Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:59:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The Warfield (Guns to play San Francisco) - Confirmed!
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Warfield (Guns to play San Francisco) - Confirmed!  (Read 8806 times)
Minneapolisnewsman
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2006, 05:11:07 PM »

The Warfield is going to be phenomenal--it holds about 1200-1600 people for a concert, depending upon the set-up.

http://www.bgspecialevents.com/Warfield.htm

Judge Dredd
VIP

Pretty Hate Machine

« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2006, 05:12:17 PM »

Wasn't this one of the three venues Guns played as a warm up to the UYI tour, along with clubs in New York and LA? Grin

http://www.gnrstrip.com/forum/

Give Peace A Chance...
patcooper
VIP

« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2006, 05:14:43 PM »

Wasn't this one of the three venues Guns played as a warm up to the UYI tour, along with clubs in New York and LA? Grin

yes it was
Judge Dredd
VIP

Pretty Hate Machine

« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2006, 05:15:46 PM »

^ Thought so. I think I have a review of it somewhere in my files. Grin

http://www.gnrstrip.com/forum/

Give Peace A Chance...
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2006, 05:18:59 PM »

Mysteron, can say whether or not this will be the approach for the whole tour, as far as doing theaters and not necessarily arenas?

Ali

All will be revealed soon

Man, you should work with Jack Bauer!? Grin? peace
You would make a great Top-secret agent? Tongue
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 05:22:07 PM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Skinflick
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2006, 05:23:20 PM »

Jack Bauer should wear a f'n cape!!!!!.....anyway....I am more interested in a release on a single or the album.....but this is still very cool...

NOW GO HOME AND GET YOUR FUCKIN' SHINEBOX!!!
leatherebel
VIP

Facts are the enemy of truth.

« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2006, 05:27:55 PM »

The Warfield is going to be phenomenal--it holds about 1200-1600 people for a concert, depending upon the set-up.

when i was there there were at least 4,000. it;s a horrible venue to be in the balcony...which holds most seats anyway. sorry.

"Asking Axl Rose what he thinks about critics is like asking a lamp post how it feels about dogs."
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2006, 05:29:12 PM »

It's really cool they are playing some smaller venues. I'm pretty sure something special will happend at these shows, at least at one of them.

well....  better don`t expect anything. that way you`ll be surprised IF something actually happens...

people were expecting something special for hammerstein (izzy was there....), rock in rio and the last shows of the tour. oh and hammersmith as well..  but we all know what happened there...  nothing ok

oh and mysteron...  i don`t like the word soon hihi    but i`m quite sure it`s the right word at the moment

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
Evolution
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2006, 05:38:28 PM »

It's pretty exciting how Guns N' Roses tours get announced. As a trickle here and there. It's kinda like a jigsaw.
killerbee_vr6
Opening Act

The lights they shine so bright

« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2006, 05:41:52 PM »

when i was there there were at least 4,000. it;s a horrible venue to be in the balcony...which holds most seats anyway. sorry.

How did they sell tickets for over double the capacity of the venue?

4/3/93 Sacramento
12/29/01 Las vegas
12/31/01 Las Vegas
9/20/06 SF
9/21/06 SF
mega_music
VIP

Chinese Democracy Is Coming Some Day!!!

« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2006, 05:44:58 PM »

Kick ass news!!!! I will still be holding out until they come back to the east coast... Damn its great to finally have good news with this band!

Chinese Democracy is Coming Someday
-Trevor-
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2006, 05:50:40 PM »

uggghhhhh 75-60 dollars for tickets , I can not afford that

*crys* Cry

You had about 15 years to save up money. That's how a bunch of us made it to several concerts on the European tour (5 in my case). Smiley

No truer words ever spoken.  I've had my wife hold back over the past few birthdays and Christmases...it looks like '06/'07 is the real deal.   beer   The Hammerstein was unbelievably awesome, just amazing.  Then I was jealous of the Europeans.  Now I'm jealous of the west coast U.S.  We East Coasters will have our time soon!   beer

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
flickn
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2006, 05:53:18 PM »

uggghhhhh 75-60 dollars for tickets , I can not afford that

*crys* Cry

You had about 15 years to save up money. That's how a bunch of us made it to several concerts on the European tour (5 in my case). Smiley

well.....megadeth is playing the oakland cloiseumn and tickets are only 45, godsmack is playing marysville and concord , the tickets are only 15 , i have a lot on my plate already
Kitty
Rocker

« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2006, 05:54:02 PM »

The warfield holds approximently 2,250-2,500 people for concerts.

9/20/06 9/21/06 12/15/06 2/10/12 2/12/12 2/15/12 10/20/12 10/21/12 11/2/12 11/3/12
Mutherfunker
555-Dr-Shoe
VIP

Axl Bundy

« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2006, 06:07:45 PM »

Looks like four warm up shows before a big kick off to the tour proper staring with the Inland Invasion. Am I right in thinking GN'R did some small shows with new material before UYI albums and then UYI tour?

@#$%Funker
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2006, 06:16:09 PM »

Looks like four warm up shows before a big kick off to the tour proper staring with the Inland Invasion. Am I right in thinking GN'R did some small shows with new material before UYI albums and then UYI tour?

@#$%Funker

They did, man.  They did.  I hope though, that this is more indicative of the size of shows they're going to be playing, unless they're playing a co-headlining tour or a lot of festivals. 

I say start small, let a buzz build with great shows and a great first single, then go in for the kill.

Ali
sandman
Legend

« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2006, 06:39:19 PM »

gnrontour.com has all (or most) of gnr's concerts over the years. here's a review from that site....

- Harry Sumrall, Mercury News Music, 5.11.91

Guns N' Roses is an odd group.

The ultra-metal quintet, which rampaged the charts in 1988 with its multi-platinum album "Appetite for Destruction," is scheduled to release not one but two new records of studio material, "Use Your Illusion I" and " . . . II." Odd.

And while it is one of the biggest groups in the country, it hasn't actually played in this country in three years. Odd.

And what does it do before heading out on its upcoming tour but play an unadvertised show at the Warfield Theater on Thursday, in what lead vocalist Axl Rose referred to as a "live rehearsal"? Very odd.

But oddest of all was the way it played at this show. This wasn't a performance as much as a brawl, with Rose and his companions storming and ranting onstage. The bulk of the material was new, so new that Rose sang to a TelePrompTer most of the time. And when he wasn't reading the words, he and his mates were hopping about and making in-jokes and dropping cues and acting like a group that had just dropped in from a garage.

In other words, it was a fine show indeed. One of a kind. Real nasty.

Yes, they did play a familiar song or two, such as "It's So Easy," and "Welcome to the Jungle," which they pounded into a fine powder with their crunching metal chords and slamming rhythms. But most of the rest, such as "Bad Obsession," were straight off the assembly line but just as ornery as the group's warhorses.

Along the way, they did a wonderfully mangled version of Paul McCartney's masterpiece James Bond theme "Live and Let Die," with Rose screeching the words. And guitarist Slash broke off a solo to play "Happy Birthday" as Rose pulled the group's new manager onstage.

What?

Along with the new manager and songs, the group also trotted out a new drummer, Matt Sorum, who was goosed with a timpani stick by bassist Duff "Rose" McKagan during a drum solo.

The capacity crowd loved the whole mess.

This wasn't the sleek, slick show that the group is certain to perform on its upcoming tour -- which makes its way to Shoreline Amphitheater on July 19. This was Guns N' Roses having some fun.

On "Civil War," Slash opened with a spare set of guitar phrases that were sloppy but thoroughly mesmerizing. His solo was ragged and raw but infused with intensity. Rose and the rest then slammed into the song with the same fervor. At the end of its nearly two-hour performance, Slash made a few remarks to the crowd in his usual manner, which is to say that every other word was a copulative adjective. "It's (bleep) great to be in (bleep) San Francisco . . . ," he said. And as he launched into the set's last song, he noted, "You'll know this one when you recognize it."

Right.

With that, he and the group slogged into a tremendous rendition of Bob Dylan's "Knockin' on Heaven's Door." It had all the subtlety of a sledge, with Slash and guitarist Izzy Stradlin' strumming the song's elegiac chords with a jittery grandeur and Rose yelling the words. Guns N' Roses performed it the way all good rockers should: flat out, no holds barred, give a (bleep), and take no prisoners.

What? That was this show in a coconut shell. It shouldn't have added up, but it did. It shouldn't have been good, but it was. If the tour is as good as this rehearsal, everyone should be happy.

Guns N' Roses appears Friday, July 19, at 8 p.m. at Shoreline Amphitheater. Tickets, at $22.50 and $25, go on sale today at 10 a.m.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: