Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 03, 2024, 03:39:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227992 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The Third Guitarist Question (should Buckethead rejoin or maybe even Slash?)
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Third Guitarist Question (should Buckethead rejoin or maybe even Slash?)  (Read 45072 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #240 on: March 09, 2006, 10:28:52 AM »

It will be like Christmas morning, like when you were a kid)

Ah crap...does that mean we're all gonna have to wear pink bunny suits from Aunt Clara?!?

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
McDuff
« Reply #241 on: March 09, 2006, 10:34:14 AM »

There doesn't need to be a third guitarist
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #242 on: March 09, 2006, 10:38:27 AM »

There doesn't need to be a third guitarist

IMO it really depends on how the songs were written Undecided

if the songs on CD were written with 3 guitars in mind then we do, if they were worked out to only require 2 then the lineup is proll set with Richard and Robin.

Man the end of May sure is taking it's sweet-ass time in coming hihi

Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #243 on: March 09, 2006, 10:38:32 AM »

Finally stop considering Buckethead's guitar parts on these demos are that complicated to play, it's not THAT complicated, it's pretty basic, he just plays fast. every good professional guitarist is able to play that with a little training. and the most important is that his parts are the less melodious guitar parts ever heard in Guns N' Roses. For me, his shredding solos sound out of place and ugly. Robin's solos are much more melodious.

You contradict yourself. It's hard to play fast. His phrasing might not be super complicated but to play at that speed is definitely hard. And all I said was if you held a gun to Robin's head he couldn't recreate those parts if his life depended on it. I'm sure there are plenty who could just not him. Robin's lead playing always sounds too nervous to me in spots where he should probably lay back more. But what do I know I've only been playing guitar for 15 years.

I'm Thorazine Shuffle and I approve this message. ok

McDuff
« Reply #244 on: March 09, 2006, 11:06:46 AM »

Maybe Axl is gonna be the third guitarist Shocked jk  rofl
ElNonoPololo
Headliner

Here Today...I guess

« Reply #245 on: March 09, 2006, 11:42:39 AM »

To those who say it would be easy to replace BH...Have you ever heard anybody play like that? I?m not just refering to his incredible speed, but to his style in general. He definetly has a ??sound?? that?s completely his own. Now, my point is this: you could easily find a guitarist that?s good enough to mimic BH?s parts as they are, but then that guitarist wouldn?t have any creative freedom at all. He would have to be a complete copycat. What would he do live? Play BH?s parts note by note like he did on the album? What about improvisation? You can?t play something Bucketheadesque and mix it with something completely different within the same song. It?s like having a singer that sings like Axl one moment and like Elvis the next. He would have to play something at least in a very similar fashion. And if it?s true that 3 albums were being/are being recorded at the same time, then this does not affect only CD, but the others as well. Have you ever thought of that? I think that would be incredibly frustrating for a guitarist to be limited like that. (Not to mention how frustrating it can be to be a part of a band like Guns, *Puts on Jerry Lewis voice* with the riots, and the cancelling, and the no-showing kindav singer-person... hihi) .

If they bring a third guitarist, the parts shouldn?t be completely re-recorded as they are. The new guitarist should put his own style and wrap it around the songs. Maybe do some re-writting. And that takes time, and talent... On the other hand, IT?S BEEN TWO YEARS SINCE BH LEFT. So who knows...I guess we?ll find out in a couple of months

PD: I don?t really like BH?s playing. I hate shredding; and in my opinion talented guitarists like Vai and Satriani are really at their best when they are NOT playing insanely fast, but more melodically. BucketHead is a VERY interesting player, he does tons of weird, wild stuff...(Johnny Carson) but the Nintendo sounding things he adds here and there and the 30 notes a milisecond solos he sometimes rips do not fit with the Guns sound, imo. At least, judging from bootlegs I?ve heard.

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!!!
bigbri
VIP

"I come in peace."

« Reply #246 on: March 09, 2006, 11:54:37 AM »

rant Just to reiterate this, but Buckethead is not just a shredder or a "weird" sounds player. Anyone thinking that simply is too lazy to do any amount of research at all. And, if you think he's just a shredder, haven't you heard the bootlegs from the 02 tour? He didn't just shred, that's for damn sure, and when called on, he duplicated Slash's parts perfectly, so we already know he can play Slash's style.

On the demos, he's put a unique sound into the songs. It's really gonna suck for you all Bucket haters when the CD comes out, Bucket's on it, and when they tour, no one can make the songs sound the same. And, when the "Democracy" reviews roll in, they're gonna talk about 4 main things: Axl; how long it took to make the CD; how much it cost to make the CD; and Buckethead's unique style.

Koskenkorvasieni
Rocker

Guns N' Finland

« Reply #247 on: March 09, 2006, 11:57:19 AM »

Well, whoever people are the guitarists of GNR now, I've only got one thing to say: please don't EVER let Robin Finck play ANY of Slash's solos again. I swear to god, when I hear Finck butchering the solos on November Rain and SCOM, it makes me wanna push my finger through my eye into my brain and twirl it around....

So Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always thriumph, because good is dumb.
ElNonoPololo
Headliner

Here Today...I guess

« Reply #248 on: March 09, 2006, 12:48:49 PM »

rant Just to reiterate this, but Buckethead is not just a shredder or a "weird" sounds player. Anyone thinking that simply is too lazy to do any amount of research at all. And, if you think he's just a shredder, haven't you heard the bootlegs from the 02 tour? He didn't just shred, that's for damn sure, and when called on, he duplicated Slash's parts perfectly, so we already know he can play Slash's style.

Can?t you read? I said I thought he is a VERY INTERESTING PLAYER WITH A UNIQUE STYLE. I didn?t dismiss his as a shredder. Roll Eyes  I said I hate SHREDDING, that is, very very fast playing. You can?t deny BH, quite often, shreds, or plays very very fast. I AM NOT SAYING HE DOESN?T OR CAN?T PLAY MELODICALLY. I?m not even saying shredding is bad per se, I just happen to hate it. Now, here comes the tricky part, read carefully and slowly, please: BH usually shreds and plays weird Nintendo sounds. He DOES AND CAN play other other things; in fact he often does and mix both things to create something unique. Do I think it goes along well with Guns material? No, but that?s just my opinion. I don?t think he was really confortable duplicating Slash?s parts. He COULD play them perfectly, but I think he saw doing that as a sort of one-time thing, you know? It may have been fun to emulate Slash a little on stage for a while, but since CD wasn?t making any apparent progress, I guess BH thought he had enought and would rather play the way he always has.

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!!!
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #249 on: March 09, 2006, 01:23:03 PM »

Why is this thread so long?  Didn't somebody (Richard I think) already say that him and Robin are sharing the lead?

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #250 on: March 09, 2006, 01:30:24 PM »

buckethead, unique style ? i just think he's technically brilliant, with some good inspiration sometimes,
but i see him as a Satriani and i don't think he has a particular sound.
you can recognize Hendrix, Clapton, Slash at the first notes they play, i can't say the same for Buckethead...

to answer to this topic : if Slash will rejoin Guns, it will be just amazing.

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #251 on: March 09, 2006, 01:33:26 PM »

Why is this thread so long?? Didn't somebody (Richard I think) already say that him and Robin are sharing the lead?
yeah I agree. But it seems there is a kind of Buckethead sect around here. They might be the only ones on earth. hihi
Anyway, Robin and Richard will do a great job, no doubt about it. I have a GREAT feeling about this guitar duet, they really complete each other, the new band is like a team now, and since I've heard what Robin is capable of on the demos, I even start beeing a fan of him. Smiley
« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 01:36:45 PM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
ARC
VIP

DANCE DANCE DANCE DANCE DANCE TO THE RADIO

« Reply #252 on: March 09, 2006, 01:56:34 PM »

I can't figure out whether the legal press release has given more possibilty for a Slash return or not...

On one hand, he's suing Axl, so that cannot be good for a reunion.

But on the other hand, he's bitching about his VR bandmates...
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #253 on: March 09, 2006, 02:42:44 PM »

"Axl hasn't stated that bucketheads work will be on the album has he?? What if Axl does not like buckethead as a person now. Does he leave the guitar work on because he believes it is better for the song."

Yeah that was my question...from what I've read about these demos BH is on them (correct?)...if that benefits Axl in any way shape or form, whether that be more albums sold once the album is released, good\bad publicity whatever Axl will leave him on the record...the only way BH comes back (in my humble opinion) is via a legal threat\contract thingie...so I would be a bit cautious about linking BH's currently posted tour date schedule with any kind of gnr connection...there are suppose to be more BH dates added according to BHL...I really think Fortus can do the job though (again, my two cents)

I personally think Bucket's parts will definitely be deleted. no way he is gonna want Bucket to get all this credit if he isnt even in the band.

What if Slash and Axl were in talks for Slash to guest spot on one song?

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
blues rocker
Banned
Rocker

ANGUS YOUNG - AC/DC

« Reply #254 on: March 09, 2006, 03:09:14 PM »

they should definitely try to get buckethead back....considering that his guitars will be on chinese democracy, it only makes sense to have him in the band when they tour, and to have him take part in the comeback, etc....but they should only let him back in if he agrees to do away with the retarted mask and bucket get-up.  as good as he is, he probably hurts the band more than anything because he is such a freak, and no one will take gnr seriously with a lead guitarst that looks like something out of peewee's playhouse.
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #255 on: March 09, 2006, 03:20:37 PM »

Saw Bucket last night in Nashville, TN... and man... he's fucking incredible. Pure nonesense that he can't play with feeling... I heard some stuff last night as beautiful as anything I've heard Slash play. Anyway, he was a little late getting on and disappeared after the show... but I did talk to the dude that handles all the Buckethead merchandise and basically travels with BH on a daily basis... he said "no way in hell" when I asked him if BH will go back to GN'R... I wanted some more info... but he just shook his head and chuckled like I was speaking martian... so either he's sitting on a BIG secret and didn't want to disclose OR BH ain't ever going back...

Actually last night was kind of painful... BH is so fucking awesome and it was such a coup when Axl landed him... it's a pity things didn't work out... but we're probably better off to just block it out of our minds and hope/assume that in the last 2 years Axl's come up with something even better (another player or even better music by increasing Robin's and Richard's roles). ok
« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 03:23:34 PM by MaoAxl » Logged

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
AxlFink
VIP

thelesserkings.com

« Reply #256 on: March 09, 2006, 04:02:37 PM »

so seriously, if you all could take back one guitarist would you want slash or buckethead?  I hope BH's parts are deleted even though they sound amazing.  Fuck him if he doesnt want in.  He shouldnt get credit for dick.  Why should axl further BH's fame.  I hope Fortus is a shredder and can redo BH's parts. 
McDuff
« Reply #257 on: March 09, 2006, 04:07:40 PM »

like I said before maybe Axl will be the third guitarist hihi
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #258 on: March 09, 2006, 04:42:35 PM »

I would take Buckethead back over Slash. Slash would be for nostalgia... Buckethead would take GN'R through Chinese Democracy and beyond...

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
SADIS
« Reply #259 on: March 09, 2006, 05:08:37 PM »

I would take Buckethead back over Slash. Slash would be for nostalgia... Buckethead would take GN'R through Chinese Democracy and beyond...

I don't know man. I think that Buckethead is too much of an elite kinda thing. You have to really like his style. And the people I've played the new songs to said it was kinda too much, especially the part in Better.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: