Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:31:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227787 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  The Cult
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 102 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Cult  (Read 435523 times)
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1660 on: May 28, 2012, 08:48:11 PM »

That was the set from last night's great show in SF!

Ali

+Horse Nation

SF Setlist

Lil' Devil
Honey from a Knife
Rain
Lucifer
Nirvana
Horse Nation
Embers
Fire Woman
The Wolf
Wild Flower
The Phoenix
For the Animals
Spiritwalker
She Sells Sanctuary

Encore:
Love Removal Machine

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
BurningHills
Legend

Resurrection Joe

« Reply #1661 on: May 28, 2012, 11:50:57 PM »

Ali

+Horse Nation

SF Setlist

Lil' Devil
Honey from a Knife
Rain
Lucifer
Nirvana
Horse Nation
Embers
Fire Woman
The Wolf
Wild Flower
The Phoenix
For the Animals
Spiritwalker
She Sells Sanctuary

Encore:
Love Removal Machine

There's one additional song!  ok

Not a huge fan of "Dreamtime", but I'll take "Horse Nation" in any set along with "Spiritwalker."

05.15.06 - Hammerstein Ballroom - New York, NY
11.10.06 - Madison Square Garden - New York, NY
11.20.11 - Mohegan Sun Arena - Wilkes-Barre, PA
02.27.12 - Electric Factory - Philadelphia, PA
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #1662 on: May 29, 2012, 01:43:02 AM »

Ali

+Horse Nation

SF Setlist

Lil' Devil
Honey from a Knife
Rain
Lucifer
Nirvana
Horse Nation
Embers
Fire Woman
The Wolf
Wild Flower
The Phoenix
For the Animals
Spiritwalker
She Sells Sanctuary

Encore:
Love Removal Machine

Yes, I forgot there was an additional song. My mistake. It was kind of a blur Smiley Ian seemed to be quite a fan of the venue, he talked about visiting a book store in the city and at one point wore a Giants cap.

More than anything, Billy's playing was spectacular. Ian's vocals were great.

Ali
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1663 on: May 29, 2012, 10:22:45 AM »

Yes, I forgot there was an additional song. My mistake. It was kind of a blur Smiley Ian seemed to be quite a fan of the venue, he talked about visiting a book store in the city and at one point wore a Giants cap.

Ali

Your observation with Ian and the venue are right on the money, that's one of the bands favorite places to play dating back to their long friendship with Bill Graham before he passed away.

Great to hear the band performed well and you enjoyed the gig, hopefully some youtube stuff will pop up soon enough. ok

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1664 on: May 29, 2012, 11:10:43 AM »

Rumor has it Ian married girlfriend Aimee Nash (of The Black Ryder) last night in Vegas.

Well done IA, well done.

Confirmed:

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20599219,00.html

British rocker Ian Astbury is a married man.

The "She Sells Sanctuary" singer, 50, and Black Ryder singer/guitarist Aimee Nash "were married on Saturday afternoon, May 26, at the Little Old Church of the West," his band's rep confirms to PEOPLE.

The couple tied the knot before The Cult's concert at M Resort in Las Vegas that same night.

A source says they met when Nash's band opened for The Cult in Australia and that they had been engaged for several months.

The Cult just kicked off a U.S. tour in support of new album Choice of Weapon.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1665 on: May 29, 2012, 02:04:12 PM »

A few snippets from Frisco, enjoy Ali! ok

Rain:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=msez5uP5UzU&feature=endscreen

Nirvana:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF1aeVQ1Ors

Horse Nation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D31clRDAeI&feature=relmfu

Wild Flower:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ5goi9_IJU&NR=1&feature=endscreen

Wild Flower (Billy's solo)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRxechHBHL8&NR=1&feature=endscreen

Spiritwalker:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7UshzTk66Y&NR=1&feature=endscreen

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Ali
Legend

« Reply #1666 on: May 29, 2012, 02:21:33 PM »

Ali

Your observation with Ian and the venue are right on the money, that's one of the bands favorite places to play dating back to their long friendship with Bill Graham before he passed away.

Great to hear the band performed well and you enjoyed the gig, hopefully some youtube stuff will pop up soon enough. ok
Yeah, I really dug "Spiritwalker" and "Wild Flower" and the new songs like "For the Animals", "Lucifer" and "Honey from a Knife".  It was interesting hearing the new material mixed in a live set with the old.  You can feel and hear the sonic transition.  The newer material feels and sounds a little nastier and more aggressive than a lot of the older material.  That's cool.  I really like the new record.  I would've loved to have heard "Life>Death" or "Edie (Ciao Baby)", though.  Maybe next time  ok

Billy Duffy really doesn't get enough recognition for his talent in terms of lead guitar playing and writing good riffs.  That much is crystal clear from the other night.

Ali
Ali
Legend

« Reply #1667 on: May 29, 2012, 02:22:39 PM »

Fantastic.  Thanks.

Ali
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1668 on: May 29, 2012, 02:35:53 PM »

I would've loved to have heard "Life>Death" or "Edie (Ciao Baby)", though.  Maybe next time 

Life>Death will make it in the setlist eventually, Ian said he considers that and the other mid tempo stuff from "Choice Of Weapon" to be more suited for colder weather - kinda makes sense
in an Astbury sort of way.

Billy Duffy really doesn't get enough recognition for his talent in terms of lead guitar playing and writing good riffs.  That much is crystal clear from the other night.

BD definitely has his own thing going, getting that kind of tone from a Gretsch White Falcon
is unique for sure.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1669 on: May 29, 2012, 02:37:55 PM »

An extremely interesting article with Ian from Westword Denver:

Ian Astbury on the Cult's new album, Choice of Weapon, his interest in Native American Culture and being a devotee of the Doors -- not just a fan

http://blogs.westword.com/backbeat/2012/05/interview_ian_astbury_the_cult.php

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1670 on: May 29, 2012, 03:52:13 PM »

According to Hits Daily Double, it looks like The Cult's new album will come in under 6,500 in sales.

http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/sales/salescht.cgi

Final numbers from Soundscan in tomorrow.

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1671 on: May 29, 2012, 04:27:39 PM »

According to Hits Daily Double, it looks like The Cult's new album will come in under 6,500 in sales.

Looks like final numbers are in 10K+ and #34

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1672 on: May 29, 2012, 04:32:29 PM »

So it is.  When I posted the link it was at 68% reporting and it wasn't listed.  The Soundscan numbers should be a little different.

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1673 on: May 29, 2012, 04:49:58 PM »

So it is.  When I posted the link it was at 68% reporting and it wasn't listed.  The Soundscan numbers should be a little different.

How will the Soundscan numbers differ?

I was wondering if they Indie chart positions were available as well, was thinking they'd probably be in the Top 10 somewhere - any ideas?

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1674 on: May 29, 2012, 05:14:31 PM »

Apparently the SoundScan numbers are more accurate and are what the official chart is based on.  They'll probably be a little different, maybe by a thousand or so?

They're released early tomorrow.

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1675 on: May 29, 2012, 05:23:59 PM »

Apparently the SoundScan numbers are more accurate and are what the official chart is based on.  They'll probably be a little different, maybe by a thousand or so?

I've got no idea really, I'd guessed Top 50/20K tops here in the US so who knows really.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1676 on: May 29, 2012, 05:35:51 PM »

I've got no idea really, I'd guessed Top 50/20K tops here in the US so who knows really.

What I meant was, the SoundScan numbers are going to be a little different than what Hits Daily Double posted (10,452) by a thousand or so, possibly.  So you're looking at around 11,000-12,000 in US sales.

We'll see tomorrow.

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1677 on: May 29, 2012, 05:42:51 PM »

What I meant was, the SoundScan numbers are going to be a little different than what Hits Daily Double posted (10,452) by a thousand or so, possibly.  So you're looking at around 11,000-12,000 in US sales.

We'll see tomorrow.

That'll prob land them Top 5 on the Billboard Indie chart, guess we'll know tomorrow.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1678 on: May 29, 2012, 11:58:42 PM »

http://www.urchicago.com/reviews/2012/5/21/the-cult-choice-of-weapon.html

The Cult || Choice of Weapon

The Cult
Choice of Weapon
Label: Cooking Vinyl Records
Released on: May 22nd, 2012
Grade: 4.5 out of 5
Reviewed by: Neil Miller, Jr.

Forgive my need to be honest, but it?s imperative that I let you know that this band is the reason you?re reading this review. ?Duh,? you might say, but I actually mean that this band is the reason I went down a specific path in life to become a music journalist. If you?ve never heard of them, it?s okay ? now?s the perfect time to fall in love with The Cult. They were my first live show (I saw them open for Aerosmith in Frankfurt, Germany when I was merely four years old), and the opening notes of ?Sweet Soul Sister? ringing across a massive arena was all it took to transform my life into a love letter to music. With their new release, Choice of Weapon, these guys are back to the formula they perfected decades ago ? larger than life riffage, Ian Astbury?s unparalleled vocals, and some sleek production. The results blew my mind, in spite of my very thorough attempt to be even more critical than usual.

When I mention The Cult to people who seem like they?d be familiar with them, one of the most popular responses I?m met with is ?Who, that 80s band?? ? but the sonic evolution the band has made on this new release should lay that question to rest. Opening track ?Honey from a Knife? finds The Cult bidding for true rock supremacy ? and with the sing-along ?we got the drugs, we got the drugs, we got the drugs ? the drugs in here!? chorus, it?s no question that this is destined to be one of the most memorable tracks from Choice of Weapon. But it?s after the melodic lull (for The Cult, at least) of ?Elemental Light? that things really kick into high gear.

?The Wolf? is quite easily my personal favorite song on this new record. The intro harkens back to the blistering musicianship of The Cult?s earlier work, especially that of Sonic Temple and Electric. The riff here is one of the best on Choice of Weapon, and it?s the first song on the album that finds Astbury totally letting loose with his trademark Jim Morrison-meets-Peter Murphy howl. By the time the song was over, I was already waiting to play it all over again. If there?s any justice in this world, The Cult will release this as a single, and it?ll become their most successful single release to date. But regardless if that happens ? if you listen to only one song off of Choice of Weapon, it should be this one.

I really hate to sit back and point out only a few songs on an album for you to listen to because with an album like this, it should be experienced as an entity. But god damn, is ?For The Animals? an amazing rock song. There?s a reason this was the first single on the album, and as much as I?d like to believe it?s the distortion-soaked opening bass riff, I?m pretty sure it?s because the song just plain ROCKS. The Cult really pulled out all the stops on this record because every song harbors its own unique splendor ? whether it?s the slower paced ?Life > Death,? the brutal fury of ?Lucifer,? or the enchantingly atmospheric closing track ?This Night in the City Forever,? there?s something worth loving in every single one of these stories. I call them ?stories? because The Cult doesn?t just write songs, they bring them to life through fierce musicianship and Astbury?s incendiary vocal delivery.

If you like rock music even a smidgen, even an iota ? this record will have something for you. But if you really like rock music... and you know who you are: the one commanding the jukebox at the bar with M?tley Cr?e, Metallica, or choose-your-own-rock-band songs... this record is most definitely meant for you. In fact, this record was made for you. And me. And anyone who?s ever loved this band or anything Bob Rock?s had a hand in producing. Oh yeah, did I forget to mention that the legendary Bob Rock co-produced this album? He?s responsible for some of the best records of all time ? Metallica?s Black Album, The Cult?s Sonic Temple, M?tley Cr?e?s Dr. Feelgood, and Veruca Salt?s Eight Arms to Hold You, to name a few. But superproducers aside, Choice of Weapon has revitalized my lifelong love for The Cult ? it takes me back to the sheer bliss I was immersed in for their live show that night back in 1989. They haven?t sounded this good ever. So, do yourself a favor and listen to at least a handful of songs from this album ? you?ll be a fellow fan in no time.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1679 on: May 30, 2012, 12:21:41 AM »

IA is guest editing Magnet Magazine this week, check it out at:

http://www.magnetmagazine.com/category/guest-editor/

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 102 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: