Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 09:08:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228060 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Dear Axl - From an Old Fan
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dear Axl - From an Old Fan  (Read 15982 times)
Death Cube K
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2006, 12:25:20 PM »

Then quit replying to them

I love one-post wonders.
KILLYOURIDOL
Banned
Opening Act

This site is filled with Axl nuthuggers

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2006, 12:27:04 PM »

If you don't support the new band, fine. But it seems like topics like this pop up all the time by newbies. Maybe we could just have a "NU-GN'R sucks" sticky in the dead horse section.

A new band should go by a new name and stop bastardizing OLD music. I fully support the fact that this is a new band but when 85% of your set list is old songs and you use an old name you open yourself up to these kinds of discussions.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2006, 12:31:33 PM »

The new band sounds awesome.

The audio was off last night, had something to do with the stream. Anybody can tell that if you hear a bass guitar or a keyboard louder then then lead singer, something is being delivered incorrectly, and obviously isn't the band.

SLCPUNK
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2006, 12:32:53 PM »

If you don't support the new band, fine. But it seems like topics like this pop up all the time by newbies. Maybe we could just have a "NU-GN'R sucks" sticky in the dead horse section.

A new band should go by a new name and stop bastardizing OLD music. I fully support the fact that this is a new band but when 85% of your set list is old songs and you use an old name you open yourself up to these kinds of discussions.

Even if they have 3 new albums out, you can bet that they will be playing these songs.

Every band plays their hits and then a few news ones of their current album.

Death Cube K
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2006, 12:33:27 PM »

Im sorry, but you are 6 years too late in trying to get me into this discussion.
RichardNixon
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2006, 12:34:25 PM »

Once the new album(s) are out, it will be more even.
KILLYOURIDOL
Banned
Opening Act

This site is filled with Axl nuthuggers

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2006, 12:36:29 PM »

Once the new album(s) are out, it will be more even.

only been hearing that for 11 yrs now
Mr.Bootlegs
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2006, 12:40:10 PM »

I agree with the starter of this thread 100%.
But i am taking comfort in the fact that we have probably heard half of Chinese Democracy already, and fellow gnr fans, in aint no appetite, lies, or illusions SO FAR.

And i will love the day when this album is released and everyone realises that although there may be some good songs, it's not going to be remembered as a classic album, it won't be on anyone's top 100 list, and you all are going to be left wondering why you cared in the first place.
Bash away fuckers, but come this fall everyone will see this 'band' for what it is.
Lara
I Finck therefore I am
Legend

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2006, 12:46:47 PM »

But i am taking comfort in the fact that we have probably heard half of Chinese Democracy already, and fellow gnr fans, in aint no appetite, lies, or illusions SO FAR.

And i will love the day when this album is released and everyone realises that although there may be some good songs, it's not going to be remembered as a classic album, it won't be on anyone's top 100 list, and you all are going to be left wondering why you cared in the first place.
Bash away fuckers, but come this fall everyone will see this 'band' for what it is.

Guess we'll have to wait and see...  rant
Mandy.
Bitch Queen
Legend

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2006, 12:49:11 PM »

Ahh man. I hope Axl reads this. He'll have a good laugh. ?Grin

They can't please everyone. So what if you don't like them? Thousands of other people don't either! Join the queue, mate. But you are completely overreacting - "Your voice is a shell of what it once was and this 3 headed guitar monster you think you have does not work at all." Please, get a grip.

Now, do stop moaning.
knut
Who needs custom titles anyway?
Headliner

« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2006, 12:52:02 PM »

I listened to the RIO broadcast last night and all it came off to me as was a horrible cover band butchering classics. Please fold the tent up and go back into the hole you hid in for the last 11yrs. Your voice is a shell of what it once was and this 3 headed guitar monster you think you have does not work at all. I know alot of people kiss your ass and can't come to grips with the fact that not everything you do is good but as a GnR fan from the beginning I must tell you that you are on the verge of destroying GnRs legacy. The AFD songs are lifeless live. Maybe it's because this band didn't write them or maybe it just because they can't play them they way REAL GnR fans expect them to be played. Whatever the case if you must go on using the GnR brand please stop playing any "OLD" GnR songs. You've had 13 yrs to write new music and it's been 17yrs since the interview where you said you wanted to "Bury Appetite" well last night you sure buried it cause I couldn't tell what the hell was going on out there. Song after song I tried to explain to my wife and daughter that this wasn't the band I was so obsessed with that I still went out the day the illusions albums came out even though earlier in that day I was jumped and spent hours getting stitched up and was told I may lose my sight. Thinking only I have to get UYI's. Explaining the raw power and energy of my first GnR show at MSG where as a 14 yr I was almost in tears as I screamed along to every word that came out of your mouth. I know almost 90% of this board agrees with every move you make, hell they even try to dignify the length of time its taken you to write some so-so songs. Axl you will never have the world at the palm of your hand the way you once did and I will never have my favorite band of all time again. So I will continue to listen to AFD,Lies,UYI I & II  they way it was intended with Slash Duff & Izzy but as far as this new GnR I will not be a fan of it.  crying  Cry no

Now go ahead and rip me a new one and tell I shouldn't be on this board but keep in mind this is a GnR board and I'm a Huge GnR fan.....just not this GnR
Booooooring..... You suck.

bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2006, 12:53:07 PM »

Wow.  I though "Nightrain" was spectacular, and that all the Appetite songs held up quite well.  Personally, I'm thrilled with the current lineup.  They *are* GnR.
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2006, 12:55:35 PM »

I don't know what your priorities are, but I just want an album that I enjoy listening to; one that I don't get easily tired of and one that I can pull out every few months and enjoy again.  Classic status or whatever you want to call is determined by pompous pontificators trying to justify their employment at some music rag. I really don't care if critics want to deem this album a historic piece of writing or not; we won't know it until years after its release and by then we will have formed our own opinion of its worth. Enjoy the music, enjoy the shows, and be happy this is not 1997 or 2003 again.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
shaun
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2006, 01:01:19 PM »

YouTube:

Nightrain - AFD Era:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9ckPD5VfrM&search=roses%20nightrain
Raw Power. Makes the UYI GnR sound bloated and tired...

Nightrain - UYI Era:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO7emHNVkQ8&search=guns%20roses%20night%20train
Slash sounds off and Matt Sorum seems slow compared to Brain  hihi

Nightrain - RIR3 Era (feat.Buckethead)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHcLJ2A1QHM&search=guns%20roses%20night%20train
Buckethead and Brain rule  ok

Nightrain - RIR5 Era (feat.Bumblefoot)
- where's the link  Huh

compare  Grin
The AFD era was the best, although the new GnR sound better than the UYI era...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 01:04:23 PM by D0badog » Logged
bumblerocks
Banned
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2006, 01:02:57 PM »

YouTube:

Nightrain - AFD Era:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9ckPD5VfrM&search=roses%20nightrain
Raw Power? beer makes the UYI GnR sound blaoted and tired...

Nightrain - UYI Era:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO7emHNVkQ8&search=guns%20roses%20night%20train
Slash's sounds abit off and Matt Sorum seems slow compared to Brain? hihi

Nightrain - RIR3 Era (feat.Buckethead)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHcLJ2A1QHM&search=guns%20roses%20night%20train
Buckethead and Brain rule? ok

Nightrain - RIR5 Era (feat.Bumblefoot)
- where's the link? Huh

compare? Grin

The AFD era was the best, although the new GnR sound better than the UYI period...

someone get the fucking link up and show him!! Grin
Bravefish
Rocker

Live and Let Die

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2006, 01:05:59 PM »

Have to say that the post was strong but in some respects I agree. TWAT is the only song i take to at the moment from new GNR, Fortus is a legend, and Bubmble apart from the gameboy solo at the start of his solo is immense. Robin always seems like he's playing the wrong note but that is just my ears that need to get used to it!!!

The songs are nowhere near as good as old GNR, they never will be u need slash for that to get the sound, but in their own right they are good, and still leagues above any band out there at the moment

Fish
monkeychow
VIP

How's that for provocation?

« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2006, 01:10:58 PM »

I worry that when the new album comes out all the music will be lost in the polarisation of like UYI vs CD or AFD vs CD LIES vs CD , CD vs SPI and all the rest of it.

Its bad enough now that every so often someone goes "YUI is full of crap only AFD rocks" then a bunch of others refute it or agree and its on for young and old.

So its kinda fucked either way now - if CD sucked (which it wont IMHO) then we'll all be disapointed, and worse, people will think the new band and new material tarnishes the reputation of the old band and albums OR if its another masterpiece - then we can all fight forever about which albums are better and which is the real GNR etc (this will especially happen if the current line up was to release 2-3 albums).

For my part - i would have prefered that the current GNR line-up was playing less of the old material. Firstly cos i love the old songs to death - but new songs offer so much more in that its something cool i dont know yet. But mostly its because -axl+dizzy aside - the old songs are not written by this band - so from the point of the musicians they are covers. And its not that they play them worse or better or anything to me. Its just kinda like - the guitar solos on AFD we're written by slash for slash and its weird to have someone else play them. Likewise i find it weird when Scott from VR sings the occasional GNR tune - those parts were written for Axl (and by Axl/Axl+izzy/whomever for each song)!!!

So i mean in a perfect world for me - it'd be like a huge show where  VR would play all their own new songs - then the current GNR line up would play all the CD songs - then we'd have a big reunion love in at the end where the old band played the orginal songs. Oh yeah and there would be lots of strippers and free beer. LOL. Anyway...i mean its not going to happen that way!

Anyway i'll try and resume the topic - I do agree to the extent that i think the new band are far better at playing their own songs than they are at interpreting the AFD songs. Which isnt to say they suck on AFD songs - its more that i'm saying they rock on CD songs all the harder!! Or perhaps its just that i'm more interested in the new songs. So i'd like to see Axl and co focus more on the future and less on the past...

BUT

I'm also a realist and the relaity is - the casual fan expects the hits at a gig of a famous band. Like people want the  songs they grew up with - if they didn't play WTTJ, SCOM and PC people would get upset. So basicly they have to do that stuff, and then we also get some new songs. Its how all the huge bands work I think.

I guess that could have been solved if Axl had droped the GNR name. Like if this band was called like AXL ROSE or something - then they could do a show of 90% new material and like 2-3 old songs just for a but of a crowed pleaser.  (This is the approach VR take - its like 90% contraband then a couple of STP or GNR songs mixed in) and get away with it....but he kept the name, which makes commercial sence amongst other things...and so if your going to call yourself GNR - you gotta play the old songs.....so they do.

Anyway I say peace to all. The old band were gods and live as such forever in my memory. The new bands new songs really hit me and inspire me too - and I look forward to a great album. I say again - one doesn't have to suck in order for the other to be good - they can co exist!!

Sorry for the long and rambling post everyone!

AxlFink
VIP

thelesserkings.com

« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2006, 01:13:25 PM »

omg and i thought the post about fortus and bumblefoot replacing fink was the dumbest post ever!
dk
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2006, 01:13:38 PM »

Please fold the tent up and go back into the hole you hid in for the last 11yrs.

Wouldnt it be easier for u to just stop listening?

Everyone has their opinion, but it would suck to be u.
shaun
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2006, 01:18:48 PM »

I guess that could have been solved if Axl had droped the GNR name. Like if this band was called like AXL ROSE or something - then they could do a show of 90% new material and like 2-3 old songs just for a but of a crowed pleaser.  (This is the approach VR take - its like 90% contraband then a couple of STP or GNR songs mixed in) and get away with it....but he kept the name, which makes commercial sence amongst other things...and so if your going to call yourself GNR - you gotta play the old songs.....so they do.

Sorry for the long and rambling post everyone!

New York Roses would have been a good name. Doubt it would have attracted as much attention as the name Guns n'Roses though  hihi
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: