Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 12:19:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228063 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Rolling Stone - Hammerstein!
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rolling Stone - Hammerstein!  (Read 7539 times)
bazgnr
Legend

« on: May 15, 2006, 05:43:08 PM »

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/10315213/no_riots_as_guns_n_roses_rock_new_york

No Riots as Guns N' Roses Rock New York
Axl and an all-new G N' R rip through two of four Hammerstein shows

ONLINE EXCLUSIVE
Police reported that Friday night's line to get into the first of four Guns N' Roses warm-up shows at New York's Hammerstein Ballroom spanned nearly five blocks. A late sound check prevented fans, decked out in vintage G N'R tees and swilling booze in brown paper bags (some of whom were later served public drinking tickets), to enter at the scheduled door time of 7:30 p.m. At around 8:15 p.m., the line began to inch forward, bringing fans waiting since 11 a.m. closer to the door. At neighboring bars, laid-back tailgaters were getting lit to classic Guns N' Roses sing-a-longs. With anticipation mounting, devotees were hoping for at least one GNR song out of Axl before he possibly walked offstage -- a "Welcome to the Jungle" opener? Others feared that the man himself wouldn't go on at all, and the collective buzz would only lead to rioting.

With the pile-up outdoors, Bullet for My Valentine received a bigger crowd than usual for an opening act. But another hour of the Hammerstein mix tape would pass, with the crowd shouting out the "Hey" in Gary Glitter's "Rock and Roll, Part 2" on autopilot. Finally, at 11:02 p.m., the house lights went dark. "Are you ready? Let me hear you? Are you ready?" an announcement came from offstage. An ambient bass and string overture was drowned by the thunderous roar of the crowd, which grew even louder at the opening guitar riffs and pyrotechnic explosions of -- surprise -- "Welcome to the Jungle."

With Axl Rose's piercing howl, the crowd was assured at last the show was actually happening. Dressed in a black silk shirt and big, black, bug-eyed sunglasses, Rose, charismatic as ever, flew across the stage zigzagging between the seven members of the new Guns N' Roses lineup -- guitarists Robin Finck, Rich Fortus, Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal, bassist Tommy Stinson, drummer Brain, keyboardist Chris Pittman and Dizzy Reed.

1987's Appetite for Destruction classics "It's So Easy" and "Mr. Brownstone" followed. Axl and Co. would go on to perform almost every song of the 1987 chart-topping release during the first two nights, but while the evening was basically dominated by old G'N'R classics, Axl didn't hog the spotlight. Each of the three guitarists took the front of the stage for solos. Axl, however, was the rock icon, and he pulled some larger-than-life moves, stretching his arms out in time with the flames that shot from the stage during the chorus to "Live and Let Die."

While Friday night's crowd didn't start surfing until an hour in, during another Appetite for Destruction staple "Out ta Get Me," Sunday night's audience -- not as crowded, with scalpers dumping last-minute tickets at thirty bucks a pop -- featured an instant mosh pit. Fans were surfing by the second number, "It's So Easy." "Damn!" Axl pointed out at Sunday's crowd. "We had people screamin' their heads off Friday, but you guys are kickin' the shit out of them! Happy Mother's Day, motherfuckers!"

Rose would eventually dedicate Sunday night's show to his mom and rekindled buddy, Sebastian Bach, who he said he hadn't talked to in thirteen years. "I was trying to save my life, and [Bach] was trying to destroy his," Rose told the crowd. Both nights, Bach took the stage screaming "You're fucking crazy!" before the two buddies, arm in arm, launched into "My Michelle."

Low points included guitarists Robin Finck and Rich Fortus delivering an unexpected yet oddly powerful dueling guitar instrumental of Christina Aguilera's "Beautiful" -- which probably only Fred Durst enjoyed. Yes, Durst was among the V.I.P. crowd, which also included Lenny Kravitz, comedian Jimmy Fallon, Goo Goo Dolls frontman Johnny Rzeznik, and actors Mickey Rourke and Shannon Elizabeth.

The most moving moment in the show was probably "November Rain," with Axl on the ivories, singing "Do you need some time on your own/ Do you need some time all alone/Everybody needs some time on their own" -- letting his lyrics speak for ten years recovering from Guns N' Roses' messy breakup. "I think we're doing pretty fuckin' all right, considering we have a guitarist that joined our band last week," quipped the frontman, referring to Bumblefoot during the song's signature intermission on Sunday night.

The weekend shows also included staples "Patience," "Sweet Child O' Mine," "You Could Be Mine," "Rocket Queen" and the encore, "Paradise City" -- with Axl coining New York his new "Paradise City." Each show ended with a shower of confetti -- a shower that, in the dim light, seemed to herald a real return for Guns N' Roses, or at least a sign that Axl is out to rock again. With Axl out of rock & roll rehab, he's no longer a notorious recluse -- just notorious.

As for one of rock & roll's most famous unreleased albums, Chinese Democracy -- the band played a few already leaked tracks, including "Madagascar," "Better" and "IRS" -- Axl had just a few words.

"In regards to our new record . . . hold your breath for a little longer for that," he said. "I want to thank you for that."

No problem, Axl. Lighters up: "Everybody needs some time . . . on their own."

CHARLEY ROGULEWSKI
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 05:48:47 PM »

Now *that* was a decent article.? Much more balanced and fair to the lineup, and more focused on the simlple, undeniable fact that GnR is back.

Seems like many more celebs were in the VIP area last night then when I was there on the 12th.? It's great to see how many of today's "stars" are fans.

Plus, I dig getting the perspective of those who got to see more than one show.  Not to be greedy, I was thrilled to be there on the 12th, but I would have loved to see last night, too.  I was a little too busy being overwhelmed by the fact that GnR were just about 30 ft in front of me.

Be sure to check out the main page of the RS site to see the blown up Axl shot that's been posted on the boards already...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 05:51:12 PM by bazgnr » Logged
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 05:49:47 PM »

In regards to our new record . . . hold your breath for a little longer for that," he said

What does it mean? Huh

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
wink
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 05:50:00 PM »

""George Chin/WireImage""

so, George Chin, is the official photographer.
BLS-Pride
Jack Daniel's drinkin'
Banned
Legend

Roses of Velvet Mother Fuckers.

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 05:50:48 PM »

Yeah pretty good read. Shannon Elizabeth is one hot piece.

www.rosesofvelvet.com
[BLS-Pride] 10:16 pm: ron - lemmy is god.. agreed?
[Bumblefoot] 10:16 pm: Lemmy created God.
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 05:50:54 PM »

George Chin took some photos of us at the front of the line on Friday night.  Cool guy.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
AxlFink
VIP

thelesserkings.com

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 05:51:12 PM »

best review in years!!!!!!! cant wait til wed!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006, 05:52:44 PM »

Thanks for posting the article Bazgnr! Good review. Smiley

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2006, 05:53:08 PM »

In regards to our new record . . . hold your breath for a little longer for that," he said

What does it mean? Huh

NME quoted that way differently

You mean the Blaine reference, right? ?I assume that's why they put the "..." in there, to acknowledge that they left certain bits out. ?No idea why, of course.
SWINGTRADER
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2006, 05:53:11 PM »

Shannon Elizabeth is a GNR freak!! ? ?She loves GNR with a passion. ? ?
hammerstein2006
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2006, 05:54:38 PM »

good review, nice to see one of the few rock magazines with credibility know their stuff! ok

FINCK FAN SINCE 2001, FUCK THE FRAUDS!!!
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2006, 05:55:29 PM »

i heard it was something to the effect of....

he talked about CD and said that GnR fans can hold their breath longer than David Blanie and he appreciates that.

sounds positve to me.....like the wait is over

bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2006, 05:55:36 PM »

Thanks for posting the article Bazgnr! Good review. Smiley

I'm just happy I could bring someting to the boards that wasn't already up, you know? ?Definitely the best of the reviews I've read so far, I think.
Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2006, 05:55:59 PM »

What does it mean? Huh

Hold your breath = Be prepared to wait
Axl meant we will wait a little more...Grin

bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2006, 05:57:32 PM »

he talked about CD and said that GnR fans can hold their breath longer than David Blanie and he appreciates that.

That's what I heard as well.? The RS article makes it sound like the wait isn't quite over yet, and gives a whole different meaning to that little antecdote.? How about someone who was there last night chime in?  Was he praising fans for their patience or saying that the wait isn't quite over?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 05:59:05 PM by bazgnr » Logged
hammerstein2006
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2006, 05:57:57 PM »

What does it mean? Huh

Hold your breath = Be prepared to wait
Axl meant we will wait a little more...Grin

i can live with that. timing is everything. smoking

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2006, 06:02:29 PM »

That's what I heard as well.? The RS article makes it sound like the wait isn't quite over yet, and gives a whole different meaning to that little antecdote.? How about someone who was there last night chime in?

well that quote i typed was basically word for word from nothingman who went last night

he talked about Chinese Democracy and said we the fans can hold our breath longer than David Blaine (whoever that is)
and Axl appreciated that.

Oh and Bumble just joined a week ago, Axl said so!

The Dog
Legend

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2006, 06:03:36 PM »

Great review, exactly how I would sum up the night....it wasn't about the mistakes, or the lack of old gunners or even the new guitarist, it was about Axl returning to the rock scene with a vengeance and the crowd eating up every single second of it.  The "real" reviews shouldn't start till Rio.  Right now its just about one of the best frontmen of all time returning to give rock a major kick in the ass.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2006, 06:05:30 PM »

Great review I thought.

Well written, and unbiased, yet hopelessly hopeful for a new album just like us Tongue

At least we can count on Rolling Stone to give Axl a fair shot no matter what, and they have ever since the Warm Up shows were announced.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
hammerstein2006
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2006, 06:07:18 PM »

they basically have ever since releasing that fucked up article "where is axl rose?" in 2000.

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: