Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:01:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227808 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  GNN - GN'R News Network
| | |-+  Review: Roskilde, Denmark by swedish newspaper
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Review: Roskilde, Denmark by swedish newspaper  (Read 2658 times)
carlosmontana
Headliner

Nigel Tufnel: These go to eleven

« on: July 01, 2006, 06:44:17 AM »

Review in swedish: http://hd.se/noje/2006/06/30/en_ren_retroupplevelse

Crap translation made by me, hungover and hungry, below:

Helsingborgs Dagblad, 1 july 2006
GUNS`N`ROSES, Orange, 29 jun. 3/5

That funniest thing at the Velvet Revolver (where former GnR members Duff McKagan, Matt Sorum and Slash are members show at the Orange stage at Roskilde last year was a sign in the audience with the text ?Where?s Axl?. It?s fun on more than one level. The most obvious is that VR is a crap band that desperatly needs some self distance and someone to write decent songs.

The other thing (at least I thought it?s fun) is that over the last years Axl have been setting new records in bizzare behaviour, spent eleven year and a ridiculous amount of money on a record that?s never coming out anf on the whole should have been forgotten by every modern human being (the kind of people that owns ?Appetite for destruction? on vinyl, but put their money on buying new music). That sign made me laugh the entire festival.

But braid my hair in a wierd hairstyle and throw me in the drunk tank! Now exactly one year later, Axl is on the same stage with a handpicked band with skilled musicans and does that what Velvet Revolver couldn?t: entertaining. It?s not new, it?s far from without error, but since Axl doesn?t mind to bask himself in old exploits, there?s alot of old acquaintances. THe Band goes through almost all of ?Appetite...?, picks the best from "Use your illusions" and dutifully plays a few tracks from the coming "Chinese democracy".

The beginning is shamelessly playing to the gallery, "Welcome to the jungle", "It?s so easy", "Mr Brownstone" and final cover of Paul McCartneys "Live and let die", that never sounded right for sir Paul. "Knockin?on heavens door" turns in to a great sing-a-long and "Nighttrain" the hardest number of the night.

Guns?n?Roses 2006 is pure retro and the boys in Sigur Ros are presumably pissed off as hell, the delay made most of their audience stay at the Orange stage. But now and then retro works just right. When Axl Rose laughs, chats with the audience and shows that he?s still the owner of the thoughest voice in the rock world, then it?s real experience for those who missed the show in -91.
And for me who saw a tired band that wanted to be somewhere else, it?s pretty good.

If Axl Rose just got rid of the jazzmedley, soloduel, Dizzys instrumental pianoversion of "Ziggy Stardust", Rons soloversion of "Don?t cry" and Robins of Sibelius "Finlandia" (you might think I?m joking, but I?m not), then Guns?n?Roses at Roskilde -06 could have been a classic.
Now it was just to much of a roller-coaster. But when it was good, it was great.

Torgny Nilsson, Helsingborgs Dagblad

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: