Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:01:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227784 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Connecticut Promoter Bashes GnR's Reliability
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Connecticut Promoter Bashes GnR's Reliability  (Read 5813 times)
NickNasty
Tha Nastiest
VIP

Alive.

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2006, 09:55:33 AM »

I think there's at least a glimmer of hope we'll get a CT date.   And if not, there's always Albany or NYC or Boston or Worcester or Amherst or Springfield (depending on where they decide play) all within relatively easy travel distance.

Man, I'd kill for them to play Amherst or Springfield---I'd rather drive 10 minutes or a half hour respectively then across-state...but i still say the most likely new england date is the tdbanknorth garden, with the civic center in hartford a distant second possiblity.

---Nick Nasty--

Boston, MA 12/2/02          Worcester, MA 11/8/06

Dublin, Ireland 6/9/06       E. Rutherford, NJ 7/23/2016
veritas55
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2006, 10:01:13 AM »

koplik was not very positive when asked if he would deal with Axl again.

gee, I wonder why . . . .  not to mention the overtime fees, which the promoter often has to swallow.
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2006, 10:05:28 AM »

When I read the topic I thought this was just going to be a statement of 'yeah the promoter just talked shit about how reliable Axl is... oh well'.  But then the poster called the promoter an asshole.  This guy stands to lose hundreds of thousands of dollars on booking concerts.  If I lived in CT I would be dissapointed to hear that, but to get angry at the guy and call him an asshole because of it is just ludicrous.  I think the guy has a valid argument.  Now if this was 1991 again and GNR was the biggest band in the world then he would have no choice and would have to take the risk. 
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2006, 10:22:19 AM »

When I read the topic I thought this was just going to be a statement of 'yeah the promoter just talked shit about how reliable Axl is... oh well'.  But then the poster called the promoter an asshole.  This guy stands to lose hundreds of thousands of dollars on booking concerts.  If I lived in CT I would be dissapointed to hear that, but to get angry at the guy and call him an asshole because of it is just ludicrous.  I think the guy has a valid argument.  Now if this was 1991 again and GNR was the biggest band in the world then he would have no choice and would have to take the risk. 

At the end of the day, this is just another person looking to gain attention by mentioning Axls name.

Like I said before it just perpetuates the idea that Axl and GNR are still dangerous. That's what rock & roll is about so that's fine with me.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
WAR41
VIP

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2006, 11:08:04 AM »

When I read the topic I thought this was just going to be a statement of 'yeah the promoter just talked shit about how reliable Axl is... oh well'.? But then the poster called the promoter an asshole.? This guy stands to lose hundreds of thousands of dollars on booking concerts.? If I lived in CT I would be dissapointed to hear that, but to get angry at the guy and call him an asshole because of it is just ludicrous.? I think the guy has a valid argument.? Now if this was 1991 again and GNR was the biggest band in the world then he would have no choice and would have to take the risk.?

At the end of the day, this is just another person looking to gain attention by mentioning Axls name.

Like I said before it just perpetuates the idea that Axl and GNR are still dangerous. That's what rock & roll is about so that's fine with me.

Or maybe he was asked if GNR was going to play in CT and he responded to the question  Huh For some reason I find it hard to believe that some guy would get on the radio and come out and say 'oh yeah, and all you people living in CT, GNR aren't playing here because of what Axl did in the early 90's to me!'.  I would be willing to put money on the fact that he was not the one to bring up GNR in the interview. 
jimb0
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2006, 11:21:58 AM »

The CT venues are shitholes anyways, gnr shouldnt even play CT.

GNR Should play CT, cuz I want to see them. 
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2006, 11:40:49 AM »

Or maybe he was asked if GNR was going to play in CT and he responded to the question  Huh For some reason I find it hard to believe that some guy would get on the radio and come out and say 'oh yeah, and all you people living in CT, GNR aren't playing here because of what Axl did in the early 90's to me!'.  I would be willing to put money on the fact that he was not the one to bring up GNR in the interview. 

Hopefully someone has the audio to prove it one way or the other. I know Ozzy, Trent, Scott and everyone else who mentions Axl and GNR bring it up on their own so I wouldn't find it too hard to believe that this guy did too.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2006, 12:33:01 PM »

I'm not sure where the OP heard it.? I also can't comment on how things go now, because since getting Sirius Satellite radio back in Jan, I've listened to maybe 10 min of WCCC (106.9). However the segement (which used to air every Friday during Mike Karolyi's show) was called "10 Concert Questions with Koplik" (Karolyi does his own version, "10 Concert Questions with Karolyi" Mon - Thurs) and was, in fact, listener call in.? So, Koplik probably WAS answering a phone in question, though it could also have been a Karolyi direct question, since GnR used to get asked about a fair bit on his shows and I'm sure he's heard about the US dates cropping up.

That being said, just a couple of comments:

1) I talked with Koplik, personally, after the '02 tour and he basically said the exact same thing to me, at the time.? All things considered, and given how the '02 tour ended....he had no interest in ever bringing them back to CT.?

2) Back before the '06 Euro tour started, and just before the Hammerstein shows went on sale, I emailed Karolyi to have him ask Koplik about this, again (since I don't have much direct contact with Koplik).? He did, and Koplik, once again, said pretty much exactly what you're reading at the start of this thread.

3) There is more than enough evidence on Koplik being an asshole, at times.? He'll admit it, himself, especially when dealing with certain acts, or certain types of acts.? He also freely admits it costs him money to be an asshole, but he does it because he doesn't like to deal with the "hassle" of some acts, regardless of the gate they'd turn.? And for those that say "if GnR were the biggest band in the world, he'd book him".....it's not true.? This is the guy who, pretty much, "banned" Dave Matthews, during the DMB's heyday, from CT for a time (because of some bad behavior by a group of tailgaters before a DMB show), and refused to book acts like The Greatful Dead into some CT venues for the LONGEST time.?

Edit: Here's the email I sent back in March (I can forward it to jarmo, if anyone really wants it validated):

To: "Pilferk At"
Subject: RE: Guns n Roses Help
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 09:40:53 -0500

It is BS.

Koplik is not interested in having them in CT.? sorry.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2006 8:24 AM
To: Mike Karolyi
Subject: RE: Guns n Roses Help

Hey Mike!

There's another "rumor" going around that an "official" GnR single has been sent out to the radio stations.? Anchorage, Alaska (yes, ALASKA) and Columbus, Ohio have both reportedly had jocks confirm this (though they can't play it yet, I guess).? Me...I think it's BS.? I'm just wondering if you guys over at WCCC have gotten a single from the label or not.? And if you have, could you give me any info on it like song title, etc?

Oh, and did you ever get a chance to ask Koplik about any stateside GnR dates for the fall?

Thanks man!

Pilferk

« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 12:41:16 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2006, 12:48:58 PM »

I think there's at least a glimmer of hope we'll get a CT date.? ?And if not, there's always Albany or NYC or Boston or Worcester or Amherst or Springfield (depending on where they decide play) all within relatively easy travel distance.

Man, I'd kill for them to play Amherst or Springfield---I'd rather drive 10 minutes or a half hour respectively then across-state...but i still say the most likely new england date is the tdbanknorth garden, with the civic center in hartford a distant second possiblity.

I could see them playing the Mullins Center, for sure.? It's a great venue, though I'm not sure playing a "college venue" would be the best demographic...but who knows.

I saw Green Day play there not too too long ago.? It was a very good show!? Plenty big enough venue for GnR.

I think Harbor Yard, in Bridgeport, would be a good fit, too.  You pull some of the NYC demo, plus CT, plus some NY state people...and it only seats about 7500 for end stage, I think.  Which, depending on whether there is any new material or not, seems to be a nice number for GnR right now.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 12:53:27 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
WAR41
VIP

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2006, 12:55:04 PM »

3) There is more than enough evidence on Koplik being an asshole, at times.? He'll admit it, himself, especially when dealing with certain acts, or certain types of acts.? He also freely admits it costs him money to be an asshole, but he does it because he doesn't like to deal with the "hassle" of some acts, regardless of the gate they'd turn.? And for those that say "if GnR were the biggest band in the world, he'd book him".....it's not true.? This is the guy who, pretty much, "banned" Dave Matthews, during the DMB's heyday, from CT for a time (because of some bad behavior by a group of tailgaters before a DMB show), and refused to book acts like The Greatful Dead into some CT venues for the LONGEST time.?

That is nuts for two reasons.  One is that he is willing to turn down that much money at the gate to make sure he has no hassles and two is that he has that much power to decide who plays and who doesnt!  That is kind of scary to think about. 
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2006, 01:01:52 PM »

That is nuts for two reasons.? One is that he is willing to turn down that much money at the gate to make sure he has no hassles and two is that he has that much power to decide who plays and who doesnt!? That is kind of scary to think about.?

Nuts, but true.  Mostly because Koplik is THE promoter in CT.  There just aren't many other promoters who work in the state.  There's a few (most notably there's an outfit out of NY State...they did the Judas Priest concert out of Harbor Yard back in '05...which, evidently, pissed off Koplik so much that he talked most of the Hartford Radio stations into NOT promoting it heavily), but not many.  He really does have a stranglehold on much of the concert business, and with his exclusivity on the Dodge and the Chevy....it handcuffs many other promoters who want "in" to CT.

I've also been told (and I won't get specific) that Koplik plays hardball with any promoters he sees as "coming into his territory", and with bands/venues/radio stations that go "around" him.  That's mostly rumor and gossip, so I don't know how much credence to lend it, but given his almost mafia like stranglehold in this state (and no, I'm not suggesting he has any ties to the mafia...it's just a metaphor).....it wouldn't surprise me if it was true.

Together again,
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: