Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:04:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227823 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Megadeth
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Megadeth  (Read 141616 times)
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #340 on: November 23, 2006, 06:24:08 PM »

Rust in Peace is much less commercial than the previous 2 albums. It's much more technical, faster, less groovy, and it doesn't have as many annoyingly catchy, pop-inspired choruses. Even if it's not more tr00 and kvlt in many ways, it's better music. It's not as angry as KIMB, but it has the speed and riffs expected of great thrash metal.

The thrash scene was imploding in the early 90's, so the direction taken by Megadeth was expected. It's just that RiP was a fresh, new direction, while all the albums after it were just more attempts at popularity.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #341 on: November 23, 2006, 06:37:22 PM »

the new songs so dissapointing. damn roadrunner!

html sucks
The Rhiad
« Reply #342 on: November 23, 2006, 06:59:02 PM »

Do you mean "Washington's Next"?
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #343 on: November 23, 2006, 07:15:56 PM »

no "gears of war"

why are there other songs available?

html sucks
The Rhiad
« Reply #344 on: November 23, 2006, 10:12:51 PM »

no "gears of war"

why are there other songs available?

I assume so but I downloaded a live version of the song I just mentioned on a forum. Yeah the quality's shitty but either way I got to hear what it's like. Maybe I can upload sometime.
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #345 on: November 24, 2006, 01:19:47 AM »

Rust in Peace is much less commercial than the previous 2 albums. It's much more technical, faster, less groovy, and it doesn't have as many annoyingly catchy, pop-inspired choruses.

Don't know about that, I think Hangar 18 and Lucretia for example are some very catchy songs. To me Rust in Peace is their best album, but it was also their most commercial album so far.

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
Hysteron
« Reply #346 on: November 24, 2006, 01:25:21 AM »

Rust in Peace is much less commercial than the previous 2 albums. It's much more technical, faster, less groovy, and it doesn't have as many annoyingly catchy, pop-inspired choruses.

Don't know about that, I think Hangar 18 and Lucretia for example are some very catchy songs. To me Rust in Peace is their best album, but it was also their most commercial album so far.

Listen to Risk, everything post Countdown, except The System Has Failed.
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #347 on: November 24, 2006, 01:28:30 AM »

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
Hysteron
« Reply #348 on: November 24, 2006, 01:30:11 AM »

Bahhhhh!
GNR_Green
VIP

Green Army

« Reply #349 on: November 24, 2006, 02:31:15 PM »

Rust in Peace is much less commercial than the previous 2 albums. It's much more technical, faster, less groovy, and it doesn't have as many annoyingly catchy, pop-inspired choruses. Even if it's not more tr00 and kvlt in many ways, it's better music. It's not as angry as KIMB, but it has the speed and riffs expected of great thrash metal.

The thrash scene was imploding in the early 90's, so the direction taken by Megadeth was expected. It's just that RiP was a fresh, new direction, while all the albums after it were just more attempts at popularity.
Fair enough, but I can't help but feel you're trying too hard to label Megadeth as a 'thrash band' and that all they're allowed to make is thrash?  Or have I got that bit wrong?

KIMB is good but PSBWB is far and away better music.  The riffs are better, the lead guitar is better (Chris Poland = underrated btw), the songs are more thought out, etc.  Megadeth were also playing PSBWB songs live as early as 1984, so that goes against your argument that it was released as a reaction to Master Of Puppets.

Rust In Peace should, imo, satisfy all but the most extreme (all you black metallers etc out there) metal fans.  It has a great balance between fast, heavy, technical and accessibility.  A masterpiece.

As for the later stuff, I agree it was a change but it's still better than most of the mainstream metal for the period.  Dave was trying to show off his 'songwriting' skills a little more and I think he came up with the goods.

"Said if they had someone to buy it, Said I'm sure they'd sell my soul"
Hysteron
« Reply #350 on: November 24, 2006, 02:36:23 PM »

Dave was trying to show off his 'songwriting' skills a little more and I think he came up with the goods.

Because other members of the band at that time, wanted to take a more Pop direction, Dave wanted none of it.
GNR_Green
VIP

Green Army

« Reply #351 on: November 24, 2006, 02:44:07 PM »

Dave was trying to show off his 'songwriting' skills a little more and I think he came up with the goods.

Because other members of the band at that time, wanted to take a more Pop direction, Dave wanted none of it.
Well if he wanted none of it he did even better than I thought!  I'm not sure about which other band members were up to what, but I know Marty left over musical differences as much as anything else.  Doesn't he say something like he wasn't being utilised properly on the VH1 behind the music dvd??

"Said if they had someone to buy it, Said I'm sure they'd sell my soul"
Hysteron
« Reply #352 on: November 24, 2006, 02:53:33 PM »

Well if he wanted none of it he did even better than I thought!? I'm not sure about which other band members were up to what, but I know Marty left over musical differences as much as anything else.? Doesn't he say something like he wasn't being utilised properly on the VH1 behind the music dvd??

I have the Risk remaster booklet in front of me, and Dave mentions Crush 'Em, because he didn't like it, because it was too disco, so persumably Friedman was the one who convinced Dave.
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #353 on: November 24, 2006, 07:25:58 PM »

Megadeth were also playing PSBWB songs live as early as 1984, so that goes against your argument that it was released as a reaction to Master Of Puppets.

Earlier Megadeth songs were more raw and intense. Many people prefer old demos to the cleaner sounding versions on albums. Much of the clean production and style of PSBWB is like MoP. Even the band's logo was changed!
Hysteron
« Reply #354 on: November 24, 2006, 07:51:19 PM »

Megadeth were also playing PSBWB songs live as early as 1984, so that goes against your argument that it was released as a reaction to Master Of Puppets.

Earlier Megadeth songs were more raw and intense. Many people prefer old demos to the cleaner sounding versions on albums. Much of the clean production and style of PSBWB is like MoP. Even the band's logo was changed!

All that says is that they actually had money to spend at that point. It's the way hardcore Metallica fans still prefer MOP over Kill Em' All, it doesn't make a difference if you can make out the words to Peace Sells, it's still a masterpiece, although I like the Peace Sells pre-stuff, I'm still more likely to get drunk and listen to the album Peace Sells than anything else unless it's the songs A Tout Le Monde, or Captive Honour.

Peace Sells is as thrash metal as anything can be.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #355 on: November 24, 2006, 07:53:59 PM »

the new song is available on the website. the one i thought sucked.

html sucks
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #356 on: November 24, 2006, 09:00:15 PM »

Most hardcore Metallica fans like Kill 'Em All more than just about anything else the band did. It was the first thrash album by one of the first 6 or so thrash bands. As time went on, Metallica became less and less important.
Hysteron
« Reply #357 on: November 24, 2006, 09:25:06 PM »

Most hardcore Metallica fans like Kill 'Em All more than just about anything else the band did.

I don't think so, like but not more than AJFA, MOP, RTL, or even Metallica.
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #358 on: November 24, 2006, 11:55:45 PM »

Ok, you're definitely wrong about the Metallica album. Most hardcore Metallica fans pretend the band broke up in 1990. Wink
Hysteron
« Reply #359 on: November 25, 2006, 09:08:02 AM »

Ok, you're definitely wrong about the Metallica album. Most hardcore Metallica fans pretend the band broke up in 1990. Wink

Well in spite of owning all of Metallica's album, I guess I'm not a hardcore fan then.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 34 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: