Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:49:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227819 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Did anyone miss Buckethead?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Did anyone miss Buckethead?  (Read 18148 times)
ShotgunBlues1978
« on: May 19, 2006, 12:38:17 AM »

I haven't really seen this discussed.  Personally to me, Buckethead was a highlight from the 2002 tour.  I know a lot of people didn't like his stage presence or image, but I always said fuck it, he can play the lights out.  I like Ron Thal, I thought he was very cool, and his outro on November Rain was awesome, as was the part when he got down and let the crowd play his guitar.  But the way Buckethead tore up the solos on Jungle, Nightrain, YCBM, and NR wasn't quite matched.  That said, the latest version of the band is awesome and seem like a cohesive unit, so no complaints.  But I can't lie about it I would've liked to hear Buckethead's parts on IRS and Better and his solos on the old songs
GunsN'Gravy
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 12:42:06 AM »

I miss buckethead, I enjoy his music and image more than Gn'R's. Thal is surely good, but I don't give a fuck about him really.

Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature
Lara
I Finck therefore I am
Legend

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 12:42:49 AM »

Νο.
GunnerOne 84
VIP

Welcome Back To The Jungle

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 12:44:14 AM »

i saw them at cleveland in 2002, and last night as well. I am not going to be one of those people that say buckethead sucks and all that, because bh has great guitar skills. However, no, his name didnt pop into my head once last night, they more than held their own. Maybe the guitar pyrotechnics weren't as crazy, but Ron Thal's solos fit very well in my opinion. I am very happy with the current lineup.

Nothing Lasts Forever, And We Both Know Hearts Can Change
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 12:46:57 AM »

I am very happy with the current lineup.

So am I, great lineup, and they put on an amazing show.  This isn't a knock on anyone in the band, just a praise of Buckethead, I thought his parts on the songs, new and old, really kicked ass
Agno
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2006, 12:47:10 AM »

No not at all... But his solo on Nightrain was awesome sometimes
uncleslashbob
Headliner

Smith can you bring me some tea?

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2006, 12:50:19 AM »

bucket had brilliance but he was weird,someone like ron thal i hope stays hes cool,bucket was a bit overpowering to me but he rocked its all cool thou either way..i like it now though more wit thal
manny
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 12:51:29 AM »

No not at all... But his solo on Nightrain was awesome sometimes

Yeah I was listening to the solo on nightrain form the recent shows and I kinda felt something was missing Undecided Ron seems like a cool guy, but many times during the 2002 shows I spent a lot of the time looking at bucket more than axl. It was like he was a co-attraction or something.
uncleslashbob
Headliner

Smith can you bring me some tea?

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2006, 12:52:24 AM »

don't get me wrong bucket is awsome and i truly love his work in gnr.
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2006, 12:53:32 AM »

I like Bucket's playing a lot more than Thal......but it seemed that this version of GNR clicked a whole lot better so if this keeps working.......hell yeah I'm all for it.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2006, 12:56:06 AM »

Ron Thal is cool with me, no gripes.  Buckethead is gone and never coming back, Ron Thal did a great job stepping in especially since he only had one week's rehearsal and was still kicking ass on both new and old songs, so credit to him.  He also seems like a hell of a guy and has been very kind to the fans, which is also a great thing to see.  I have no complaints about Ron Thal, I think he's a near perfect choice both with his chops and his attitude and demeanor.  I'm just saying that Buckethead was the man, and I really enjoyed seeing him play with GnR when he was in the band   peace
F*ck Fear
VIP

Getcha Pull!

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2006, 01:02:00 AM »

His skills yes. But seeing as Ron is very skilled player as well,and has an image is cooler than Bucket. Plus Ron seems like a very nice guy and very approchable,which is good for this band.

11/29/2002 Toronto Canada
11/15/2006 Toronto Canada
01/24/2010 Hamilton Canada
11/28/2011 Hamilton Canada
07/15/2013 Toronto Canada
Crashdiet
Banned
VIP

'Absolutely'

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2006, 01:02:14 AM »

I'm so glad buckethead is gone.

THe new line up looks rock n roll, act like they are a tight band that are close and friends. The whole circus theme that sumed up the 2002 tour is over. These guys mean serious busniess.

Check out www.myspace.com/ashjonesmusic
Its me and my songs

Saskatoon, Sask Place March 16 1993

New York, Hammerstein Ballroom
May 12, 14, 15, 17
Mr.Intensity
Banned
Legend

Intensity, Integrity, Intelligence

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2006, 01:06:03 AM »

I love Buckethead, but it's quite possible he just didn't fit the mold for gnr... the guys look happier this time around.
ashlar
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2006, 01:09:08 AM »

im glad buckethead is gone. thal seems to be competant. he is an individual without being insane.
RoCoKiN
VIP

I am The Shackler in the Rye with Diamonds!!

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2006, 01:11:58 AM »

I like that the band look like a bunch of rockers now, not a circus side show.? ?With all due respect to Bucket and his talent,  the band seems more like a unit now.

'...Oh, my distorted smile...'
bigbri
VIP

"I come in peace."

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2006, 01:22:05 AM »

can't really say one way or the other, considering I haven't heard or seen anything quite yet (bootleg is downloading beer), but one look at my avatar, and I get most of you could geuss how I'm gonna feel. Bucket really offered some very, very cool solos on the old stuff. Overall, I'd say, yes, I miss him, because GNR and Bucket are my 2 favorite artists. And having them together is a bonus for me. But, I'm sure the current guys are more than capable.

killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2006, 01:37:08 AM »

I missed Bucket alot. My interest in the players was reduced by his absence, not to say that there wasn't other things to focus on.

I think Robin definately stood out these nights though; perhaps that was the source of the friction.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Chief
Legend

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2006, 01:42:56 AM »

I definitely missed Buckethead.  He is just so amazing, i wish he was around to show us more of what he could do in Guns.  It was sweet while it lasted and i also hope that at least some of the stuff on record that he has done remains.

I think Ron will be great in the band though, he impressed me even though he wasn't quite comfortable out there and he should add quite a lot to Guns.  I love how he is so nice and friendly to the fans and of course his image will fit a lot better in the band for the public at large...

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
W 23 AXL II
VIP

I like A minor more so than C major

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2006, 01:45:13 AM »

i was in CT and NYC in 2002, and friday and sunday night this past week.

the answer is, YES I DID MISS BUCKETHEAD....but, it wasn't a make or break deal..its about axl. BH was a cool side show. i think they should go with 2 guitarists, robin n fortus seem ultra loyal and very dedicated. they dont need another guitarist, especially with dizzy playing guitar if they let him, and 2 keyboards!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: