Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:45:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227805 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Bob Dylan
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bob Dylan  (Read 29337 times)
VIP

« Reply #120 on: July 20, 2007, 09:52:01 PM »

Dylan is an icon of the 1960s. He was the voice of a generation.

Exactly my thoughts! To the last word.

Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #121 on: July 21, 2007, 12:15:01 AM »

Dylan is a legend in historical terms regarding music.  Can't say I play his music around the house though, he really doesn't resonate to my generation like he did to the baby boomers.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
WeHeldTogether
« Reply #122 on: July 21, 2007, 01:22:58 AM »

I saw him live and he played at least 90-100 minutes.  And who cares if he doesn't play his guitar?  Is that a law or something?

Plus he's over sixty freaking years old.
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #123 on: July 21, 2007, 01:35:40 AM »

There were a slue of rumors as to why Dylan stopped playing guitar.....He said in an interview that it was because he couldn't get the full sound out of it he wanted, but real reports from people around him said it was because of a hand injury he suffered that caused some muscle damage hampering his ability on the guitar.  He's been playing it for 2 or 3 songs on the recent tour so maybe he's worked hisself up to it now. 

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
WeHeldTogether
« Reply #124 on: July 21, 2007, 01:37:53 AM »

Yeah i heard the same thing, but i DIDNT hear that he was playing it for two or three songs now.  I could've gotten tickets to see him near me, but i didn't...not enough money, sadly, and now they're sold out.

He still puts on a very good show.
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #125 on: July 21, 2007, 09:21:42 AM »

Is Bob Dylan overrated?

It is a heresy to say that,

Burn the heretic. Wink

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #126 on: September 07, 2008, 05:07:13 PM »

holy fuck, this thread is over a year old.. thought it was like 2 months Tongue

anyway just watched i'm not there and felt like i dug pretty much every song in it..

so can some fans tell me 3 albums to check out? thanks beer smoking
GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #127 on: September 07, 2008, 11:23:59 PM »

*the following resonse is coming from the question in the title*

Yes yes

i think he is overrated however not bad either

peace

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #128 on: September 08, 2008, 01:31:11 AM »

anyway just watched i'm not there and felt like i dug pretty much every song in it..

Blonde on Blonde
Highway 61 Revisted
Blood On The Tracks
Desire
Bring It Back Home
John Wesley Harding
The Times They Are A-Changing

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #129 on: September 08, 2008, 07:01:04 PM »

Blonde on Blonde
Highway 61 Revisted
Blood On The Tracks
Desire
Bring It Back Home
John Wesley Harding
The Times They Are A-Changing

Freewheeling, also.
Henson
Headliner

Need to see a revival tonight...

« Reply #130 on: September 09, 2008, 12:05:21 PM »

Over rated? I'd be opt to classify him as under rated based on some of the reviews he gets from substantially under-learnt 'critics'
   The idea that he can not sing always has baffled me, as no one ever properly defines 'good singing.'
Granted, over the past years his voice has taken on a slight change (As almost every mid sixty year old vocal ability would) I question whether his songs could be sung any better than the way he has since '61.
The concept of 'good singing' probably should be based upon how well the vocal performance captures the song and pushes towards the ideal as a whole. 
    For instance, if Celion Dion sung Idiot Wind. I'm sure the voice would sound prettier, but is that what one really wants when listening to music? Pretty voices? 
   I've always found people who disapprove of his vocals actually never listened to much of Dylan in the first place.  Usually, the songs they list are from early on from albums such as The times, Freewheelin, Another Side and so on. However (partially bias as you can tell I have placed Dylan somewhere near the Lord) I don't think I have heard better vocals in all of music than on Blood on the Tracks, or Blonde on Blonde.

Plus he rhymed metaphors, who the hell rhymes metaphors?!

Idiot wind, blowing like a circle around my skull
from the Grand Coulee Dam to the Capitol

Sorry, I get overly defensive of the man, deepest apologies.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #131 on: September 11, 2008, 04:14:32 PM »

I dont know if overated is a good word to describe Bob Dylan...but i defintiely dont "get him."  Here is a list of other bands that i dont get that milliions of others do....Dave Matthews, Phish, Grateful Dead, Nickelback, Tool, Foo Fighters, Bruce Springsteen(i like him, but im not amazed by him).....The exteme popularity of these bands confuses me...im not saying they suck im saying that I dont see what is so special about any of them....same goes for Bob Dylan....Im not a huge Ac/dc fan but I understand why people would like them...the bands I listed I am having trouble understanding the attraction...I only bring this up because this Bob Dylan thing was mentioned and he falls in this category for me.
DEAD HORSE
VIP

08.08.08 ?

« Reply #132 on: September 12, 2008, 01:34:35 AM »

Bob Dylan is Jesus Christ whether you wanna accept it or not

If the world would end today... Wink
Bitch Slap Rappin
Rocker

« Reply #133 on: September 12, 2008, 11:27:19 AM »

Well Bob is noted for his deep thoughts behind the words he wrote.........(this is a good thing).
He was a heavy thinker. Jim Morrison was a heavy thinker. They are a different form of Art........

....speaking of Art..........tell me..........why is Britney Spears so famous?Huhrofl
Kodak
Opening Act

« Reply #134 on: September 14, 2008, 05:01:13 PM »

i love soem of his tunes.dont listen to alot of it though.went to see him in the sprinf and it SUCKED . hard core. his new band sucks. he played synth the whole show.all new songs.butchered like a rolling stone . didnt look at anyone.stood still the whole god damn time. highlight of the whole show was the harmonica done by his truly

Saber idiomas es tener cultura . quel que chose que je pense todas las d?as
Henson
Headliner

Need to see a revival tonight...

« Reply #135 on: September 15, 2008, 02:35:44 AM »

Recent Dylan shows have been hit and miss, it's hardly the band's fault, they are actually top notch players.
The difference that I've seen has been his attitude on any given night, some songs kill one night, then barely make a flutter the next.  I imagine the crowd also played a factor in the handful of shows I've been to lately, the crowds that got it and loved it seemed to bring something special out of him those nights.
  But back to the band, they're up there not knowing what to expect just like the crowd as the song's tempo/lyrical cues/everything/etc change night to night the same way he's been doing it since the Rolling thunder revue which is probably the time most songs began their drastic overhaul.
lennonisgod
VIP

TWAT

« Reply #136 on: September 20, 2008, 07:01:01 PM »

no. he's a god.

He's definitely up there with God for sure...

Bob Dylan has never been a great singer and has never claimed to be, so some people write him off because of that.

The guy has written some of the best albums we will ever hear and he's influenced a countless number of musicians.

I personally think his first albums are the best he's done but a lot of people like his "electric" stuff better. But no, I don't think he's overrated at all. As always, to each their own.

Social class and registers, Cocaine in the hall, All the way from California...
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #137 on: October 22, 2008, 10:29:53 PM »

It's all been said, but I'll throw in my 2 cents.... Dylan was a great songwriter but he was/is the world's worst singer, and he's hugely overrated for that.  Basically anybody can perform a Bob Dylan song better than Bob Dylan.  A great example is "Knockin on Heaven's Door" by a certain favorite band of ours....
Chief
Legend

« Reply #138 on: October 22, 2008, 11:47:08 PM »

he used to be a much better singer.... but overall he rules!

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #139 on: October 23, 2008, 12:01:05 AM »

Fuck all the people who are enrolled at the "Bob Dylan Can't Sing School of Lameness."

You people have obviously never listened to Nashville Skyline.

You're all just a bunch of followers who never even listen to the tunes and open your big yaps.

Now, fall asleep on an active railroad track.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: