Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 02:17:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227993 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Why not America???
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why not America???  (Read 23699 times)
Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

I'm back baby, old school style

« Reply #120 on: March 07, 2006, 02:39:08 PM »

Couldn't agree more Pilferk.
ARC
VIP

DANCE DANCE DANCE DANCE DANCE TO THE RADIO

« Reply #121 on: March 07, 2006, 02:40:31 PM »

Why are people so surprised..?

Didn't Guns play Europe before North America back in 2002...?  confused
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #122 on: March 07, 2006, 02:46:37 PM »

Something to remember, as well: ?In Europe, there is probably/usually one promoter per country to deal with when you book your show (which isn't to say each country only has one promoter..

As far as I know, many of them are owned by bigger companies.

EMA Telstar in Sweden owns Gunnar Eide Concerts in Norway, DKB/Motor in Denmark and Welldone in Finland.

EMA Telstar is owned by Live Nation.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #123 on: March 07, 2006, 04:53:18 PM »

Why not America?  Because Europe has all the awesome festivals in the summer.  End of story. yes

noonespecial
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #124 on: March 07, 2006, 06:44:39 PM »

"Because Europe has all the awesome festivals in the summer."

true enough...and from a business point of view (IMO), I wouldn't insure him...if he plays a festival there's less of a risk of getting burned because we know the other bands are going to show up... hihi

Is the whole "playing ozzfest" thing a dead horse? I guess so....I really hope he shows up for you guys in Europe, that would be cool!
Markus Asraelius
« Reply #125 on: March 07, 2006, 06:47:52 PM »

I would love for g'nr to come play in the states but I guess it really just depends on what axl wants to do and where he wants to go.
kyrie
Legend

Eden has enough to go around

« Reply #126 on: March 07, 2006, 06:52:01 PM »

true enough...and from a business point of view (IMO), I wouldn't insure him...if he plays a festival there's less of a risk of getting burned because we know the other bands are going to show up... hihi

Is the whole "playing ozzfest" thing a dead horse? I guess so....I really hope he shows up for you guys in Europe, that would be cool!

Someone will insure GNR for North America. Why? Because someone always wants to make a buck. If not CC, then another promoter. CC is simply the largest, but the nature of the business dictates that someone will step in. For every Philly, there's an MSG, for every Boise, there's an Albany, etc. Especially if there's a single/album out to help things along this time.
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #127 on: March 07, 2006, 06:56:51 PM »

Someone will insure GNR for North America. Why? Because someone always wants to make a buck. If not CC, then another promoter. CC is simply the largest, but the nature of the business dictates that someone will step in. For every Philly, there's an MSG, for every Boise, there's an Albany, etc. Especially if there's a single/album out to help things along this time.

Agreed.  If Axl shows a good track record in Europe this summer, And have a hit album as well, then Axl will hold all the cards concerning playing the States.

Crashdiet
Banned
VIP

'Absolutely'

« Reply #128 on: March 07, 2006, 07:32:48 PM »

I think GNR should start with a canadian tour... hihi

Sweet Grin

Toronto, then Hamilton, then london, ontario, then ottawa, then Toronto again then windsor Grin

awesome ok

What about calgary?? or vancouver?? you guys from ontario think you're the only place that matters in canada?

come what about Saskatoon hihi rofl

Check out www.myspace.com/ashjonesmusic
Its me and my songs

Saskatoon, Sask Place March 16 1993

New York, Hammerstein Ballroom
May 12, 14, 15, 17
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #129 on: March 07, 2006, 07:37:31 PM »

I think GNR should start with a canadian tour... hihi

Sweet Grin

Toronto, then Hamilton, then london, ontario, then ottawa, then Toronto again then windsor Grin

awesome ok

What about calgary?? or vancouver?? you guys from ontario think you're the only place that matters in canada?

come what about Saskatoon hihi rofl

They should play Yellowknife hihi

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Crashdiet
Banned
VIP

'Absolutely'

« Reply #130 on: March 07, 2006, 07:39:21 PM »

They have played saskatoon before back in 93 Great Show ok

Doesn't matter though i'm moving to london England anyway.... pretty good chance i'll catch them there in the next couple years

Its me and my songs

May 12, 14, 15, 17
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #131 on: March 08, 2006, 08:01:48 AM »

As far as I know, many of them are owned by bigger companies.

EMA Telstar in Sweden owns Gunnar Eide Concerts in Norway, DKB/Motor in Denmark and Welldone in Finland.

EMA Telstar is owned by Live Nation.

/jarmo

And still, you'd be dealing with one company, EMA, for those 3 shows (nothing in Norway, yet, right?)....not for 20 or 30.  Which means EMA fronts the capital from their budget ONLY for those 3 shows...much less money in comparison.

And even if you deal with another Live Nation owned company, you're dealing with a seperate contract and seperate budget.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
dub05
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #132 on: March 08, 2006, 08:21:22 AM »

I really dont think gnr playin the festivals in europe & stand alone shows(dublin) has anything got to do with proving they can show up & on time .As stated above another promoter would be more than willing to step in.

The reason is simply axl has learned the lesson of past ...is that if there is no album it's pointless touring in america ....it simply won't work but it will to a certain extent in europe .

All this leads me to wonder WHEN THE HELL DOES HE PLAN TO RELEASE CD.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #133 on: March 08, 2006, 08:38:57 AM »

I really dont think gnr playin the festivals in europe & stand alone shows(dublin) has anything got to do with proving they can show up & on time .As stated above another promoter would be more than willing to step in.

Not true.? And stating it doesn't MAKE it true.

I've worked in a venue.? I know, and have known, promoters, big and small.? I know the way they operate.

GnR is going to ask for a buttload of money for a US tour, for the band, and for production.? They always do.? That severly limits the number of promoters that can do the job, because they have to have the cash to front.? In addition, GnR is not going to use some fly by night promoter, because they want to make sure that the cash doesn't run out or disappear.? Again, limiting the number of promoters, stateside, they can/will deal with.

Those promoters are big businesses.? They are smart businesses.? They know about risk management....and, given relatively recent history, GnR aren't a great risk.? They didn't draw particularly well on their last tour (and we can debate why elsewhere, though the lack of new material, new band faces, and lack of promotion have all been mentioned before) and they no showed 2 shows and had the whole tour pulled out from under them.? What sane business? is going to want to risk large sums of money on that?

So, now GnR have 2 choices: Accept less money, and probably a much "smaller scope" stateside tour (which is all they could negotiate, if that), to start off OR go over to Europe, make more money and get better production, prove themselves, prove they can draw, and let them get some new material out that might put butts in seats and come back and command the bigger dollars they want/need.

It's all about business.? Sure, not having new material is a big factor, too, but only in the sense that it makes them more or less of a risk to promoters.? But to dismiss the business side, or to believe that there is "someone else waiting in the wings" is not a realistic portrait.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2006, 10:29:13 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
badapple81
« Reply #134 on: March 08, 2006, 08:41:41 AM »

I think following the 02 US tour.. Axl will go back when the album or single is out. I think he'll do the European shows and festivals as warm ups and promotion before then.
Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

I'm back baby, old school style

« Reply #135 on: March 08, 2006, 10:48:34 AM »

Guns N' Roses fans know that the original lineup brokeup in the mid 90s.? While the name GN'R has name attraction, anyone with an IQ over 40 knows it ain't the same GN'R that was huge 15 years ago.? In my opinion, Axl is going to have to go through the same promotion and touring that VR did to hype themselves up before they went on their big tour this past summer. 2002 prooved that Axl can't fill the seats he used to alone.? If he plays his cards right and gets the attention from successful shows at the festivals in Europe along with a successful cd release, he'll be able to seel out reasonably sized shows, 3-6k in my opinion, on his own.? When he can accomplish that is when promoters will book him for a bigger world tour.  Slash has just as much name recognition as Axl and he had to jump through alot of hoops before VR could book arenas on their own.
BluesGNR
The Liberator
Legend

Here Today... Out for Lunch

« Reply #136 on: March 08, 2006, 12:08:13 PM »

fuck europe.. I would write axl a check tomorrow for $500,000 to have him play in my back yard.  If you're reading this post Axl, I'm not joking.

You'll Find Your Inspiration GN'F'nR

2002: 12.6&8
2006: 5.12&14&15&17 11.5&10&13&24
2011: 11.15 12.10
2012: 2.19&24 11.17
2014: 5.13&28&30
2016: 4.1&8&9 6.23 7.1&3. 8.9&12
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #137 on: March 08, 2006, 12:16:08 PM »

fuck europe.. I would write axl a check tomorrow for $500,000 to have him play in my back yard.? If you're reading this post Axl, I'm not joking.

LOL.? The question is...would the check bounce?? Just kidding! Smiley

How about 500k, plus travel and expenses for the band and their entourage, plus the rider requirements, plus the productions costs (stage rental, lighting, instrument tranportation, soundboard rental or purchase, etc), plus security, plus insurance (for the band, your backyard, the rented equipment, the attendees, etc.), plus relevant permits?? And you may have to give him a cut of any concessions you sell or give away, with a minimum gaurentee.? Ditto on merchandise. Oh, and you have to provide access for a certain number of his people to the show for free.? Add a buttload of other incidental expenses and contractual matters into the equation too...

Together again,
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #138 on: March 08, 2006, 12:27:48 PM »

fuck europe.. I would write axl a check tomorrow for $500,000 to have him play in my back yard.? If you're reading this post Axl, I'm not joking.

How about 500k, plus travel and expenses for the band and their entourage, plus the rider requirements, plus the productions costs (stage rental, lighting, instrument tranportation, soundboard rental or purchase, etc), plus security, plus insurance (for the band, your backyard, the rented equipment, the attendees, etc.), plus relevant permits?? And you may have to give him a cut of any concessions you sell or give away, with a minimum gaurentee.? Ditto on merchandise. Oh, and you have to provide access for a certain number of his people to the show for free.? Add a buttload of other incidental expenses and contractual matters into the equation too...

what about axl's integrity ? how do you pay for that ?

Crashdiet
Banned
VIP

'Absolutely'

« Reply #139 on: March 08, 2006, 12:32:03 PM »

guess he'd better book an acoustic show then...

Its me and my songs

May 12, 14, 15, 17
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: