Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:29:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Dizzy Reed at Cornell Interview
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dizzy Reed at Cornell Interview  (Read 204801 times)
RnT
Legend

Every saint has a past, every sinner has a future.

« Reply #580 on: February 01, 2006, 10:38:45 PM »

If the band even minus Buckethead hasn't been in the same room since MSG '02, I truly think thats saying alot Ppbebe about the closeness of this group of musicians. They might be best friends outside of the band and talk together everyday, but if there not even jamming together at least, that's a band on "hold" to me... Undecided

But Dizzy pretty much said, in this interview, that he never talks to anybody.

Who is your best friend in Guns N' Roses right now? Who do you hang out with the most... see the most, etc...?

I don't really hang out with anybody.? Umm... you know we talk from time to time on the phone... for the most part- I hang out with my kids... and the guys I actually play with on Thursdays- I see them more cause we have a weekly thing so.? I love all the guys though- they're all really cool.

What was the last time that all the members of the band were together in the same location?

Umm... Madison Square Garden.. 2002. [Dizzy laughs]
[I chime in: "I saw a picture recently I think from 2005 of everyone in the band but Axl hanging out in what looks like a streetcorner or garage"]
Dizzy: From 2005?
Me: ummm.. not sure... it was probably taken before.
Dizzy: Yea... it must've been before.

sounds like he's pretty close with the rest of the guys huh?

I still don?t get what?s goin on with this band

the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #581 on: February 01, 2006, 11:15:02 PM »

Who is your best friend in Guns N' Roses right now? Who do you hang out with the most... see the most, etc...?

I don't really hang out with anybody.? Umm... you know we talk from time to time on the phone... for the most part and the guys I actually play with on Thursdays- I see them more cause we have a weekly thing so.

Huh

? I love all the guys though- they're all really cool.

Ah, the love.

What was the last time that all the members of the band were together in the same location?

Umm... Madison Square Garden.. 2002. [Dizzy laughs]

The chemistry must be uncanny.? [the dirt laughs]

[I chime in: "I saw a picture recently I think from 2005 of everyone in the band but Axl hanging out in what looks like a streetcorner or garage"]
Dizzy: From 2005?
Me: ummm.. not sure... it was probably taken before.
Dizzy: Yea... it must've been before.

Well, they were on the planet at the same time! That's good. I guess Grin

I'm convinced.

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
Warren
« Reply #582 on: February 02, 2006, 01:10:00 AM »

I'm convinced.

Me too.
I'm also convinced that Axl met those guys for the first time in a Manpower office.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #583 on: February 02, 2006, 01:10:53 AM »

Actually, this didn't change much, as you can see in the very same article ppbebe posted:

Rose: It's a lot of different sounds. There's some other really heavy songs, there's a lot of aggressive songs, but they're all in different styles and different sounds. It is truly a melting pot.

I go back to listening to Queen -- you know, we're still hoping to have Brian May come in and do some tracks, and I got a fax today that he's coming in -- Queen had all kinds of different-style songs on their records, and that's something that I like. 'Cause I do listen to a lot of things, and I really don't like being pigeonholed to that degree, and it's something that Guns N' Roses seem to share [with Queen] a bit.

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=28

We all know Queen is one of Axl's influences...he's said as much before.

But trying to make the connection between Axl saying the album would have an eclectic track listing, like Queen was want to do, and saying that the song arrangements are much like Queens, is a tenuous claim, I think.  Other than the fact they both have the word "Queen" in them, the assertions mean pretty different things.

There are so many differences in the '99 article....just look at the number of tracks he lists there (16 to 18), and now in '06 (13).  Look at who he talks about laying down instrumentals (Josh Freeze and Paul Huge are mentioned).  There are a bunch of other changes, both with what he said in '06, AND what he said before the '02 tour. 

I'm just saying...using a 7 year old interview to support your position isn't, maybe, the best piece of evidence to base your case on. Especially when there is more recent, contradictory, information specifically about the thing you're trying to assert.  7 years is a LONG time.  In 7 years my entire life has changed.  I'd bet the same is true for almost every member of this board....
1) He didn't say all the tracks of the album would sound like Queen cover.

2) He said in '99 how he called Brian May to play in a couple of tracks. Even Dizzy in the supposed interview talked about that when asked about this "Queen sound".

3) If he said in early stages of the album how he was listening a lot of Queen, I guess that's a good indication how he wants the sound. It's obvious he didn't mention this band like all he wanted to do would put songs with ecletic tracks like Queen. If you can't see that in the interview, connecting to what Axl said now, it's your choice.

4) There's no contradiction here. I strongly believe that the main concept of the album didn't change that much since he dropped the industrial sound, since a lot of the songs made in '99 were still there in '02, last year of major recordings like Tommy said in the recent interview.

5) Yeah, 7 years is a lot. But hey, back then he already have The Blues, one of the best songs to him. Same to Chinese Democracy, IRS and who knows what else. I don't think those songs would sound that much different now but this is just my opinion, of course. Little details were made, like Madagascar from RIR3 to 2002 version, but it's still the same song.

WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #584 on: February 02, 2006, 07:58:07 AM »

If the band even minus Buckethead hasn't been in the same room since MSG '02, I truly think thats saying alot Ppbebe about the closeness of this group of musicians. They might be best friends outside of the band and talk together everyday, but if there not even jamming together at least, that's a band on "hold" to me... Undecided

actually he said he isn`t hanging out with them... that`s a BIG difference  i don`t hang out that much with some of my best friends either, because they`re living in a different city.... by the way it doesn`t have to be about friendship and stuff.... it`s a proffessional band. they don?t need to be friends ok

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #585 on: February 02, 2006, 08:21:04 AM »

5) Yeah, 7 years is a lot. But hey, back then he already have The Blues, one of the best songs to him. Same to Chinese Democracy, IRS and who knows what else. I don't think those songs would sound that much different now but this is just my opinion, of course. Little details were made, like Madagascar from RIR3 to 2002 version, but it's still the same song.

I'm afraid you're wrong. Dizzy said in an interview (in 2005? 2004?) that every song has a lot of different versions and he hoped that his parts will be on CD. (He's really involved in the making, I guess.)

And when Merck took his precious time and told something about the leaked IRS it was something like 'this version is not even close to the song's current state'.

And a quote Caram Costanzo. He said something like 'Only three of us know anything relevant about Chinese Democracy'. They were Costanzo, Axl and 'another person'. It proves that it's a real team effort. Who can be the mysterious third? Beta? Yoda?

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
WARose
Legend

« Reply #586 on: February 02, 2006, 08:24:15 AM »

I'm afraid you're wrong. Dizzy said in an interview (in 2005? 2004?) that every song has a lot of different versions and he hoped that his parts will be on CD. (He's really involved in the making, I guess.)

And when Merck took his precious time and told something about the leaked IRS it was something like 'this version is not even close to the song's current state'.

And a quote Caram Costanzo. He said something like 'Only three of us know anything relevant about Chinese Democracy'. They were Costanzo, Axl and 'another person'. It proves that it's a real team effort. Who can be the mysterious third? Beta? Yoda?

merck propbably....

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #587 on: February 02, 2006, 08:27:28 AM »

1) He didn't say all the tracks of the album would sound like Queen cover.

2) He said in '99 how he called Brian May to play in a couple of tracks. Even Dizzy in the supposed interview talked about that when asked about this "Queen sound".

3) If he said in early stages of the album how he was listening a lot of Queen, I guess that's a good indication how he wants the sound. It's obvious he didn't mention this band like all he wanted to do would put songs with ecletic tracks like Queen. If you can't see that in the interview, connecting to what Axl said now, it's your choice.

4) There's no contradiction here. I strongly believe that the main concept of the album didn't change that much since he dropped the industrial sound, since a lot of the songs made in '99 were still there in '02, last year of major recordings like Tommy said in the recent interview.

1) Nor did I say that he did. ?He simply said, in this most recent interview, some of the arrangments are remenicient of Queen.

2) Just because Brian May plays on a track does not mean it sounds like Queen. ?Didn't then, doesn't now. ?And again, Axl's not commenting on musical structure in EITHER interview. ?He was, in the most recent article, talking about arrangements.

3) You're reading into the 99 interview, rather than reading it. ?He's very specific about what he means. He's talking about the eclectic track listing. ?He even says so. ? It's YOU who are making a choice...one to read an inference that doesn't exist.

4) But, oddly, in interviews around the time of the '02 tour, and in other more recent ones, the band members have talked about how much the album has changed since the begining. ?Witness Rhiad and Silkworms, and the uncertainty of a final tracklist. ?Of course the early music still "exists". ?They're not going to completely throw out recorded material. ?

5) Again, "same song" in what sense? ?Musically and lyrically? Probably. ?But the arrangement (witness all the different ways GnR has played KOHD and the BIG difference in the way that track sounds just during live performances), mixing, and production are going to go a LONG way toward influencing what the final product of that material is. Madagascar is a great example. During the '02 tour, it was pretty "orchestral" in it's arrangement. ?Take that same song and make it a guitar driven ballad (ala SCOM....and no, I'm not suggesting this has been done) and, while the musical structure stays the same, the "sound" of the song changes drastically.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #588 on: February 02, 2006, 09:34:59 AM »

actually he said he isn`t hanging out with them... that`s a BIG difference? i don`t hang out that much with some of my best friends either, because they`re living in a different city.... by the way it doesn`t have to be about friendship and stuff.... it`s a proffessional band. they don?t need to be friends ok

Quote from: Madagascar88/Dizzy

I don't really hang out with anybody. Umm... you know we talk from time to time on the phone... for the most part- I hang out with my kids... and the guys I actually play with on Thursdays- I see them more cause we have a weekly thing so. I love all the guys though- they're all really cool.

You must have missed this part of the interview, what exactly is "from time to time"? I talk to old freinds from "time to time" which boils down to about once every 2 months. While I've known those freinds for more than 20 years I don't think the same can be said for the current version of GnR. (minus Axl/Dizzy of course)

How long have you actually known Axl Rose?

"Umm... I'm trying to remember... I'd say 20 years... we met in Hollywood when I first moved there and... he just liked the way I played the piano. At the time, in the 80s, most of the keyboard players that were playing at the time were kind of classically-trained and you know... they were good but they would not have fitted in with Guns N' Roses songs. And I think he realized that I would be able to play and add something that would raise the songs."

20 years is a long fucking time, and I dunno about Axl and Dizzy but when I was younger I used to spend every waking moment with my freinds, they are like my family. I mean i have good freinds that I have known for a few years but after not talking to them in a bit it's a bit awkward at first, until we catch up. With the people I've known 'forever' we can just hang out like no time has passed, even if we haven't hung out for like 1 year or 6 months.

WARose
Legend

« Reply #589 on: February 02, 2006, 11:54:18 AM »

actually he said he isn`t hanging out with them... that`s a BIG difference  i don`t hang out that much with some of my best friends either, because they`re living in a different city.... by the way it doesn`t have to be about friendship and stuff.... it`s a proffessional band. they don?t need to be friends ok

I don't really hang out with anybody. Umm... you know we talk from time to time on the phone... for the most part- I hang out with my kids... and the guys I actually play with on Thursdays- I see them more cause we have a weekly thing so. I love all the guys though- they're all really cool.

You must have missed this part of the interview, what exactly is "from time to time"? I talk to old freinds from "time to time" which boils down to about once every 2 months. While I've known those freinds for more than 20 years I don't think the same can be said for the current version of GnR. (minus Axl/Dizzy of course)

How long have you actually known Axl Rose?

"Umm... I'm trying to remember... I'd say 20 years... we met in Hollywood when I first moved there and... he just liked the way I played the piano. At the time, in the 80s, most of the keyboard players that were playing at the time were kind of classically-trained and you know... they were good but they would not have fitted in with Guns N' Roses songs. And I think he realized that I would be able to play and add something that would raise the songs."

20 years is a long fucking time, and I dunno about Axl and Dizzy but when I was younger I used to spend every waking moment with my freinds, they are like my family. I mean i have good freinds that I have known for a few years but after not talking to them in a bit it's a bit awkward at first, until we catch up. With the people I've known 'forever' we can just hang out like no time has passed, even if we haven't hung out for like 1 year or 6 months.

actually this was exactely the part i was referring to...  did you read my post?  hihi peace

i said i don`t hang out with some of my best friends often, because they`re away.... i`m living in germany...one of my friends lives in slovenia...i actually don?t talk to him or write him for 6 months sometimes, but we`re best friends though.....   but that wasn`t my point actually... i said it`s a proffessional band. they don`t have to be best friends. it`s fine when they get along.... if gnr were touring he`d hang out with them for sure. i don`t think anyone here wants to seriously doubt that.  and so it`s either sure he`s hanging out with the guys he`s playing with right now. it`s also sure that he likes to hang out with his kids..... the guy is 40+ now...  he isn`t in his early twenties anymore. he has his own life and family.

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #590 on: February 02, 2006, 01:04:29 PM »

actually this was exactely the part i was referring to...? did you read my post?? hihi peace

i said i don`t hang out with some of my best friends often, because they`re away.... i`m living in germany...one of my friends lives in slovenia...i actually don?t talk to him or write him for 6 months sometimes, but we`re best friends though.....? ?but that wasn`t my point actually... i said it`s a proffessional band. they don`t have to be best friends. it`s fine when they get along.... if gnr were touring he`d hang out with them for sure. i don`t think anyone here wants to seriously doubt that.? and so it`s either sure he`s hanging out with the guys he`s playing with right now. it`s also sure that he likes to hang out with his kids..... the guy is 40+ now...? he isn`t in his early twenties anymore. he has his own life and family.

I know what you're saying and can relate, but we are talking about how "tight" the band is. IMHO "tight" bands know eah other inside and out, they know what a guy is thinking about playing before he plays it. That's what Made Axl and Izzy so fucking great of a team. They grew up together and ran away together and started multiple bands together,. And Why Duff and Slash are so fantastic right now in VR. They went through so much crap together, they are like 2 parts of one musician.

When it comes down to it it's all speculation of course but just can't imagine them being super tight unless they know each other.

I guess i should be happy though, they think each other "is really cool" Roll Eyes

madagas
« Reply #591 on: February 02, 2006, 01:26:36 PM »

Richard and Tommy are best friends-Brain and Bucket were/are best friends. You can't be tighter than Bucket and Brain are. Of course, Bucket is no more... Cry
WARose
Legend

« Reply #592 on: February 02, 2006, 02:03:37 PM »

ok neemo    they aren`t what one calls a tight band..... there`s no doubt

they were probably until '02 i`d guess....except bucket....   and they might will be again when something starts to happen again

madagas
« Reply #593 on: February 02, 2006, 02:28:16 PM »

Bucket and Brain aren't tight musically?Huh-have you ever seen them play together?? They are as tight as it gets. Richard and Tommy are best friends and have done multiple projects together-very similar in feel and style-a great rhythm section. They are very tight. Two distinct camps but there were distinct "camps" in the old Gnr as well. Just admit that none of you really know what your talking about when it comes to band chemsitry. You haven't toured with these guys and you certainly weren't around from 1998 to early 2003 when they did a MASSIVE amount of recording and rehearsing. They may not be tight musically today because they haven't all seen each other in 3 years. Skilled professionals will pick the chemistry back up very quickly once the ball starts rolling. And make no doubt about it, Axl has a group of "skilled" professionals. beer As a matter of fact, Axl may be the weak link and unable to keep up with the monstrosity that he let loose in the studio from 1998 to 2003. Ever consider that? I do. Grin
« Last Edit: February 02, 2006, 02:30:01 PM by madagas » Logged
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #594 on: February 02, 2006, 02:40:04 PM »

They may not be tight musically today because they haven't all seen each other in 3 years.

That's what my point was though.

Also you are right I have no idea what their relationships with each other are like. I'm just speculating based on information from various interviews. and they all say that they barely see each other or talk to each other/

ok neemo they aren`t what one calls a tight band..... there`s no doubt

they were probably until '02 i`d guess....except bucket.... and they might will be again when something starts to happen again

I'm sure they will be as good or better than 2002 when we see them again ok (if we see them again nervous that's what makes me sad about the whole situation, we may never see GnR tour again Cry )

jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #595 on: February 02, 2006, 02:42:19 PM »

,Axl may be the weak link and unable to keep up with the monstrosity that he let loose in the studio from 1998 to 2003.
rofl rofl  Gimme a fucking break! ?That's definitely the most insane thing I've ever read at this forum. You should win some type of an award. ok

What could possibly lead you to that conclusion? In my opinion, thats the worst excuse for the long wait. In my opinion, its probably the other way around. If he's having to go through shitloads of tapes and piece music together to create the songs, and isn't getting much help in that matter, then it looks like Axl is the genius here and his band is the weak link in the matter.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2006, 02:58:04 PM by jameslofton29 » Logged

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #596 on: February 02, 2006, 03:07:25 PM »

1) Nor did I say that he did.  He simply said, in this most recent interview, some of the arrangments are remenicient of Queen.

2) Just because Brian May plays on a track does not mean it sounds like Queen.  Didn't then, doesn't now.  And again, Axl's not commenting on musical structure in EITHER interview.  He was, in the most recent article, talking about arrangements.

Oh Really? don't you think the following post sounds otherwise? That's why I thought I might have missed the latest update.

Not for nothing but....do you REALLY wanna use an interview from 1999?  I mean..really?

'Cause if you read the entire interview, much of what he says in it has changed.  And, most recently, he said (serious or not, we don't know) the sound is much like "Queen". 

Or, if you mean by the "AFD spirit" the level of collaboration that existed on AFD...well, we know, by Dizzy and other band members responses certainly, that that level of collaboration doesn't exist currently.

3) You're reading into the 99 interview, rather than reading it.  He's very specific about what he means. He's talking about the eclectic track listing.  He even says so.   It's YOU who are making a choice...one to read an inference that doesn't exist.

4) But, oddly, in interviews around the time of the '02 tour, and in other more recent ones, the band members have talked about how much the album has changed since the begining.  Witness Rhiad and Silkworms, and the uncertainty of a final tracklist.  Of course the early music still "exists".  They're not going to completely throw out recorded material. 

Here we go again! I guess you're off the point there. Voodoo clealy states that what he thinks to be mostly unchanged is "the MAIN CONCEPT of the album". Not the details.

5) Again, "same song" in what sense?  Musically and lyrically? Probably.  But the arrangement (witness all the different ways GnR has played KOHD and the BIG difference in the way that track sounds just during live performances), mixing, and production are going to go a LONG way toward influencing what the final product of that material is. Madagascar is a great example. During the '02 tour, it was pretty "orchestral" in it's arrangement.  Take that same song and make it a guitar driven ballad (ala SCOM....and no, I'm not suggesting this has been done) and, while the musical structure stays the same, the "sound" of the song changes drastically.
Unsure of what voodoo meant there
but I believe Song writing is the most basic and critical point. It is the body, the idea/motif perhaps being the mind.
On the other hand arrangement, mixing and production are like clothing, hairstyling and cosmetics and although crucial to the song's/album's relevant appeal, can go dated fast no matter how nicely done. 
These can be changed into the latest fashion anytime. 

Some people don't like Beatles or any classic song because it sounds pass?. Some might like the dated sounds for nostalgia for the good old days or for their youth. But great many people in the world like Beatles songs despite the outdated style, because of the strong tunes and the great sentiments in the words. That's the main reason they still keep getting new fans every minute.
WARose
Legend

« Reply #597 on: February 02, 2006, 03:08:44 PM »

Bucket and Brain aren't tight musically?Huh-have you ever seen them play together?? They are as tight as it gets.
yeah...  bucket was tight with brain....... ok  but neither of the other guys was tight with him.....

Richard and Tommy are best friends and have done multiple projects together-very similar in feel and style-a great rhythm section. They are very tight. Two distinct camps but there were distinct "camps" in the old Gnr as well
basically there were to "camps" in '01/'02: buckethead (and brain...)  and the rest of gnr...........well you could put axl and chriss  in their own camp, too hihi

Just admit that none of you really know what your talking about when it comes to band chemsitry. You haven't toured with these guys and you certainly weren't around from 1998 to early 2003 when they did a MASSIVE amount of recording and rehearsing.

rofl rofl haha   ridiculous       i suppose you were around all the time right?? rofl rofl rofl

just admit that you`re axl rose ok hihi

They may not be tight musically today because they haven't all seen each other in 3 years. Skilled professionals will pick the chemistry back up very quickly once the ball starts rolling. And make no doubt about it, Axl has a group of "skilled" professionals. beer

yeah right ok  i agree with you on this     actually my point , too.....

As a matter of fact, Axl may be the weak link and unable to keep up with the monstrosity that he let loose in the studio from 1998 to 2003. Ever consider that? I do. Grin

rofl      yeah    axl sucks!!     besides i come to see gnr for chriss pittman, so i don`t care...

I'm sure they will be as good or better than 2002 when we see them again ok (if we see them again nervous that's what makes me sad about the whole situation, we may never see GnR tour again Cry )

i agree....    except for the last part      we`ll see them again....it`s just a matter of time

« Last Edit: February 02, 2006, 06:35:03 PM by WARose » Logged

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #598 on: February 02, 2006, 03:35:40 PM »

Bucket and Brain aren't tight musically?Huh-have you ever seen them play together?? They are as tight as it gets. Richard and Tommy are best friends and have done multiple projects together-very similar in feel and style-a great rhythm section. They are very tight. Two distinct camps but there were distinct "camps" in the old Gnr as well. Just admit that none of you really know what your talking about when it comes to band chemsitry. You haven't toured with these guys and you certainly weren't around from 1998 to early 2003 when they did a MASSIVE amount of recording and rehearsing. They may not be tight musically today because they haven't all seen each other in 3 years. Skilled professionals will pick the chemistry back up very quickly once the ball starts rolling. And make no doubt about it, Axl has a group of "skilled" professionals. beer As a matter of fact, Axl may be the weak link and unable to keep up with the monstrosity that he let loose in the studio from 1998 to 2003. Ever consider that? I do. Grin
Yep.
Everyone loves the weakest link the best. There's an old saying that the slowest kid gets the most affection. yes

Anyways,  I wonder how he get to hear the songs Brain had last year.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #599 on: February 02, 2006, 04:19:22 PM »

Oh Really? don't you think the following post sounds otherwise? That's why I thought I might have missed the latest update.

Nope, don't think it sounds otherwise at all...mostly because talking about "Queen-like" arrangements in '06 has nothing to do with whether May played with GnR 7 years ago (and who may, or may not, still have parts on the album), nor whether the tracklisting is eclectic.? Again, drawing conclusions and inferences where none are explicitly (or implicitly) made..? The only conclusion you could probably draw is that, as Axl himself has said, he's influenced by Queen.? ?

Arrangements are not music/instrumentals.? Track listings are not arrangements.? Mentioning Queen and/or Brian May does not automatically link statements made 7 years apart.

Maybe the disconnect we're having here is one of language?? "The sound is much like Queen" wasn't meant as "the album sounds like queen".? ?It was meant more as "Axl has arranged/mixed/produced some songs in a similar manner to songs Queen has arranged/mixed/produced".? In the Music Industry, a bands "sound" is, usually, the way their particular music is arranged, mixed, and produced.? That's what I meant by "sound"....not that it literally meant the two entities would sound (as in, have similar tonality or musical structure) alike. Does that make more sense?

And to be clear, I'm not trying to "talk down" to you in explaining what I meant.  I just know we have a pretty wide range, geographically, of members here at HTGTH and I'm never sure who's primary language is English, and who isn't, or who's terminology is as inclusive of who's.  I just want to ensure that our difference of opinon isn't purely based on a symantic or language  thing....

Here we go again! I guess you're off the point there. Voodoo clealy states that what he thinks to be mostly unchanged is "the MAIN CONCEPT of the album". Not the details.

Actually, voodoo was the one "off point", but, be that as it may, changing the details does change "the main concept" (whatever that is).? Maybe subtley, but changes them all the same.?

And the point was that the changes I cited were to point out that LOTS changes in 7 years...so using a 7 year old interview that contains information that may, or may not, be true at this time isn't the best thing to prop your opinion up with.? Especially considering a good chunk of the info in the interview has already been proven to have changed.

Unsure of what voodoo meant there
but I believe Song writing is the most basic and critical point. It is the body, the idea/motif perhaps being the mind.
On the other hand arrangement, mixing and production are like clothing, hairstyling and cosmetics and although crucial to the song's/album's relevant appeal, can go dated fast no matter how nicely done.?
These can be changed into the latest fashion anytime.?

Some people don't like Beatles or any classic song because it sounds pass?. Some might like the dated sounds for nostalgia for the good old days or for their youth. But great many people in the world like Beatles songs despite the outdated style, because of the strong tunes and the great sentiments in the words. That's the main reason they still keep getting new fans every minute.

I understand the analogy, and it's an apt one....but a bit understated.

You mention the Beatles.? Seriously, listen to Let it Be, and Let it Be Naked.? Listsen to how vastly different the songs sound.? If you can then honestly say that production, mix, and arrangement don't have a profound effect on material, to the point of great influence on artistic presentation, after listening to those two albums....we'll all know you have a tin ear.? A good song, despite Dizzy's assertions, can be destroyed by bad arrangement/production/mix, while a mediocre one can be made good with great arrangement/production/mix.? It is a VERY important piece of the process.? To not have the rest of the band involved (and, honestly, from interviews, etc, it seems they have not been) in that process means the album creation was not really collaborative.?

Again, was the music writing collaborative? Yes, so it seems.? But the album creation process certainly has not, by all evidence, been (and certainly not in "the spirit of AFD" where the entire album was shaped by the entire band).? And the final "sound" of the album will be, by all reports, 100% Axl's creation.? For good or bad...? I tend to think for good, given what we've seen from him in the past.? Other opinions may differ, obviously.

And again, whether it's collaborative or not seems to matter less than whether the material is any good once it's released.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2006, 04:33:12 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: