Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 09:48:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227788 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  I'm looking for an Amp and need some Advice
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: I'm looking for an Amp and need some Advice  (Read 15476 times)
Neemo
Legend

« on: August 15, 2006, 02:24:29 PM »

Anybody got one of these Line6SpiderII amps? I'm n the market to buy an amp and i was looking at Roland or Marshall but now i've found these things...how are they and how do they sound compared to Roland and Marshall?

any help will be appreciated..thanks peace
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 01:31:59 PM by Neemo » Logged

robinfinckfan
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 05:42:13 PM »

actualy i just bought one today and am having it shipped from musicians friend. spider 2  1x12 75 watts

i have a friend who has the spider 1 and will have it buried with him when he dies. i've played it several times and it's a decent amp ( if you like modeling amps)  for the money so the spider 2 should be as well

it really depends on what kinda tone you wanna capture and what kind of guitar you have. the choices are endless and it's all based on personal prefference.
W 23 AXL II
VIP

I like A minor more so than C major

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 12:40:56 AM »

i tried the spiders when they first came out a few yrs back, and it was disgusting. maybe they got better???

if you're going to get a line 6, get a Line 6 POD or much better yet, get a Line 6 Flextone III 2x12 with floorboard. NOW THAT IS A REAL DEAL AMP THAT SOUNDS GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the spiders probably still kinda suck, but if its for your bedroom or garage, dont worry about it, it will be fine.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 09:53:55 AM »

hmm well thanks guys...I'm looking @ the 75 Watt one so please let em know how it is rff ok

I'm on a limited budget so i can't afford much more than $300 Sad and the Randal i want is the max of my price range and it's aournd that price but it's only a 30W amp

but of course i'm gonna play one before i buy it make sure it's what i want peace

W 23 AXL II
VIP

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 10:17:13 AM »

whats it for? live or recording/jamming at home?

regardless, id get the POD 2.0 ...its the ebst quality for the price. or get a small marshall 30 watt.....i just think the spiders sound bad, unless they have gotten a recent upgrade.

of course if u could find the money, get a FLEXTONE III 2 X 12
its AMAZING....every amp, every cabinet, every effect u could think of, and they sound great!!!
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 10:25:07 AM »

jamming at home?

yeah basically that or to bring to buddies houses now and again to play...just a hobby for me no gigging peace

W 23 AXL II
VIP

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 10:29:59 AM »

i guess the spider works then, it will be versatile, but im not sure you're going to get a really good sound out of it, but maybe that doesn't really matter to you. when i traded in my 4x12 marshall cabinet and head, i needed something that could compete, but i wanted something smaller. so i bought the flextone III, which is loud enough for stage, versatile, but sounds AMAZING!!!!

get the spider or a small marshall amp...at that price, they all kinda sound the same, just the spider gives u more versatility with different amps and fx
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 10:35:08 AM »

yeah the thing about the randall or the Spyder is that they can emulate a marshall....and the thing about the spyder over the Randall is it has 2 speakers instead of one and 75W instead of 30W so anyway i play around withthem in store when the time comes for me to buy it and i make a decision...but for sure i willtake your advice into consideration..thanks!! beer

TheMole
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2006, 10:39:02 AM »

The spider can sound pretty close to a marshall valvestate, but will always sound a little harsher to me. It's a pretty good amp, and sounds better than you'ld expect from it (seeing it's reputation). The spider II series are pretty descent sounding, and the range of amp models and effects is pretty impressive. I wouldn't trade my valvestate for it though.
W 23 AXL II
VIP

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2006, 10:54:40 AM »

yeah, i would get either a valvestate or a spider for the money you are looking for, but regardless, neither will sound really, really good. but they will be decent.

im a sucker for spending more and getting better though...
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2006, 11:05:38 AM »

yeah, i would get either a valvestate or a spider for the money you are looking for, but regardless, neither will sound really, really good. but they will be decent.

im a sucker for spending more and getting better though...

haha if i could i would...but i got an Epi instead of a Gibby..it's just what my budget allows right now...I'd also like to get a Vintage series Marshall head and cabnet and a Digitech GNX4, but yeah that's not in the cards right now hihi both in my playing ability or my bank account rofl

robinfinckfan
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2006, 05:48:28 PM »

line 6 spyder amps aren't as bad as everyone makes them out to be.

i won a flextone 3 2x12 on ebay but the guy never followed thru with anything so i just settled for the spyder2.
if ur wanting to sound like slash i'd say go gibson into marshall, i personaly like a little more distortion and fx so i like line 6. line6 pod xt is a def. must
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2006, 09:59:28 AM »

I played a Spyder II and a Marshall on Saturday...The line6 was good but after i plugged in the Marshall MG-series i was like wow this is so much better....but the marshall was $50 more and didn't have as many options....now I'm totally confused which way to go

I played 30 watt amps and you can't switch the digital effects on the MG-30 but you can on th e 30W spyderII and not only can you do that but you have the option of having 2 separte effect on or off on the spyder...it has a 4 channel footswitch that you can get for it...

the mg 30 only has the option for clean and overdrive...if i upgrade to the mg50 then i can switch it...but the marshall sounds like gravy it blows the line 6 out of the water....hmmmm I must contemplate...please any advice would be cool beer

TheMole
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2006, 04:20:49 PM »

the mg 30 only has the option for clean and overdrive...if i upgrade to the mg50 then i can switch it...but the marshall sounds like gravy it blows the line 6 out of the water....hmmmm I must contemplate...please any advice would be cool beer

If that's what you think, it should be obvious: get the marshall, and get the mg50 if at all possible at that. Sound is everything, you can have all the effects in the world, but if your base sound isn't all that, you're screwed. You can always add a pod or bose effects set later on when new funds arrise Smiley.
alexh0618
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2006, 04:39:34 PM »

The effects don't really matter. You will not be using them as much as you think you will. The only effect that you will need at first is a decent wah pedal.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2006, 08:45:05 PM »

I want chorus the most Wink

robinfinckfan
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2006, 08:52:27 PM »

ok i got the spider2 last thursday. i do alot of recording so for that it's great. good distortion on the insane setting, tweak the drive a bit. it's got a direct out which is bonus.

downsides if you don't get the floorboard the fx are pretty much useless if ur away from the amp.

i run a boss br900/dr770 a tritan studio keyboard and bass thru a 8 ch. mixer plus mic and guitar and the line 6 sounded great. so far i'm happy with it.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2006, 12:56:37 PM »

thanks man!! Cheesy

W 23 AXL II
VIP

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2006, 01:17:52 PM »

neemo...get the line 6...just not a spyder....id get either a pod (cheaper) and use your computer as monitors, or get even a Line 6 Flextone III 1x12, not as much as u'd think. worth saving n saving until u can get something quality. thats a hard lesson i learned.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2006, 04:27:27 PM »

yeah i actually think I'm gonna go with a marshall..at least that's where I'm at right now... nervous I'm not getting it until decemberish so I'm sure my mind will change a few more times at least hihi

I also think I'm gonna up my $$$ for the amp and go $500 instead of $300

that'll net me a Marshall MG-50 with the 2 button footswitch to change clean/overdrive and the digital effects on and off.

but I'm gonna go back and play a few more amps and check out the line6 again and yeah...I don't wanna buy another amp so i wanna make sure that the one i get is "The One"

and please people keep posting your favs and shit in here cuz I'll try it if it is recommended by ya's Wink

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: