Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:31:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227819 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  The Cult
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 102 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Cult  (Read 436171 times)
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1960 on: October 03, 2013, 02:35:01 PM »

The Cult teaming up with designer Wes Lang for some cool limited run stuff, here's the press release:

WES LANG / SUPPLY / THE CULT / QUICK STRIKE RELEASE

Thursday, October 3rd, 2013

** COLLECTION drops SATURDAY at 11 AM available exclusively from SUPPLY in SYDNEY **

SUPPLY SYDNEY IN CONJUNCTION WITH AMERICAN PAINTER WES LANG AND ALT ROCK BAND THE CULT HAVE COME TOGETHER TO CREATE A CAPSULE COLLECTION TO COINCIDE WITH THE CULT PERFORMING LIVE IN AUSTRALIA THEIR SEMINAL 1987 RICK RUBIN PRODUCED RECORD ? ELECTRIC ? .

?I saw electric at garden state arts center in 1987. My dad dropped me off and I saw the show alone. Was a game changer. That album got a lot of use. Made a tape of it from my album and was in my Walkman for a long time? . Wes Lang

WES TOOK THE INSPIRATION FOR HIS DESIGN FROM THE ICONIC ? LIGHTNING PANTHER ? IMAGE THE CULT ARE USING FOR THEIR ELECTRIC 13 DATES .

? This is a dream team collaboration with SUPPLY and WES LANG they have killed it ?.
Ian Astbury .

THIS WILL BE A QUICK STRIKE COLLECTION AVAILABLE EXCLUSIVELY THROUGH SUPPLY OF SYDNEY . A ONE TIME RUN ONLY .THE COLLECTION CONSISTS OF A HOODIE , 2 T SHIRTS , STICKERS AND A PATCH .

« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 05:33:37 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1961 on: October 03, 2013, 11:46:31 PM »

Ian on the Wes Lang collaboration:

http://slamxhype.com/style/conversation-with-ian-astbury-about-the-wes-lang-x-the-cult-x-supply-collection/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Slamxhype+%28SLAMXHYPE%29

Following news of forthcoming project between Wes Lang, The Cult and Supply I thought it was perfect timing to catch up with The Cult lead singer Ian Astbury and find out more about the collection. With the release not to far away, we talk about how the three entities worked together, was the idea of the project is and what role each brand plays in street culture today.

James Oliver: Ian, can you please tell me when and where you first met Wes Lang?

Ian Astbury: I first met Wes at the Chateau Marmont in Los Angeles where he was in residence painting. I have been collecting his work for several years.

James Oliver: What are your honest thoughts on his art work and the impact he has had on the art world?

Ian Astbury: The ?Art World? is a symbol which in reality is a broken institution. The ?Art Of World? has two schools. One for the most part is driven by ego, money, greed, fear and control, a world that has more to do with rolling into Venice on newly acquired yachts and falling out of private jets in Miami with no real cultivation or sense of style.

The collectors and cultural heads are self acclaimed and self aggrandising. They only know what they are fed by the dealers (which ultimately benefits the dealers). It just perpetuates imitation and art for arts sake. However there are always exceptions.

Then there is a pure school of people compelled to create because they have to, it?s all they know. They emerge from all stations of society, they do not talk they create, they do not curate they create.

James Oliver: Supply is a stand out retailer in this culture, what is it about the store and Shawn you appreciate?

Ian Astbury: I know and have respected Shawn Yates for many years, he released an LAMF piece a while back. He has a great eye for style and is always one step ahead and pays attention to details. Supply is a well created and thought out space. He is passionate and cares about what he does.

James Oliver: Choosing a store in Australian broadens the appeal for The Cult and Wes Lang, can you talk a bit about this?

Ian Astbury: We didn?t choose Supply based on its geographical location. We came together on this because of mutual admiration. Sydney is a progressive international city, The Cult is an international band, Wes Lang is an international brand, Supply is an international brand. The higher schools of New York, Paris, Milan, Tokyo, London and Los Angeles are no longer the leaders, they are now reacting to rising stars from other urban and suburban areas and their creative visions. Its The New World Order so to speak.

James Oliver: Can you talk about the relevance The Cult plays in street culture today, having been a pivotal player over the years?

Ian Astbury: Well The Cult as a band has had its moments in street culture no count, it?s primarily a rock band but I as an individual have had a long love affair with street culture. This isn?t the place to reveal my CV. I got my first Nike?s in 1976, etc?

James Oliver: How did the idea for The Cult to collaborate with Wes and Shawn come about?

Ian Astbury: Shawn wanted to do something for The Cult coming to Australia to perform Electric (Rick Rubin produced 1987) as he has an emotional connection to that album, Wes expressed a desire to do something as he also is connected to that album and first saw The Cult as a young teen in 1987. I put them together.

James Oliver: How did each entity contribute to the project?

Ian Astbury: My part was to bring in the ?Lightening Panther Icon? that Wes was inspired by and he is using a line from a cult song ?King Contrary Man? from Electric which was inspired by Robert Johnson, ? I Want It All? as part of the graphic. Wes reinterpreted the panther and hand wrote several lyrical phrases he connected with. Supply produced the project.

James Oliver: Can you talk about the philosophy / concept of the project?

Ian Astbury: It?s really an opportunity to do something unique for The Cult, we have had previous collaborations with Kostas Seremetis, Neighborhood, Salem, Storm Thorgerson, Rick Griffin etc, I am just continuing that energy. I recently created a surf board project ?Death From Below? for The Cult.

James Oliver: Finally, words to live by?

Ian Astbury: CREATE DON?T CURATE X

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1962 on: October 14, 2013, 08:25:05 PM »

A new US date:

Dec.6
Paramount Theatre
Long Island, NY

Tix:

http://www.ticketmaster.com/The-Cult-ti ... st/1440075

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1963 on: October 15, 2013, 07:07:22 PM »

More confirmed dates, best of all - Dec 17 Cool

Big boy rock at my all time favorite venue, 5 minutes from my house. yes

Fri 12/06/13    Huntington, NY  The Paramount 
Sat 12/07/13    Toronto, ON  The Danforth Music Hall 
Sun 12/08/13    Montreal, QC  Metropolis 
Tue 12/10/13    Mississauga, ON  Living Arts Centre 
Thu 12/12/13    Buffalo, NY  The Town Ballroom 
Fri 12/13/13    Cincinnati, OH  Bogart's 
Sat 12/14/13    Indianapolis, IN  Egyptian Room 
Sun 12/15/13    Memphis, TN  Minglewood Hall 
Tue 12/17/13    Tulsa, OK  Cain's Ballroom  
Wed 12/18/13    Fort Worth, TX  Billy Bob's Texas 
Fri 12/20/13    Tucson, AZ  Rialto Theatre 
Sun 12/22/13    Ventura, CA  Majestic Ventura Theater 

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

oldfan
Rocker

aka.... hrmmmmm

« Reply #1964 on: October 27, 2013, 08:19:43 PM »

I can't believe the Cult is playing these super tiny venues in the Toronto area

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1965 on: October 29, 2013, 11:04:29 PM »

I can't believe the Cult is playing these super tiny venues in the Toronto area

I think both are around 1500, Toronto's already sold out.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

oldfan
Rocker

aka.... hrmmmmm

« Reply #1966 on: October 31, 2013, 03:16:41 PM »

Mississauga, ON  Living Arts Centre - 1,315
Toronto, ON  The Danforth Music Hall  - 1427

Still small venues considering the size of Toronto, I remember the days of them selling out CNE Grandstand

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1967 on: November 22, 2013, 06:06:57 PM »

More new content on www.billyduffy.com

On his new custom LP flame top:

http://www.billyduffy.com/stories/new-gibson-custom-shop-flame-top/

And the Euro tour and reuniting with original Cult bass player Jamie Stewart:

http://www.billyduffy.com/news/back-after-the-break/

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1968 on: December 03, 2013, 07:44:23 PM »

IA interview - WDHA ROCK 105.5

Short and sweet, listen here:

http://www.wdhafm.com/Podcasts.aspx

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1969 on: December 24, 2013, 05:39:41 PM »

A 2013 year end wrap up from BD:

http://www.billyduffy.com/news/2013-the-year-of-the-falcon/

With the 2013 drawing to a close I have to say that it?s been a great year but also a year of two halves. The early part of the year was all about the Falcon and from the summer onwards it was all about touring ?Electric 13?.

The Falcon?
I?ve talked a lot about Gretsch producing my Signature version of their iconic White Falcon guitar but it?s almost impossible to put into words how proud I?ve been to see my name on that guitar. After originally falling in love with it over 30 years ago and playing one for my whole career as a guitarist to produce my very own version, to my own specifications, was heaven. That?s why when I look back in in a few years time for me 2013 will always be the Year of The Falcon!

The early part of the year was taken up with the launch of the Gretsch Billy Duffy Falcon as well as launching billyduffycom, which was produced in harmony with the guitar. I?d never felt the need for the self publicity of my own website before but with the guitar coming out it just seemed right and it?s been a great way to share some cool stuff that?s been hidden away in my attic for years as well as bringing new news from my time out on the road this year.

A highlight of the early part of the year was jumping up and playing onstage with my lifelong pal Johnny Marr. Despite being friends since high school it was the first time we?d ever played on stage together and it was a really fun day out in San Francisco, which is one of my favourite cities. It also bought me a lot of pleasure seeing Johnny?s success as a solo artist, which is thoroughly well deserved in my opinion.

It?s quite amazing that these two upstarts from a housing estate in South Manchester would both get to release their own signature guitar models within a very short space of time? me with Gretsch and Johnny with Fender. There?s a certain kind of poetry and symmetry to me and him, even though the journey has been slightly different; Johnny playing with a lot of other musicians, since he left the Smiths, whereas for 30 years I?ve been pretty consistently with Ian in The Cult.
 If you haven?t done so already you can checkout an interview with me and Johnny from eariler in the year here? Billy & Johnny

Electric 13?
Given that 2013 has been the year of the Falcon for me it?s ironic that the that with the release of ?Electric Peace? the primary focus of The Cult ?Electric 13? tour was an album that I didn?t play on a Falcon!

Although we have been touring every year since 2006 this year we made a commitment to a heavier schedule with more dates in intense periods. We also didn?t do the festivals so it was really about getting out on the road and playing to our fans rather than a mixed crowd.

For me I couldn?t single out one particular show to be the highpoint as the whole tour just seemed to work really well. I think the format was great with a little break in the middle which gave us time to reset and meant that we could play for a lot longer each night.

I?ve really enjoyed playing ?Electric? especially playing a whole album front to back rather than chop from eras and decades like I usually do on tour. When I?m swapping guitars and trying to make songs from the early band sound authentic and sit well next to more recent stuff there?s a bit of a mental balancing act that goes on for me. I?m not living in the past but I always try to capture the spirit of the songs from a guitar point of view and when I?m doing that I find it hard to switch my head from one era to another. I could just plough though the songs and not care but that?s not how I do it!

I know that the second set on the tour has been that kind of mix but I?m a feel player so that if it feels good I play good and after a full set of ?Electric? songs I find I?m in the zone. I?m not a machine, I?m very much an emotional guitar player, by that I mean that I?m not a virtuoso guy who has spent years practicing in my bedroom? I?m a feel player, an instinct player.

Also having a good sound inspires me to put that physicality into the show and
I had a lot of really positive feedback on the sound and tone of my guitars on the tour. Having great equipment is important but a special mention needs to go to Tom Webber, my guitar tech, he?s been fantastic and having enough concerts in an intense period enabled me to work with him for the whole tour.

On a personal note having James Stevenson on board has also been great. We?ve been pals for a long, long time, infact since the early 1980s, and having another friend out on the road is great. His copasetic musicianship is what its about though and we share that love of the same guitarists and sound so he fits right into what we?re trying to achieve live with The Cult.

Finally on the tour I can?t talk about it without giving a massive thanks all the fans who came along and made it such a great experience. People didn?t come to see us because we?re the trendy, new, hottest thing they came because they have a love for the music. It feels like they have a real connection with the music that me and Ian have made and continue to make and they?re the ones who go out in droves to buy the new records when we make them.

It was a great experience and a really positive tour in terms of the vibes, so if you were there thanks for again for helping us to help you make a great family? a Cult community!

Onwards into 2014?
I?m looking forward to a relaxing chilled out Christmas and then I?ve got a show with Camp Freddy on New Years Eve at the Roxy in LA. It will be great way to end the year jumping up with a few friends and playing some classic songs.

Then into 2014 and time to roll my sleeves up and get into my guitar riffs and chords to get myself organized before getting together with Ian and working on new songs.

Looking forwards is what we like to do as a band so next year is about new music and less intense touring. We?ll probably play more festivals as well to give us more time to work on the new songs for the next album.

When will the album come out? ? when we?ve got enough songs that we think are good enough! We?re not making ?Chinese Democracy? but with a band like The Cult you can?t just churn out stuff because there?s two writers working together and it takes time. It?s not like I have a song and Ian has a song and then we just record them, it?s a collaborative effort and that chemistry has to be right.

That?s why we do it ? to give fans good music not to just to put something out as a ?product? that we can use to go out on tour to push.

For official news on tour dates and new music make sure you checkout www.thecult.us

So as I sign off I wish everyone a Happy Holiday? whatever you chose to worship? or otherwise Wink

billy x

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1970 on: December 24, 2013, 05:59:39 PM »

A bit late, but my wrap up of The Cult at Cain's Ballroom in Tulsa 12/17

The guys put on a helluva rock show - zero production beyond house spotlights and one of the loudest gigs I've ever attended.

Cain's filled up as show time drew nearer, the fellas hit the stage around 9:10 to a capacity crowd and didn't let up til around 10:45.

No Zap City, Outlaw or Memphis Hip Shake or intermission between "Electric" and the rest of the setlist, they went straight to Embers after LRM and transitioned to the remainder of the gig.

Encored with Spiritwalker and Sun King.

I suspect the gig wasn't split into 2 sets was because of the venue, Cain's isn't set up to accommodate video screens so there would be nothing between sets - a total stop and (re)start. No worries, it had great flow and I sure as hell didn't feel short changed, the momentum kept building and didn't stop until shows end.

A few sidebars..

Some jackass chunked a beer can on stage early on, Ian pointed out the uncoolness and that was that.

I got a playful jab from him for looking at my phone, it was hilarious - a total hand in the cookie jar moment. Smiley

Chris, Johnny and James were in full on freight train mode - that's a big boy rhythm section.

Ian was all over the stage, sounding great and in total command.

Not enough superlatives in my vocabulary to describe Billy's performance, just incredible.

He was absolutely on fire, dialed in with crunch/tone and serious levels of volume along with countless windmills.

A couple of little kids were on BD's side up front, Ian provided them with tambourines early on and BD loaded them up with pics - how cool is that?

I saw Gene Loves Jezebel's drummer (and Tulsa resident) Rob Adams at the gig supporting GLJ's lead player and current Cult touring rhythm guitarist James Stevenson.

Two buddies of mine did the meet and greet and got some major bang for their buck.

Both described Ian, JT and Chris as very cordial and accommodating.

More kudos to BD, the guy went above and beyond.

Both my friends are musicians and got the thrill of a lifetime - a full guided tour of the stage and Billy's rig from the man himself.

Billy talked about Cain's extensively with them and how it was a destination venue for every post punk musician in the UK.

Summing things up..

The crowd was into it, the band fed off the energy - all good. Cheesy

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1971 on: December 27, 2013, 08:05:42 PM »

Ian interview with Esquire Magazine, opinionated and thought provoking as usual.

"Ian Astbury on the Death of the Rock Star

And Morrissey and his love of street wear and why you'll definitely see new music from The Cult in 2014"

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/culture/ian-astbury-interview??src=rss

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1972 on: January 01, 2014, 11:21:58 PM »

The first news of 2014, some Euro fest activity.

"THE CULT are pleased to announce that we will be headlining Alt-Fest festival in the UK , SUNDAY AUGUST 17th 2014."

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1973 on: January 09, 2014, 12:34:33 AM »

The Cult will be playing Coachella this year, mid April in Indio, CA

« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 07:20:01 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1974 on: January 24, 2014, 12:46:07 PM »

Another festival gig:

OFFICIAL NEWS > THE CULT ANNOUNCE THEY ARE TO APPEAR AT THE ROCKVILLE FESTIVAL IN JACKSONVILLE FLORIDA ON SATURDAY APRIL 26TH

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1975 on: February 05, 2014, 08:55:40 PM »

Another US date, looks like a warm up for Coachella:

April 3
San Francisco, CA
Regency Ballroom

http://www.theregencyballroom.com/events/detail/248026

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1976 on: February 11, 2014, 06:49:00 PM »

Another new date..

"OFFICIAL UPDATE FROM THE CULT > We're in San Diego on April 5th - tickets going on sale this Friday the 14th!
http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/0A004C4A90D93407

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1977 on: February 12, 2014, 10:53:04 PM »

A message from BD via www.billyduffy.com

Hey,

I hope you all had a great break over the Holidays, I know that I did and it was just what I needed to recharge the batteries after all the touring that made up ?Electric 13?.

I?ve taken some time out enjoying the warm California sun, riding my bike and playing football (soccer to some of you)  but now it?s time to get back to the serious business. I?m currently working with Ian on new songs for the next album. I love the whole creative process of making new music, its hard work but really rewarding when it all comes together. Whilst it?s fun going out on the road and playing all the classics the creation of new songs is the lifeblood of The Cult and what keeps it alive and real.

As I said in my last new update the focus this year will be the new album but we will be getting out on the road to play a few festivals this year and the first of those have been announced already. In April we?re playing 2 nights at Coachella (which are sold out in hours) and Rockville Festival in Jacksonville then in the summer were headlining the Alt Fest in the UK on Sunday 17th August. Plus just before Coachella we are also doing two warm up shows in San Francisco and San Diego. As more shows get booked there will be further announcements via www.thecult.us

The competition to win my ?Electric 13? Boss Pedal has now closed and congratulations go to Anthony Robinson from London, UK. His prize is on its way now.

If you missed out don?t worry as we?ve got another fantastic exclusive competition just launched on billyduffy.com!

Last year we produced an extremely Limited Edition Screen Print Poster with only 50 available worldwide. They were launched to people who had signed up to my email newsletter and sold out in 2 hours and before they were even offered for public sale.

The poster was hand printed by Mick Peek, from Team BD, and the image is from a photograph he took of me with my Signature Falcon in the rehearsal studio.

I hand signed all of the original edition of 50 in silver pen but I also signed ONE artists proof poster in black pen and we are giving away this unique item in this comp!!! Click on the banner below to enter or for more details?

Finally, knowing about my passion for football and Manchester City FC in particular Spanish Football magazine Panenka got in touch to interview me as City prepare to take on Barcelona in the Champions League. I?m not an expert, but I love the beautiful game and it was great fun to do. For those of you who aren?t fluent in Spanish here?s an English translation?
The Cult of Football

Have fun and I?ll be in touch soon?

billy x

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1978 on: February 24, 2014, 11:29:28 PM »

April 4, Phoenix Bike Fest

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1979 on: March 03, 2014, 06:12:54 PM »

Bizzarro fun fact:

I have now met 2 Oscar winners backstage at Cult gigs.

An extremely cool Nic Cage and a totally hammered Matthew McConaughey. Cool

And in honor of the latter, here's MM guesting on "Spirtwalker" from SXSW 2012.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJhEzV7W3-E
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 09:22:21 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 102 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: