Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 01:45:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227936 Posts in 43254 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  The Official NHL 2006-2007 Season Thread
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Official NHL 2006-2007 Season Thread  (Read 124620 times)
Skeba
Laugh Whore
Legend

Comedy is tragedy plus time

« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2006, 08:22:14 AM »

They looked really strong last night as well.

Hopefully they'll keep going through out the season. Would be cool to see them in playoffs first time in a long time.

I've created an atmosphere where I?m a friend first, moderator second. Probably entertainer third.
sandman
Legend

« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2006, 10:13:41 AM »

the flyers are just a bad team. it wasn't hitch's problem. it's in large part due to clarkie.

all of our young "stars" are average at best. richards is a HUGE disappoitment. and our yound D look lost.

we lost dejardins and kim johnnson this offseason - 2 veteran D and didn't replace them. we lost our captain and heart and soul of the team (preems) to injury, and didn't even try to replace him.  and gagne is playing like shit.

the flyers are a long ways away from contending again. it's a shame to see them fall so fast.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Mal Brossard
There should be a title here....
VIP

Iihan stuoramus alo vuoitte.

« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2006, 10:36:08 AM »

Nice little report here from the "See, I told you so" Department.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2006/10/26/cherry-europeans.html

He's famous for speaking off the cuff and going with his gut, but a recent study suggests there may be something more to one of Don Cherry's familiar rants ? namely, that there are too many Europeans in the NHL.

The study, released Thursday by the International Ice Hockey Federation, the sport's worldwide governing body, finds that a large number of European-trained players drafted in the past seven years are not of NHL calibre, hurting the quality of professional hockey on both sides of the Atlantic.

Don Cherry has drawn fire in the past for criticizing some European hockey players.
(CBC) Though he has never undertaken such an exhaustive examination to back his belief, Cherry has been insisting for years that the NHL is overloaded with Europeans.

"My opinions may not be popular," the popular Hockey Night in Canada personality told the Globe and Mail. "They're not politically correct. They say I shouldn't say them. But it's the truth."

Cherry, who has drawn criticism in the past for blasting the "soft" style of play he sees in many Europeans, said his observations are based on years of first-hand experience, especially during his tenure as part owner and general manager of the Ontario Hockey League's Mississauga Ice Dogs.

"You have all these Canadian kids who are working their asses off, just trying to get drafted," Cherry told the Globe and Mail. "And they were passed over for guys that are Europeans. The Canadians were just as good. It boggled by my mind."

Risky contracts

The findings from the IIHF study suggest that NHL teams have too often risked contracts on marginal European prospects who have only a slim chance of developing into useful players in hockey's best league.

Much of the blame for this, the IIHF says, falls on the mistaken belief that Europeans simply need time to learn the North American game in order to realize their potential.

"Let's face it, the hockey we have now is now more European than ever," Cherry said in the Globe article. "You really don't have to come over here any more to get toughened up. Except for the odd game, you're seeing a lot of European hockey being played."

The IIHF suggests that NHL clubs avoid recruiting overseas players until they are ready to play at the highest level. This strategy, says the IIHF, would both strengthen European leagues and provide the NHL with a larger pool of polished players.

In short, everyone in the hockey world would be better off if only the most worthy players received NHL contracts, an idea Cherry said he has always supported.

"Anybody who says I wouldn't want players like [Evgeni] Malkin or [Alex] Ovechkin, they're nuts," Cherry told the Globe and Mail.

"I think Ovechkin is probably the most exciting player in the league. But when I see teams drafting guys who are never going to make it, it just ticks me off."

I’ll be the last to say "Don’t follow your heart," but there’s more to what it takes to be a man.
Skeba
Laugh Whore
Legend

« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2006, 04:57:00 PM »

I think he has a valid point there... The percentage of European players has maybe grown too rapidly with the expence of the quality of hockey out there. Plus it robs European leagues of their better than average/good players, while only a few NA players come here to play.

But I think there's so much bullshit coming from his mouth at the same time that the lone good idea tends to get lost. Whenever I see him on tv, 90% of the stuff he says is just plain stupid. Plus he gives his opinions as facts which is not something I usually appreciate in a person.

I've created an atmosphere where I?m a friend first, moderator second. Probably entertainer third.
Mama Kin
VIP

It's Just a Ride

« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2006, 10:31:51 PM »

Actually, most of the time, his opinons turns out to be facts. Such as this and his statement that visors are worn mostly by Europeans and French guys.....which was proven to be true.

Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona Bay
Skeba
Laugh Whore
Legend

« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2006, 08:17:56 AM »

But Europeans wearing visors is not an opinion but a fact. It's just simple numbers. What he stated about people going to NHL from Europe too easily. That, is an opinion, and can't be measured with a simple count.

The visor thing btw, what was the point in him saying that?

CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #66 on: October 31, 2006, 08:21:12 AM »

Sundin soesn't wear a visor ok

philly got another win last night 3-0 against chicago, two goals scored by peter forsberg or foppa as we call him in sweden yes
Skeba
Laugh Whore
Legend

« Reply #67 on: October 31, 2006, 11:15:34 AM »

I still don't get how that is a " ok"..

CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

« Reply #68 on: October 31, 2006, 11:25:36 AM »

I still don't get how that is a " ok"..

and i don't get why you always complain and think you know it all.. you said that it's a fact that europeans wear visors and my  "ok" was just a kind correction or something that not all europeans wear 'em
Mal Brossard
VIP

« Reply #69 on: October 31, 2006, 12:51:14 PM »

The deal with visors is that it has led to a lack of respect among players.  In the past, everyone went without helmets and cheap hits were far less common.  Sticks rarely got raised, there were no hits from behind, and if you were in a fight and the other guy ended up on the ice, you stopped punching.  Then helmets became a requirement.  Sticks started getting up, hits from behind were coming more often, and head shots were more common.  The guy is protected, so it's alright to be less safe with your stick because they guy is better protected.

And now, it's the panty half shield.  Hey, just what we need!  Even MORE protection so it's alright to get your stick way up in a guy's face!  Next thing you know, in 20 years, everyone will be required to wear a full shield or cage and sticks will be all over the place.

You want to make players respect each other again?  Make shields and helmets completely optional again.  Less protection means more accountability.  And you'll have to have more respect for other players because you don't want to take a stick to the face, or receive a beating for getting your stick up in a guy's mug.  Oh wait, the instigator rule prevents the beatings now confused

That's basically Cherry's view on it, and I certainly can't argue with him on it. ok

I’ll be the last to say "Don’t follow your heart," but there’s more to what it takes to be a man.
Skeba
Laugh Whore
Legend

« Reply #70 on: October 31, 2006, 06:13:13 PM »

and i don't get why you always complain and think you know it all.. you said that it's a fact that europeans wear visors and my? "ok" was just a kind correction or something that not all europeans wear 'em

It wasn't a complaint.. Just a question on why you thought it was a good thing that he didn't wear one.. (really didn't know a wink and a thumbs up could've meant something else)

Mal:

I really don't agree with Cherry's view on the issue there, though I do see where he's coming from. I'm not saying it isn't true that players were more careful before, but to treat players like they're complete idiots that need supervision all the time imo is not the right way to go. The players need to understand what the gear is for, and that it doesn't remove a players' responsibility of his equipment (in this case the stick). I'm not denying that covering the players with more gear has made the players act less responsible. But I _do_ think that removing protective gear that might prevent a guy from having a concussion or having his eye sight taken away isn't the answer either. The game is a lot faster, the hits (even clean ones) are harder than 20 years ago, the shots are harder... I believe taking away protective gear at today's hockey would be a mistake.

The Dog
Legend

« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2006, 08:06:34 PM »

Is Malkin going to go 6 for 6 tonight?  I never in my wildest of dreams would have thought the Pens would be this good this year.  I don't think we're good/deep enough to make a cup run, but a playoff berth is definitely a possability. 

Crosby and Malkin are just ridiculous.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #72 on: November 01, 2006, 11:33:41 PM »

Is Malkin going to go 6 for 6 tonight?  I never in my wildest of dreams would have thought the Pens would be this good this year.  I don't think we're good/deep enough to make a cup run, but a playoff berth is definitely a possability. 

Crosby and Malkin are just ridiculous.

YES HE DID IT!!!!!  Staal scored too.  Crosby with an assist.  Pens leading after 1.

And Malkin gets the game winner in OT.  2 goals.  Simply unreal.  Crosby assisted on both of them. 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 09:48:42 AM by HannaHat » Logged

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
Mal Brossard
VIP

« Reply #73 on: November 02, 2006, 01:12:06 PM »

Malkin is the first player since 1918 to score 6 goals in his first 6 games in the league.

There's a record I doubt you'll see broken again anytime soon.

Backslash
\
VIP

Use Your Allusion

« Reply #74 on: November 02, 2006, 01:46:02 PM »

Crosby and Malkin are the next Jagr and Lemieux.  This is just what the Penguins need.  These guys are pretty exciting to watch. 

GNRevolution... the missing link.
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #75 on: November 02, 2006, 02:04:32 PM »

Malkin is the first player since 1918 to score 6 goals in his first 6 games in the league.

Who was the player in 1918?

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #76 on: November 02, 2006, 02:10:07 PM »

maybe chris chelios? hihi peace

from wikipedia: In his first 6 games in the NHL, Malkin has 7 goals and 5 assists. Malkin is the first player to score goals in each of his first six games since the league's inaugural season in 1917, when Joe Malone scored in 14 consecutive games to start his Hall of Fame NHL career.

Backslash
\
VIP

Use Your Allusion

« Reply #77 on: November 02, 2006, 02:15:53 PM »

Joe Malone, Cy Denneny, and Newsy Lalonde all did it in 1917-18. ?I'm not sure if they can really compare as it was the inaugural season for the league and they probably had loads of experience with their teams before the league formed.

GNRevolution... the missing link.
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #78 on: November 02, 2006, 02:17:43 PM »

Not to mention there was no forward passing.

Chris Chelios  rofl

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
CheapJon
Legend

« Reply #79 on: November 02, 2006, 03:54:14 PM »

Crosby and Malkin are the next Jagr and Lemieux.? This is just what the Penguins need.? These guys are pretty exciting to watch.?

have to agree about that, hopefully they will play together throughout their careers, in that case, they will be one of the greatest duos ever yes
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 34 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: