Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:32:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Last Film You Saw.
Pages: 1 ... 318 319 [320] 321 322 ... 336 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Last Film You Saw.  (Read 565841 times)
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #6380 on: July 23, 2012, 07:45:32 PM »

I absolutely loved The Dark Knight Rises. It was a fantastic ending to the trilogy.
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #6381 on: July 24, 2012, 07:21:52 AM »

The Dark Knight Rises was a perfect ending to the perfect comic book movie series. Fantastic performances from everyone involved, from the major character to the bit parts, especially when it comes to Anne Hathaway, Christian Bale and Michael Caine. A story that really ramps up the tension... for the first time in a comic book movie, you're not sure that the hero can win. People were skeptical that any threat to Gotham could surpass the threat that the Joker represented in the previous movie, but by combining elements from The Dark Knight Returns, Knightfall and No Man's Land, they managed to convey the greatest threat the city has ever (and probably will ever) face. And an ending that draws a definite close to the story, and is simultaneously heartbreaking and hopeful.

When people defend the next moronic action movie with, "It's just a bit of fun. People go to see things explode, that's all", you can point them right to The Dark Knight Rises in which you get a genuinely great movie in every way... and stuff explodes, too!

There's one character that plays a pretty large role in the film, and ends up being even more vital than you realise that I think should have been a comic book character, and not an original creation. But that's it. That's the only complaint I have. At the moment I'm of the opinion that this is the greatest Batman story ever told. There are a few comic book story's that give it a good run for its money like The Long Halloween, Hush, and Grant Morrison's still ongoing epic (which began with Batman & Son, and ran through The Black Glove, R.I.P., some of Final Crisis, the first 16 issues of Batman And Robin, The Return Of Bruce Wayne, and is ending with Batman Incorporated)... but it seems that in Christoper and Jonathan Nolan we may have the greatest Batman writers in history.

Hopefully this won't be snubbed at the Oscars like The Dark Knight was.
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #6382 on: July 24, 2012, 08:07:27 AM »

There is no way this is probably even nominated after the Colorado incident.

libertad
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #6383 on: July 24, 2012, 09:02:38 AM »

I would hope that the Academy aren't stupid enough to blame a movie for something like that.
Annie
« Reply #6384 on: July 24, 2012, 02:26:44 PM »

I would hope that the Academy aren't stupid enough to blame a movie for something like that.
Me too. BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD will certainly get a nomination. It's a very good art film about a little girl named Hushpuppy who lived in the Bathtub with her Daddy. Bathtub is a very poor section of the Southern bayou.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 02:29:17 PM by Lumen » Logged
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #6385 on: July 24, 2012, 03:31:37 PM »

There is no way this is probably even nominated after the Colorado incident.

I have actually been reading the opposite.  A lot of writers and critics think its almost a GUARANTEED nomination since the Colorado incident.  We will have to see what happens.  Remember it was the Dark Knight snub in 2009 that made the Oscars change their 5 nominee policy to 10.
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #6386 on: July 24, 2012, 04:29:00 PM »

The Dark Knight Rises - Wow, what a film. Great script, well acted, and the ending was great! I never ever though Catwoman would ever work in a Batman film, but here it works perfectly.
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #6387 on: July 24, 2012, 07:27:38 PM »

Ted - stupid

on a side note:  the quality of bootlegs has really improved.  ok  Lips Sealed

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #6388 on: July 25, 2012, 12:20:30 AM »

Christian Bale flew to Colorado today to visit victims in the hospital...All class that guy is...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/24/christian-bale-aurora-victims-shooting-dark-knight_n_1699662.html
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #6389 on: July 25, 2012, 06:10:17 AM »

I've gone more in-depth with my thought on The Dark Knight Rises here... http://axlreznor-ramblings.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/more-dark-knight-rises-only-for-people.html

It contains major spoilers, so I'm not going to post it on here. I promise I'm not just trying to generate more traffic for the blog. Wink
Nightrained
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #6390 on: July 25, 2012, 06:42:14 PM »

Just watched The Dark Knight Rises and it was great.

I know it's just a film, but even for a comic book hero adaptation it asks you what you forgive to be believable in a film like this, and what you don't.

**spoilers**

Things that never sat well with me...

- Bruce fractured his back in the fight with Bane. He begins his recovery but falls several times trying to climb out, the rope alone with his own body weight would probably have done further damage than what bane did even without his previous injury. yet Bruce was uneffected by this. The injuries he has would have lasted months surpassing the time frame that he was in there for to fully recover.

- Auto pilot? Did he fix it? he was still in the cabin the final minute, right? If he got out, would he have gotten away from the 6 miles blast radius/tidal wave? would he not have been effected by the fallout trying to make it back to land?

- Bane detonating the city on a switch. All these bridges would have had the explosives set up, with busy traffic crossing them, perhaps bane's army disguised themselves as workmen but in other parts of the city the amount of det cord used would have raised alarms to someone. It's just not believable. Also were all the explosions linked together? It is implied that it is, potentially laying miles of det cord, which will ignite in less than a second, but the labour of it being carried out and not seen by anyone in a city is crazy. Nothing major i guess but just an excuse to a cool looking scene.

- Batman making his sign on the bridge, if he was rushed into getting to the city to get the bomb would he honestly say "hey i'm here by the way" and spend a great amount of time somehow not being seen by bane's army guarding the bridge and setting up lighter fluid into the shape of his batwings. Again it's a cool scene, but when time is running out, it's just plane ridiculous to waste your time.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the film and there are not many trilogy's where each film can live up to each other, so the whole series is spot on. I enjoyed Bane as a villain more so than The Joker. Might be me being biased as I think Tom Hardy is a great actor as he was one hard bastard in this film.  Although I wish Bane had more on screen fight scenes. I don't know if nolan is into extended cuts of his films but this would be good to see, I feel as though a lot of stuff was cut down, and things never explained for timing reasons.

Annie
« Reply #6391 on: July 26, 2012, 10:03:32 AM »

Just watched The Dark Knight Rises and it was great.

I know it's just a film, but even for a comic book hero adaptation it asks you what you forgive to be believable in a film like this, and what you don't.

**spoilers**

- Bruce fractured his back in the fight with Bane. He begins his recovery but falls several times trying to climb out, the rope alone with his own body weight would probably have done further damage than what bane did even without his previous injury. yet Bruce was uneffected by this. The injuries he has would have lasted months surpassing the time frame that he was in there for to fully recover.

- Auto pilot? Did he fix it? he was still in the cabin the final minute, right? If he got out, would he have gotten away from the 6 miles blast radius/tidal wave? would he not have been effected by the fallout trying to make it back to land?

- Bane detonating the city on a switch. All these bridges would have had the explosives set up, with busy traffic crossing them, perhaps bane's army disguised themselves as workmen but in other parts of the city the amount of det cord used would have raised alarms to someone. It's just not believable. Also were all the explosions linked together? It is implied that it is, potentially laying miles of det cord, which will ignite in less than a second, but the labour of it being carried out and not seen by anyone in a city is crazy. Nothing major i guess but just an excuse to a cool looking scene.

- Batman making his sign on the bridge, if he was rushed into getting to the city to get the bomb would he honestly say "hey i'm here by the way" and spend a great amount of time somehow not being seen by bane's army guarding the bridge and setting up lighter fluid into the shape of his batwings. Again it's a cool scene, but when time is running out, it's just plane ridiculous to waste your time.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the film and there are not many trilogy's where each film can live up to each other, so the whole series is spot on. I enjoyed Bane as a villain more so than The Joker. Might be me being biased as I think Tom Hardy is a great actor as he was one hard bastard in this film.  Although I wish Bane had more on screen fight scenes. I don't know if nolan is into extended cuts of his films but this would be good to see, I feel as though a lot of stuff was cut down, and things never explained for timing reasons.

You make some good points. Bane was a great villain. It was so powerful when he cried in his devotion to the real mastermind. Did you notice all the French revolution symbolish. Bane was knitting something like Mdame LaFarge.
Annie
« Reply #6392 on: July 26, 2012, 10:04:21 AM »

Christian Bale flew to Colorado today to visit victims in the hospital...All class that guy is...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/24/christian-bale-aurora-victims-shooting-dark-knight_n_1699662.html
This totally made me cry yesterday. That was so kind and so sincere of him. ok
Nightrained
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #6393 on: July 26, 2012, 03:20:18 PM »

Act of Valor.

A film for fans of Black Ops and Modern Warfare series. Acting isn't great but the action sequences are top class, not much of a story but more of film giving respect for the navy seals.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #6394 on: July 27, 2012, 11:39:44 AM »

BATMAN SPOILERS AHEAD

Good comments, I thought some of the same stuff,  I can send some light on some of them although it is afterall a comic movie so you have to suspend disbelief.

Bruce Wayne was in that hole for about 5 months, which could have been enough time to recover, we dont know how bad his injury from bane was.

They  made it clear he did fix the auto pilot, whether or not he could have gotten out of the blast range who knows.  He is Batman, there could have been a piece of that plane that broke off into some type or water riding device or he could have parachuted off that thing while he was still over land.

As far as blowing the city up with the switch that is the easiest part to believe, as Bane had infiltrated the entire city, and had thousands of Daggets  construction workers setting up bombs around the city.

The fiery Batman logo was meant to "inspire" which is what the whole series is about.  It was to inspire the city of gotham in its all out assault on Bane.  Remember Matthew Modine's character didn't come out of hiding until he saw the Bat logo on fire.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #6395 on: July 27, 2012, 12:47:05 PM »

The Dark Knight Rises was a perfect ending to the perfect comic book movie series. Fantastic performances from everyone involved, from the major character to the bit parts, especially when it comes to Anne Hathaway, Christian Bale and Michael Caine. A story that really ramps up the tension... for the first time in a comic book movie, you're not sure that the hero can win. People were skeptical that any threat to Gotham could surpass the threat that the Joker represented in the previous movie, but by combining elements from The Dark Knight Returns, Knightfall and No Man's Land, they managed to convey the greatest threat the city has ever (and probably will ever) face. And an ending that draws a definite close to the story, and is simultaneously heartbreaking and hopeful.

When people defend the next moronic action movie with, "It's just a bit of fun. People go to see things explode, that's all", you can point them right to The Dark Knight Rises in which you get a genuinely great movie in every way... and stuff explodes, too!

There's one character that plays a pretty large role in the film, and ends up being even more vital than you realise that I think should have been a comic book character, and not an original creation. But that's it. That's the only complaint I have. At the moment I'm of the opinion that this is the greatest Batman story ever told. There are a few comic book story's that give it a good run for its money like The Long Halloween, Hush, and Grant Morrison's still ongoing epic (which began with Batman & Son, and ran through The Black Glove, R.I.P., some of Final Crisis, the first 16 issues of Batman And Robin, The Return Of Bruce Wayne, and is ending with Batman Incorporated)... but it seems that in Christoper and Jonathan Nolan we may have the greatest Batman writers in history.

Hopefully this won't be snubbed at the Oscars like The Dark Knight was.

Agreed.  This was a stunning film.  I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of the No Man's Land arc when Bane took over the city!  I agree that overall this is the greatest Batman arc ever told.  However, I would have loved to see Christopher Nolan adapt The Long Halloween into a movie.  That could have been amazing.

Ali
Sober_times
VIP

The Proud Winner of a Wooden Spoon.

« Reply #6396 on: August 03, 2012, 02:45:59 PM »

Watched the Dark Knight rises.

Spoiler***

I liked it however I was disappointed at how predictable it was. I predicted  the "twists" at the end pretty quickly so that part was annoying. Once i realized she was Talia, which I did pretty quickly into the movie, it was easy to predict bane was her henchmen and he was the one who climbed out. So that was disappointing. I though it was robin about half way through the movie and than confirmed when he was leaving the night wings everywhere. I liked Bane but his mystique and character change for the worse when you realize he was pretty much just a goon for Talia.

I still liked it a lot. It was cool to have a bookend to the franchise that is actually a pretty good movie. If you change a few things this movie could of easily existed without The Dark Knight, and I like that because how much Joker played a part in that one and how different it felt than Begins or Rises.

CM Punk is the Best in the World!

I dig crazy chicks like AJ!

HBK is the greatest wrestler of all time!

I miss Edge!

Thats it, thats all I have to say.

P.S. Cena Sucks!
IzzyDutch
VIP

Here Today... Fuck The Hell

« Reply #6397 on: August 05, 2012, 12:33:39 PM »

Saw TDKR last friday, wow what an awesome movie! Nearly three hours and I don't remember any people talking or making noises, signs of boredom. The movie keeps you focussed all the time, best of the last three I'd say Cool
Annie
« Reply #6398 on: August 07, 2012, 02:59:05 PM »

BRAVE. I really liked the story and the message.  Rock of AGES for the 4th time. I'm really sad this movie bombed, I love it. A CAT IN PARIS  totally awesome French animated film!

TED!!! I LOVED this movie. I laughed and I cried. TED is my new crush! hihi THUNDER BUDDIES FOR LIFE!!!!!

Boogie Nights,  a little dark and depressing but Dirk Diggler was very likeable. Mark Wahlburg has not aged. He is just as gorgeous now as when he made that movie!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 03:11:19 PM by Lumen » Logged
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #6399 on: August 08, 2012, 11:00:39 AM »

Watched the Dark Knight rises.

Spoiler***

I liked it however I was disappointed at how predictable it was. I predicted  the "twists" at the end pretty quickly so that part was annoying. Once i realized she was Talia, which I did pretty quickly into the movie, it was easy to predict bane was her henchmen and he was the one who climbed out. So that was disappointing. I though it was robin about half way through the movie and than confirmed when he was leaving the night wings everywhere. I liked Bane but his mystique and character change for the worse when you realize he was pretty much just a goon for Talia.

I still liked it a lot. It was cool to have a bookend to the franchise that is actually a pretty good movie. If you change a few things this movie could of easily existed without The Dark Knight, and I like that because how much Joker played a part in that one and how different it felt than Begins or Rises.

Top 15 plot-holes/annoying aspects of the movie: http://www.slashfilm.com/15-bothered-the-dark-knight-rises/

Presumed Innocent - Now THIS is a fuckin' movie. Harrison Ford is accused of murdering his mistress -- more twists and turns than you can keep track of; kinda' reminded me of Hitchcock's Vertigo.

Crimes and Misdemeanors - Martin Landau pays his shady brother (Jerry Orbach) to kill his increasingly tiresome mistress (Angelica Huston) -- razor-sharp script and wonderfully shot; fuckin' dope.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 11:24:12 AM by AxlsMainMan » Logged

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Pages: 1 ... 318 319 [320] 321 322 ... 336 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: