Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:14:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227816 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  axl's voice in 2006
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: axl's voice in 2006  (Read 14924 times)
Speed Stone
Banned
Opening Act

patiently waiting

« Reply #80 on: April 28, 2006, 12:39:38 AM »

I think the newer voice tops all of Axl's past performances.? It will show in the New York comeback shows.? It better, I'll be there opening night wearing my bucket!

why the fuck would you do that?

i`d be seriously dissapointed if axl`d lip synch.

axl would rather lose his voice mid-way in the performance and still put on a kick-ass show than resort to lip-synching which even the rolling stones have. axl is the last great frontman indeed.

The one and only Speed Stone, reader since '99, member since 2002, had to delete my account due to severe insults by SLCPUNK
SWINGTRADER
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #81 on: April 28, 2006, 03:53:02 AM »

Axl could do his 88-91 style and last 2 years, or play it safe and last 20 more years

I opt for 20.

I would take 2 -3 yrs of 88-91 style Axl over 20 yrs of the current voice.  Besides he's old now  I don't give this new Axl more than 3 yrs before he calls it quits.  So I say screw the "playing it safe" and give me the old Axl  till his voice gives up.   I'll take it one step further  if Axl sings llike he used to in this European tour and his voice gives up and never sings live again  i would be satisfied.  Atleast we were able to see Axl at his best one more time.   
Elrothiel
« Reply #82 on: April 28, 2006, 06:39:47 AM »

Axl could do his 88-91 style and last 2 years, or play it safe and last 20 more years

I opt for 20.

I would take 2 -3 yrs of 88-91 style Axl over 20 yrs of the current voice. Besides he's old now I don't give this new Axl more than 3 yrs before he calls it quits. So I say screw the "playing it safe" and give me the old Axl till his voice gives up. I'll take it one step further if Axl sings llike he used to in this European tour and his voice gives up and never sings live again i would be satisfied. Atleast we were able to see Axl at his best one more time.

Gaah SwingTrader you keep making me go all teary-eyed!!
Woooo!
Headliner

Yeah, we all know Better...

« Reply #83 on: April 28, 2006, 07:10:54 AM »

Axl was never a brilliant singer but he compliments the music they play. In 2002 he sounded more like a singer than he had ever previously done in my opinion. Perhaps he wasn't in perfect physical condition to sprint around etc. but for me it's always been about confidence. You can't expect a guy to dissapear for 9 years and come back sounding like his last show was the day before. As the 2002 tour progressed his voice became stronger and he was singing well. You could even hear a little bit of that raspy nature in his voice here and there...

Just give him time.

There's not anymore that I can do...
Elrothiel
« Reply #84 on: April 28, 2006, 07:12:21 AM »

Axl was never a brilliant singer

Err...WHAT?!
How can you SAY that!!? Axl has always been an AWESOME singer!!
Woooo!
Headliner

Yeah, we all know Better...

« Reply #85 on: April 28, 2006, 07:15:43 AM »

Err...WHAT?!

I can say that quite plainly. He was never a brilliant singer. He had this screetchy voice, which was sometimes torture to listen to i.e. Live Era SCOM. Rubbish. He sounds dreadful there. Axl sounded great in 1988 but by 1993 his voice was worn so badly that he litteraly grunted through songs. Brilliant performer but as a live singer he is no Freddie. Undecided

There's not anymore that I can do...
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #86 on: April 28, 2006, 08:32:12 AM »

Err...WHAT?!

I can say that quite plainly. He was never a brilliant singer. He had this screetchy voice, which was sometimes torture to listen to i.e. Live Era SCOM. Rubbish. He sounds dreadful there. Axl sounded great in 1988 but by 1993 his voice was worn so badly that he litteraly grunted through songs. Brilliant performer but as a live singer he is no Freddie. Undecided

well  his live voice was always amazing except for some shows in 91, 92 and 93 ok

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
requiem156
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #87 on: April 28, 2006, 08:37:35 AM »

There is one huge thing most of u are overlooking.

Axl has NEVER been that great of a live vocalist anyway technically speaking.

He makes up for it with raw emotion and venom but when someone says Axl missed some notes, that makes me question whether u ever heard any early GNR stuff.

Axl isnt that type of singer to sing with perfect pitch throughout, never has and he never will.

youre right to a point

he was missing alot strength in 02 tho, strength that he had in the old days - listen to Tokyo vids - shocking live vox from Axl, but he still had the power, rawness and strength

In 02, he relied on a dodgy falsetto in many instances

No kidding. No man can hit those notes without going to their falsetto/head voice - that's what he has been doing all along. Not even the highest tenor can hit 2 E's above middle C without going to head voice. Pavarotti couldn't do that. Like I said before - he just isn't pushing it as hard now. I find it hard to believe that people actually think that he couldn't sound that raspy anymore - that is not how vocal cords work! Anyway- if you think that Tokyo is one of his great vocal performances, I really don't know what to say. There are literally places on there where he is singing and producing more than one note, because he can't clean it up. I can't watch those because his voice is so messed up. On the other hand, by '93 he had really gotten a lot back, which makes me wonder how he did that. There was no time to recover from surgery...
Moonlight J
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #88 on: April 28, 2006, 10:08:58 AM »

I remember reading in a High Times interview with Sebastian Bach back after Skid Row and GNR toured in which he mentioned that while on tour he tried to use the Cooking With Cannibis cookbook to make treats so he could save his voice on the road. He later went on to ask if they had an extra copy he could get for his good friend Axl Rose. Perhaps Mr. Rose wolud indulge a little too heavily some nights, or perhaps days off. smoking
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #89 on: April 28, 2006, 02:01:45 PM »

In 02, he relied on a dodgy falsetto in many instances

No kidding. No man can hit those notes without going to their falsetto/head voice - that's what he has been doing all along. Not even the highest tenor can hit 2 E's above middle C without going to head voice.
Not to mention the F#  he hits beautifully on the new songs.
I think it's in contralto/ countertenor's range. Tenor usually doesn't go that high. Up to about the first A above middle c? Good post requiem.

He had far stable voice in 02 than in the past. save that the falsetto he tried on a couple of old songs might have sounded a little dodgy, IMO.
duga
VIP

If you're not a rock star - at least act like one

« Reply #90 on: April 28, 2006, 02:32:36 PM »

As close to studio voice as possible.

Stockholm 2006, Oslo 2010, Maryland 2016, Stockholm 2017, Gothenburg 2018

Power to the people, peace out and blame Canada
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: