Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 03:35:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227824 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Megadeth
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Megadeth  (Read 141717 times)
GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #620 on: January 11, 2012, 10:42:38 AM »

Naa it's not like that but it's got some really good songs on it. Def worth buying.  ok However, I don't think it's as good as Endgame. Now that is a masterpiece that I think stands up the best  like rust in piece.

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #621 on: January 11, 2012, 12:57:50 PM »

So anyone buy the new album? Is it more political rhetoric? Really wish Dave would make another masterpiece like Youthanasia.

I gave it a listen. Wasn't blown away, but haven't given it much time.
Lyrically, Dave lost me after Youthanasia, but musically he got me back with Endgame.
They didn't hold anything back in that department. He might be lyrically tapped at this point, like most of his metal peers.

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #622 on: January 11, 2012, 01:07:35 PM »

An interview with Dave Mustaine:

A metal master?s musings

Posted 4 days ago

"I think our management and agents want to kill us, that's why they booked us in Canada in February," said Mustaine down the line from his home in San Diego, Calif.

"I am sure (Canadian drummer Shawn) Drover is going to be ready. But seriously, it's not so much about any potential inconvenience of discomfort because of the weather, because we're going to be travelling in a nice warm bus. We're coming there to entertain people and to help them feel good. It's just the right thing to do, to not let the elements intimidate you, especially if you're a metal band."

Mustaine said he has an affinity for Canada not just because his drummer is from Montreal, but also because he has some Canadian branches in his family tree.

He also admitted that a venerable Canadian rock band also played a role in a teenaged Mustaine taking music a serious vocation and not just an entertaining pastime.

"I was at a festival called Cal-Jam, and one of your countrymen, April Wine, was playing. And I had gone there because I wanted to see UFO, because I dug Michael Schenker, and Van Halen was playing too," he said.

"And everybody I was with was getting high, and I was really young and still very impressionable, so I went along for the ride with everyone else, and was in sort of la-la land, and the dude does this really great song, doing a harmonica solo and he throws the harp out into the audience, and I am standing there and I swear to God, it just plopped right into my hand. And I was like, 'wow, is this my destiny to be a rock star?'

"And that was it. That was the moment when the switch was turned on, and then not long after when I first heard AC/DC's Let There Be Rock, that was the guitar record that blew my mind."

In the very early 1980s, a group of kids were becoming disenchanted with the staleness and pomp and ceremony of many rock and hard rock bands, and wanted something grittier, more primal, louder and faster.

Mustaine and a couple of friends named James Hetfield and Lars Ulrich soon began to jam, and eventually play gigs on the monicker Metallica.

Mustaine lasted about two years before being summarily kicked out of the band for behavioural and substance abuse issues.

Instead of licking his wounds, the sense of anger and betrayal only fed Mustaine's fire and desire. He partnered up with bassist David Ellefson to form the nucleus of a new band ? Megadeth.

And except for a seven-year gap between 2002 and 2007, Ellefson and Mustaine have been the mainstays in Megadeth.

Drover has been with the band since 2004, while lead guitarist Chris Broderick replaced Shawn's brother, Glen, in 2008.

Gigantour features Megadeth as the headliner, with opening acts Volbeat, Lacuna Coil and metal legends Motorhead.

"You know what, to tell you the truth I didn't even know who they were until I met Lars. I went to his apartment when I first met him and on the wall he had a picture of their drummer Phil (Philthy Animal) Taylor. And James was also really hell bent for Motorhead," Mustaine said.

"I've liked them since then, but having them out on tour now is totally awesome, because as I grew as a metal fan, I started to really dig the energy and the longevity of the band.

"And (frontman Ian) Lemmy (Kilmister) and I have been good friends for a while now. There's kind of a very loyal bond between frontmen, like a frontman's club.

"I am a terrible liar so if I would have told you I was influenced by Lemmy and Motorhead, you'd know I was lying. But I was and am a fan. For me, being a fan and being influenced by something are two different things."

Mustaine handpicked all three support acts on the bill, and said the whole reason for the Gigantour was to offer fans more bang for their buck.

"I like the way this format makes people feel, because when you go to a festival, and there are several bands, it's got a really great vibe. You go home feeling a certain way. And let's face facts, the entertainment value of concerts these days is pretty low," he said.

"When I go to a concert, I want to see some activity. I want to see some movement. I want to see some showbiz, you know what I mean?"

Getting back to his Canadian connection, Mustaine said Drover is the best drummer he's had in the band.

"I've said ever since I met the guy, if we would have just hired him in the beginning, we would never have had another drummer. He's just really great to be around, and he's also a fantastic drummer."

Th1rt3en may be Megadeth's most complete, most powerful album, musically and lyrically, since the 1980s and Mustaine said the sense of urgency and insistence in many of the songs was not faked.

"We tried hard when we were making this record to really get the best that we could in the amount of time that we had. We only had two months to make the whole record, and the first thing we had to do was make a song for a video game. So that took a week, meaning we only really had seven weeks. But that can be fun when you get under the gun like that, because you really have to dig deep. I think that's what gave this records the kind of energetic feeling that it has, because we were wired. Frenetic is a good word for it."

Megadeth actually broke up for a couple of years in 2002 while Mustaine recovered from nerve damage in his arm, as well as because of constant frustration with some of his bandmates' overindulgence.

He also became a born-again Christian.

"Looking up at the cross, I said six simple words, 'What have I got to lose?' Afterwords, my whole life had changed. It's been hard, but I wouldn't change it for anything. I'd rather go my whole life believing that there is a God and find out there isn't than live my whole life thinking there isn't a God and then find out. when I die, that there is," he said in an in interview conducted not long after his conversion.

Ellefson did not return when Megadeth reformed in 2004, as he was already committed to a number of other musical projects. But he heeded the call in late 2009, not long after the band released the critically-acclaimed Endgame album.

"It was so good when he came back. We had a couple of other bass players in the interim, and they were good guys, but there's a sound that Dave has. When we first started playing together I said, 'You're going to play bass guitar like it's a lead guitar, cool?' And we took that same approach with the drums, because the drum is a percussive instrument, but each shell has its own note. So we would play riffs on the drums that would go along with the guitar riffs."

Since 1983, Megadeth has sold 25 million albums, and recently garnered its 10th Grammy nomination for the single Public Enemy No. 1, from Th1rt3en, in the category of Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance.

"I haven't won yet, so I don't really know what it means to win a Grammy. The bummer is that if we do win, we won't be there to accept it because we're going to be on tour," said Mustaine.

For tickets to the Gigantour show, visit the K-Rock Centre box office, or order through Ticketmaster.

http://www.thewhig.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3426799

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #623 on: January 12, 2012, 03:31:45 PM »

Lyrically, Dave lost me after Youthanasia, but musically he got me back with Endgame.

Dude end game has it all the 8 out of 11songs just shred major ass  smoking headbanger
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 03:33:25 PM by CHINESE DEMOCRACY NOW » Logged

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #624 on: January 12, 2012, 04:23:50 PM »

Dude end game has it all the 8 out of 11songs just shred major ass  smoking headbanger

Yeah, it's a bad ass album. The instrumental opener and head crusher are my favorites, but it's solid all the way around. Much more than I expected from Megadeth at this stage in their career.
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #625 on: January 13, 2012, 02:04:13 AM »

The religious shit ruined the band. 

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #626 on: January 18, 2012, 10:10:05 AM »

No it didn't  Undecided

Instrumentally, that band is completely solid. The solos in Sudden death are insane headbanger

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #627 on: February 09, 2012, 01:24:57 PM »

From Dave Mustaine:

Dave Mustaine rejoins Metallica ? briefly

February 8, 2012

But last December Mustaine finally rejoined Metallica on stage in San Francisco for part of the band?s 30th anniversary celebrations.

?I played four or five songs with them ? just me, James, Lars, Robert [trujillo] and Kirk was over on the side,? Mustaine says. ?Kirk didn?t look too happy about it, but I think he was a good sport.

?I think you can see from the way the guys lit up that it was mutually beneficial for everybody. We all expected something magical to happen, and it did. We were playing stuff off the first record that I?d written in my teenage years. It was a blast.?

Does this mean the long-standing feud is over? As New Kids on the Block and Backstreet Boys gave into their own gravity to become NKOTBSB, will these monsters of metal now become Megatallica?

?I would certainly look forward to another opportunity with those guys,? Mustaine says. ?The competition is done. I?d love to do a record with James, Lars and Dave Ellefson, but I don?t know if it?s in the cards. Maybe a single for charity or something.

http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/weekend/10519258-421/dave-mustaine-rejoins-metallica-briefly.html

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #628 on: February 10, 2012, 02:06:39 PM »

Mustaine feels Peyton Manning's pain

February 9, 2012

Mustaine's empathy with the burden of an NFL passer isn't limited to Manning. Mustaine, a born-again Christian, says he's paid close attention to the meteoric rise in popularity of virtuous Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow. And he likes it.

"There are so many kids looking up to him now, instead of shaking their butt around and doing the vulgar dancing," he says. "You've got all these ridiculous dances guys do after a tackle. What's worse, a guy getting down on his knee and praying?

"What happened to good, old-fashioned smash-mouth football?" Mustaine adds. "That was one of the few sports you could count on for clean-cut athletes. Now, it looks like half the people playing are girls because they all have long hair."

Continue here: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/thelife/music/news/story?id=7558929

Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #629 on: February 10, 2012, 03:00:54 PM »

Megadeth has had religious messages/ themes in their music since "Peace Sells."  That was 1986.
Goddamn_Electric
Rocker

« Reply #630 on: February 11, 2012, 09:11:00 AM »

Mustaine is a douche bag, and his forum moderator is an even bigger douche bag.  The dude cant handle a sliver of negative criticism, and needs everyone on his website to do nothing but wash his balls.

Megadeth at one point in time was a great band.  And at one point in time while GNR was on Hiatus - they were my favorite band - but Dave Mustaine is a joke.  The best joke in Heavy Metal.

11/17/02 Mark of the Quad Cities
11/27/06 Rosemont Horizon
2/19/2012 House of Blues Chicago
7/1/2016 Soldier Field Chicago
7/3/2016 Soldier Field Chicago
10/13/2019 Exit 111 Festival
GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #631 on: February 13, 2012, 02:41:42 PM »

Mustaine is a douche bag, and his forum moderator is an even bigger douche bag.  The dude cant handle a sliver of negative criticism, and needs everyone on his website to do nothing but wash his balls.

Megadeth at one point in time was a great band.  And at one point in time while GNR was on Hiatus - they were my favorite band - but Dave Mustaine is a joke.  The best joke in Heavy Metal.

Your a joke  Tongue

They were a greats band then they went through the shit phase like every other band does like Metallica did. Then they came back. They're still in that phase and if you can't hear that then you need to fix your ears

And just because you got band from the megadeth forum doesn't mean the mod is a dick. Try talking shit on GNR and see how nice jarmo is to ya.

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
Goddamn_Electric
Rocker

« Reply #632 on: February 13, 2012, 07:41:10 PM »

Your a joke  Tongue

They were a greats band then they went through the shit phase like every other band does like Metallica did. Then they came back. They're still in that phase and if you can't hear that then you need to fix your ears

And just because you got band from the megadeth forum doesn't mean the mod is a dick. Try talking shit on GNR and see how nice jarmo is to ya.

Know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.  I was "banned" for trying to keep a portion of the megadeth.com community together.  As a matter of fact, I didn't even make a post on the .com forums about it as far as I can remember.  Those fags just have major superiority complex.

Risk was beyond pathetic.  I'd take ten Load's over one Risk.  And as far as fixing my ears goes, I dont need to.  Find yourself a live bootleg of the Big Four show where Mustaine sounds like garbage, and then watch the DVD that is basically just a music video because all the vocals were redone with autotune   

There are more negative GNR comments in one thread on this forum than on the entire megadeth.com forums. 

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #633 on: February 14, 2012, 12:22:45 PM »

Interview: Megadeth's Dave Mustaine talks guitar, politics and today's music

"Rock isn't dead ? it's just out of ideas"

Joe Bosso, Tue 14 Feb 2012

When we caught up with Megadeth frontman Dave Mustaine last December, the guitarist spoke at length about topics ranging from the band's astonishing new album TH1RT3EN, his renewed relationship with Metallica, songwriting, riffs and how he welcomed bassist Dave Ellefson back into the fold.

http://www.musicradar.com/news/drums/interview-megadeths-dave-mustaine-talks-guitar-politics-and-todays-music-529703

LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #634 on: February 14, 2012, 02:39:57 PM »

Your a joke  Tongue

Know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.  I was "banned" for trying to keep a portion of the megadeth.com community together.  As a matter of fact, I didn't even make a post on the .com forums about it as far as I can remember.  Those fags just have major superiority complex.

Risk was beyond pathetic.  I'd take ten Load's over one Risk.  And as far as fixing my ears goes, I dont need to.  Find yourself a live bootleg of the Big Four show where Mustaine sounds like garbage, and then watch the DVD that is basically just a music video because all the vocals were redone with autotune   

There are more negative GNR comments in one thread on this forum than on the entire megadeth.com forums. 

Have you had the chance to catch Mustaine live?
I'm a huge fan of both Megadeth and Metallica. Probably a bigger Metallica fan growing up, and I've seen them both many times live.
Metallica got the last of my money back in 2009. I'll probably check out Megadeth everytime they hit Boston. It's night and day who the better live band is. Megadeth blows Metallica off the stage. I can see why Metallica was hesitant to do the big 4 shows.
Personally I think they both hit the wall creatively a long, long time ago.
The Black album to me was overrated, and they really lost me with Load. Megadeth  kept making quality records like Countdown, Youthanasia and to a lesser extent Cryptic Writings. Risk indeed sucked, and so did just about everything after aside from Endgame. Death Magnetic is garbage after you get through the initial nostalgic sound. I don't fault them really. How many good metal records can one band make? It's proven to be a difficult task.

Metallica isn't bad live, but James kind of mails it in these days, letting the crowd do a lot of the work. Megadeth is an absolute powerhouse, and in my opinion the best live band on the planet when they are on, which is every time I've seen them so far.
Goddamn_Electric
Rocker

« Reply #635 on: February 14, 2012, 02:58:21 PM »

Your a joke  Tongue

I'm a huge fan of both Megadeth and Metallica. Probably a bigger Metallica fan growing up, and I've seen them both many times live.
Metallica got the last of my money back in 2009. I'll probably check out Megadeth everytime they hit Boston. It's night and day who the better live band is. Megadeth blows Metallica off the stage. I can see why Metallica was hesitant to do the big 4 shows.
The Black album to me was overrated, and they really lost me with Load. Megadeth  kept making quality records like Countdown, Youthanasia and to a lesser extent Cryptic Writings. Risk indeed sucked, and so did just about everything after aside from Endgame. Death Magnetic is garbage after you get through the initial nostalgic sound. I don't fault them really. How many good metal records can one band make? It's proven to be a difficult task.

Metallica isn't bad live, but James kind of mails it in these days, letting the crowd do a lot of the work. Megadeth is an absolute powerhouse, and in my opinion the best live band on the planet when they are on, which is every time I've seen them so far.

I've seen Megadeth live in the double digits, man.  After the last couple vocally pathetic shows...I wont pay to see them again unless Dave decides he only wants to play guitar and hires a frontman who can sing.  I also have not - and will not see Metallica since Jason quit the band.  I don't like the way James sings anymore...and while Trujillo is a talanted musician - I can't stand watching him do his monkey dance with Metallica.

LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #636 on: February 15, 2012, 09:05:23 AM »

Your a joke  Tongue

I've seen Megadeth live in the double digits, man.  After the last couple vocally pathetic shows...I wont pay to see them again unless Dave decides he only wants to play guitar and hires a frontman who can sing.  I also have not - and will not see Metallica since Jason quit the band.  I don't like the way James sings anymore...and while Trujillo is a talanted musician - I can't stand watching him do his monkey dance with Metallica.

Gotcha. I just saw Megadeth a couple weeks ago in Lowell, MA. I didn't notice Mustaine's voice being off, but it was a pretty damn loud show, and my ears were still ringing from Motorhead's set. The band was tight as usual. It didn't live up to the Rust in Peace show from last year. They played 3 new songs in a row that I wasn't real familiar with. They sounded good, but could have done w/o em. Hearing Holy Wars, and Hangar 18 was worth the price of admission for me. That new guitarist they have is no Friedman, but he's not far off, live.

I hear you on Metallica. I've seen them a few times since the Black album, and only once with Trujillo, but that's enough for me.
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #637 on: February 15, 2012, 01:19:41 PM »

Your a joke  Tongue

I've said this before and I'll say it again, old men don't make good music. All good music is written when their brains are young.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #638 on: February 15, 2012, 02:34:01 PM »

Your a joke  Tongue

I've said this before and I'll say it again, old men don't make good music. All good music is written when their brains are young.

Yeah, there are exceptions, but I generally agree.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #639 on: February 17, 2012, 12:35:16 PM »

From David Ellefson:

Megadeth rockers reunited after healing rift

Feb. 17, 2012

"It's pretty funny, isn't it? When you fight (God), you have struggles and it's an uphill battle," said Ellefson. "When you surrender to it and you embrace it, that becomes like a jet engine that rockets you forward with not just great success but ease.

"All of a sudden, you're not operating from a place of always being so competitive and fear-based. You start to go downstream instead of always paddling upstream," he explained. "When you start running your business from a place of fear, you essentially work against yourself."

"God did put a lot in this planet. There's a lot in this world to write songs about and that's what we do.

"That's the misconception that if you're a metal guy, you only sing about the devil and if you're a church guy you only sing about the Lord," he added. "What a lame stereotype that is.  "The only reason we talk about (our faith) is because people ask us about it," he said. "The Megadeth tour isn't some crusade. We're not on some mission."

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2012202170323

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: