Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 02, 2024, 10:48:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227992 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Why doesnt GNR tour with another HUGE Band----
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why doesnt GNR tour with another HUGE Band----  (Read 14346 times)
jazjme
Can't get over the past? Let me be your guide!
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2006, 12:47:34 AM »

there are top many post to respon to here, so Ill jsut add a 2 cents thing. When I was growing up, in the 80s, I loved U2(still do), but it was GNRS, as I think Bono said in your face attitude thatI gravitated towards, moreso. Personally Id love to see Bono and Axl onstage together. BUt thruth is the bands are so far from each other, but now follow me, may not be so far off, once we get and finally digest CD. BUt asfar as being real and knowing all these things over the yrs, it is an absolute truth, that outside us here debating day in and day out GNR< for the vast public goin to shows, GNR is new to them or thier perception has been changed, I think GNR have done a huge leap and bound this yr, with converting fans, that thought they were a joke, and all the axl bashing, I rather think that Axl and BOno are probably if not friends, but at least cordial to each other with no beefs.

Both repected, and BONO moreso Id say for sheer yrs of always being there and outside porjects. Axl for sheer mystery, crazy brillance, and uncompromising desire do things the way he envisions. Both bands have a huge fan base no doubt. BUT to say this is a matchup that would go one way or the other I find skewd. lol

Cause at the end of the day, when it comes to tix for a hypathedical show bill like this, is what fans get to the presale first, and who gets tix.lol So myabe it could coexist!

10.16.87 10.23.87 10.30.87 1.31.88 2.2.88 5.9.88 8.16.88 9.15.88
6.17.91 12.9.91 12.10.91,12.13.91
7.18.92 12.5.02 5.12.06 5.14.06 5.15.06 5.17.06 11.17.11 2.10.12 2.15.12
11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2006, 12:48:04 AM »

but I personally think Pink Floyd's performance at Live 8 blows away pretty much every live performance I've ever seen. And I only saw that one on DVD. I can't imagine how awesome it would have been to have seen it live.

I am with you 600% on that. I was never a Pink Floyd fan really before that, but wanted to watch it that day because it was one of those things you knew was historical. Just watching it live on TV you could feel the energy there, even if it was only 4 songs. To a man most Pink Floyd fans would tell you that seeing Roger on the stage with them again surpassed the excitement and energy of anything else the guys had done for the previous 25 years since they had broken up. I only hope after they get their solo stuff out of their system this year that maybe they take up one of those promoters on the 200 million dollar offer to do a tour.

Yeah, same here. I really wasn't much of a fan of theirs other than "Money" and "Another Brick In The Wall Pt. 2," but holy crap I was simply blown away in particular by "Wish You Were Here" and ESPECIALLY "Comfortably Numb." The entire band just freakin' OWNED "Comfortably Numb" during that performance, with the standout being how unbelievable Gilmour played the solo. It was simply amazing. The only reason I even saw the DVD was because my sister wanted it for a Christmas present. So I got it for her and we watched it one day, and I was simply blown away. Pink Floyd went from being not even in my top 25 bands of all-time to easily being top 5 just based on that one performance.

There's a reason that Pink Floyd was offered $200 million to do a tour, and it ain't just because they're a legendary band. It has more to do with the fact that at Live 8, they showed they are without doubt the best live band ever even today in their "old" age.
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2006, 12:51:33 AM »

I've got a band that blows them away live. You're biased as hell towards U2, but I personally think Pink Floyd's performance at Live 8 blows away pretty much every live performance I've ever seen. And I only saw that one on DVD. I can't imagine how awesome it would have been to have seen it live. U2, meanwhile, didn't impress me much at Live 8 to be honest. They were really good, no doubt, but Pink Floyd fuckin' blew them straight out of the water (and that was with a band that hadn't played together in 20 frickin' years!!!!). Pink Floyd owns all when it comes to live shows. Led Zeppelin is the only thing that even comes close. U2 is probably the best of all the bands out there right now, but Pink Floyd in just 4 songs blew away anything live I've ever heard/seen.

Fair enough. I agree with you on the Live 8 thing. But keep in mind U2 Opened the show in broad daylight where as Pink Floyd played at night with full lights and everything.  Also U2 played the hit singleat the time(vertigo) One and Beautiful day. It was all very moment appropriate, nt so much ment to blow everyone away. You telling me the Pink Floyd performance wasn't ment to blow people away? Tell me this, had Pink Floyd played in U2's spot and vice versa what would you be saying? Probably not much Smiley You put U2 in the same time slot as pink Floy at Live 8 and have them crank out Where the Streets have no name with full light sow and you might change your mind. Maybe not though. U2 in concert on their own is an entirely different thing. I'm not taking anything away from Pink Floyd. It was amazing but  there was also the hype surrounding their performance and the fact that it was at night that no doubt adds to the appeal. I think you could make an arguement for Pink Floyd over U2 as far as live shows go though. they are legendary when it comes to that, but they aren't around now so it's irrelevant at this point. Zeppelin though? I don't think so.

Dude, I couldn't care less about the atmosphere. I was NOT a Pink Floyd fan before watching the DVD. I only watched it because I bought it for my sister as a Christmas present and she wanted me to watch it. I didn't even know it was a big deal that they were getting back together. What blew me away was the TECHNICAL VIRTUOSITY of the band, especially David Gilmour. The guy is 60+ years old and played 30 year old songs fuckin' PERFECT, and his VOICE is still in great shape even at his age. Absolutely unbelievable in my opinion. Seriously, I recorded the songs from the DVD and listen to them all the time on my iPod or computer just for the sound quality and virtuosity of it. I've never heard a band play songs that well in a live setting.
Bono
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2006, 12:54:58 AM »

but I personally think Pink Floyd's performance at Live 8 blows away pretty much every live performance I've ever seen. And I only saw that one on DVD. I can't imagine how awesome it would have been to have seen it live.

I am with you 600% on that. I was never a Pink Floyd fan really before that, but wanted to watch it that day because it was one of those things you knew was historical. Just watching it live on TV you could feel the energy there, even if it was only 4 songs. To a man most Pink Floyd fans would tell you that seeing Roger on the stage with them again surpassed the excitement and energy of anything else the guys had done for the previous 25 years since they had broken up. I only hope after they get their solo stuff out of their system this year that maybe they take up one of those promoters on the 200 million dollar offer to do a tour.

Yeah, same here. I really wasn't much of a fan of theirs other than "Money" and "Another Brick In The Wall Pt. 2," but holy crap I was simply blown away in particular by "Wish You Were Here" and ESPECIALLY "Comfortably Numb." The entire band just freakin' OWNED "Comfortably Numb" during that performance, with the standout being how unbelievable Gilmour played the solo. It was simply amazing. The only reason I even saw the DVD was because my sister wanted it for a Christmas present. So I got it for her and we watched it one day, and I was simply blown away. Pink Floyd went from being not even in my top 25 bands of all-time to easily being top 5 just based on that one performance.

There's a reason that Pink Floyd was offered $200 million to do a tour, and it ain't just because they're a legendary band. It has more to do with the fact that at Live 8, they showed they are without doubt the best live band ever even today in their "old" age.

See right there shows my point. they played their classic tunes in a setting which nobody could really compete with on that day. the first performance in over two decades of classic Pink Floyd tunes with a full light show at night and a crwod of what... 200 000. Now give U2 that chance and let them play their classics: Where the Streets Have No Name, Bad, Walk On and Love and Peace or Else(a new song but it'd rock the place). Your comparison would be more fairly matched and it'd be a lot closer than you might think. ok
Brody
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2006, 12:55:23 AM »

U2 and Gn'R would not work. Two cmpletely different vibes. A Gn'R show is an in your face dirty rock show where after it's over you feel like kicking some ass. U2 is more on a spiritual level and is a much more uplifting feeling where after it's over you feel like making a difference in the world hihi They just would not go together. Plus U2 sell out stadiums in minutes by themselves. Also Gn'R would? have to be the opening band without a doubt. Would Axl go for that? Be honest here, nobody can seriously think U2 at this point in the game is an opening act for anybody. Not even The Stones. They'd simply blow them off stage. I've seen both U2 and Gn'R within the last year and it would honestly have to be this way. The good thing is it would force Axl to hit the stage on time hihi? ?Personally it'd be the greatest thing that could happen in my lifetime hihi but I honestly don't see how it could work.

Sorry but they would have to open for the stones.. As big as you think U2 is/they are. Theyre not as big as the stones.
jazjme
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2006, 12:57:37 AM »

I've got a band that blows them away live. You're biased as hell towards U2, but I personally think Pink Floyd's performance at Live 8 blows away pretty much every live performance I've ever seen. And I only saw that one on DVD. I can't imagine how awesome it would have been to have seen it live. U2, meanwhile, didn't impress me much at Live 8 to be honest. They were really good, no doubt, but Pink Floyd fuckin' blew them straight out of the water (and that was with a band that hadn't played together in 20 frickin' years!!!!). Pink Floyd owns all when it comes to live shows. Led Zeppelin is the only thing that even comes close. U2 is probably the best of all the bands out there right now, but Pink Floyd in just 4 songs blew away anything live I've ever heard/seen.

Fair enough. I agree with you on the Live 8 thing. But keep in mind U2 Opened the show in broad daylight where as Pink Floyd played at night with full lights and everything.  Also U2 played the hit singleat the time(vertigo) One and Beautiful day. It was all very moment appropriate, nt so much ment to blow everyone away. You telling me the Pink Floyd performance wasn't ment to blow people away? Tell me this, had Pink Floyd played in U2's spot and vice versa what would you be saying? Probably not much Smiley You put U2 in the same time slot as pink Floy at Live 8 and have them crank out Where the Streets have no name with full light sow and you might change your mind. Maybe not though. U2 in concert on their own is an entirely different thing. I'm not taking anything away from Pink Floyd. It was amazing but  there was also the hype surrounding their performance and the fact that it was at night that no doubt adds to the appeal. I think you could make an arguement for Pink Floyd over U2 as far as live shows go though. they are legendary when it comes to that, but they aren't around now so it's irrelevant at this point. Zeppelin though? I don't think so.

Dude, I couldn't care less about the atmosphere. I was NOT a Pink Floyd fan before watching the DVD. I only watched it because I bought it for my sister as a Christmas present and she wanted me to watch it. I didn't even know it was a big deal that they were getting back together. What blew me away was the TECHNICAL VIRTUOSITY of the band, especially David Gilmour. The guy is 60+ years old and played 30 year old songs fuckin' PERFECT, and his VOICE is still in great shape even at his age. Absolutely unbelievable in my opinion. Seriously, I recorded the songs from the DVD and listen to them all the time on my iPod or computer just for the sound quality and virtuosity of it. I've never heard a band play songs that well in a live setting.

this isnt a pink floyd thread, but I agree floyd has to be probably the most sonically sounding , and best shows I have ever seen, and I saw them 7 times, live. BUt its not the  same as GNR, its a differnt athmosphere, ...my dream festival and literally in no order, would be GNR, Floyd, U2, Aerosmith, and GENISIS.ys I loved them live they rocked.

11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2006, 12:58:10 AM »

See right there shows my point. they played their classic tuens in a setting which nobody oculd really compete with on that day. the first performance in over two decades of classic Pink Floyd tunes with a full light show at night and a crwod of what... 200 000. Now give U2 that chance and let them play their classics: Where the Streets Have No Name, Bad, Walk On and Love and Peace or Else(a new song but it'd rock the place). Your comparison would be more fairly matched and it'd be a lot closer than you might think. ok

No it wouldn't. From what I've heard, the Edge isn't anywhere near as good of a live guitarist as David Gilmour. Pink Floyd's greatness in live shows is based mainly on their virtuosity (aka playing the songs PERFECTLY), whereas U2 combines Bono's energy level with a fair amount of virtuosity (kind of like GN'R back in the day, but U2 being better in the virtuosity department...Axl in his heyday was more exciting than Bono though). Pink Floyd didn't even have a full light show going on, and guess what, the atmosphere has ZERO effect on how well the songs are played man. I couldn't care less about the atmosphere. U2 opened Live 8, did they not? Was the crowd not jacked to see the beginning of the concert series? It works both ways, and like I said, I care more about how well the songs were played than anything else. If it's played fucking awesome, it's played fucking awesome and nothing I've seen or heard of any band matches what Pink Floyd did at Live 8.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 01:00:41 AM by GNRfan2008 » Logged
Bono
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2006, 01:04:05 AM »

U2 and Gn'R would not work. Two cmpletely different vibes. A Gn'R show is an in your face dirty rock show where after it's over you feel like kicking some ass. U2 is more on a spiritual level and is a much more uplifting feeling where after it's over you feel like making a difference in the world hihi They just would not go together. Plus U2 sell out stadiums in minutes by themselves. Also Gn'R would? have to be the opening band without a doubt. Would Axl go for that? Be honest here, nobody can seriously think U2 at this point in the game is an opening act for anybody. Not even The Stones. They'd simply blow them off stage. I've seen both U2 and Gn'R within the last year and it would honestly have to be this way. The good thing is it would force Axl to hit the stage on time hihi? ?Personally it'd be the greatest thing that could happen in my lifetime hihi but I honestly don't see how it could work.

Sorry but they would have to open for the stones.. As big as you think U2 is/they are. Theyre not as big as the stones.

they are Brody. I've seen it. The Stones come here it's big but not as big as when U2 comes.? U2 albums sell more these days, their tickets are more in demand for shows(fact, according to Ticketmaster). the Stones are massive but U2 has surpased them ona? global scale I believe.

This is getting way off topic and I apologies. I'm done with the U2 stuff in this thread I promise. beer please don't try to goat me. hihi

I believe the last idea suggested for a Gn'R? touring partner was NIN  ok
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 01:18:53 AM by Bono » Logged
Bono
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2006, 01:18:14 AM »

No it wouldn't. From what I've heard, the Edge isn't anywhere near as good of a live guitarist as David Gilmour. Pink Floyd's greatness in live shows is based mainly on their virtuosity (aka playing the songs PERFECTLY), whereas U2 combines Bono's energy level with a fair amount of virtuosity (kind of like GN'R back in the day, but U2 being better in the virtuosity department...Axl in his heyday was more exciting than Bono though). Pink Floyd didn't even have a full light show going on, and guess what, the atmosphere has ZERO effect on how well the songs are played man. I couldn't care less about the atmosphere. U2 opened Live 8, did they not? Was the crowd not jacked to see the beginning of the concert series? It works both ways, and like I said, I care more about how well the songs were played than anything else. If it's played fucking awesome, it's played fucking awesome and nothing I've seen or heard of any band matches what Pink Floyd did at Live 8.

I completely disagree with you on the part about lighting and atmosphere not playng a part in a live experience. If what you heard from Floyd on that day was in fact the best sounding thing you've ever heard that's cool beer but to say that lights and atmosphere don't play a part in the live experience is wrong. Also the crowd's enthusiasm has a lot to do with how the band performs. A dud crowd and the band can feel it. If the crowd is jacked the band can feel that also. Bands feed of crowds no?  I'm not claiming U2 to be the most technically sound live band ever but live "In  person" transcends everything. If lights and shit weren't important to the live experince than Pink Floyd would not use them. Nor would anyone else. Gn'r would not be usieng pyro. Tell me that doesn't add to the experience when you're there in person yes.Bands would be content with standing on stage and playing the songs if this wasn;'t the case. That's great if that's what you're into but it works alot better in a bar than it would for2 1/2 hours in a  stadium. All I'm saying is I wouldn't truely judge the live experience of either  based on a short 4 song set you saw on dvd. Yes I agree Floyd's performance was better on that day and admitedly the sound was also better but that doesn't mean the live show in itself would be better, giving both bands could play under the same circumstances. Wink Maybe it would be though. Floyd is a band I'm affraid I'll never have the opportunity to see.  no
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2006, 01:26:00 AM »

I completely disagree with you on the part about lighting and atmosphere not playng a part in a live experience. If what you heard from Floyd on that day was in fact the best sounding thing you've ever heard that's cool beer but to say that lights and atmosphere don't play a part in the live experience is wrong. Also the crowd's enthusiasm has a lot to do with how the band performs. A dud crowd and the band can feel it. If the crowd is jacked the band can feel that also. Bands feed of crowds no?  I'm not claiming U2 to be the most technically sound live band ever but live "In  person" transcends everything. If lights and shit weren't important to the live experince than Pink Floyd would not use them. Nor would anyone else. Gn'r would not be usieng pyro. Tell me that doesn't add to the experience when you're there in person yes.Bands would be content with standing on stage and playing the songs if this wasn;'t the case. That's great if that's what you're into but it works alot better in a bar than it would for2 1/2 hours in a  stadium. All I'm saying is I wouldn't truely judge the live experience of either  based on a short 4 song set you saw on dvd. Yes I agree Floyd's performance was better on that day and admitedly the sound was also better but that doesn't mean the live show in itself would be better, giving both bands could play under the same circumstances. Wink Maybe it would be though. Floyd is a band I'm affraid I'll never have the opportunity to see.  no

Oh I agree that it's part of the experience. But if you're just watching a DVD, do you really notice the visual crap that much if the band is playing perfect? You shouldn't. It shouldn't matter if they're kicking ass. The only visual that was cool was watching Gilmour bringing the notes from deep down in his soul. Other than that, I really didn't care about the lights and other junk. Pink Floyd is known for putting on a hell of a light show back in the day, which contributed to the stereotype of them being a "stoner" band where their typical listeners would get high and zone out. From what I've read though, it sounds like the light shows would make even sober people zone out. The music is what does it for me though. That's what I enjoy most.
Bono
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2006, 01:32:35 AM »

Oh I agree that it's part of the experience. But if you're just watching a DVD, do you really notice the visual crap that much if the band is playing perfect? You shouldn't. It shouldn't matter if they're kicking ass. The only visual that was cool was watching Gilmour bringing the notes from deep down in his soul. Other than that, I really didn't care about the lights and other junk. Pink Floyd is known for putting on a hell of a light show back in the day, which contributed to the stereotype of them being a "stoner" band where their typical listeners would get high and zone out. From what I've read though, it sounds like the light shows would make even sober people zone out. The music is what does it for me though. That's what I enjoy most.

rofl yeah if I'm "watching" it I do. I know exactly what you're getting at though. peace All the lights in the world won't help ya if you suck ass at playing the songs. Too bad so many bands seem to think just that. hihi
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2006, 01:58:48 AM »

rofl yeah if I'm "watching" it I do. I know exactly what you're getting at though. peace All the lights in the world won't help ya if you suck ass at playing the songs. Too bad so many bands seem to think just that. hihi

Ahhh, Pink Floyd, third on my list of loves after GNR and U2.  Saw them twice live at Yankee Stadium and the Giants Stadium, they are just amazing live.  The atmosphere, the lighting, and the extreme talent of David Gilmour.

Now add Aerosmith and here you have the all time Rock Dream Team!

jazjme
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2006, 02:01:25 AM »

Ahhh, Pink Floyd, third on my list of loves after GNR and U2.  Saw them twice live at Yankee Stadium and the Giants Stadium, they are just amazing live.  The atmosphere, the lighting, and the extreme talent of David Gilmour.

Now add Aerosmith and here you have the all time Rock Dream Team!

BAndita I was at those floyd shows also!!!!!!!!

11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
Bono
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2006, 02:07:32 AM »

Bandita is a stalker. She followed me to U2 at MSG and now she followed you to Pink Floyd at Yankee Stadium and Giants Stadium. Creepy!!! hihi
jazjme
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2006, 02:10:33 AM »

lol, hm well was great shows, but like I posted earlier, my dream show would be GNR, FLoyd, U2, and Genisis,. As a ulimate festival show that stareed at sunset and went till 6am,!

11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
Bono
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2006, 02:18:45 AM »

lol, hm well was great shows, but like I posted earlier, my dream show would be GNR, FLoyd, U2, and Genisis,. As a ulimate festival show that stareed at sunset and went till 6am,!

That just gave me goose bumps. I picture Genisis starting it off with In the Air Tonight and then Floyd(closing their set with 3 mellow atmospheric tunes) then the crowd being rocked back alive with "Wake up!!! It's time to Diiiiiiieeeeeeeee!!!!!"  and then as the last notes of The Blues ring though the stadium an overly  extended intro to Where the Streets Have No Name rings out  as the sun is rising. drool
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2006, 02:19:25 AM »

Bandita is a stalker. She followed me to U2 at MSG and now she followed you to Pink Floyd at Yankee Stadium and Giants Stadium. Creepy!!! hihi

Hahaha, maybe we all just love the same great music eh?

I had awesome seats for those Floyd shows, I was 19 at the time and worked for a store that had a ticketmaster, hehe....2nd row floor at Giants and 10th row floor at Yankee hihi

Yes, I was stalking jazjme before I even had internet in the early 90s! ?Watch out for me, hahahaha

I think this topic just proves that GNR belong in the company of greatness. ?They aren't a "fad" band. ?Granted we have been missing them for a while but still their music has trancended time, which so many bands/artists can NOT do today.

Whomever they get billed with, maybe with the exception of say umm Barry Manilow, I shall be there supporting them!
jazjme
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2006, 02:21:14 AM »

That just gave me goose bumps. I picture Genisis starting it off with In the Air Tonight and then Floyd(closing their set with 3 mellow atmospheric tunes) then the crowd being rocked back alive with "Wake up!!! It's time to Diiiiiiieeeeeeeee!!!!!"  and then as the last notes of The Blues ring though the stadium an overly  extended intro to Where the Streets Have No Name rings out  as the sun is rising. drool

actally that sounds amazing to me also!

11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
gilee7
VIP

'09 & '14 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champion

« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2006, 02:59:52 AM »

I think a GNR/Velvet Revolver tour would be genuis. Seriously. Then people get Slash, Duff, Axl, and Izzy in the same show. If they could halfway get along, maybe they'd do a couple songs together. Or maybe I've lost my mind ....

Imagine the danger that would come along with a show like that, just wondering if the two bands will get along or kill each other.

Here Today . . .
downzy56
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2006, 03:51:12 AM »

I think a GNR/Velvet Revolver tour would be genuis. Seriously. Then people get Slash, Duff, Axl, and Izzy in the same show. If they could halfway get along, maybe they'd do a couple songs together. Or maybe I've lost my mind ....

Imagine the danger that would come along with a show like that, just wondering if the two bands will get along or kill each other.

I've never heard of an idea that made so much sense yet was insane at the same time.  I'd like to see it, but it would beg too many questions, like: "well, if they can get along enough to tour together, why don't they just get back together."  Kind of like if your parents divorced, separated, but then 10 years later decided to move into the same house with new mates. 

Detroit '02
Toronto '02
London, ON '02
Boston '02
NYC '02
Philadelphia '02
NYC '06
Paris, FR '06
Toronto '06
Ottawa '06
Quebec City '06
Hamilton '10