Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 01:54:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228058 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Being axl said this year why not give a release date at the vmas?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Being axl said this year why not give a release date at the vmas?  (Read 27109 times)
lennonisgod
VIP

TWAT

« Reply #160 on: September 06, 2006, 12:06:49 PM »

I think 400k tops, but I was saying who is waiting anxiously for this album not who will buy it,.. People who will buy it is different then those on the edge of their seats chomping at the bit.. With the age of downloading I think 1 million units is a bit much..

This conversation about the release date, is the most repetitive conversation in the history of the board. This specific topic is a good one though (not really speculation on the date) and really doesn't have a right or a wrong answer.  People above were saying, "Why would Axl give a release date during an interview that will only be showed online, etc??" That's true, but I also think that even if this was an interview that was telivised after the VMA's, I still don't think Axl would have given a date. He MAY not know an exact date yet because as people above have said, the EXACT date really isn't his choice.  The thing that worries me and we go through this every single fucking year almost, is that the 4th quarter and  fiscal year, don't end until March (31st I think??).  It is only the beginning of September right now, so we have 4 months until 2007. If the album was coming out in November, which I think is the biggest month for album releases during the year, don't you think promotion for the album should be starting now or very soon?? I hope the people promoting this album do a great job and REALLY care about this band. There are some big bands out there that constantly get SHIT promotion and just because this album cost a ton of money to make, doesn't mean the promotion WILL BE "out of this world."  Who fucking knows anyway??

Just to make a quick comment on the conversation above, is that 1 Million sold in the first week worldwide?? I'm not too familiar with worldwide sales figures, but I think it would probably do a lot more than that in it's first week around the world, so I'm sure you are speaking of a specific location.  I live in the U.S. and I think 400,000-500,000 albums in the first week (sold here) sounds accurate. A million albums sold in the first week in the U.S. alone though, is laughable.  Unless of course they release the most kick ass single that anyone has heard in years, which in turn will get a ton of NEW fans to go out and buy the album. I know a lot of people that love GNR but out of those people, I only think 1 or 2 would actually go out and buy the new album, especially in it's first week.  This area has a ton of Guns N' Roses fans, but the majority of people hate Axl. I don't know how many times I find myself sticking up for the guy and what he's doing with this band. They ALL say the same fucking thing, "I hate Axl Rose but I love Slash." Everybody thinks Axl is the bad guy, which he very well may be, but that just depends on who you believe. Also, downloading WILL hurt the sales of this album, just like it does with every other album out there.  I was just thinking though, VR sold roughly 250,000 albums in it's first week and ended up at #1 on the billboard chart here in America. For GN'R to double that, without a jaw dropping first single, should be easy. As I said though, that first single is so important to this album and I hope it's something fucking crazy. They might even have two singles by the time CD is released though, depending on whether it does indeed come out in 2006.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 12:09:07 PM by lennonisgod » Logged

Social class and registers, Cocaine in the hall, All the way from California...
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #161 on: September 06, 2006, 12:12:27 PM »

^good analogy but i doubt that they will do much better than VR...in fact i say right around the same figures as contraband maybe a tad worse.

i think the main reason why Axl didn't give a release date at the VMA's is because it wasn';t the place to and he was there for the killer's not for GnR....it's not like he was gonna go GnR album is due in store's on this day oh yeah check out the killers...and the behind the scenes internet interview for 30 seconds? yeah right...it's be a press release just like all other GnR albums have been in the past peace

« Reply #162 on: September 06, 2006, 12:12:36 PM »

I just remembered this, so I have to dump it here:

Marilyn Manson's last album "Golden Age of  Grotesque" debuted at #1 on Billboard with something like 110,000 sales. So timing is pretty essential, marketing-wise. Debuting on a weak release week, you can have horrible sales figures and still have the #1 album in the country.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #163 on: September 06, 2006, 12:22:01 PM »

billboard is bullshit...does anybody really care what they have to say? nobody i know does, i think people around here are much to concerned with placement in sales as opoosed to musical quality. My favorite album of the last 2 years i don't even think made a showing on billboard, Black Label Society - Mafia, music first please, I'll worry about sales figures after i decide if it's a good release or not thanks

« Reply #164 on: September 06, 2006, 12:24:14 PM »

Black Label Society

Off-topic; The first two BLS albums and the live one were greatness.
Skinflick
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #165 on: September 06, 2006, 12:55:47 PM »

^good analogy but i doubt that they will do much better than VR...in fact i say right around the same figures as contraband maybe a tad worse.

i think the main reason why Axl didn't give a release date at the VMA's is because it wasn';t the place to and he was there for the killer's not for GnR....it's not like he was gonna go GnR album is due in store's on this day oh yeah check out the killers...and the behind the scenes internet interview for 30 seconds? yeah right...it's be a press release just like all other GnR albums have been in the past peace

No way......the GNR name alone will sell albums. Teenagers all over the place are NEW GNR fans.....It is going to BURY everything......trust me.....Album sales with the GNR name + Axl + good songs= PRICELESS......just be patient my friends.........and also....VR was such a disappointment. Wyland can't sing in rythme with creativity and melody on more than one song "slither" anymore....That album was laughable.... peace

NOW GO HOME AND GET YOUR FUCKIN' SHINEBOX!!!
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #166 on: September 06, 2006, 01:02:18 PM »

No way......the GNR name alone will sell albums. Teenagers all over the place are NEW GNR fans.....It is going to BURY everything......trust me.....Album sales with the GNR name + Axl + good songs= PRICELESS......just be patient my friends.........and also....VR was such a disappointment. Wyland can't sing in rythme with creativity and melody on more than one song "slither" anymore....That album was laughable.... peace

Big fan of scott huh? you must know everything about him, you can't even spell his name properly Roll Eyes

people know slash is out of GnR and in VR, sales are bound to dissappoint those with a mindset like yours, at least until the material is heard and judged solely on the music not the members peace

somebody said earlier that half are Axl fans Half are slash fans...prolly a pretty good estimate IMO, again I say don't expect much more than VR type sales

Big Gun
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #167 on: September 06, 2006, 01:12:41 PM »

new gnr playing(rippin off) old gnr (songs) thats laughable

Please don?t put your life in the hands
Of a rock and roll band
And throw it all away
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #168 on: September 06, 2006, 01:17:26 PM »

billboard is bullshit...does anybody really care what they have to say? nobody i know does, i think people around here are much to concerned with placement in sales as opoosed to musical quality. My favorite album of the last 2 years i don't even think made a showing on billboard, Black Label Society - Mafia, music first please, I'll worry about sales figures after i decide if it's a good release or not thanks

Billboard is pretty much the way the record companies measure success. I'm not saying it's right, it's just the way it is.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #169 on: September 06, 2006, 01:39:00 PM »

Billboard is pretty much the way the record companies measure success. I'm not saying it's right, it's just the way it is.

i understand that, but I'm not record companies Wink

Skinflick
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #170 on: September 06, 2006, 01:42:51 PM »

Big fan of scott huh? you must know everything about him, you can't even spell his name properly Roll Eyes

people know slash is out of GnR and in VR, sales are bound to dissappoint those with a mindset like yours, at least until the material is heard and judged solely on the music not the members peace

somebody said earlier that half are Axl fans Half are slash fans...prolly a pretty good estimate IMO, again I say don't expect much more than VR type sales
Shit...I spelled his name wrong? ?sorry dude.....I have always been a fan of Scott and Slash....I hope they do well. But VR was disappointing. ya know...THE MUSIC. I don't give a hot fuck what they say about each other....They don't pay my ?fuckin' bills. A lot of people I know feel VR was disappointing... and they HATE Axl. ?peace

NOW GO HOME AND GET YOUR FUCKIN' SHINEBOX!!!
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #171 on: September 06, 2006, 02:53:29 PM »

i understand that, but I'm not record companies Wink

No shit?? Thanks for the info bro, I thought you were the CEO of Neemo Records or something.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
axlslover
« Reply #172 on: September 06, 2006, 03:06:48 PM »

he did not give a date because he doesnt have one, i doubt that it will be released this year, imo
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #173 on: September 06, 2006, 03:09:56 PM »

No shit?? Thanks for the info bro, I thought you were the CEO of Neemo Records or something.

that company doesn't exist...your fibbing Tongue

What i was trying to get at is i really doubt that the vast majority of members here has anything to do with a record company...therefore i don't see why people should really care how it sells Wink

crofty
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #174 on: September 06, 2006, 03:25:53 PM »

I think that axl knows if he says a date then the album doesn't drop he'll be crucified. I dont think he'll say a date till EVERYTHING's finalised, failing that not till they're loading them on the trucks to the shop. imagine if he said say october 24th and something out of his control happened, and we had another sorry, it's not coming out for another month. even if it did drop then, people would be pissed. better to make a promise he can keep.
Either that or they were sure it would be out say november-december time, but not sure of an actual date.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #175 on: September 06, 2006, 03:50:20 PM »

What i was trying to get at is i really doubt that the vast majority of members here has anything to do with a record company...i don't see why people should really care how it sells

I thought they were mostly interscope employees... Shocked

Joking aside, amen to that.
A music fan would focus on if they like the content of a record or not first and worry about what their friends and then the world (the charts/ billboard) think of it second.

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #176 on: September 06, 2006, 04:53:24 PM »

Because it was the lowest rated VMA's EVER.  Not even Axl could save the day, although that was certainly the only highlight for me.  I kinda like Jack Black so I had some hopes but that was just not good.  Anyway, the release date may not be finalized yet or maybe they're trying to keep it as tight-lipped as possible.  4 songs have been leaked already, I'm sure they'd like to sell a few copies instead of everyone downloading from the internet. 

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #177 on: September 07, 2006, 10:09:52 AM »

that company doesn't exist...your fibbing Tongue

What i was trying to get at is i really doubt that the vast majority of members here has anything to do with a record company...therefore i don't see why people should really care how it sells Wink

I gotcha. I agree with you on the sales thing. I've posted before that I honestly could care less how well the album sells. If I like it thats all that matters to me.

I think some people are GNR or "classic" GNR fans because they think it's cool. Like being a Yankees fan or something, it's a thing thats already a legend you know? I like GNR because I love the music (including all the new stuff I've heard), so I don't care if it sells 10 or 10000000 as long as I get it and like it.

Adler_Sorum_Brain
Rocker

Look at the lies Slash is leading

« Reply #178 on: September 07, 2006, 12:01:31 PM »

the thing is, CD has costed the record company ..what ??...Millions ? ( or less )

The album will sell great ( because of the name, but i will buy it for the songs Wink )

But it?s 2006, and in 2006..people download

the album won?t make the money?s worth ( The money the record company been given Axl )

As the dust settled, Axl stared unblinkingly at me and, with no hint of irony, summed up GN?R?s philosophy: ?We don?t start anything. But if you mess with us, then we?ll fuck you up!
« Reply #179 on: September 07, 2006, 02:21:24 PM »

the thing is, CD has costed the record company ..what ??...Millions ? ( or less )

the album won?t make the money?s worth ( The money the record company been given Axl )

The album will make it's money back easily.  Even if the 13/14 million dollar production cost was accurate (which seems incredibly unlikely) they'd only need to sell about 750,000 copies worldwide to recoup it (They must have made that money back three or four times over with the greatest hits cd alone, so in reality GNR are already out of the doghouse).
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: