Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:00:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl's voice is NOT back, but it's not a bad thing! It has simply evolved.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl's voice is NOT back, but it's not a bad thing! It has simply evolved.  (Read 10899 times)
themovieaddict.com
« on: July 04, 2006, 12:17:18 PM »

I agree with POV's (locked) thread. Axl's voice isn't the same as before. Yes, it's a LOT better than 2002, but not hugely different. Listen to the good audio recordings of RIR5 - Patience, KOHD, Brownstone, etc. - and you can hear (especially on Patience) that he still has a helium-like voice.

HOWEVER, I think Axl's voice is just changing again. He didn't sound the same in the '80s as he did in the early '90s. He's getting older, his voice probably can't even handle the same amount of rasp as he used to have - so his voice sounds different. But I think it fits the sound of the new songs especially. The reason it sounds bad on the old songs is because we're used to them being sung a different way. But when you listen to Axl sing IRS, Better, TWAT, Madagascar or The Blues his voice sounds amazing. If Axl had recorded WTTJ or SCOM with his "helium" voice, and we heard a deep rasp nowadays, people would complain that he lost his singing abilities and is just screaming.

I think Axl is "singing" more now than he has in the past (KOHD @ RIR is awesome!).
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 12:20:54 PM »

DVD's and CD's are made of plastic, that means that in 30 years the recording of a guns n" roses 1988 show will still sound the same

Axl is made of carbon, is a human being, meaning he changes
for example, axl had a smooth skin in 1988, now he has some wrinkles, this is called aging.
i believe things happen with the voice too, i'm not sure.

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 12:29:55 PM »

Well, I think many people get raspy as they age. Many old men  esp non singers have rasps. peace
LookingThruThisPOV
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 12:40:21 PM »

I agree with POV's (locked) thread. Axl's voice isn't the same as before. Yes, it's a LOT better than 2002, but not hugely different. Listen to the good audio recordings of RIR5 - Patience, KOHD, Brownstone, etc. - and you can hear (especially on Patience) that he still has a helium-like voice.

And that's all I'm trying to say.  My point was, whether or not the fans here like the new voice or not is inconsequential.  The point was, that voice we're hearing now will not rule the rock world or come even close.  Its not about how much the Axl fans here like his new voice, its about how the fans who have walked away during the absence of an album and a real tour will like his new voice.  That was the point.

HOWEVER, I think Axl's voice is just changing again. He didn't sound the same in the '80s as he did in the early '90s. He's getting older, his voice probably can't even handle the same amount of rasp as he used to have - so his voice sounds different. But I think it fits the sound of the new songs especially. The reason it sounds bad on the old songs is because we're used to them being sung a different way.

No doubt.  He's going to kill any good will he builds up with the new shit by butchering these old classics.  That's why he's not going to succeed again here in the States.  I'm not trying to be an ass, I'm just being honest, like Simon on American Idol.

But when you listen to Axl sing IRS, Better, TWAT, Madagascar or The Blues his voice sounds amazing. If Axl had recorded WTTJ or SCOM with his "helium" voice, and we heard a deep rasp nowadays, people would complain that he lost his singing abilities and is just screaming.

As I was driving home last night, Paradise City came on the radio.  I'm listening to the song is dolby surround, right?  The music fucking rocks!  It was unbelievable!   but Axl's voice even rocks more!!!  He doesn't have that anymore.  Saying he has half of that strength left would be telling a falsehood.

Now let me set the record straight.... this post is not intended to tell you how much I miss the 80's Axl, nor is it to bash Axl, but it is to tell you that Axl will not rock arenas here in the U.S. again, not with that voice.  If he somehow finds his old voice again, he can, but its doubtful that will happen at age 44...
greendog
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 12:57:30 PM »

it is to tell you that Axl will not rock arenas here in the U.S. again, not with that voice.

I love America, but the way you have said that makes me think that Americans are arrogant and can't and will not accept change.
LookingThruThisPOV
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 01:06:22 PM »

I love America, but the way you have said that makes me think that Americans are arrogant and can't and will not accept change.

It has nothing to do with accepting change, bro.  If the change is for the good, Americans will hump it until they're dry.  The point is, that voice won't make American fans crazy like his voice did back in the day.  It also doesn't help that Slash isn't on stage with him either, but we won't go down that slope...
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006, 01:06:44 PM »

I was at the Paris show, and Axl sounded GREAT. I'm honnest!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 01:09:08 PM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2006, 01:07:49 PM »

You know POV, you sound awfully like a broken record.

All I can say is, having seen GN'R four times already this year, you're wrong.
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2006, 01:09:32 PM »

As I was driving home last night, Paradise City came on the radio.  I'm listening to the song is dolby surround, right?  The music fucking rocks!  It was unbelievable!   but Axl's voice even rocks more!!!  He doesn't have that anymore.  Saying he has half of that strength left would be telling a falsehood.

You were listening to a studio recording. Of course, there will be a huge difference between a live and a produced track.

btw POV, I'm still waiting for that list of bootlegs from the 2006 tour that you have listened. Complete with links for proof.

On a side note, this thread was locked once before, why exactly do you think the same thing won't happen again?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 01:27:14 PM by killingvector » Logged

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Crashdiet
Banned
VIP

'Absolutely'

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2006, 01:15:37 PM »

it is to tell you that Axl will not rock arenas here in the U.S. again, not with that voice.

Yeah and motley crue isn't still filling arena's all over north america are they.... Have you heard Vince sing lately. Axl puts vince to shame. Grow the fuck up.

Check out www.myspace.com/ashjonesmusic
Its me and my songs

Saskatoon, Sask Place March 16 1993

New York, Hammerstein Ballroom
May 12, 14, 15, 17
LookingThruThisPOV
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2006, 01:17:32 PM »

You were listening to a studio recording. Of course, there will be a huge difference between a live and a produced track.

btw POV, I'm still waiting for that list of bootlegs from the 2006 tour that you have listened from which you based your conclusion. Complete with links for proot.

On a side note, this thread was locked once before, why exactly do you think the same thing won't happen again?

drool
LookingThruThisPOV
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2006, 01:19:53 PM »

I was at the Paris show, and Axl sounded GREAT. I'm honnest!

The funny part is: I have some here telling me a studio version will obviously kill a live version.  Then, I have you telling me he sounds great live.  I have some telling me I 'must go to a show' to know what I'm talking about, that the boots won't suffice, but then I have some linking better boots.   confused   

Get over it people, Axl's voice is no where near as powerful as it was back in the early 90's.  Its irrefutable!  Insult me, lock the thread, make contradictorary statements, whatever....  it doesn't change this fact.  Quit acting like children! 
give_it_a_rest
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2006, 01:20:53 PM »

You're completely wrong about this I've seen Axl in the 90's and i've seen him a few days ago, his voice is so much better now then back then. And I also like America and Americans but sometimes some of you are are so naive and short-sighted. I think that you have to hear him sing in reality and not on a bootleg soundboard recording or something to be able to give a good opinion. I also wasn't impressed too much with the RIR recordings because the sound is not that good in my opinion.

[
themovieaddict.com
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2006, 01:21:15 PM »

btw POV, I'm still waiting for that list of bootlegs from the 2006 tour that you have listened from which you based your conclusion. Complete with links for proot.

I don't think this thread should be locked because I didn't intend it to turn into another Axl-bashing thread, I'm just saying yes, his voice is different, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a BAD thing!

And FYI - if you want a bootleg from '06, go listen to the Paris concert. I have the full bootleg. His voice is very high-pitched.

But somehow any time this is brought up people go on the defensive.

BTW - to the person who said Axl still has the same amount of energy - that's not even true at all. He's in his '40s, I wouldn't EXPECT him to have the same amount of energy. Go watch Coma from 1992 (it's on YouTube, I uploaded it) and see how much Axl jumps around and spins and runs and screeches into the mic.

Axl is getting older, of course he's going to run out of breath more and not be able to hold the notes like he used to. That's why I think songs such as The Blues are more suited towards him now.
themovieaddict.com
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2006, 01:22:58 PM »

You're completely wrong about this I've seen Axl in the 90's and i've seen him a few days ago, his voice is so much better now then back then. And I also like America and Americans but sometimes some of you are are so naive and short-sighted. I think that you have to hear him sing in reality and not on a bootleg soundboard recording or something to be able to give a good opinion. I also wasn't impressed too much with the RIR recordings because the sound is not that good in my opinion.

[

Hello? I said his voice is great now. I just said it's DIFFERENT.

About RIR - the sound may have been badly mixed but you can still tell whether his voice is different or not. I have a load of bootlegs from '06 so far, as well as the pro shot from Donington and IRS from Download. His voice is good but it's not the same as it was before.
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2006, 01:34:28 PM »

[

It waws

Hello? I said his voice is great now. I just said it's DIFFERENT.

About RIR - the sound may have been badly mixed but you can still tell whether his voice is different or not. I have a load of bootlegs from '06 so far, as well as the pro shot from Donington and IRS from Download. His voice is good but it's not the same as it was before.

It was 'different' in 2002 and people complained. He is more like he was during the Illusion era now than four years ago. I've said this a million times but Axl runs hot and cold even within a show. Be careful of the sampling because haters love to put a shaky vocal selection online as evidence that the man has lost it. From what I've heard, he is on par with his performances from the early 90s.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
LookingThruThisPOV
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2006, 01:40:46 PM »

And FYI - if you want a bootleg from '06, go listen to the Paris concert. I have the full bootleg. His voice is very high-pitched.

Gee, I wonder why?? They know you're right, but they love Axl, and admitting he doesn't have the same edge he had back in the day might mean the new Gunners won't succeed.? It sort of kills their whole reason for supporting the new band, since this is in essence: the Axl Rose solo project.? They don't wanna hear that CD will never come out.? They don't wanna hear that Axl's voice is shot.? They don't wanna hear about Slash and Duff.? They only want to hear what Merck and Axl have to tell them.? Its kind of scary actually.? Very cult-like.?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 01:42:19 PM by LookingThruThisPOV » Logged
IndiannaRose
VIP

AiN'T iT FuN WhEn YoU KnOw YoU'Re GoNnA DiE YoUnG

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2006, 01:44:03 PM »

You know, I hear a lot of this "I want the original Axl voice back" and not the "helium" shit. If you knew anything about Axl, then you'd know how much higher pitched Axl's voice was originally than at any other point in Axl's career:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5Uy8Fxu7uQk&search=roxy%20guns%20n%20roses (specifically listen to the outro)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EMuN7cUzOE8&search=roxy%20guns%20n%20roses

http://youtube.com/watch?v=k0H6bTGuiLQ&search=roxy%20guns%20n%20roses

« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 01:47:58 PM by IndiannaRose » Logged
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2006, 01:50:05 PM »

Gee, I wonder why?  They know you're right, but they love Axl, and admitting he doesn't have the same edge he had back in the day might mean the new Gunners won't succeed.  It sort of kills their whole reason for supporting the new band, since this is in essence: the Axl Rose solo project.  They don't wanna hear that CD will never come out.  They don't wanna hear that Axl's voice is shot.  They don't wanna hear about Slash and Duff.  They only want to hear what Merck and Axl have to tell them.  Its kind of scary actually.  Very cult-like. 

You know, we've heard this a lot before.

Keep this up and this is either being locked or just going to Dead Horse.
chinesedemocracy05
Banned
Rocker

SPRECHMAN!

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2006, 01:55:07 PM »

Gee, I wonder why?? They know you're right, but they love Axl, and admitting he doesn't have the same edge he had back in the day might mean the new Gunners won't succeed.? It sort of kills their whole reason for supporting the new band, since this is in essence: the Axl Rose solo project.? They don't wanna hear that CD will never come out.? They don't wanna hear that Axl's voice is shot.? They don't wanna hear about Slash and Duff.? They only want to hear what Merck and Axl have to tell them.? Its kind of scary actually.? Very cult-like.?

I feel what you mean dude, Im one of Axl's biggest suppoters but this forum is very cult like, some people need to seperate the TRUTH from their OWN reality. Is Axl's voice the same as it was in 1988, No, it never will be either, but At thesame time his new voice is Still unbelievable. I was at the show on May 15th in New York and it was the best concert ive ever seen. Ive seen Better musical and vocal performances (Bruce Springsteen and Billy Joel play every song perfect) but This new Guns N' Roses was so tight and Axl was VERY energetic and in to it.

my point is that Axl can control an arena, and everyone there will have a great fucking time. And as far as destroying classics that is one thing this band DOES NOT do. Nighttrain, Jungle, It's so easy they Were FANTASTIC live. Believe in this band man, see them yourself and you will bot be dissapointed.

They just thought Id know better. Better.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: