Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 01:35:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Reactions/opinions from non-die hard fans
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Reactions/opinions from non-die hard fans  (Read 24674 times)
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2006, 04:54:57 PM »

Here's the company line for the "average" rock fan about Guns.  "AFD was a great album, a classic, the Illusions had some good songs but weren't as good and it's not Guns N Roses without Slash".  I wouldn't expect many of the "average" rock fans to give credit where credit is due, no matter how good the album is, at least at first.  When the average rock fan hears "this is GnR" they automatically expect AFD and when they hear something drastically different like "Better" or "IRS", it catches them off guard

I thought I was an average rock fan. Tongue

Even so at first If they are still music fans, I guess they'll find at least a few favs on it.  Tongue And it's just a matter of time.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2006, 05:38:26 PM »

I got better was cool once it got started but the intro itself sucked...

On another forum someone cliped the links, guess they were nervous
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2006, 05:42:44 PM »

reactions on one forum

I think I'm getting old, because it just isn't the best thing I've heard. I guess I was expecting the old GNR sound.

**Dam, I was just starting to get into "Better" and it cut off

Truth be told:

IRS gave me a headache; I just couldn't get into TWAT; and Better, wasn't.

I know! From what I heard, though, I do think it's the best of the three.

Agreed. Just didn't like any of them.

"3 new guns n roses songs leaked on the net"

And they all suck donkey dink...

Is slash even in the band? In my opinion he was the best of what GNR had to offer. Personaly I rejected GNR back in the day when I found out Axl was a racist peice of gutter trash... Different strokes for different folks I guess~!

Some regular music fans, better got the nod out of anything.. Remember joe blow isn't going to give it 25 listens with special headphones
Axl8302
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2006, 06:41:25 PM »

i love IRS but most people say it's ok, my friend said better was a far better song.

If love is blind i guess i'l buy myself a cane..
GNFNR_UK
Rocker

I want to believe...

« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2006, 01:09:04 AM »

I played all 3 to my friend who likes some old GNR but isn't a die hard fan, his reaction were as follows:

Better: He thought the intro was weird but when the vocals kicked in he was like 'Woah that's good old Axl, he sounds as great as ever'. He thought this song was good.

I.R.S. : Straight away when the vocals kicked in he was like 'No No No' and I was like 'What??' and he said 'It just sounds all wrong, there's too much going on musically and Axl's voice is drowned out'. I explained too him it's just a demo. Overall he thought this song was okay but nothing special claiming it is 'a bit repetitive'.

TWAT: This was his favourite out of them all. He literally sat there engrossed taking it all in. I thought this may be his fav with him being a big fan of songs like 'Estranged' 'NR' etc. When the first solo kicked in he commented straight away on how nice it was. Overall this one impressed him the most, when it finished he asks 'SO whens this CD coming out?'!

'This is just a horrible divorce, now he (Axl) is looking for a new wife.  His ex wife, Duff and Slash, are remarried and happy' - Smoking Guns on the break up of the original GNR.
warrocks
VIP

Dance Of Fate....we're not afraid...

« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2006, 02:18:00 AM »

I think it's going to be much harder in USA to get used to the idea that this songs come from the name GNR cuz in Europe and in latin america I don't think they care much if slash is in the band or if it sounds like the old GNr. Europeans are way more open minded when is about music. I personally I've been a fun of gnr since AFC came out I remember i was pissed off when they broke, i bashed and said shit about new guns too. but then as i moved on into european music cuz never like grunge and then you know  american rock music kind of die, hip hop and rap became the base of US music , so I started to listen other stuffs from finland basically (metal) but   industrial too...german bands mostly I'd say.., I then could appreciate the new songs when played the first time, even OMG I thought was cool, i even remember that i showed it to my ex boyfriend, who hated GNr and axl, and he thought OMG was good as he was really into industrial  european bands.

now i like BETTER more than the others ...IRS bored me after listening a couple of times and TWAT liked me after  two minutes. wish the songs were more roughter,  but , well it's my taste hahah.  Tongue

I think it's going to be succesful in other parts of the world but not sure in north america  Undecided.

beer

..... Till Death Do us Apart.....GNR forever!
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2006, 02:56:30 AM »

I think it's going to be much harder in USA to get used to the idea that this songs come from the name GNR cuz in Europe and in latin america I don't think they care much if slash is in the band or if it sounds like the old GNr. Europeans are way more open minded when is about music. I personally I've been a fun of gnr since AFC came out I remember i was pissed off when they broke, i bashed and said shit about new guns too. but then as i moved on into european music cuz never like grunge and then you know  american rock music kind of die, hip hop and rap became the base of US music , so I started to listen other stuffs from finland basically (metal) but   industrial too...german bands mostly I'd say.., I then could appreciate the new songs when played the first time, even OMG I thought was cool, i even remember that i showed it to my ex boyfriend, who hated GNr and axl, and he thought OMG was good as he was really into industrial  european bands.

now i like BETTER more than the others ...IRS bored me after listening a couple of times and TWAT liked me after  two minutes. wish the songs were more roughter,  but , well it's my taste hahah.  Tongue

I think it's going to be succesful in other parts of the world but not sure in north america  Undecided.

beer

It'll sell over 2 million copies in the US off name alone, and probably 8-10 million worldwide
lianne
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2006, 04:45:26 AM »

My friend loves Better and hates SCOM, Paradise City, November Rain specifically as well as all the old classics

Im guessing thats a good sign
I'm guessing that your statement is BS!!! How can someone love a 2 min demo over SCOM, PC and NR?? half of these statements are lies to make ppl feel good about the new material.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2006, 05:21:43 AM »

you know I have the link on two none music websites, more like adult type message boards.. You'd be suprised how many people just don't like axl rose and for some reason won't listen to the damn songs ... You get he's a racist, or he made me wait a million years for him to come on stage, or did you see the vmas or why is this gnr without the members..

I really wanted feedback but people are just thick headed or have their feelings already.... Cry
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2006, 05:47:20 AM »

you know I have the link on two none music websites, more like adult type message boards.. You'd be suprised how many people just don't like axl rose and for some reason won't listen to the damn songs ... You get he's a racist, or he made me wait a million years for him to come on stage, or did you see the vmas or why is this gnr without the members..

I really wanted feedback but people are just thick headed or have their feelings already.... Cry
Mike, I put the links on a 1980's forum and no one gives a shit. 1 guy responded. Not positive either. Only like 30 people read my thread.

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2006, 05:51:10 AM »

Mike, I put the links on a 1980's forum and no one gives a shit. 1 guy responded. Not positive either. Only like 30 people read my thread.

here's the thing.. Say everyone is like irs is good or twat is good but it takes a few listens to get into each, or the songs grows on you, well non gnr fans aren't going to sit there ten times in a row listening to one song and get headphones out for more detail... I'm sure for their favorite band they would put the extra effort it..
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2006, 05:58:28 AM »

here's the thing.. Say everyone is like irs is good or twat is good but it takes a few listens to get into each, or the songs grows on you, well non gnr fans aren't going to sit there ten times in a row listening to one song and get headphones out for more detail... I'm sure for their favorite band they would put the extra effort it..
I dont think the demand for this album is as high as everyone thinks. I  used to be in the club that thought it would sell 20 million and be lines around the block. Its not gonna happen. Its been obvious for quite awhile now. He'll be lucky if it can sell 3 or 4 million its first year. U2 was huge with their last album, and vertigo was a craze. everyone listened to that song. Atomic Bomb sold 4 million. Its a completely different time, and with Axl in hibernation since the ice age, he 'better' come out with guns blazing.

badapple81
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2006, 06:08:20 AM »

I'd consider 3-4 million copies over the first couple of years success. I think some people still think it's 1991. 3-4 million over the first couple of years would not be a failure.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2006, 06:14:46 AM »

I dont think the demand for this album is as high as everyone thinks. I? used to be in the club that thought it would sell 20 million and be lines around the block. Its not gonna happen. Its been obvious for quite awhile now. He'll be lucky if it can sell 3 or 4 million its first year. U2 was huge with their last album, and vertigo was a craze. everyone listened to that song. Atomic Bomb sold 4 million. Its a completely different time, and with Axl in hibernation since the ice age, he 'better' come out with guns blazing.

I fucking hated vertigo the song... U-2 is so damn over hyped, but that's not the point..

I think if a song like better is the first single people will be forced to hear it while listening to their rock station or vh1/mtv nad being pleasantly suprised.. The album has GH's type feel of it having a good total run, not an out of the box feeding frenzy.. We'll never know though until axl does soemthing
MIIKA
Headliner

« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2006, 07:01:46 AM »

My girlfriend liked IRS.
badapple81
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2006, 09:03:22 AM »

I sent Better to a very old friend of mine who actually doesn't know I'm really into GN'R until tonight. She has of course heard the classics on the radio before and thinks GN'R are okay/alright. We chat every so often on MSN and I sent her the lyrics to the song. She studies music and education so is into teaching music. I sent her the song without building it up at all. Just told her I was listening to a new GNR track that was leaked when she asked what I was doing..

She 'LOVED' the lyrics before I sent the song. She said the song is amazing & awesome.

She also enjoyed IRS and There Was A Time, but Better the most.

Pretty cool to think I've made a GN'R fan out of a brand new song? ok
Minneapolisnewsman
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2006, 09:27:51 AM »

I sent Better to a very old friend of mine who actually doesn't know I'm really into GN'R until tonight. She has of course heard the classics on the radio before and thinks GN'R are okay/alright. We chat every so often on MSN and I sent her the lyrics to the song. She studies music and education so is into teaching music. I sent her the song without building it up at all. Just told her I was listening to a new GNR track that was leaked when she asked what I was doing..

She 'LOVED' the lyrics before I sent the song. She said the song is amazing & awesome.

She also enjoyed IRS and There Was A Time, but Better the most.

Pretty cool to think I've made a GN'R fan out of a brand new song? ok

"Better" is perfect.  If pushed by the label properly, it can get some airplay on both hard/classic rock formatted stations, and alternative/modern rock stations.  Moreover, once a single like this is accepted, it will be far easier for fans to accept more diverse compositions on the album.  I have many friends, that are college educated and sophists for the most part.  Many of them who don't know the history of GNR or Axl like I do, write them off completely as nothing more than racist homophobes and wife beaters.   I also, live in a major college town, and the most important music scene between Chicago and LA--the 18-24 yr olds in college right now love GNR.  They also dig on the Artic Monkey's, Arcade Fire, Neko Case, Arular (MIA), My Morning Jacket (great damn band), etc.  "Better" bridges that gap between classic GNR/Zepplin and the new college rock they are hearing.  Also, keep in mind Tommy Stinson is highly involved in accentuating Axl's melodies, and writing the rhythm--he is a master of writing college/alt. tunes, and is adept at playing that killer rock in clubs.   Better sounds like a song Tommy helped with, esp. the chorus before it cuts off.  This song can be a smash hit--it moves GNR away from being compared to ACDC, and more to like a Stone Temple Pilots/Soundgarden type thing.   This is positive in the modern landscape!
knut
Who needs custom titles anyway?
Headliner

« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2006, 09:36:28 AM »

I think 'Better' is the song that has the most "mainstream-potential", and everybody who I've played it for have liked it.  Smiley
Especially the chorus round 1:47.  ok

ericy210
Headliner

What's up..... homefuck!

« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2006, 09:40:50 AM »

"Better"- Weird intro, the end of the "shorter version" is cool but the rest is very much like "The Blues"
"IRS"- lame lyrics- FBI, President, IRS- all sound like a depressed 16 year old, but music is cool
"TWAT"- First bit is also like "The Blues" but the last two minutes are just killer- heavy and emotional and all that good stuff

That's the view from some un-GNR people exposed to all the new stuff.? They get nervous with the Breakdown/The Blues/Better/Shotgun Blues stuf, but like the Estranged/end of TWAT heavy stuff, and of course the rockers like Chinese Democracy.? E

Iowa City 1993, Leeds 2002, Quad Cities 2002, Chicago 2002, NYC 2006, Lisbon 2006, London 2006, Donnington 2006, Wembley 2006, Chicago 2006, Toronto 2010, Chicago 2011, Chicago 2012, Chicago 2016 x 2
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2006, 11:53:15 AM »

exact quote..

god those songs suck ass 

i hope it dont get released at all, there gonna bomb !!!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: