Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 10:12:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227788 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  slash approves The band that time forgot
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: slash approves The band that time forgot  (Read 5320 times)
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« on: January 24, 2006, 08:48:42 PM »

From Paul Stennings myspace blog
Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Slash approves of The Band That Time Forgot
Current mood:  accomplished

Yes yes y'all you read it here first. As Slash's wife Perla Hudson recently told me, Slash has seen The Band That Time Forgot and whole heartedly approves! I was surprised but very pleased with this. According to Perla Slash said "it was probably one of the most accurate writings on the band"... So now you have no excuse not to buy an unauthorised biography as it's endorsed by the man himself!

I'm surprised not only that Slash read the book but at the fact he was happy with the portrayal of the band, mainly because if I'm honest the book does centre on Axl and he and Slash are notoriously no longer friends. Perhaps Slash felt I dealt with the hostility and life of Axl in a balanced, diplomatic way? I hope so, as this was my intention, and I always felt Slash would be intelligent enough to read through the bullshit and see what I was trying to accomplish.

I fell out with his publicist before the book came out, and I wrongly attributed her shitty attitude as being representative of Slash but Perla tells me that was all down to Arlett, and not Slash himself. I was happy to hear that because Arlett Verleecke is one fucking bitch who seriously tried to mess things up for me, and succeeded in some ways. Yet, I now know she is out of the picture, hence the mail from Perla apologising.

I won't go into everything she said as some of it is private but I thought you would all like to know this book is appreciated by one of the greatest guitarists of all time, and he has actually sat down and read it himself...huge kudos to Saul Hudson and what more can I say? The doubters can just use their illusions...

8:02 AM - 4 Comments - 4 Kudos - Add Comment

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 08:55:41 PM »

Great man, I would like to read the official Book, do you know when is it going to be officially released?
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 01:45:46 AM »

Carlos, it was released a couple of years ago, and is available.  It's not really very telling....pretty much covers how they got together, recordings of songs, etc.  Pretty much stuff we all already knew.   Truthfully, I'd love to see a book about the band that had more "dirt", where several members (I'm talking original band) would just talk about what it was really like.  However, I don't believe we'll ever see that, because I think there was some type of don't ask/don't tell confidentiality clause that was Axl's brainstorm.    I've learned more by just reading interviews with Duff or Slash.  It's an ok read, but just pretty much follows the pretty basic stuff about the songs & recordings & tours, etc.     
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 01:18:50 PM »

Oh now I get it... Thank you very much for the information...  yes
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 06:39:59 PM »

I read the first edition of the book, and I knew most of the facts in the book from before.
there were also some errors in that edition, but I understand the guy has straightened them out for the second edition so it will be a good read if you don't know most existing facts about GN'R already.

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 09:32:28 PM »

I read the book and it's really not that good. The guy got names, dates and events wrong throught the entire book. Definately not the best book out there on GNR to get if you ask me.
blues_rock_axeman
Rocker

R n' F'n Roller

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 10:55:04 PM »

I read the book and it's really not that good. The guy got names, dates and events wrong throught the entire book. Definately not the best book out there on GNR to get if you ask me.

Maybe Slash liked it because he couldn't remember any of the dates or information?  hihi

Shuffle it all... Pack up your life again...
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 11:01:34 PM »

That wouldnt surprise me considering how out of it he was from like 87-98 (or later) lol
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2006, 03:46:36 AM »

to me the book was a good read, just to much quotes and saying what axl might have been thinking..
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2006, 07:09:08 PM »

that book is without doubt the most pathetic GNR bio ever

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2006, 08:23:34 PM »

Is there a Cliff Notes Version?  I don't like to read.  Just kidding.  I will be in Dead Horse brushing up on my GNR history.
Eugene Klein
Rocker

--Powder on wound--

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2006, 10:19:04 PM »

So if this is not the best bio, which is the best out there? Any suggestions?

??\\\ G.A.S. ///??
kobys
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2006, 11:02:30 PM »

And if it's not the best bio, why does Slash himself approve it? Just curious. I myself haven't read it so I don't know how good or bad it is.

I'm a Ronald Reagan conservative and damn proud of it!
jimmythegent
Legend

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2006, 12:26:10 AM »

Ive read a few, Mick Walls one, The most dangerous band in the world was good - captured the spirirt abd legend of GNR

Avoid Danny Sugermans book. Is basically a drugged out reminicience/comparison to Jim Morrison with some bizarre and very dull passages explaining GNRs spiritual connection some Greek god of excess (Dionysis? sp.?)

The best one I read, I cant recall the name - was a very balanced account (went up to about 1995) and was highly critical of Slash and Axl in equal measure

Damn, what was it called - i think I brought this up in another thread and Pandora correctly identified it

jimmythegent
Legend

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2006, 12:42:35 AM »

ahh .. just remembered, its called "Over the top"

A very good read - well written, incisive and balanced not to  mention a very enjoyable read

Albert S Miller
Legend

Simply can't get much better than this!!!

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2006, 02:26:45 AM »

Those mistakes were recognized that is why Mr. Stenning came out with a revised addition!!!!!

Turn my sorrow into treasured gold, you'll pay me back in kind and reap just what you've sown !!
Albert S Miller
Legend

Simply can't get much better than this!!!

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2006, 02:35:21 AM »

A very good read - well written, incisive and balanced not to? mention a very enjoyable read
  Yes I ordered that book on Amazon in September, I waited for it to ship forever, and then they couldn't get their hands on it, just let me know in January I wasn't getting it.  Pissed me off after waiting so long!!!!  Have any idea where else i might find it?

Turn my sorrow into treasured gold, you'll pay me back in kind and reap just what you've sown !!
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2006, 01:48:45 PM »

Those mistakes were recognized that is why Mr. Stenning came out with a revised addition!!!!!

Im talking about the revised addition. There are still a pile of mistakes in the book.
Eugene Klein
Rocker

--Powder on wound--

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2006, 02:18:45 PM »

A very good read - well written, incisive and balanced not to? mention a very enjoyable read
Thanks for that.
It's curious, now that Mick Wall's book is mentioned too, i see his interviews a very interesting.
Recently i read one with Izzy, it couldn't have been better.

??\\\ G.A.S. ///??
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2006, 05:48:13 PM »

Do you know if there is an e book ?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: