Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:02:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227784 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Bob Dylan
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bob Dylan  (Read 29308 times)
judaskennedy
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #80 on: September 11, 2006, 02:31:18 AM »

theres only one way to solve this Dylan vs. Prince scandal- and that is a late night basketball game

« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 02:35:40 AM by judaskennedy » Logged
Poof!
Rocker

« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2006, 03:27:04 AM »

It's all about taste. I feel that CD's (and digital recording) is the best thing that have happened to audio production. Some like the gritty and "raw" sound of vinyl, others like the fact that they can get pretty much any sound they want due to digital recording and CD manufacturing. And if it's an issue with releasing the vision you have and still being able to reach the masses through a major label, well, then I suggest Dylan records his albums in an analog studio, transfer that recording to vinyl then transfer the raw vinyl sound onto a CD and whaddayaknow, you have your vinyl-sounding-but-still-mass-produced-and-market-friendly-product.  ok

Or Dylan could just go back to playing clubs and sell those vinyl LP's out of the back of his van...No one's forcing him to make millions off of distributing music on CD's on a major label.  Roll Eyes
keenly
Banned
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #82 on: September 11, 2006, 01:32:45 PM »

Dylan has NOTHING on Prince; HE HAS NOT COVERED MORE GENRES!

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.? Dylan's only covered the blues, rockabilly, soul, jazz, folk, rock n roll, gospel, country, etc....Dylan's done it all and then some....Prince, while interesting in his own right, can't touch Dylan...not musically not lyrically.? That's not personal taste either, that's just fact.

rofl

What a joke!

NOBODY ALIVE can touch Prince!

Is Dylan a great song writer, bass player, guitar player, drummer, keyboards, piano, synthesisers?

Can he rip a guitar solo then sit at the piano and sing in an amazing falsetto, jump up do the splits, spin and let off a spine tingling scream?

I have 23 Prince albums and i have listened to lots of music; i know for a fact musicians are in amazement at Prince.
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #83 on: September 11, 2006, 01:43:05 PM »

So what if he may hate GNR.

They were just stupid little white boy posers anyways. Just ask Axl.

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
judaskennedy
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #84 on: September 12, 2006, 07:10:12 AM »

lets say bob dylan and prince are playing in your town the same night at the same time in bars that are across town from each other-   a madman has taken your family hostage and says you have to go see one of these shows

who would you go see?

my vote is for prince
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #85 on: September 12, 2006, 09:42:42 PM »

Dylan has NOTHING on Prince; HE HAS NOT COVERED MORE GENRES!

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.? Dylan's only covered the blues, rockabilly, soul, jazz, folk, rock n roll, gospel, country, etc....Dylan's done it all and then some....Prince, while interesting in his own right, can't touch Dylan...not musically not lyrically.? That's not personal taste either, that's just fact.

No, it is your opinion, and most music critics would probably agree that Prince is more diverse when it comes to his SOUND. Dylan is a better lyricist but he has never been regarded as a strong singer, and his main style is folk - Prince is definitely more "out there" than Dylan when it comes to experimentation with different genres. Listen to 3121 (or whatever it's called) and then compare that to Purple Rain - you'd never think it's the same guy.

I can tell you the same thing.......go listen to Blonde on Blonde/Highway 61/Another Side of BD and then listen to Nashville Skyline.   Two totally different sounds and genres...even a different voice.   And to the other person who asked if Dylan could play all those instruments........YES....he's a multi-instrumentalist.  His main style WAS folk in the 60's....but he evolved heavily over the years.   Listen to New Morning or Blood On The Tracks.....some of those songs will blow you away lyrically, musically anyway you want it.  And as for the concert question......I saw Dylan live last Sunday.  From other setlists of this past tour, we in State College got one of his best set lists in years.....and he was playing in full force.  Laughing, having a great time and even sung his ass off for Highway 61.  Overall with the opening acts (Elana James...a beautiful stunning queen of the violin, Junior Brown...you have to see him in person to truly be awed...and SRV's older brother Jimmie) it was the best concert I'd ever been to. 

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
zakas80
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #86 on: September 18, 2006, 10:59:16 PM »

great album as expected! was wondering what other peoples favorite song is on the album?  mine is def workingman's blues #2 ok

Its what used to be's not there for me
And oughta find someone that belonged insane like i do
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #87 on: September 19, 2006, 12:10:37 AM »

great album as expected! was wondering what other peoples favorite song is on the album?? mine is def workingman's blues #2 ok

I like Someday Baby, but Nettie Moore is cool too.  Workingman's Blues #2 has some great lyrics though.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
philspectorshotme
Rocker

i wasn't complaining!

« Reply #88 on: September 20, 2006, 07:43:59 PM »

best album ever.

well, of the decade at least.

aint talkin' is so good, its maybe top 10 dylan. top 30 at least.
comaknight
Rocker

When all is said and done, we're not the only ones

« Reply #89 on: September 21, 2006, 11:18:20 PM »

Love it.  Workingman's Blues #2 is heartbreaking, Nettie Moore is similarly affecting.  Someday Baby is a great backhand swipe and Ain't Talkin' is an amazing atmospheric closer.  I can't wait for his NY show in November!
Mattattack
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #90 on: September 22, 2006, 04:31:31 PM »

I really enjoyed Time Out of Mind, but Love and Theft and Modern Times are quite jazzy and boring. They would be good albums to play in the background at a nice restaurant, but that's all they are, background music. Don't let the reviews fool you, Modern Times is definitely not in the same league as Blood on the Tracks, Blonde on Blonde, Highway 61, and even Time out of Mind. I saw Bob Dylan last year and his singing was indecipherable and the song rearrangements were bland. If you're going to see the old guard, save your money and go to "The Who" instead.
EstrangedReality
« Reply #91 on: December 17, 2006, 04:35:29 AM »

I can't get this song out of my head.

It's funny, the album it's from never gets much attention, and the song only gained popularity after being featured in "The Big Lebowski," but it's brilliant.

It sounds like standard Dylan, but something about the opening (the "Whoooo whooo whooo whooo" thing) is kinda trippy and harmonious...separating it from other work. It almost becomes something totally different in the opening - something with the surge of instruments and the way the voice effortlessly shifts between keys like that. Very odd (but wonderful) effect it gives the song.

Anyway, yeah. I just love this song. The lyrics, the melody, the vocals - all great. And it worked so well in the film.  Grin
Eduardo
VIP

Its just that demon life has got him in its sway

« Reply #92 on: December 18, 2006, 05:45:52 PM »

Great song. Dylan rocks ok
2007what!
Banned
Rocker

Shut Up And Be A Victim Of Authority

« Reply #93 on: December 18, 2006, 06:08:53 PM »

bob dylan, lyrical mastermind and creative genius. no one in front and none on the sides.

you can find him at the pub with the grub stain chuggin on a small tub of pain to his bugged brain
Africa
Banned
Rocker

No Woman, No Cry

« Reply #94 on: March 22, 2007, 11:37:25 AM »

Words can't even describe how amazing this album is. Pure brilliance from the man who has made the best music in the world for the past 40 years and still has it! Nettie Moore, Workingman's Blues #2, Ain't Talkin', Spirit On The Water, The Levee's Gonna Break... The list goes on. Pure magic from the world's number 1 creative genius and musical inspiration. Cool

gone. IMHO just like everything else he recorded for the band.

buckethead stops now!

rofl
Axlfreek
Legend

« Reply #95 on: March 22, 2007, 11:52:07 AM »

Words can't even describe how amazing this album is. Pure brilliance from the man who has made the best music in the world for the past 40 years and still has it! Nettie Moore, Workingman's Blues #2, Ain't Talkin', Spirit On The Water, The Levee's Gonna Break... The list goes on. Pure magic from the world's number 1 creative genius and musical inspiration. Cool

Thats a bold statement.

Theres alot of musicians out there but i certanly wouldnt call Dylon the #1 creative musical genius.

Didn't he copy Woodie Guthrie alot in his music ?

Oh well, to each his own.  beer

"Live the full life of the mind, exhilarated by new ideas, intoxicated by the romance of the unusual."
Hemingway
Africa
Banned
Rocker

No Woman, No Cry

« Reply #96 on: March 22, 2007, 11:56:01 AM »

Woodie Guthrie was his inspiration in his early days as a young musician and yes he imitated him, but that was before he grew to be an astounding artist on his own. And no, in Dylan's case I don't think it's a bold statement at all, if you look into things you will find that a huge amount of artists today have been inspired by Bob Dylan in one way or another. There is a reason he is the most covered artist of all time and that a large chunk of his songs have went on to become hits performed by other artists. As a creative genius and inspiration he is unparallelled.

buckethead stops now!

rofl
Axlfreek
Legend

« Reply #97 on: March 22, 2007, 04:15:39 PM »

Woodie Guthrie was his inspiration in his early days as a young musician and yes he imitated him, but that was before he grew to be an astounding artist on his own. And no, in Dylan's case I don't think it's a bold statement at all, if you look into things you will find that a huge amount of artists today have been inspired by Bob Dylan in one way or another. There is a reason he is the most covered artist of all time and that a large chunk of his songs have went on to become hits performed by other artists. As a creative genius and inspiration he is unparallelled.

Ya your probably right.

Honestly, i dont really know alot about bob dylan. just recently i've been listening to alot of his stuff on itunes, really mellow shit, i like it alot.

I also picked up that "no direction home" dvd. really good.

"Live the full life of the mind, exhilarated by new ideas, intoxicated by the romance of the unusual."
Hemingway
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #98 on: March 22, 2007, 07:38:46 PM »

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kioVHy3fqwU
Africa
Banned
Rocker

No Woman, No Cry

« Reply #99 on: March 28, 2007, 10:28:03 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfJO6_lk-lM

Pure magic.

buckethead stops now!

rofl
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: