Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:36:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227805 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  If you were GNR's manager?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: If you were GNR's manager?  (Read 4228 times)
Minneapolisnewsman
« on: July 05, 2006, 07:57:27 PM »

Alright, we all know that very difficult decisions and ambiguous times lay ahead for GNR, and especially their manager, when the European tour ends.? They have to determine, and execute, their final marketing strategy--- and, most importantly the roll out of Chinese Democracy.? They have to decide how, and where to promote it.? They have to determine what type of venues, what kind of exposure, and how much, to avoid overexposure (maintain street cred).? Etc, etc.

What would you do, if you were GNR's manager/management team this fall?? I'll start.

1.? I would take a much needed two or three week break in August, and get the band back together in late August!
2.? I would negotiate a 1 hour, hi-def, concert package for HBO, using the best Europe footage.? ?And have it aired, beginning in mid October (make sure Izzy is in as much of this as possible).
3.? I would NOT schedule a U.S. tour that resembles 2002 in any shape or form.? ?
4.? Beginning in early September, I would play one select concert in NY (Hammerstein), one select show in Boston, one in Chicago, one in Miami, one in Dallas, one in Phoenix, one in Las Vegas, and two shows in Hollywood, and then the massive Inland Invasion.? At the Inland Invasion, and simultaneously online, I would, in conjunction with KROQ--release the first single.? Fans attending would get it, and online downloads would begin.? I would suggest "Better" as the first single, with a live version of it, and Rhiad as a "B" side (which really don't exist anymore, but have something included as a teaser).?
5.? In late October, would begin print adds in major publications, and at record stores,? marketing a Nov. 14 release date of Chinese Democracy.?
6.? On Halloween, I would launch GNR's new website, with a live show (like the Beatles "All You Need is Love" or Rolling Stones Rock n' Roll Circus, or the Rosario Downs birthday type setting) as the backdrop.? Maybe the Plum again?? One would have to register for the website to see the show.? At that time, I would send everyone who registered an e-mail reminder of the CD release date, and one "free" download coupon for an online purchase of one song off Chinese Democracy, and announce the North American concert dates (coupon for them too).? I would start the tour in Toronto (huge metro, GNR crazy city), and then play a smaller venue show in Montreal!? Next stop, Philadelphia:? the 1st show being a theatre show at $50.00 to $75.00, and then two arena shows, where tickets would be only $20.00 plus fee's.? For all shows, you would get $10.00 off of ticket if you produced proof of purchase for the 2002 shows.? Moreover, Axl should do, a few day's before the first Philly show, a one hour interview with the afternoon guy on WMMR (only if Cord on air with afternoon DJ at the same time, and Stinson is with Axl).? Axl should apologize on air to Philly, and say that he might not be able to explain fully the incident, but that he feels that the band, and himself let the Philly fans down.? Send this presser around the fuckin world!? Then I would do Boston (Fleet), NY (MSG), D.C. (3000 to 8000 seater their), Atlanta (smaller venue), Miami--outdoor, L.A. (mid-sized venue),? Chicago (All State), Minneapolis (smaller), K.C. (smaller), Denver (smaller), Houston, and Mexico City (outdoor show).? That would be it for the U.S. this year.? ?Book a show to be played and streamed online in Rio, one week before CD hits, and then tour S. America and and Asia through December.? I would limit the dates, and hit only major markets to avoid overexposure.
7.? Release second single on Thanksgiving weekend, or early December.? Tour through March in S. America, Asia.? Play a few theatre dates in April/May in U.S. and if album did well, do a major U.S. tour in the summer of 07.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 08:17:31 PM by Minneapolisnewsman » Logged
Lucky
Legend

There are no tuesdays left in 2006 and/or 2007!!!

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 08:02:45 PM »

I'd probably be the most nervous guy on the planet.
I'd be drinking 2 l of alcohol per day, and I'd have my own medical team, just in case I get a heart attack, or I end up getting beaten up in one of the riots.

after that I'd probably quit and beat the crap out of axl because I lost 40 pounds in the past 2 weeks, and because I smoke 3 packs of cigarets every time he needs to go on stage. Grin

typical fan talkin about reunion:  http://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/axG5B52_460s.jpg
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 08:04:47 PM »

Great post. One of the best I've seen in along time. I really like your HBO idea. During that same timeframe, GNR should be doing SNL, Tonight Show, VH1 Storytellers, a special MTV Unplugged, DirecTV's FreeView show,etc. Like you said, an all out blitz. If this album is going to register with the younger generation, Axl is going to have to shove it down the public's throat and seriously promote it. No half ass measures.

The US Tour definitely has to be different than the Euro tour or the 2002 fiasco. Rehash isn't going to fly here, and he needs to start this promotion in July/August(like you said), and completely revamp this stale setlist. Only reason to keep the same setlist is if AFD Vol. 2 is coming out this year instead of CD.

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 08:12:27 PM »

VH1 Storytellers, .

Let's wait til they have a musical story to tell before..

Well, you know..

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Minneapolisnewsman
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 08:13:00 PM »

Great post. One of the best I've seen in along time. I really like your HBO idea. During that same timeframe, GNR should be doing SNL, Tonight Show, VH1 Storytellers, a special MTV Unplugged, DirecTV's FreeView show,etc. Like you said, an all out blitz. If this album is going to register with the younger generation, Axl is going to have to shove it down the public's throat and seriously promote it. No half ass measures.

The US Tour definitely has to be different than the Euro tour or the 2002 fiasco. Rehash isn't going to fly here, and he needs to start this promotion in July/August(like you said), and completely revamp this stale setlist. Only reason to keep the same setlist is if AFD Vol. 2 is coming out this year instead of CD.

James, I wonder though, if to get more exposure one should limit it to only the HBO thing. ?That way, they control the material that is out there: it's premium because it's HBO hi-def (and HBO hypes events well), and then the internet does the rest of the trick. ?Then the second live, media/TV type event would be the launching of the website. ?I would avoid SNL, Tonight Show's, etc, because the sound sucks so bad for everyone--and unlike everyone, Axl will take it on the chin. ?So, I think limit, and let the internet build the right kind of exposure. ?

Along the same lines, limit the shows in the U.S.--like the Hammerstein, so they sell out fast!!! ?Make the product more demanded, than the supply. ?And let it be known--setting up a huge money making tour in 07! ?

Just my two cents. ?I love the input! ?

Along your lines, you are right---18-30 is the age group that buys the most hard rock. ?By the looks of the boots from this summer, Axl has throngs of them attending shows in Europe. ?That GH's collection helped! ?GNR has become what Aerosmith and Zeppelin were to my Gen (30 yrs. old), when we were in our teens. ?Now, though, he needs to make sure they are ready, and paying attention in N. America. ?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 08:35:28 PM by Minneapolisnewsman » Logged
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 08:19:49 PM »

I'd probably be the most nervous guy on the planet.
I'd be drinking 2 l of alcohol per day, and I'd have my own medical team, just in case I get a heart attack, or I end up getting beaten up in one of the riots.

after that I'd probably quit and beat the crap out of axl because I lost 40 pounds in the past 2 weeks, and because I smoke 3 packs of cigarets every time he needs to go on stage. Grin

rofl ?rofl ?rofl ? Lucky, that was the best laugh I've had for awhile. ?

Seriously, on 1st read Minneapolis, that looks cool. ?You didn't include Super Bowl Sunday two days before Axl's birthday, February 4, 2007!!! ? Grin

Axl and the gang look and sound cooler than fuck right now, and only the privileged few in NYC and Europe know it. ?I have a feeling this will change very soon! ? Cool ? beer ? ? ? ? ?

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
johnnythunders24
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2006, 08:42:13 PM »

An HBO special would be great, because they could do what they wanted with it, have little editing (censoring), no commercials.
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2006, 08:56:48 PM »

Sounds a great ploy indeed. Overexposure is tantamount to suicide in this case - the more is less approach I have been in favour of all along

CD has a unique hype attached , a mysterious vibe as well as a farcical one. That needs to be utilised and capitalised on

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2006, 09:04:17 PM »

Sounds a great ploy indeed. Overexposure is tantamount to suicide in this case - the more is less approach I have been in favour of all along

CD has a unique hype attached , a mysterious vibe as well as a farcical one. That needs to be utilised and capitalised on
I pretty much agree with that. Like you, I have always thought the album could pretty much sell itself. Let the years long hype and music do the talking. But here in the US, Rap and Pop pretty much dominate everything, so some sort of promotion will be needed here in the weeks leading up to CD release. But if Axl cares nothing about the MTV crowd, then that sort of promotion isn't really needed.

Bostonrose
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2006, 09:23:35 PM »

2.? I would negotiate a 1 hour, hi-def, concert package for HBO, using the best Europe footage.? ?And have it aired, beginning in mid October (make sure Izzy is in as much of this as possible).

this says alot....so obviously you don't think the new band can catch on if you want Izzy in as much as possible...sort of like fooling people into thinking he is in the band, no?

"I never wanted you to be so full of anger, I never wanted you to be somebody else"
Minneapolisnewsman
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2006, 09:27:02 PM »

this says alot....so obviously you don't think the new band can catch on if you want Izzy in as much as possible...sort of like fooling people into thinking he is in the band, no?

He serves as a bridge to the new band for the older fans who are just being reintroduced to GNR.  What I should have said, is make sure to include performances with him in the 1 hour show.  Not showcase him.
14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2006, 11:09:15 PM »

Great post.  I agree with you on most points.  However I would begin radio and print promotion about a month more in advance, while continually building it up to the release date.  Its also very important that we see a proper interview with Axl.  I think that Rolling Stone would be best and hopefully we see the interview prior to CD release. 

Your point about limited US dates is very key.  Let the demand surpass the supply first.  Its all about the hype.

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2006, 11:26:18 PM »

I like the idea of starting anything in the USA with a little mini tour of cities that will all sell out. (Plus your plan swings thru my home town which is a plus)

To me the European tour isn't going to carry any weight in the US unless there is footage like you are talking about. If that can't be done they have to string together a few successfull dates in the US before announcing a true tour.
LookingThruThisPOV
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2006, 11:39:23 PM »

What would you do, if you were GNR's manager/management team this fall?? I'll start.

1.? I would take a much needed two or three week break in August, and get the band back together in late August!
snip

These are mostly solid ideas, but there is only huge problem I see.? I don't think Axl has this band to the point where they're gonna be able to have this 'inland invasion.'? The album must be released before any American tour starts.? The fans, in general, are not going to flock back to see a 44-year old Axl perform a bunch of 20 year-old songs, considering at least 2 very key compontents of that era would not even be with him.? I'm not pining for the old band, I'm just telling you what would happen.? So the big problem with all this is the release of CD.? I don't think its as "ready" as we're being led to believe.? If that's the case, there's no sense in management making all the elaborate plans.?

If I were GNR's manager... I'd get Axl in the studio yesterday and not let him leave until he sends a completed album to be mastered.? That has not happened yet.? The band will likely want to rest when they return home.? I think we've seen that movie too many times already.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 11:43:43 PM by LookingThruThisPOV » Logged
mr.lance
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2006, 11:53:38 PM »

I do a live Concert in Iraq . put it on VH1 and let the world here som new GNR tunes and that Axl back release the CD in september and let the train roll on.
Outtagetme
Banned
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2006, 12:59:15 AM »

Fuck Iraq. That would be the disaster from hell!  Some asshole would try to drive a car bomb into the back of the stage or something.  We don't want our guy assassinated....
JDA
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2006, 01:47:21 AM »

I would say, you guys are being a bunch of dumbasses by not releasing the cd.  Nut up and let's sell some records. 
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2006, 01:55:09 AM »

Its easy.

Drop the 1st single in August. It should be nothing we have heard? before and it should be the best rocker on the album.

do the VMAs where you unveil the first single BUT dont do it live, do it from the Euro tour (like LALD back in 1991), where they can pick the best performance of the song and get a good reaction. The VMAs should before right before (few weeks) the album release to hype the album.

After the VMAs axl should have an mtv speical with loder where he does an interview about CD.
then drop the album in sept (2nd or 3rd week)
drop 2nd single oct and it should be the best ballad on the album
hammterstein DVD in nov in time for xmas with the 3rd single which should be the next best song on the album

as for touring
Start touring the USA AFTER the album drops
in the big cities like LA, Boston, NY Chicago etc you can play areanas but for the places like idaho and those just player theathers.

NYE do vegas hob or do NY hammerstein again and have it on live tv or? ppv

Also when the offical site launches have a fan club and have speical offers where  you can get the cd singles with B sides, they have tons of songs to burn that were nixed so give the fans these throw away songs as a thank you for waiting. The first b sides could be stuff from the silkworms era that were all those industrial songs that we wont be hearing.

Also for the fan club you could give out the presales and stuff like that.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 02:09:05 AM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2006, 02:02:36 AM »

All great points Minny, except for all those coupons, I don't think we should cheapen Chinese Democracy with money saving ideas.
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2006, 02:14:58 AM »

Alright, we all know that very difficult decisions and ambiguous times lay ahead for GNR, and especially their manager, when the European tour ends.? They have to determine, and execute, their final marketing strategy--- and, most importantly the roll out of Chinese Democracy.? They have to decide how, and where to promote it.? They have to determine what type of venues, what kind of exposure, and how much, to avoid overexposure (maintain street cred).? Etc, etc.

3.? I would NOT schedule a U.S. tour that resembles 2002 in any shape or form.? ?
4.? Beginning in early September, I would play one select concert in NY (Hammerstein), one select show in Boston, one in Chicago, one in Miami, one in Dallas, one in Phoenix, one in Las Vegas, and two shows in Hollywood, and then the massive Inland Invasion.? At the Inland Invasion, and simultaneously online, I would, in conjunction with KROQ--release the first single.? Fans attending would get it, and online downloads would begin.? I would suggest "Better" as the first single, with a live version of it, and Rhiad as a "B" side (which really don't exist anymore, but have something included as a teaser).?
5.? In late October, would begin print adds in major publications, and at record stores,? marketing a Nov. 14 release date of Chinese Democracy.?
6.? On Halloween, I would launch GNR's new website, with a live show (like the Beatles "All You Need is Love" or Rolling Stones Rock n' Roll Circus, or the Rosario Downs birthday type setting) as the backdrop.? Maybe the Plum again?? One would have to register for the website to see the show.? At that time, I would send everyone who registered an e-mail reminder of the CD release date, and one "free" download coupon for an online purchase of one song off Chinese Democracy, and announce the North American concert dates (coupon for them too).? I would start the tour in Toronto (huge metro, GNR crazy city), and then play a smaller venue show in Montreal!? Next stop, Philadelphia:? the 1st show being a theatre show at $50.00 to $75.00, and then two arena shows, where tickets would be only $20.00 plus fee's.? For all shows, you would get $10.00 off of ticket if you produced proof of purchase for the 2002 shows.? Moreover, Axl should do, a few day's before the first Philly show, a one hour interview with the afternoon guy on WMMR (only if Cord on air with afternoon DJ at the same time, and Stinson is with Axl).? Axl should apologize on air to Philly, and say that he might not be able to explain fully the incident, but that he feels that the band, and himself let the Philly fans down.? Send this presser around the fuckin world!? Then I would do Boston (Fleet), NY (MSG), D.C. (3000 to 8000 seater their), Atlanta (smaller venue), Miami--outdoor, L.A. (mid-sized venue),? Chicago (All State), Minneapolis (smaller), K.C. (smaller), Denver (smaller), Houston, and Mexico City (outdoor show).? That would be it for the U.S. this year.? ?Book a show to be played and streamed online in Rio, one week before CD hits, and then tour S. America and and Asia through December.? I would limit the dates, and hit only major markets to avoid overexposure.
7.? Release second single on Thanksgiving weekend, or early December.? Tour through March in S. America, Asia.? Play a few theatre dates in April/May in U.S. and if album did well, do a major U.S. tour in the summer of 07.

did you plan the budget ?
do you have a ROI on that ?
Smiley

but overall THIS IS EXACTLY what guns n roses is NOT.
that might work for some mtv crappy band. not for gnr.

axl should stay quiet
play some gigs
do NOT answer interviews
do NOT go on tv
just play shows, and release a cd, and let the people decide.

marketing would kill guns n' roses.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 02:17:32 AM by WAT-EVER, i'm totally buggin » Logged

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: