Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 09:32:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227788 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Annoying thing about Bumblefoot
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Annoying thing about Bumblefoot  (Read 40520 times)
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #120 on: July 01, 2006, 03:18:45 PM »

Ron has done an adequete job, essentially playing other people's music. I haven't had the slightest interest in his solo section unfortunately. Even the Don't Cry melody lacks the delicacy of the original. Just not digging it. I don't mind if he is standing in but long term I would like to see either Robin and Richard take over his parts or the return of Buckethead.  B attracted my attention like no other band member, save Axl. He was precise, lightning fast when needed, and always a fun albeit bizarre stage presence. 

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Bravefish
Rocker

Live and Let Die

« Reply #121 on: July 01, 2006, 06:08:00 PM »

Axl hasnt hired him to change every song that would not go down well with GNR fans anywhere. But he adds his own spin on everything, end of NR, KOHD and the DC solo.

Fish
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #122 on: July 01, 2006, 06:15:22 PM »

Axl hasnt hired him to change every song that would not go down well with GNR fans anywhere. But he adds his own spin on everything, end of NR, KOHD and the DC solo.

Fish

I really don't hear much of a creative difference with KOHD and NR from what existed with Bucket. I actually thought Bucket performed the songs more crisply. Frankly, Ron has played adequetely but I haven't been able to discern a real creative contribution yet. His Don't Cry solo is a bit of a mess and greatly pales in comparison to the old track. I don't dig it.

As I said, he's been adequete, but I haven't been blown away.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 06:17:35 PM by killingvector » Logged

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
estranged.1098
« Reply #123 on: July 01, 2006, 06:16:46 PM »

Since you still haven't denied what I am saying about him being the least talented of the 3 is true, I am assuming that you agree with me.

I think you're wrong. Is it not enough that you don't like him, you have to convince Dave that he also doesn't?
JB9988
VIP

« Reply #124 on: July 01, 2006, 06:51:35 PM »

BF is better then bh, what ever dick said the foot was was gay how about have a fucking kfc bucket on you head with a mask and wig. If you do not like any of the fucking members in the current band go to the old gnr section to talk about how god like slash was

killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #125 on: July 01, 2006, 07:06:58 PM »

BF is better then bh, what ever dick said the foot was was gay how about have a fucking kfc bucket on you head with a mask and wig. If you do not like any of the fucking members in the current band go to the old gnr section to talk about how god like slash was

Would you care to explain why bbf > bh?

The only explanation offered is that you don't seem to like the bucket and mask. If that is the case, no sound eminating from B's guitar could ever open your mind. B

dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #126 on: July 01, 2006, 08:32:37 PM »

Would you care to explain why bbf > bh?

The only explanation offered is that you don't seem to like the bucket and mask. If that is the case, no sound eminating from B's guitar could ever open your mind. B

IMO Ron is a cross between what BH brought to the table and a slash. If  you were to mix slash and BHs playing you would get what Ron does. I agree BH is better but I am glad they got ron to replace him. He was the best choice by far of the rumored guys there were going to get

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
AxlRose4eva1
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #127 on: July 01, 2006, 09:15:25 PM »

I definitely do not think that Fink is the least talented guitar player and definitely is the most interesting.  Fink has a great sound in his guitar and he has incredible passion when he plays guitar.  Seriously go out and buy And All That Could Have Been or youtube.com NIN's woodstock performance.  Fink is amazing.  He is sloppy, he screws up a lot, but i have a feeling when he is playing his own stuff you wont be able to tell.  He is playing slash's music trying to carry his own style, it doesnt work and maybe youre right that Fortus and BBF would be best to play Slash's stuff, but Fink when he plays music that he wrote (yes he didnt write any NIN songs, but listen to an album and listen to a live song they are totally different so the guitar parts are pretty much Fink's creation). 

BBF whether you like it or not, I find annoying.  YOU may think he is great, best guitarist ever etc... but I havent been too impressed and think that his style is incredibly wrong for the band.  We have differing opinions, but the fact is it regardless of BH's insanity and his stupid get up it was pretty much accepted that he was an amazing guitarist and a unique individual.  BH's personality is a turn off to many and the cold hard fact is that the new album and the first US tour need to do very well if there is any hope of a 2nd album.  BH was a draw and because of him the new album might have reached more fans, BBF is not a draw and that is my point.  Maybe a few of you had heard of him before, but most of the world hadnt.  THis is why I feel like FInk would be the best guitarist to bill as the "lead" guitarist.  He already has a following.   He has a great stage presence.  He has a distinctive style.  A hard rock legacy.  And he wrote much of the music on Chinese Democracy.  Fink would be the right choice to push towards the front imo.

Also, Slash was never perfect either and yes gnr will never be the same without slash, but that isnt necessarily a bad thing.  Personally I hated Slash's Snakepit's albums and I think Izzy was a much bigger loss.

Oh and btw, if I had my way Id push for Tommy to be the breakout star.  I think he has an awesome personality and has more credibility than anyone int he band other than Axl. 
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #128 on: July 01, 2006, 10:19:29 PM »

I think you're wrong. Is it not enough that you don't like him, you have to convince Dave that he also doesn't?

I am just trying to get an answer from the people on this thread claiming that Finck is "awesome" and "great", because I have yet to find someone who has refuted the claim that Richard or BBF are better and more talented players than Richard, which then logically makes him the worst guitar player in his own band, and means he shouldn't be playing any of the old GNR leads.
AxlRose4eva1
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #129 on: July 01, 2006, 10:28:55 PM »

I am just trying to get an answer from the people on this thread claiming that Finck is "awesome" and "great", because I have yet to find someone who has refuted the claim that Richard or BBF are better and more talented players than Richard, which then logically makes him the worst guitar player in his own band, and means he shouldn't be playing any of the old GNR leads.

I am telling you that I think Fink si the better guitarist for Guns N Roses.  Better than Fortus and definitely better than Bumblefoot.  Fink has had more success than the other two.  Fink has more credibility.  Definitely plays his songs with more passion.  Has written much more for GNR than the other two.  Was brought in for the sole reason of filling Slash's through.  Has a much better rock personality.  Has a great stage presence.  Has a guns n roses style, gnr was never about playing the "best" or the "fastest"  or with "octave displacement"  it has been since its conception been a band that thrived when it was gritty and raw.  Fink for me is the best replacement for slash, even better than Buckethead.  Maybe he does not play as fast or as clean as the other guitarist, but Axl does not sing as clean or as in tune as Geoff Tate, that does not mean I want to see Geoff Tate instead of Axl.
estranged.1098
« Reply #130 on: July 01, 2006, 10:34:14 PM »

But how can you say Robin is the worst player in this band after listening to his writing on the new songs?

He adds his own twist to the old songs, they all do. Maybe you don't like what he adds as much as the others, maybe even because he's the most different to Slash of the 3. But you have to get into your head that he wasn't hired to play the old leads. I don't even think he thought he'd be playing them when he joined the band.

There's no logic in your posts that makes him the worst guitar player of this band, as you choose to ignore the most important factor, which is the one that the future of this band depends on.
Bravefish
Rocker

Live and Let Die

« Reply #131 on: July 01, 2006, 10:46:18 PM »

IF ur talking bout future, BBF is the man to come up with the chops the guy is so talented, he should play slash's parts and his writing ability is up there too.

I agree with dave, bbf is a mix of slash and BH sounding like the ideal man to drive GNR forward, his solo bar the mass tapping one minute has a very slashesque bluesy wah lick followed by DC something that he has added his own twist on. Very impressive IMO

FIsh
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #132 on: July 01, 2006, 10:50:22 PM »

But how can you say Robin is the worst player in this band after listening to his writing on the new songs?

Go listen to the TWAT demos with Bucket and without Bucket, and you will see a concrete example of how a more talented player was needed to truly take the song to the next level. Robin is an average player, and the original TWAT was decent, but anyone who has listened to the one with Bucket's parts on it can see proof positive that the talent in the band did not lie with Robin Finck. Buckethead, not Finck, took that song and many others I suspect from ordinary to extraordinary.
AxlRose4eva1
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #133 on: July 01, 2006, 10:53:42 PM »

BBF's solo work is terrible. ?Seriously I have listened to it and it is trash. ?It sounds nothing like slash I dont know if your ears are broken or what. ?There isa ?reason this guy was playing nightclubs in New Jersey with 30 people in the audience 2 months ago. ?Yes all of you are such huge fans of the guy now, but I will take Fink's writing on "Better" over any BBF song and I dare you to try to argue that. ?BBF may not even be in the band. ?I dont think he sounds anything like slash, and his style/attitude is nothing like slash's.

Listen to Reznor talk about Fink and the passion he played with. ?Reznor seems to hate fink, but will still admit that he is an incredible guitarist. ?Im sorry, ive listened to Normal and thought it was pure crap, i like the guitar playing and song writing much better on Village Gorilla Head, Velvet Revolver, Ju Ju Hounds and all the live NIN material than the BBF stuff i heard. ?Also the public seems to like it more as well, seeing as BBF's gimmick didnt get him too far up until touring with GNR.
Bravefish
Rocker

Live and Let Die

« Reply #134 on: July 01, 2006, 11:01:43 PM »

AxlRose4eva1 listen to some of the stuff he plays in the GNR concerts if you dont think that there are elements of Slashesque blues, listen to the solos in KOHD or the start of his solo before DC. And im not a fan of the guy through GNR I have heard of the guy before, he is so talented as a musician.

Agreed, BH took TWAT to another level and BBF can do that on songs. Better in years to come will not be looked at as a classic cause there is nothing to take away from the song. TWAT will because the ending is genius BH takes it to a whole new level.

BBF has the skills and chops of BH and combines so many different styles in his play - blues/country/rock etc and would be such a powerful asset to GNR.

Fish
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #135 on: July 01, 2006, 11:01:54 PM »

I definitely do not think that Fink is the least talented guitar player and definitely is the most interesting.  Fink has a great sound in his guitar and he has incredible passion when he plays guitar.  Seriously go out and buy And All That Could Have Been or youtube.com NIN's woodstock performance.  Fink is amazing.  He is sloppy, he screws up a lot, but i have a feeling when he is playing his own stuff you wont be able to tell.  He is playing slash's music trying to carry his own style, it doesnt work and maybe youre right that Fortus and BBF would be best to play Slash's stuff, but Fink when he plays music that he wrote (yes he didnt write any NIN songs, but listen to an album and listen to a live song they are totally different so the guitar parts are pretty much Fink's creation). 

BBF whether you like it or not, I find annoying.  YOU may think he is great, best guitarist ever etc... but I havent been too impressed and think that his style is incredibly wrong for the band.  We have differing opinions, but the fact is it regardless of BH's insanity and his stupid get up it was pretty much accepted that he was an amazing guitarist and a unique individual.  BH's personality is a turn off to many and the cold hard fact is that the new album and the first US tour need to do very well if there is any hope of a 2nd album.  BH was a draw and because of him the new album might have reached more fans, BBF is not a draw and that is my point.  Maybe a few of you had heard of him before, but most of the world hadnt.  THis is why I feel like FInk would be the best guitarist to bill as the "lead" guitarist.  He already has a following.   He has a great stage presence.  He has a distinctive style.  A hard rock legacy.  And he wrote much of the music on Chinese Democracy.  Fink would be the right choice to push towards the front imo.

Also, Slash was never perfect either and yes gnr will never be the same without slash, but that isnt necessarily a bad thing.  Personally I hated Slash's Snakepit's albums and I think Izzy was a much bigger loss.

Oh and btw, if I had my way Id push for Tommy to be the breakout star.  I think he has an awesome personality and has more credibility than anyone int he band other than Axl. 

I have to say that I agree with 90% of what you wrote. Finck has a huge stage presence: if Better is any indication of his writing talents then his contribution to GnR will be awesome. 

I don't find BBF annoying , just bland. Often times, I just forget he is up there. Since he didn't write any of the songs, I often think that he is playing another person's parts adequetely but I would have liked to instead hear Bucket rip his own solo.

Much of this discussion however is gratuitous since Bucket and Slash chose not to be here. I am appreciative that Ron is playing these shows; however, he hasn't strike the chord in my heart in the manner that his predecessors did.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 11:24:37 PM by killingvector » Logged

Bravefish
Rocker

Live and Let Die

« Reply #136 on: July 01, 2006, 11:04:49 PM »

Ron has been given parts by Axl and has the set up Axl wants him to have, im sure if Axl wanted him to be the MAIN guitar player - he would turn up, play most of the solos (well) and be the main man.

Thing is im sure axl isnt sure what to do. BH leaving was huge, you cant rebuild something, record stuff and then have the guy leave its as if u r bk to square one again..
Fact is, BBF has done a super job already
rock on I say

Fish
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #137 on: July 01, 2006, 11:13:30 PM »

BBF's solo work is terrible.  Seriously I have listened to it and it is trash.  It sounds nothing like slash I dont know if your ears are broken or what.  There isa  reason this guy was playing nightclubs in New Jersey with 30 people in the audience 2 months ago.  Yes all of you are such huge fans of the guy now, but I will take Fink's writing on "Better" over any BBF song and I dare you to try to argue that.  BBF may not even be in the band.  I dont think he sounds anything like slash, and his style/attitude is nothing like slash's.

Listen to Reznor talk about Fink and the passion he played with.  Reznor seems to hate fink, but will still admit that he is an incredible guitarist.  Im sorry, ive listened to Normal and thought it was pure crap, i like the guitar playing and song writing much better on Village Gorilla Head, Velvet Revolver, Ju Ju Hounds and all the live NIN material than the BBF stuff i heard.  Also the public seems to like it more as well, seeing as BBF's gimmick didnt get him too far up until touring with GNR.

Ron may have a combination of shredding (a la Big B) and blues based (a la Slash) talents but the comparison ends there.  I don't sense much of a personality up on stage which is most of the problem that I have with him. GnR is such a vibrant, collective unit of personnas, he seemingly gets lost amongst his colleagues. Slash was the man who tamed our hearts with barbed wire and whisky, a workman of style and street urchinsim. Bucket looked like an escapee from a freak show, but he had backstory and skills  to match which absolutely mesmerized my eyes. I remember seeing him play YCBM at Vegas 12-29 in which during a lull in the song he tilted his head, patched three fingers to this mouth and fell limp like a hanging scarecrow. Brilliant. How could you be bored with a character willing to jump up to the drum riser and unleash the giant Bucket steps dance as the confetti flew.

I really don't know what Ron is at this point. He has not opened himself up the guns fans yet; in fact, he appears to be quite protective of his self.  I really feel this detracts from his performance and likeability. Some day I hope we see the real Ron Thal out there and unfettered but thus far he has stood out like a cardboard knock down.

killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #138 on: July 01, 2006, 11:14:40 PM »

Ron has been given parts by Axl and has the set up Axl wants him to have, im sure if Axl wanted him to be the MAIN guitar player - he would turn up, play most of the solos (well) and be the main man.

Thing is im sure axl isnt sure what to do. BH leaving was huge, you cant rebuild something, record stuff and then have the guy leave its as if u r bk to square one again..
Fact is, BBF has done a super job already
rock on I say

Fish

I think he has done an adequete job, but I expect alot more from my primary lead.  Robin definately outshines Ron at this point.

misterID
"Enlightened"
Banned
Legend

I did not have sexual relations with that llama

« Reply #139 on: July 02, 2006, 03:05:18 AM »

Man, Bucket played those songs so fucking good. He completely made each song his own. Plus, he really seemed like part of the band. They might have hated him, but they meshed perfectly as a band. Bucket twisted a new solo every night and each night it was fresh. Ron just seems like a guy who's up there playing, you know? He's talented, no doubt, but he just doesn't have that feel to the songs Bucket did, just check out the solo in Chinese Democracy.

But, I'm giving Ron the benefit of the doubt. The guy was basically thrown on stage with a bunch of guys he never played with before, with songs he's never played before. And the fact that Bucket not only wrote (the new) songs, but had been practicing them for who knows how many years, and actually re-recorded AFD with the band, so he went into a show already having his own spin on the old songs. That's a luxury Ron didn't have.

Lastly, Buckethead, love him or hate him, was an overwhelming character. It's very difficult to follow someone with his kind of presence. There is no one else like him. He was a guy people noticed, and he had a solid persona. Even Slash was a character with a very strong persona. Bumblefoot is just a guy, not a character. Ron had a lot going against him from the beginning. He's handling it pretty well, imo. 

GNR delusion disorder, there is help for you.
http://www.chopaway.com/evolution/forum.php
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: