Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:44:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227784 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Recognizing GN'R Music
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Recognizing GN'R Music  (Read 5392 times)
BluesGNR
The Liberator
Legend

Here Today... Out for Lunch

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2006, 04:00:06 PM »

Slash is a huge huge loss in the GN'R sound. No one can touch his phenomenal Gibson bluesy hard Rock guitar playing.

Say what? This must be the first time you posted this... ?rofl

Personally I often recognise songs and it doesn't have to be because they have a sound. It's because I've listened to the song thousands of times. So sometimes all you need to hear is the bass line to know it's Aphex Twin or Queens Of The Stone Age.....

/jarmo

Agreed.  It becomes a 6th sense when you've heard something thousands of times.  Many of us know that feeling, I'm sure.  peace

You'll Find Your Inspiration GN'F'nR

2002: 12.6&8
2006: 5.12&14&15&17 11.5&10&13&24
2011: 11.15 12.10
2012: 2.19&24 11.17
2014: 5.13&28&30
2016: 4.1&8&9 6.23 7.1&3. 8.9&12
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2006, 04:14:00 PM »

Being a musician has nothing whatsoever to do with it. I'm a musician myself and I know alot about guitar tones. You can love Slash all you want, but in the end there's no way you guys can tell me that the average joe music way would hear a Slash solo and instantly say "THATS SLASH" whereas just about any music fan could hear Axl sing and say "YEP, that's Axl Rose"

true.
but come on, generally speaking any human voice is more recognizable than instrumentals.
it's like some people even can tell their cat's mew from other cat's meows.

Incidentally, Remember my favourite pillow?

dodger girl
Rocker

art is resistance

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2006, 04:21:20 PM »

I htink we've all just listened to Gn"R so much, its just intilled in our brains. Theres been many times where there has been a radio on, and I could not hear it at all, but if it's a Gn'R song i know it immediatly

that happens to me all the time! I can pinpoint a GN'R song playin even if the place is crowded and I couldn't hear the radio at all before.. I even recognise the thunder sound at the beginning of NR if some tv is airing the video.. it's freaky atually lol.. I always surprise myself with those kind of things cuz I always get them right

The Prez
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2006, 05:11:36 AM »

Still there's more to it than only "we've heard it so much that we recognize it immediately".

GN'R had unique style & sound, as some weeks ago I played UYI II in the car and my friend, not a GN'R fan but dig the music, said like 'Hey man, Guns N' Roses, long time not heard...it's a pitty we don't hear this kind of music anymore'. He actually meant "this kind of music, GN'R style..."

So, it is the 'style' we recognize: the voice, the guitar, the song,....it all fits to one special GN'R sound...

I wonder if we will also have this feeling with the 'new style' of the new GN'R... I hope so!

There is a difference between the opinion of the majority and the thruth...
Nighteyes
VIP

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2006, 07:00:59 AM »

I htink we've all just listened to Gn"R so much, its just intilled in our brains. Theres been many times where there has been a radio on, and I could not hear it at all, but if it's a Gn'R song i know it immediatly

that happens to me all the time! I can pinpoint a GN'R song playin even if the place is crowded and I couldn't hear the radio at all before.. I even recognise the thunder sound at the beginning of NR if some tv is airing the video.. it's freaky atually lol.. I always surprise myself with those kind of things cuz I always get them right

same here Grin
we have this store here,Carlings,and they play AFD a lot.The first time I heard it there,I was just walking by,I didn't even hear a half second,and Axl wasn't singing at the time,but i recognized it immediately  beer
happens all the time when GNR is played somewhere beer

shit happens when you party naked
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2006, 09:19:14 AM »

same here Grin
we have this store here,Carlings,and they play AFD a lot.The first time I heard it there,I was just walking by,I didn't even hear a half second,and Axl wasn't singing at the time,but i recognized it immediately  beer
happens all the time when GNR is played somewhere beer

If we're talking about just recognizing songs you've heard a millions times, then yeah that can happen without hearing vocals ofcourse. But it's in no way exclusive to GNR, anything you've heard over and over and over will be easier for you to pick out.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
Nighteyes
VIP

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2006, 03:07:07 PM »

Yeah, I know,but there is GNR songs I haven't heard a million times,but there is something i recognize..I often recognize Slash's playing, I think it is that.. It's a little bit hard to explain what I mean,english isn't my mother tongue Undecided

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2006, 05:30:17 PM »

Like it or not, I, in all probability, can tell even a Britney or linkin song for example, at first listen.
hope I'm not alone.... nervous
Verse Chorus Verse
Legend

It's here!

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2006, 06:18:17 PM »

Slash has a very distinctive sound, so yeah you can pick him out instantly...at least i can ok
If I didn't know before hand, I wouldn't have known that was him in VR. That's why I hate him now: his licks suck these days.
On topic, I think we will have to wait until the album comes out to make that kind of judgement.

Louis Landon for Peace in Iraq
"This is the new Guns 'n Roses, deal with it or get off the planet."
Nighteyes
VIP

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2006, 06:33:01 PM »

Like it or not, I, in all probability, can tell even a Britney or linkin song for example, at first listen.
hope I'm not alone.... nervous

no,you'e not Tongue Wink

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2006, 07:31:29 PM »

I'll tell you what's funny about recognizing GNR music.  When you hear it being played by people who despise guys like Axl.   hihi

I listen to radio talk shows that run the complete spectrum of political beliefs.  Going to or from commercial, I was listening to "The Michael Medved Show," and if you're not familiar with his broadcast, he usually ends every other segment with, "God Bless America, the greatest country on God's green earth."  He looks very much like Ned Flanders from The Simpsons.  Long story short, You Could be Mine's riff was the 5 to 10 second guitar riff cutting to or from commercial.   rofl  I guess you had to hear it to appreciate the irony.  "I'll leave you lying on the bed...with your ass in the air!"   rofl  rofl

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Bostonrose
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2006, 07:34:56 PM »

Hi!

during lunch break at the office, we have some music in the restaurant in the background, however this music is very silent...I could swear I recognized Guns...as I asked the collegues to be silent for a moment...yep! I was right...it was KOHD which was played. Awesome!!!!? drool? drool

What I mean is...I recognized immediately the "GN'R sound" (whatever that is - I think it was slash's part which I recognized ) and I wonder if we would also have this with the "new sound" of the band at this moment. Will the new sound also be 'typical GN'R' ??

I hope this isn't a "dead horse" thread...? Huh

obviously not a typical gnr sound....

"I never wanted you to be so full of anger, I never wanted you to be somebody else"
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: