Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 09:44:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228060 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Roskilde !!!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Roskilde !!!  (Read 20793 times)
blueheart
Rocker

Demy C.S.I.

« Reply #100 on: June 30, 2006, 05:14:55 AM »

Back from Roooooooooooooooskilde.

I lost my voice.... My heart years ago. To this fuckin band and that redheaded lead singer.

The show was.... UNFUCKINBELIEVABLY COOL. This band is so smooth, you'll slip on them if you're not careful. Fuck, they rock! Setlists will surface, but for now:

1.? ?45 minutes late. Few people booed. Young Swedish girl asked me "They very late, yes?" and it dawned on me: To the many "young" people there (13-20 years old) this was a "classic" band. Old timers! *laughs*?

2.? Clouds vaporated and not a cottonball in the sky! Beautiful, beautiful evening.

3.? Jungle hit and the place goes bonkers

4.? Axl is in HIGH spirits, smiling, joking and genuinely thanking the crowd. Magic.

5.? "Oldest festival in the world. 39 years?"... he talked a lot. He was really into this show.

6.? A lot of Swedish police jokes and rent-a-cops. "If I lie down like this.." and he lay down on stage! Didn't hear the rest clearly, but it was HILRARIOUS

7. Fireworks and pyro really BREATHES at a huge, historic venue like Roskilde's Orange stage. Wow.

8.? Many, many, many, many highlights but I'd say.... November Rain really had all 70,000 fuckers misty-eyed. Fuck yeah.

9.? And Axl's voice? I saw them in Budapest and that's already a modern classic, but the SOUND here at Roskilde, was fuckin CRISP and CLEAR and PERFECT and Axl sang to the heavens... EVERYBODY commented his voice around us and afterwards. People were like: "This guy is incredible".

Later, all....

peace

RF

It seems you had a great time there...? beer can t wait these 9  f@cking days? smoking

The General
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #101 on: June 30, 2006, 05:41:59 AM »

The vocal was almost perfect and the firworks where huge.
NirvClub
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #102 on: June 30, 2006, 05:54:59 AM »

Holy shit!

What a truly amazing, yet unsurprizing show! Oh, have I waited for this day! Maaaan! And I even managed to film a couple of songs, even though the sound isn't the best. My batteries went dead when they were about to play "Better". (way into the set)

The setlist was almost the same as Oslo, except for Rocket Queen, Mr. Brownstone (i don't recall it was playd...no I wasn't too drunk to remember Grin), IRS, Madagascar, that wasn't played. They played a little over 2 hrs.

The show started an hour late...no surprize there either, everybody booed because the band was late. But when the chords to "Jungle" began...woaw! Everybody went crazy, and I haven't heard anything like it before. The thing that was bad, was that i couldn't find a better place to film. I was maybe 50 meters or more from the stage.

Well, anywhoo, this is something that will be hard to forget the next few years (or till the next time GNR visits Denmark again!)

I'll get some breakfast, then jump into bed, and then I'll see what I can do about the videos i made...

They DID play "Mr. Brownstone", but not the others you mentioned.

It was indeed a great show. No Izzy or Baz, though. And waaayy too many fucking solos ... they've started playing these jazz-like jams in between a lot of the songs. I haven't heard that on any of the bootlegs.

But Axl was in a good mood and they played a great show. Lots of nice pyro and fireworks too.

They were about 50 minutes late. A little after 9 PM (when they were supposed to go on), they played various songs over the PA .. starting with Led Zeppelin, going into RATM, Foo Fighters and a bunch of others. At first the audience would cheer after a song ended, but eventually it turned into boos. hehe. But like the others said, once they started playing Jungle, the place went crazy and everyone forgot about the band being late and just enjoyed themselves.

Oh, the new drummer was great. He'd often play this beat on the snare drum to get the audience to chant "GUNS AND ROSES" over and over. Axl joked that the audience should do that every night for the rest of the festival! hahaha. He also said something about the drummer having the "time of his life".
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 05:56:51 AM by NirvClub » Logged
DemocracyRose
« Reply #103 on: June 30, 2006, 07:01:49 AM »

Very bad reviews from danish media... Undecided

They say that GNR was a joke and there was too many solos...

I was there and I think it was a 4/6 concerts. Axl and the band sounded great but in my opinion the sound was too low.. Axl was in a fantastic mood and was joking alot...  peace

Maybe later i will give a longer review...

duga
VIP

If you're not a rock star - at least act like one

« Reply #104 on: June 30, 2006, 08:09:58 AM »

Very bad reviews from danish media... Undecided

They say that GNR was a joke and there was too many solos...

I was there and I think it was a 4/6 concerts. Axl and the band sounded great but in my opinion the sound was too low.. Axl was in a fantastic mood and was joking alot...  peace

Maybe later i will give a longer review...

The sound in Globen (7 out of 10) was too low too. Had to take out my earplugs from time to time.

Stockholm 2006, Oslo 2010, Maryland 2016, Stockholm 2017, Gothenburg 2018

Power to the people, peace out and blame Canada
snow white
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #105 on: June 30, 2006, 08:19:55 AM »

Fucking awesome show!!!
Axl looks great and sounded awesome and was in good spirits, making a few jokes about being arrested and told the crowd who kept chanting Guns And roses! to chant that for the rest of the concert at ever show. Hehehe.

The chemistry of the band on stage is brilliant. there was heaps of interaction and they sounded awesome. Loved dizzys solo.

I think I was one of like 4 people who sang and danced to the new songs though. NO one was into the Blues where I was standing (at the front of the right side) but people got into better.

Cant wait to see them in Nottingham because hopefully we will hear more new music, like Madgascar and maybe even TWAT or something completely new. anyways, best night of my life.

Cant wait to see Dylan tonight.
onetimer
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #106 on: June 30, 2006, 09:56:07 AM »

Hey!
Long time lurker, first time poster, I thought I'd share some of the experience.

I was at the Roskilde Festival last night at the Guns show, pretty much dead-center (left side of the right box) first row, getting fucking smashed up against the fence, it was all good but VERY exhausting. I waited from the moment they opened (17:00) until Guns went on stage (probably around 22:00 I think), as a Guns fan you also had to watch Bullet for my Valentine since they allowed people to stay in front of the scene for both shows and keep their spots - which is why it was quite rough physically, quite a few people carried away from around me because of exhaustion, but no injuries or anything, security was - as always on Roskilde - top notch.

They were about an hour or so late, people started booing quite a bit, but everything was forgiven and forgotten once Axl finally showed his face on stage.

The start of the show was AMAZING, they just blasted out Welcome to the Jungle, Mr. Brownstone and a few other quick explosive songs! Then the show slowed down a little and they played some quieter songs. In the beginning it was great to get some variety and have a breather during the slow songs, but as the show wore on it became too slow, I'm sorry but the guitar solos just didn't cut it (and I normally LOVE guitar solos), they were slow and boring. Dizzy's solo was really great though, but most of the other solos and interludes were too slow and too repetitive. I know I'll take flak for this, but Thal/Finck/Fortus just can't captivate the audience like Slash during the solos, Thal's VERY fast shredding was just a freak show, added nothing musically. Axl was clearly the backbone of the band, most of the energy disappeared when Axl disappeared off stage (which he did a bit much IMHO).

Axl was in awesome shape, running around screaming like a madman, getting into crazy rants, singing beautifully - on the explosive angry songs as well as the quiet ones - clearly showed why he's one of the best (if not the best) frontmen in the world right now! The stage show was brilliant too, among the very best I've seen at the Orange stage over the years, fireworks, flames (you could feel the heat clearly in the front rows!), smoke, confetti - they had it all!

The selection of songs was very good, of course with Guns you really almost can't go wrong, there are so many great songs it's impossible to hear them all during just one show - notably absent were Rocket Queen (a lot of chants for it from the audience though) and Madagascar which I really missed, would have loved to have heard songs like Estranged or Pretty Tied Up too, but no complaints there - not enough time for everything, that's just how it is.

All in all I'd give the show maybe 8/10, a very good performance that could have been top notch, but was hampered by slow boring guitar solos and mindless freak show shredding from Thal. My impression was that most people around me would agree, haven't read any reviews from the media yet, I'm gonna do that right now - hopefully they're not as bad as people are saying, because that would certainly NOT be fair with the performance they gave.
Rainfox
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #107 on: June 30, 2006, 11:36:27 AM »

I totally agree.

Great, great show. The reviews are laughable!

The crowd went boinkers!

And the show itself - the SHOW - pyro, fireworks, confetti - it totaly ruled. Went real smooth. And a glorious night too.

Reviews:

Treo from Ekstra Bladet is a moron. Never mind him. He once reviewed a show he didn't attend!

Steffen Jungeren from BT is an APE. Worst reviewer we have and some what of a clown. He's a joke. Always drunk and basically... a buffoon.

Kim Skotte in Politiken has worsened over the years and become very dumdfounded in fact. He was better in his old days at Aktuelt. Now, he's tired and his journlistic codes are broken constantly. His review is shit.

Berlingske isn't out yet. And JP can't spell culture. Or is it kulture?  Wink

This sounds like I'm protecting Axl but it's not that. The Danish press SUCKS. There's so much moronic malice involved here I'm at a loss for words..

I never ever read Danish music and movie sections, reviews and articles. For that I have Rolling Stone, The New York Times and Roger Ebert.

This show was brilliant. And the Festival itself are very proud. It was even announced shortly after.

DemocracyRose
« Reply #108 on: June 30, 2006, 01:53:21 PM »

I totally agree.

Great, great show. The reviews are laughable!

The crowd went boinkers!

And the show itself - the SHOW - pyro, fireworks, confetti - it totaly ruled. Went real smooth. And a glorious night too.

Reviews:

Treo from Ekstra Bladet is a moron. Never mind him. He once reviewed a show he didn't attend!

Steffen Jungeren from BT is an APE. Worst reviewer we have and some what of a clown. He's a joke. Always drunk and basically... a buffoon.

Kim Skotte in Politiken has worsened over the years and become very dumdfounded in fact. He was better in his old days at Aktuelt. Now, he's tired and his journlistic codes are broken constantly. His review is shit.

Berlingske isn't out yet. And JP can't spell culture. Or is it kulture?? Wink

This sounds like I'm protecting Axl but it's not that. The Danish press SUCKS. There's so much moronic malice involved here I'm at a loss for words..

I never ever read Danish music and movie sections, reviews and articles. For that I have Rolling Stone, The New York Times and Roger Ebert.

This show was brilliant. And the Festival itself are very proud. It was even announced shortly after.

I totally agree here...

Other magazines like Gaffa gives them 3/6...
stinson4ever
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #109 on: June 30, 2006, 05:00:50 PM »

If the band's favorite song of the new album is CD? then this album is going to suck

Stop twisting it. Its their fave song to do live, out of the new songs BEING played.

I did get updates but I fell asleep because of the Oslo decadence on the 28th. The show rocked. My friend went all crazy during Better
Yeah its not like there gonna say this i love is their fav song out of the blue there just talkin bout the tracks there playin live.
Chief
Legend

« Reply #110 on: July 01, 2006, 12:39:31 AM »

anyone got the setlist? didn't see it so far or maybe i missed it

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
estranged2006
Banned
Rocker

Barbara K Bodine is a Fucking Whore. Traitor

« Reply #111 on: July 01, 2006, 12:46:56 AM »

anyone got the setlist? didn\'t see it so far or maybe i missed it

maybe it is the same?
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #112 on: July 01, 2006, 12:48:33 AM »

check the thread in tour section too Wink

Guns N'Roses were scheduled to play at 21.00, went on at 21.50...

All the usual solos, won't mention them in the setlist..

Welcome To The Jungle
It's So Easy
Mr. Brownstone
Live And Let Die
Sweet Child O'Mine
Knockin' On Heavens Door
You Could Be Mine
The Blues
Out Ta Get Me
November Rain
Better
My Michelle
Patience
Nightrain
Encore:
Chinese Democracy
Paradise City

Including breaks, jams and solos they played for about 2 hours 15 minutes. No IRS, no Madagascar, No Rocket Queen...

Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #113 on: July 01, 2006, 01:12:44 AM »

How is it that every fan review from every show talks about how Axl's vocals were "perfect" and it was the best show yet, and the reviews by non-message board visiting people continue to be less than complimentary? How can a bunch of people watch the same show, yet walk away with such drastically different conclusions.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #114 on: July 01, 2006, 01:58:42 AM »

How is it that every fan review from every show talks about how Axl's vocals were "perfect" and it was the best show yet, and the reviews by non-message board visiting people continue to be less than complimentary? How can a bunch of people watch the same show, yet walk away with such drastically different conclusions.

the press has never liked GNR or axl the bad reviews by newspapers should not be a surprise.
estranged2006
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #115 on: July 01, 2006, 02:04:56 AM »

how can some peoples say its ok to bite the security guard when your drunk! it is too much axl rose worship!
Minneapolisnewsman
« Reply #116 on: July 01, 2006, 02:17:07 AM »

how can some peoples say its ok to bite the security guard when your drunk! it is too much axl rose worship!

There is no doubt your logic is correct, but the problem is the bootlegs continue to show that the critics are for the most part clueless.   Axl, no doubt, has been very good vocally on this tour.   I am sure, though, that they have had bad nights.  But, they are phenomenal live!
sic.
id est
VIP

i wrote don't cry

« Reply #117 on: July 01, 2006, 05:31:05 AM »

GNR received some coverage on the Roskilde gig in Helsingin Sanomat, the largest Finnish daily newspaper today. They were on the opening page of the 'Culture' section, with a big photo of Axl giving a middle finger to the audience (likely the "why don't you just..." bit of ISO). The article was titled "A shell of a band", which gives an idea of the writer's opinion. He called the oldies (WTTJ, ISO, Brownstone, SCOM, OTGM and Nightrain) hits, that still sink into the audience without a hitch, and gave the band props for putting up a good show. He compared the band to a Broadway-musical: highly entertaining, in a good way. He liked the fact that Axl seemed to be in brisk shape and was still able to hits all the notes.

When he got down to talking about the new band and CD, his tone expectedly got a bit bleaker. While they played well, they were mentioned as "hired musicians", and were criticized to be an impersonal bunch when compared to the AFD lineup. Finck was apparently the most impressive, which is a bit amusing when considering he did most of Slash's solos. Then again, he did play his Finlandia solo again, as the amused reviewer pointed out. Some of the usual talk about CD taking so long, the expenses, the personell changes. CD, The Blues and Better were labeled completely different from the old songs, which the writer remembers as "classic rock with snappy choruses". He noted he had a hard time finding the choruses altogether from the new tracks.

And Axl's arrest got a mention, which was expected. The same could be said about Axl, who reportedly asked the audience to make enough sound "for Sweden to hear". He was said to be in a good mood, telling the audience he was likely "most fucked up of us all".

Close the piece with a notion that the both Helsinki gigs are sold out. Last laughs.

There's no logic here today / Do as you got to, go your own way / I said that's right / Time's short your life's your own / And in the end / We are just...
Rainfox
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #118 on: July 01, 2006, 06:27:21 AM »

My review of the Roskilde show. I don't normally comment on my colleagues, but the whole corps here in Denmark - 5 major newspapers - are so blatantly moronic (and get stuff wrong - songs, sound, clothing) that it's their ignorance and prejudices AGAINST Axl speaking - not their journalistic skills.

Live and let live

- An exuberant Axl Rose triumphs at Roskilde

Roskilde Festival
June 29th 2006

Guns N' Roses
Orange Stage, 21:00

RO Ltd.

While rainclouds had threatened the merry festival goers all day, the sun would finally burn them away just before dusk. Expectations were sky high as Guns N' Roses were set to kick off the famous Roskilde Festival.

Not only were they coming across the pond with five years of wild raves from the serious music press in tow, it had been 13 years since they last visited Denmark.

Taking the stage around a quarter to ten, Guns N' Roses 'Version 2.0' were greeted by a roaring 70,000 strong crowd, as the festival lapped up the last rays of an orange-yellow sunset.

Guitarist Robin Finck teased with the opening notes of "Welcome to the Jungle" and soon a very familiar wail sliced the evening air: "DO YOU KNOW WHERE THE FUCK YOU ARE?".

The sound was brilliant, crisp and clean, with perfect volume for the massive grounds that almost circle the orange tent of the stage. Frequently, Orange Stage has had sound problems but not tonight. It was crystal.

And there he was, this mercurial frontman, this Howard Hughes of Hard Rock, this Ayatollah of rock n' rolla. Axl Rose. Looking fit and happy, with pulled back braided hair, a nicely groomed goatee and a rather impressive six-pack for a 44-year old, he started the show in top gear and never let up. Darting across the stage not missing a note, you might have needed to pinch yourself to realize it was 2006 and not 1992.

Drummer Brian Mantia was home with his pregnant wife and substitute Frank Ferrer let know he meant business. As the band ripped into the punkish "It's So Easy", coupled with bassist Tommy Stinson and guitarist Richard Fortus, they easily (pun intended) made a case for the tightest rhythm section in all of rock n' roll. Straight on to "Mr. Brownstone", that had the audience swaying in unison like a wave.

Ofcourse, there is no Slash in Guns N' Roses these days and there hasn't been for ten years. In fact, this so called 'new' line-up has been together longer now than the old one. Much has been made of Rose keeping the band name and the shockadelica media unanimously seem to agree that he alone is the bad guy. Because you can't carry an almost new line-up under the same name, see.

What? Okay, let's see then. Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Toto, KISS, Marillion, Iron Maiden, M?torhead, AC/DC. To name but a few. There's even a new guitarist and bass player in The Rolling Stones for those that really know their trivia. Hell, Black Sabbath made albums and toured without Ozzy. Remember?

Most people don't want to.

They just want to give Axl Rose a hard time.

That's headlines, that's easy street in journalism and that's money in the bank. This however also fueled by the main man happily living under the papparazzi radar for the last 13 years, and not giving interviews, not allowing photographers up front at gigs and not - basically - giving a single whistle. They hate that. They really do hate that.

There's a lot of dumbfounded and blatantly ignorant malice involved. On the path to some kind of constructive critisism the Danish media veered off course, with lame and laughable reviews not only getting songs wrong, but focusing on Rose's attire (and getting it wrong even) and some accusing him of having no voice anymore. Mindboggling idiocy. Beyond stupidity.

Well, isn't it fabulous that Rose could care less?

Amused and in seemingly great spirits this evening, Rose was talkative and made a few (quite hilarious) comments about his recent arrest - and blackmailed confession - for a scuffle with a "rent-a-cop" in Stockholm two days earlier. Clearly also in awe of playing this historic festival for the first time, Rose mentioned its fabled history and charity proceeds. He also managed to display some lighthearted and needed self-irony.

His mesmerizing voice intact, Axl however seemingly also wanted to showcase his comrades on this tour. Keyboardist Dizzy Reed ran elegantly and passionately through a rendition of David Bowie's "Ziggy Stardust".

While the band is exquisite rock n' roll to the ears, it's a circus extravaganza to the eyes. This becomes especially apparent when guitarist Ron Thal's introduction (by Rose) is straight out of Star Wars, and his foot-shaped bee guitar (go figure) breaks between his hands mid-solo on the left side of the stage. Not intentional. But it could have been. Later, he would redeem himself with a poignant instrumental of "Don't Cry" as 70,000 throats subbed for Rose.

By the sixth song, a refined, bluesy back-to-basics "Knocking on Heavens Door" with a lavish vocal from a game Rose, the crowd hits a frenzy. To constant chants of "Guns! And! Roses!", Axl comments with a shit-eating grin: "Hey, do that at all the other concerts here."

From a distance, the new band looks like a weird bunch of collectible action figures. As a musical unit, they exhibit a rare feel and musicianship. The latter blaringly obvious to anyone who's ever remotely played an instrument. Lead axe-man Finck is the vortex and the Slash-replacement. He's got an unadulterated hard-nosed but soft-souled style of play and nowhere is it more apparent than in the new songs. "Better" is built on a gorgeous, classic GN'R riff and it almost slipped right in alongside the classics tonight. The title song to the upcoming album - "Chinese Democracy" - is a grungy and punchy little nugget. These tunes went over well.

There were pauses between some songs, as the band either regrouped or - as they're known to do - chose the next song. Setlists are a fluctuating thing in the world of Guns N' Roses. This would sometimes make for some annoying breaks and for more fodder to the media conspiracy theorists - is Axl out of breath? Doing coke? Changing clothes? Yes, all of those things. Now shut up.

The streetwise rocker "Out Ta Get Me" from the 1987 debut album "Appetite for Destruction" could have been the highlight if not for the song that followed. On this beautiful Summer evening with a picture-perfect sunset, the best was yet to come. From stage left.

In rolls the grand piano and Axl Rose himself orchestrates a stunning "November Rain". Simply stunning. "This is a really long song... those lighters get really fucking hot don't they?", he acknowledges before the outro, the crowd going delirious.

Hot indeed. What a show. While some of the classics were played with grit and heart, others were stretched and greased a bit. Suited them well. "Nightrain" sounded to its name - a monstrous freight train - and showcloser "Paradise City" was more organic and convivial than in the old band version.

When Fortus and Finck duelled out a brave rendition of Christina Aguilera's "Beautiful", it was exactly the kind of both surprising - and intelligent - art-rockeau fun that personifies this new band. It also makes any form of reunion with the old members seem irrefragable.

This was a truly triumphant night for Guns N' Roses and the Roskilde Festival. Even more so for the main man, who's constant devilish smile maybe said it best after all.

An anniversary of sorts for this reporter - my tenth Roskilde Festival - I have never experienced a greater vibe in front of the ruthless Orange Stage. Not even Metallica in 2003. This stage normally eats bands for a living. Guns N' Roses looked right at home there and for just well over 2 hours, they brought their own little rock n' roll jungle to Roskilde.

by RF

Smiley

estranged2006
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #119 on: July 01, 2006, 06:31:17 AM »

cool. sounds like it was a good show!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: