Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 04:56:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228059 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  How good is CD going to be? Better than AFD and/or UYI?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How good is CD going to be? Better than AFD and/or UYI?  (Read 18253 times)
Axl_GNR
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2006, 01:42:54 PM »

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Axl say this was an album for him.
no, he didn't

14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2006, 03:24:30 PM »

I love the demos we've heard so far, but as for people that are dissapointed, you might never be satisfied.? Listen, the album is not going to sound like it took 10 years to make, plain and simple.? It has the possibility of being one of the greats, but for people and critics alike that think this album is going to bring harmony and world peace you will be dissapointed.

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
Mr.Intensity
Banned
Legend

Intensity, Integrity, Intelligence

« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2006, 03:26:40 PM »

Axl never promised it would do that.. in fact he never promised us anything.
Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2006, 03:27:44 PM »

I love the demos we've heard so far, but as for people that are dissapointed, you might never be satisfied.  Listen, the album is not going to sound like it took 10 years to make, plain and simple.  It has the possibility of being one of the greats, but for people and critics alike that think this album is going to bring harmony and world peace you will be dissapointed.

You said it.  Summed it up perfectly.

Axl_GNR
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2006, 03:27:48 PM »

If they're not pleased with TWAT, then nothing will please them, cause this song is off the hook.

Elrothiel
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2006, 03:30:37 PM »

I hear that! beer
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2006, 03:31:37 PM »

I love the demos we've heard so far, but as for people that are dissapointed, you might never be satisfied. ?Listen, the album is not going to sound like it took 10 years to make, plain and simple. ?It has the possibility of being one of the greats, but for people and critics alike that think this album is going to bring harmony and world peace you will be dissapointed.

It is entirely fair to judge it against the time it took to make. He made classic albums in a 1/10 of the time with his old bandmates, and essentially broke the band up to take us in this direction. All the while telling us his vision was better than what GNR was doing.

So if Estranged and NR were put on an album within a couple year time frame, then he better far exceed the quality of those to justify having taken the band in this direction and made everybody wait. At least that is how every critic and the general public will view this, and rightfully so.
NickNasty
Tha Nastiest
VIP

Alive.

« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2006, 03:32:14 PM »

I love the demos we've heard so far, but as for people that are dissapointed, you might never be satisfied.? Listen, the album is not going to sound like it took 10 years to make, plain and simple.? It has the possibility of being one of the greats, but for people and critics alike that think this album is going to bring harmony and world peace you will be dissapointed.

As I said in another thread-this delay and all the drama behind it was never about pleasing critics or revolutionizing rock and roll-it was and is about axl satisfying himself that hes put out the best production he can. people will take what they want from it.

---Nick Nasty--

Boston, MA 12/2/02          Worcester, MA 11/8/06

Dublin, Ireland 6/9/06       E. Rutherford, NJ 7/23/2016
conny
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2006, 03:33:58 PM »

If TWAT does not satisfy a GN'R fan, then nothing ever will.

It's all there - amazing songwriting, decent lyrics, a fantastic arrangement, Axl's voice, amazing guitar parts and a fantastic atmosphere.

This is some really good music.

What more could you ask for?
Tranquillity
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2006, 03:34:55 PM »

Who's saying this album took 10 years to make?  We don't know how much time Axl has put into the album...
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2006, 03:36:55 PM »

Who's saying this album took 10 years to make?

Axl's fax after Slash left gave some sort of statement about releasing an album of sorts within a year, and that was in early 1996. So there is your 10 years, regardless of how many times the line-up and other things have changed.
Mr.Intensity
Banned
Legend

« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2006, 03:43:46 PM »

yeah, but with all of axl's mental issues, revolving band mates, and other distractions.. its safe to say he was not working on this for 10 years every day. I think he probably let this sit around for 5-6 months at a time.. then go back and work on it hard for 2 months, etc.... I think its whole production was very erratic at times.

I'm happy its finally done though.
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2006, 03:45:45 PM »

The band is called GNR but in no way can the new music be compared to the old music and we all know it isn't going to have those same riffs that Slash had on the older GNR songs.

If a song like TWAT was released under the guise of the Axl Rose solo band it would probably not face those comparisons. It would be taken for the great song it is, rather than it's not as good as estranged or NR. Which is why it drives me nuts sometimes he insists on using the name, because it invites a whole host of criticism that otherwise wouldn't be there if he was using a different name.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2006, 03:47:12 PM »

yeah, but with all of axl's mental issues...

Great we have another of Axl's former shrink on the board again Roll Eyes

McDuff
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2006, 03:48:53 PM »

Since the leaks have came out, I've been pretty surprised by most people's reactions...
I have seen very little discussion about the music itself. No discussions on how it compares to old songs, or if its a leap forwards or backwards, or if it sounds like a cohesive band.

Instead, most people are rating the songs by "It would be a great single" or "The mainstream radio will love it" or "Guns will make a lot of new young fans"

Can I ask why that stuff matters? Why does everyone think they're managing the band and its success? We're supposed to be fans, not career advisors...

Also, it's strange how people have made up their own minds as to which of the new songs will be on Chinese Democracy. What's even stranger, is that it seems generally accepted here. It's almost like a "fact" that Riyadh and Silkworms won't be on Chinese Democracy, even though we have no reason to accept this. Just because you don't WANT those songs there, doesn't make it so.

We're fans.
It struck me as being really strange that everyone is focused on the business of the band rather than the music.

Dizzy was the one who said Silkworms wouldin't be on the album,not any of us

Is that song [Silkworms] expected to be on the album?

No. It kind of went away. I mean we actually played it a few times live... but... I'm sure it'll up at some point.

http://www.metalsludge.tv/home/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1152&Itemid=42
Mr.Intensity
Banned
Legend

« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2006, 03:49:11 PM »

What I am saying is that when people are depressed, sometimes they procrastinate a lot... it is my opinion that at times over the years Axl has stopped working/production on this album for up to 3-6 months at a time. I don't know though.. it's just a thought.
ironfin
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2006, 04:10:17 PM »

Since the leaks have came out, I've been pretty surprised by most people's reactions...
I have seen very little discussion about the music itself. No discussions on how it compares to old songs, or if its a leap forwards or backwards, or if it sounds like a cohesive band.

Instead, most people are rating the songs by "It would be a great single" or "The mainstream radio will love it" or "Guns will make a lot of new young fans"

Can I ask why that stuff matters? Why does everyone think they're managing the band and its success? We're supposed to be fans, not career advisors...

Also, it's strange how people have made up their own minds as to which of the new songs will be on Chinese Democracy. What's even stranger, is that it seems generally accepted here. It's almost like a "fact" that Riyadh and Silkworms won't be on Chinese Democracy, even though we have no reason to accept this. Just because you don't WANT those songs there, doesn't make it so.

We're fans.
It struck me as being really strange that everyone is focused on the business of the band rather than the music.

The most intelligent thing I have read to today in this day of madness and I have been very guilty of postin utter shit today but fuckin hell Twat is awsome and  so is better.
14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2006, 04:13:42 PM »

I love the demos we've heard so far, but as for people that are dissapointed, you might never be satisfied. ?Listen, the album is not going to sound like it took 10 years to make, plain and simple. ?It has the possibility of being one of the greats, but for people and critics alike that think this album is going to bring harmony and world peace you will be dissapointed.

It is entirely fair to judge it against the time it took to make. He made classic albums in a 1/10 of the time with his old bandmates, and essentially broke the band up to take us in this direction. All the while telling us his vision was better than what GNR was doing.

So if Estranged and NR were put on an album within a couple year time frame, then he better far exceed the quality of those to justify having taken the band in this direction and made everybody wait. At least that is how every critic and the general public will view this, and rightfully so.

I have to disagree with you. ?Like others have said, ?CD has been in the works for 10 years, however there had to be significant lapses of time between the writing/recording process.

In any event, tell me how this album can so much better than the classic GN'R material from the past? ?According to you, since "He made classic albums in a 1/10 of the time with his old bandmates", than CD should be 1000% better than AFD or UYI. ?Its an unrealistic expectation. ?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 04:18:26 PM by 14 Yrs Of Silence » Logged

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2006, 04:15:39 PM »

It is important to ensure commercial success because this will be the first and last CD we get from New GNR if this flops. So you can probably understand then why the people who have been on this board for years would love to see the album do well commercially so that we can get another album at some point. The only way we see a follow up is for this to make major noise on an ecnomic front, otherwise this will be his swansong.
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2006, 04:35:50 PM »

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Axl say this was an album for him.
no, he didn't

Yes he did.

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: