Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:30:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227811 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  NY shows review: "Guns N' Roses come up with new tracks" (newsday.com)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: NY shows review: "Guns N' Roses come up with new tracks" (newsday.com)  (Read 6003 times)
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« on: May 17, 2006, 05:56:58 PM »

Guns N' Roses come up with new tracks

BY RAFER GUZM?N
Newsday Staff Writer

May 16, 2006

The latest incarnation of Guns N' Roses played a "warm-up" show at Manhattan's filled-to-bursting Hammerstein Ballroom Sunday night, showcasing songs from the long-awaited album "Chinese Democracy" and promising - yet again - that the disc would be out soon.

The four nights at the venue - Friday, Sunday, last night and tomorrow - are being dubbed warm-up shows before the band tours the European festival circuit this summer and opens two dates for the Rolling Stones in Germany.

Axl Rose, 44, remains the only original member of Guns N' Roses. Sunday's lineup was essentially the same as in 2002, featuring bassist Tommy Stinson, drummer Brian "Brain" Mantia, guitarists Robin Finck and Richard Fortus, and keyboard players Dizzy Reed and Chris Pittman. Former guitarist Buckethead, known for wearing a KFC bucket on his head, was replaced by Ron "Bumblefoot" Thall, who played a guitar shaped like a foot with movable bees' wings.

The band kicked off with the urban anthem "Welcome to the Jungle" and played a two-hour, 15-minute show punctuated by on-stage fireworks and a roster of old favorites such as "Mr. Brownstone," "Sweet Child o' Mine" and "My Michelle," a duet with Skid Row's Sebastian Bach. Though plagued by microphone problems, Rose revealed a voice that's as powerful and piercing as ever.

The crowd, which included Lenny Kravitz sitting with friends in a private box, seemed familiar with the unreleased songs from "Chinese Democracy," many of which have leaked onto the Web. The newer numbers included a theatrical epic called "The Blues," the jagged rocker "Better" and the album's chaotic title track.

Regarding the disc, which has been in the making since the late 1990s, Rose said, "You and a whole lot of -- like you can obviously hold their breath a lot longer than David Blaine. I want to thank you."

Guns N' Roses bared its musical chops on two covers: a Satanic version of Wings' "Live and Let Die" and a soulful take on Bob Dylan's "Knockin' on Heaven's Door." Finck's solos incorporated a number of unusual tunes, from "Over the Rainbow" to Christina Aguilera's "Beautiful."

The band closed with "Paradise City" around 1:10 a.m., and Finck dove into the crowd.

GUNS N' ROSES. Back in the jungle. Hammerstein Ballroom Friday, Sunday, last night and tomorrow. Seen Sunday

Source: Newsday.com

darknemus
I lost my threads and all I got was this lousy title
Legend

A true fan - no, not that 'truefan' (where is he?)

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 06:06:40 PM »

A "satanic version" of LALD?  The only Danzig I heard was the pre-show warmup music.

-darknemus

It's not how you're thinking, or as you've imagined
To live in a shade of beliefs that were fashioned
to leave you in slavery and drain out your soul....
Minneapolisnewsman
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 06:13:49 PM »

A "satanic version" of LALD?? The only Danzig I heard was the pre-show warmup music.

-darknemus

LMFAO!!  I loved the pre-show spins, and the slight Nemus headbang that accompanied them!!  You've got a PM Dark!! beer
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 06:17:46 PM »

I liked this review because it was the only to actually notice this:

The crowd, which included Lenny Kravitz sitting with friends in a private box, seemed familiar with the unreleased songs from "Chinese Democracy," many of which have leaked onto the Web.

darknemus
I lost my threads and all I got was this lousy title
Legend

A true fan - no, not that 'truefan' (where is he?)

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 06:20:32 PM »

I think one of the most interesting thing about the shows was the celebrities in attendance.  NOT because of the fact that they are celebs.. but I've seen celebs at concerts / sporting events before.. they're usually busy doing anything BUT watching the event.  Not at the Hammerstein.  The second Axl hit the stage w/ that initial Jungle screech... they sat their with their mouths agape.. closed their phones.. stopped talking to their buddies.. and were just captivated.  It was wild to watch.

-darknemus

It's not how you're thinking, or as you've imagined
To live in a shade of beliefs that were fashioned
to leave you in slavery and drain out your soul....
Mr.Intensity
Banned
Legend

Intensity, Integrity, Intelligence

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 06:21:35 PM »

Yeah, I dont know what anyone writing a review is talking about, at least 50-70% of the crowd was cheering like crazy after the new songs....
Saul Isobel
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 06:23:45 PM »

Former guitarist Buckethead, known for wearing a KFC bucket on his head, was replaced by Ron "Bumblefoot" Thall, who played a guitar shaped like a foot with movable bees' wings.

This is what i feared. These two clowns have made a mockery of Guns with their cheesy gimmicks! Slash, Dave Navarro, Zakk Wylde and other cool guitar players must be pissing themselves! ?rofl
Mr.Intensity
Banned
Legend

Intensity, Integrity, Intelligence

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 06:28:20 PM »

Former guitarist Buckethead, known for wearing a KFC bucket on his head, was replaced by Ron "Bumblefoot" Thall, who played a guitar shaped like a foot with movable bees' wings.

This is what i feared. These two clowns have made a mockery of Guns with their cheesy gimmicks! Slash, Dave Navarro, Zakk Wylde and other cool guitar players must be pissing themselves! ?rofl

With Buckethead it's not a gimmick really.. he doesn't need the persona/character to make it, he could have done it anyway he wanted too.. he is that talented. I don't know much about Bumblefoot, but I doubt him playing a guitar that looked like a foot was what got him into Guns N Roses....

Some people might think the top hat is cheesy, some think the braids are stupid.. who cares, it's all about the music really.
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 06:28:54 PM »

I swear I heard Bumblefoot on the preshow mix tape.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Saul Isobel
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2006, 06:43:21 PM »

With Buckethead it's not a gimmick really..
LMAO Not a gimmick?Huh? wearing a fucking KFC bucket on your head with a fucking latex mask on your face is not a gimmick - what planet are you living on man? Seriously that whole persona is the worst i have EVER witnessed in a top rock band.  hihi

I don't know much about Bumblefoot, but I doubt him playing a guitar that looked like a foot was what got him into Guns N Roses....
That's not the issue here, the issue is that fucking foot shaped guitar with movable wings is absolutely RIDICULOUS. Leave that shit in storage and break out the LES PAUL'S - it's G'n'R not the fucking Monkees!
crofty
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2006, 07:37:27 PM »

hang on, I've got an mp3 of "guns n roses somewhere over the rainbow" It's most of the song in guitar form. was that Finck?? I assumed it was someone else, not guns, maybe steve vai. Fuck me that's a good track. So is it really Finck?
Jessica
aged 12 years in 12 years
Legend

Still there

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2006, 07:39:33 PM »

okays, which one of you"s" is lenny guys ? hihi hihi hihi hihi hihi

Nothing to say
badapple81
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2006, 07:43:03 PM »

Funny how some articles say that the new tracks didn't go down well.. the crowd didn't get into them etc. yet other articles rave about them and how everyone was singing along and familiar!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: