Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:42:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227819 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  Writer's Block
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Writer's Block  (Read 1823 times)
robinfinckfan
« on: September 19, 2006, 04:52:22 PM »

I was recording original material at decent pace for the most part between 02'-06' ( about 25 originals)In March I recorded my last track and haven't recorded since. I'm just drawing blanks, can't write, not coming up with any ideas, can't get in a comfortable mental place to really come up with some good material. I've tried just sitting down with my acoustic, playing a beat and riffing off it, all kinds of shit and with no avail.

So I'm just wandering if anyone else has had this problem and what you did to get over it/ if you got over it.

I got some tunes I can post for anyone that wants to hear any. more agressive rock. manson/zombie..esque
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 06:27:12 PM »

I was recording original material at decent pace for the most part between 02'-06' ( about 25 originals)In March I recorded my last track and haven't recorded since. I'm just drawing blanks, can't write, not coming up with any ideas, can't get in a comfortable mental place to really come up with some good material. I've tried just sitting down with my acoustic, playing a beat and riffing off it, all kinds of shit and with no avail.

So I'm just wandering if anyone else has had this problem and what you did to get over it/ if you got over it.

I got some tunes I can post for anyone that wants to hear any. more agressive rock. manson/zombie..esque

maybe your feeling uninspired and need something new and fresh to kick off the emotions?

html sucks
WhatIsItMan
VIP

What IS it Man?!

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 06:46:59 PM »

Like a doob?  ha ha ha ha ha    Cool  smoking  peace

IzzyDutch
VIP

Here Today... Fuck The Hell

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 03:11:00 PM »

http://www.geocities.com/abexile/keithintgpl.htm

Keith Richards view on songwriting and 'writerblocks':

Do your songs typically begin when you find a riff?

Mm hmm. First I find a riff and a chord sequence. And if that's any good, then I start to play it with some other guys and pump it up. If that's great, then I check the attitude and the atmosphere of the track. What the hell is this putting out? There's no point in writing songs on a sheet of paper, going verse, chorus, verse, chorus, and regarding this as a song. No, it ain't. A song is music, and I'd rather start with the music and then get into the attitude of the track and put something on top of it. What are you going to put on top of it, because you could have spent months writing? I can't divorce lyrics from the music. Songwriting is a marrying of the both. To me, the easiest way is to get the track. I mean, the odd brilliant and rare occasions where a song actually presents itself to you in totality from the beginning to the end, with the bridge and the hook, is very rare.

Was "Gimme Shelter" one of those?

Yeah, "Satisfaction" was one of those, "Make No Mistake" was one of those. Those three - and that's about it - actually presented themselves in totality.

It must have been a stunning experience.

It is, but at the same time it's humbling, because you realize, "Hey, I didn't write this. I just happened to be around when it came by." People today run themselves into a corner thinking they actually created these things. I'd rather look upon myself as an antenna or some go-between. I'm just around. Songs are running around - they're all there, ready to grab. You play an instrument and pick it up. What I generally do is like, "Fingers are getting a bit soft right now. I'll go through the Buddy Holly songbook"- because I love Buddy's songs. Then I start playing 'em for half an hour. [Sings "Maybe Baby.'] "Let's try Eddie Cochrane or the Everly Brothers or a little Chuck." And after about an hour, I get fed up with other people's songs, and there's something that I'm playing of theirs that suggests something else to me, and I'll start to follow that. It'll either end up as a song or it'll end up as a disaster, and I'll get bored with it. It doesn't bother me. I never sit down and say, "Time to write a song. Now I'm going to write." To me, that would be fatal. I know other guys work in other ways. There's no one system to this. It's what's right for you. But me, I always like to sit down and play the guitar a couple of hours a day, and something will come. If something interests me, then I think, "Hey, there it is," and then I hang on to the end and follow the motherfucker. To me the important thing is recognizing something when it comes by.

The idea that you create it, again, is alien and can also fuck you up, because then it's all on your back, whether you've written something or not there. Treat it in a lighter way and say, "This is what I do." If you can write one song, you can write 900. They're there. Your method of going about that - you can either try and regiment it, make it a task, or you can make it part of your everyday life and just sit around and play and not think about writing. Play anything you want.

There's only one song in the world, and Adam and Eve wrote it. And the rest of them's variations. I'm the antenna. You just stick your finger in the air and you grab a bit of it and you go off. And that's the way to avoid writer's block, because that's what happens to people that think they actually create things. Nobody creates anything. It's there, and you just fucking grab a hold of it.

http://www.geocities.com/abexile/musician.htm

After all these years, is it getting harder to find fresh ideas?

It's easier. I don't force them now. I used to, but I realized a long time ago that you don't write songs, you receive them. I'll start off by sitting down and playing any thing. I'll attempt a bit of Mozart at the piano, or I'll play a bit of Otis Redding o some Buddy Holly stuff. Within twenty minutes or half an hour, there's something else coming, and I'm following that, playing around with it. Some days it don' come, so I'll just carry on with the Otis Redding songbook [laughs]. It's a matter of recognition: [ducks imaginary hand grenade] "Incoming!" All you've got to do is formulate it a little and transmit it. People are too serious about writing. The writer's block theory is crap: That's only because you think you write your own songs in the first place. You think you're God and you create this masterpiece. No, you just receive and transmit. That way, you don't get into this idea of "What am I gonna write?" A lot of it is accidents: You hit a chord and you can think either 'that's wrong" or "that's interesting."

robinfinckfan
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 04:43:22 PM »

^
Very interesting read and thanks alot for posting it. I see what Keef is sayin but maybe I am pressing myself abit to much. Songs came real easy for me for awhile and then I just hit a wall. So I have backed away from trying to do more and just playing the guitar and doing that. I love Izzy's main riff on 14 years and can usually go off on that ( just example) and can improv alot on that riff because it's basic and I'm just really strugglin right now.

So maybe I'll try that i'm just the antenna and just kinda go with the flow and see what happens.  ok
gun
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 05:25:08 PM »

Try setting a "tone".  Light some candles, use a blacklight, play a different type of song than you usually listen to, watch a channel you never watch or read a book that isn't usually one you would pick up.  These things can really help.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: