worked well live unfortunately...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1546 on: May 08, 2012, 12:27:31 AM »

"Choice Of Weapon" pre order links world wide:

http://thecult.cookingvinyl.com/

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

BurningHills
Legend

Resurrection Joe

« Reply #1547 on: May 08, 2012, 12:40:28 AM »

"Choice Of Weapon" pre order links world wide:

http://thecult.cookingvinyl.com/

I wonder if my pre-order from amazon.co.uk will ship early so that I have it in time for release day.

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1548 on: May 08, 2012, 03:24:42 PM »

More Kimmel and Choice Of Weapon hoopla from PowerLine mag, some serious praise on Choice Of Weapon
below.

The Cult will be the musical guest on ABC-TV?s ?Jimmy Kimmel Live!? on Friday, May 18, marking the band?s second appearance on the late-night network television show. ?Jimmy Kimmel Live!? airs at 12:00AM ET and PT/11:00PM CT. Fans are invited to attend the taping ? go to www.1iota.com for information on obtaining tickets, or log onto www.thecult.us/ for more information.

For the telecast, The Cult will perform a track from their new album, Choice of Weapon, due out May 22, as well as one of the band?s classics. In addition, the band will play three more songs that will be made available exclusively on the ?Kimmel? website.

Choice of Weapon has already begun to get stellar press reviews, with the consensus being that it?s the band?s best album since their Platinum-selling Sonic Temple. Both the UK?s Mojo and Record Collector gave it a 4-Star review with Record Collector proclaiming it to be ?their best album in years ? probably decades;? Q magazine called it ?brilliant,? and response from U.S. outlets has been as enthusiastic: ??the group?s most incisive, infectious, and irresistible album ever?? ??Choice of Weapon captures the best essence of the band?s sound from Electric and Sonic Temple while pushing it forward?? ??pretty sensational??

The Cult?s appearance on ?Jimmy Kimmel Live!? precedes the band?s busy summer touring schedule that kicks off May 25 in San Diego, CA with the first leg of its 2012 North American Tour. The 20-date trek will take the band to major and secondary markets across the continent, and includes shows in New York and Los Angeles. A three-week European trek, where the band will headline their own concerts as well as share stages with Ozzy and Guns N? Roses, begins in Belgrade on June 28.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1549 on: May 08, 2012, 04:08:20 PM »

Here's a link and a blurb about Ian's clothing line, LAMF:

http://www.lostateminor.com/2012/05/09/the-cults-ian-astburys-new-clothing-label-lamf/

May 9, 2012 | New Fashion | by  Ian Astbury from The Cult|

A while back, I started to make clothes for myself and friends. Now repped by the likes of Lupe Fiasco and M.I.A, this is clothing for savants and dilettantes. The label is available exclusively at Supply Sydney and Union Los Angeles.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1550 on: May 08, 2012, 04:19:42 PM »

An interesting tweet from Jane's Addiction's Perry Farrell today concerning his long running feud with Ian Astbury over Farrell's pilfering the Lollapalooza idea from Ian and the late Bill Graham's Gathering Of The Tribes Festival.

Perry Farrell‏
@perryfarrell

Yes. Staying mad takes too much effort rt @Mafia_Marz66: how did you like sharing the bill with the cult? Were you cool with ian and billy?

I wonder if Ian shares his sentiments...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1551 on: May 08, 2012, 09:33:10 PM »

http://headbangerwoman.com/2012/05/08/ian-astbury-interview/

On a scale of One to Rock Star, music fans would probably award Ian Astbury, singer of The Cult, The Doors and again since 2006, The Cult, at least an 8.5.

Astbury would probably disagree. An unassuming, gently spoken and seemingly very spiritual soul, he would be content with listeners for his current Choice Of Weapon, his voice, fronting The Cult once again for this new release, due on May 22nd 2012.

The Cult have held onto audio that is reminiscent of sounds gone by and it would be hard not to with such a strong vocal presence. But Choice Of Weapon is current and new and there is an additional, spiritual and sometimes frighteningly dark edge.

?Buddhism would suggest no separation and no duality.? Astbury advised when questioned about a crossover, a not too noticeable Doors influence on the songs Pale Horse and This Night In The City Forever.

?Being that intimate with Ray (Manzarek) and Robbie (Kreiger), in that environment for such a long time, I am sure was influential. I did 150 shows with those guys, we played LA Woman (by The Doors) in its entirety for many shows. It is probably engrained in my DNA. Ray and Robbie created a ritual space. If you know anything about Shamanism you will know that they use drums to create an environment where you fall out of cognition into a more essential place.?

As the Doors influence is not glaringly obvious to an ear that is not attentive, it is apparent if close attention is paid, would this perhaps suggest a spiritual connect to Jim Morrisson?

?There is probably not a spiritual connection on a personal level. Morrisson was an intuitive individual. Ray, Robbie and John (Densmore) created a ritual space. They were defining the moment. It was a defined and refined space. In our culture if the power goes out in the City, people lose their shit. Everything requires constant definition in Western society. Ritual space is not an everyday occurrence. There was a specific intention to the space, they pushed Morrisson into that place. At one point I was like, WOW, I?m feeling what was going through him (Morrisson). Like a lightning rod, it was very powerful.?

Something else that is not glaringly obvious until you play the record a few times is the fact that it is seamless. It starts and it ends and then comes the need, perhaps even urgency, to re-listen. It could be likened to a state of hypnosis. ?Then we have done our job.? Astbury confirms on the groups latest body of work.

Along with the spiritual feel there is a definite air of darkness and death on Choice Of Weapon. It has to be questioned, was Astbury perhaps dealing with his own mortality or confronting a fear of death going into writing for this record?

?I was going through a very challenging period. I was confronting my Dark Knight of the Soul. I did feel out of sync with my environment and the times I was living in. I felt a disconnect. After visits to Nepal and India where they have very full spiritual lives and give little thought to material possessions, then back to living in New York City where there is a rampant materialism, I developed a desire to better understand the cycle of life and soul. During that time I was also going through a very difficult relationship break-up and then a very, very, close, dear friend took his own life. Death is the great mystery. But here I am! There is now an awareness that I have, guided by Buddhism. I do not label myself, as Buddhist or as anything else. There are so many schools and degrees. It is all philosophy. I look to Buddhism for text and teachers for wisdom, along with some Western influence in the form of Paganism and several indigenous teachings.?

The indigenous referral has been around since the first Cult record, Dreamtime in 1984. Does this mean that Astbury is aware of a personal spirit guide? ?It is possible.? There is not an instant denial about this. ?I have felt a hand, a presence of energy that has guided me. There is an intuition out of a cognitive place. Rationalization perhaps nullifies it. If I do have access then I perhaps choose not to discuss it.? Of course there is a little way to go to a full admission also!

It is obvious that Astburys spiritual leanings are totally essential to the voice that he has developed over the last three decades, both as a very successful singer and as a spokesman in life. In this progression and accompanying that vocal development much sadness, loss, and happiness have occurred. Continuing with the progression of life and learning, Astbury, along the path of life became and remains a very proud father and he airs a particularly protective voice when he speaks of any children, not just his own. Life>Death is the song for the younger generation finding a path for their own life and the older generation realizing what has gone before and the things that can no longer be changed. Eerily accurate as a reminder of what was and what could be. Lyrically spine chilling if correctly absorbed. This song alone stands as a reminder of how The Cult became popular and why they remain influential and of the moment.

Where then can Astbury next expect to lend his Choice Of Weapon, either silently in the wings or vocally on the main stage? The track Ghost on the Slash release of April 2010, which also featured former Guns N Roses guitarist Izzy Stradlin, was a commercial success with the obvious vocal presence of Astbury in the vocal lead and although best known as the voice of The Cult, it would be a certain shame for this poignant voice to not have input on an artistic level in additional outlets. Astbury answers with a revelation when this is suggested. ?I would love to do Opera, although it is an extremely disciplined genre. I did a little previously but it is a definite lifestyle change. Perhaps a little too much discipline required. I previously did some recording with Trent Reznor (Oscar winner and Nine Inch Nails frontman) but that has not seen the light of day. I think I would like to be part of a collaboration, I like working as part of a team. Film would definitely be something I am interested in though more in a Directional or Production capacity. Not for recognition, but because it is something I enjoy doing. As for singing, I admire Lady Gaga as an artist. She is an incredible talent. Pink also. I would work with either!?

Supporters of Astbury should then be on the look-out for this spiritual and philosophical man to just pop up anywhere and perhaps everywhere. A talent in more than one field and a man whose current Choice Of Weapon, his voice, should be listened to very closely and considered in a Cult like seriousness.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1552 on: May 08, 2012, 10:12:40 PM »

http://www.lostateminor.com/2012/05/09/the-cults-ian-astburys-new-clothing-label-lamf/

A while back, I started to make clothes for myself and friends. Now repped by the likes of Lupe Fiasco and M.I.A, this is clothing for savants and dilettantes. The label is available exclusively at Supply Sydney and Union Los Angeles.

That's an interesting clothing line.  It's a little bit G.I. Joe meets French sailor -- but then again I don't consider myself either a savant or a dilettante.Grin

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1553 on: May 09, 2012, 12:09:04 AM »

That's an interesting clothing line.  It's a little bit G.I. Joe meets French sailor -- but then again I don't consider myself either a savant or a dilettante.Grin

He's had the line out for a while, there's a few more pieces beyond the 2 featured in the article.

A t shirt bringing attention to DARFUR he did got some heavy pub a couple of years ago.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1554 on: May 09, 2012, 12:15:04 AM »

I've been to a bazillion Cult shows over the years and have always been amazed by the diversity of the crowds they pull, it's a people watching bonanza.

With the above in mind, the following news should amplify said diversity to the nth degree for the US leg of the "Choose Your Weapon " tour  starting late this month with support from Against Me! and The Icarus Line.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_PEOPLE_TOM_GABEL?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Against Me!'s Tom Gabel is becoming a woman

NEW YORK (AP) -- Tom Gabel, the lead singer of punk rock band Against Me!, says he's becoming a woman.

The 31-year-old tells Rolling Stone that as a kid he felt disconnected from his body and has a condition called gender dysphoria. He plans to take hormones and undergo electrolysis. He also is considering gender reassignment surgery.

Says Gabel: "Growing up, my experience with transsexualism was nothing but shame."

Gabel says his new name will be Laura Jane Grace. He says he's not attracted to men and will still be married to his wife. They have a 2-year-old daughter.

Against Me! is best known for the song "Thrash Unreal." The group will hit the road for its tour with The Cult later this month.

The June issue of Rolling Stone hits newsstands Friday.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1555 on: May 09, 2012, 02:07:00 PM »

Billy Duffy talks about the new album with David Ellefson and Frank Bello at the RGGA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua6lyEWJIqU

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1556 on: May 10, 2012, 01:08:29 AM »

A good interview with Ian from Hard Radio:

http://shar.es/2Ael4

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1557 on: May 10, 2012, 11:51:39 AM »

Audio interview from Billy from WMMR in Philly, pimpin' the record and the upcoming tour:

Very insightful, talks about everything under the sun - a must listen if you're into 'em.

http://www.wmmr.com/shows/weekends/blogentry.aspx?BlogEntryID=10381846
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 12:23:20 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1558 on: May 10, 2012, 11:57:20 AM »

"Honey From A Knife: live from the Beale Steet Music Fest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBUQ8cFDAIw&feature=youtu.be

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

BurningHills
Legend

Resurrection Joe

« Reply #1559 on: May 10, 2012, 01:14:37 PM »

Really feels like the guys are just going to explode once the tour kicks in to high gear and the album comes out. I still can't believe all of the press that they're getting!

Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 102 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: