Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 11:21:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  The Official NHL 2006-2007 Season Thread
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Official NHL 2006-2007 Season Thread  (Read 126039 times)
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #240 on: March 04, 2007, 11:23:19 AM »

Bill Watters said the best way to peanalize the Devils would be to make Janssen play 25 minutes a game instead of suspending him lol, Cause he sucks so much

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
Mal Brossard
There should be a title here....
VIP

Iihan stuoramus alo vuoitte.

« Reply #241 on: March 04, 2007, 11:56:12 AM »

The only reason the hit looked bad at all is because Kaberle was a tad off balance and close to the boards.  Kaberle saw the hit coming and chose to duck his head.  The damage was caused by him going into the boards.  Will we see people clamoring for the use of padded boards now?  Of course not, but it makes more sense than throwing the book at someone for a clean hit.

And his elbow and hands were nowhere near being up.  Well, unless elbow is now synonymous with shoulder as some Buffalo fans would have us believe.

Here, something for you guys to drool over: http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/187865

Dump the instigator rule, and this shit doesn't happen.

As for the idea of suspending a player for as long as (or more) than a player is injured, it won't work.  How can we prove that a team isn't milking an injury to a nobody to keep a star player suspended?  For example, Ovechkin's hit on Briere.  The Sabres would have been worse off without Briere, but they have plenty to make up for him.  They could have kept him out for two weeks or so as a "precaution," thus keeping Ovechkin out for at least that long.  You honestly don't think teams would do that?

I’ll be the last to say "Don’t follow your heart," but there’s more to what it takes to be a man.
Mal Brossard
VIP

« Reply #242 on: March 04, 2007, 12:03:06 PM »

Let me guess: you guys also think Steve Moore elbowed Markus Naslund?

I’ll be the last to say "Don’t follow your heart," but there’s more to what it takes to be a man.
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #243 on: March 05, 2007, 12:07:22 AM »

The only reason the hit looked bad at all is because Kaberle was a tad off balance and close to the boards.? Kaberle saw the hit coming and chose to duck his head.? The damage was caused by him going into the boards.? Will we see people clamoring for the use of padded boards now?? Of course not, but it makes more sense than throwing the book at someone for a clean hit.

And his elbow and hands were nowhere near being up.? Well, unless elbow is now synonymous with shoulder as some Buffalo fans would have us believe.

Here, something for you guys to drool over: http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/187865

Dump the instigator rule, and this shit doesn't happen.

As for the idea of suspending a player for as long as (or more) than a player is injured, it won't work.? How can we prove that a team isn't milking an injury to a nobody to keep a star player suspended?? For example, Ovechkin's hit on Briere.? The Sabres would have been worse off without Briere, but they have plenty to make up for him.? They could have kept him out for two weeks or so as a "precaution," thus keeping Ovechkin out for at least that long.? You honestly don't think teams would do that?

1.) That was not a clean hit.. Yes Kaberle should have protected himself, but it was LATE... He should have not gotten hit in the first place...

2.) A head hit is a head hit... I'm a Buffalo fan, and Neil did not throw and elbow.. But he came in late, and for the head...

3.) The equal time rule is a great idea, if this rule went into effect (to dirty hits only)... Guys would think twice about cheap shots, and if a team did sit a guy out extra time, oh well!! Dont hit dirty and it wont happen!!

Plain and simple!
Mal Brossard
VIP

« Reply #244 on: March 05, 2007, 10:22:26 AM »

1.) That was not a clean hit.. Yes Kaberle should have protected himself, but it was LATE... He should have not gotten hit in the first place...

It was still a legal hit.  You either just have the puck, or must have been the last to touch it to be eligible to be hit.  Kaberle made the pass and imagined he couldn't be hit.  Big mistake.

2.) A head hit is a head hit... I'm a Buffalo fan, and Neil did not throw and elbow.. But he came in late, and for the head...

Where in the rulebook does it say you can't get hit in the head?  He wasn't looking, the hit was a clean hit with the shoulder.  The only thing making it borderline is the fact that it was from behind and to the side.  If you don't want to get a shoulder to the head, then you should be watching and making sure you don't get hit.  It took Eric Lindros 15 years and 864 concussions to learn that.

3.) The equal time rule is a great idea, if this rule went into effect (to dirty hits only)... Guys would think twice about cheap shots, and if a team did sit a guy out extra time, oh well!! Dont hit dirty and it wont happen!!

Who's to determine what's a "dirty" hit and what isn't?  Janssen gets a three game suspension for a hit that would have gotten someone like Ovechkin maybe a warning and a fine or one game tops.  Don't even try telling me that the tough guys don't have a huge target on their backs from the league, whether they've done something or not while the big stars can get away with anything and everything with almost no penalty.

Examples?  In 1995, Craig Berube came on the ice on a legal line change and immediately got in a fight with Nick Kypreos.  He was slapped with a 10-game suspension.  In 2000, All-Star defenseman Chris Pronger does the same thing, comes on the ice on a legal line change, immediately gets in a fight with Kelly Buchberger.  The rulebook states that leaving the bench and proceeding directly into a fight (even on a legal line change like Berube) is an automatic ten game suspension.  It happened to Berube, it happened to Scott Parker.  Pronger received one game.  Now try to tell me the stars don't play by a different rulebook than the tough guys.

And if teams are allowed to milk injuries for all they can and get away with it, who's to say this won't happen?  Let's say Ovechkin knocks out some stiff from Carolina on a borderline hit.  If the guy from Carolina sits out the rest of the season, then Ovechkin would too.  What if the guy takes a decent-sized severance package to retire because he's milking the after-effects of the hit?  By this rule, Ovechkin would be gone for life as well.  It's like Communism-- a good idea in theory, but obviously won't work in real life.

And you all are dodging my question about the Moore "elbow" on Naslund.

Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #245 on: March 05, 2007, 10:52:07 AM »

I agree that Neils hot on Drury was clean, I didnt say it was dirty, Drury had just shot the puck, Neil was coming full steam ahead, he was looking at the net, It wasnt an elbow,A bit late ya possibly but still clean

However Janseens hit was nowhere near the play which had gone up ice already, so far out of the play that no one even seen it, and I think it was an elbow

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #246 on: March 05, 2007, 01:59:10 PM »

i think it was a shoulder pad to the face....and wayyyy late

Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #247 on: March 05, 2007, 02:17:29 PM »

It was still a legal hit.? You either just have the puck, or must have been the last to touch it to be eligible to be hit.? Kaberle made the pass and imagined he couldn't be hit.? Big mistake.

Where in the rulebook does it say you can't get hit in the head?? He wasn't looking, the hit was a clean hit with the shoulder.? The only thing making it borderline is the fact that it was from behind and to the side.? If you don't want to get a shoulder to the head, then you should be watching and making sure you don't get hit.? It took Eric Lindros 15 years and 864 concussions to learn that.

Who's to determine what's a "dirty" hit and what isn't?? Janssen gets a three game suspension for a hit that would have gotten someone like Ovechkin maybe a warning and a fine or one game tops.? Don't even try telling me that the tough guys don't have a huge target on their backs from the league, whether they've done something or not while the big stars can get away with anything and everything with almost no penalty.

Examples?? In 1995, Craig Berube came on the ice on a legal line change and immediately got in a fight with Nick Kypreos.? He was slapped with a 10-game suspension.? In 2000, All-Star defenseman Chris Pronger does the same thing, comes on the ice on a legal line change, immediately gets in a fight with Kelly Buchberger.? The rulebook states that leaving the bench and proceeding directly into a fight (even on a legal line change like Berube) is an automatic ten game suspension.? It happened to Berube, it happened to Scott Parker.? Pronger received one game.? Now try to tell me the stars don't play by a different rulebook than the tough guys.

And if teams are allowed to milk injuries for all they can and get away with it, who's to say this won't happen?? Let's say Ovechkin knocks out some stiff from Carolina on a borderline hit.? If the guy from Carolina sits out the rest of the season, then Ovechkin would too.? What if the guy takes a decent-sized severance package to retire because he's milking the after-effects of the hit?? By this rule, Ovechkin would be gone for life as well.? It's like Communism-- a good idea in theory, but obviously won't work in real life.

And you all are dodging my question about the Moore "elbow" on Naslund.

See thats the problem.. The rule book should out law all intentional hits to the head..

And yes I agree, stars get better treatment... Which is bull shit, and reflects the NHL in a whole, with their "selective enfocement"...

Alot needs to change but none of it is....

Honestly? it been forever since I saw the Moore on Naslund... Post a link and i'll tell you what I think....

EDIT: Just found it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=634nSML35AE

Clean hit.. Naslund went after the puck and went to one knee... Had he stayed up it would have been a shoulder to chest/shoulder hit.. Naslund left himself open, and put himself in the position..

I agree that Neils hot on Drury was clean

However Janseens hit was nowhere near the play which had gone up ice already, so far out of the play that no one even seen it, and I think it was an elbow

Homer? Roll Eyes? hihi
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 09:04:48 PM by Loaded NightraiN » Logged
Mal Brossard
VIP

« Reply #248 on: March 06, 2007, 10:35:00 AM »

Once again, banning head shots, great idea, won't work.  If you do that, players will be too afraid to give ANY sort of high hit because they just might get penalized.  Here's an idea-- keep your head up!  Shots to the head were rare in the past because players kept their heads up and saw a hit coming before it got to them.

What next?  Maybe a few players tear knee ligaments on a perfectly clean hip check in the future, do we ban hip checks then too?  Why not just ban all hitting right now?  Bettman would just cream himself over that thought.

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #249 on: March 06, 2007, 10:43:33 AM »

i think it partially stems to kids in minor hockey growing up wearing face sheilds....the respect for the head isnt there anymore...cuz up until the pro's....you cant really hurt somebody like that...same with high sticks

its gotta start young cuz by the time they reach 20 its engrained in their heads peace

Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #250 on: March 06, 2007, 09:54:57 PM »

Once again, banning head shots, great idea, won't work.? If you do that, players will be too afraid to give ANY sort of high hit because they just might get penalized.?

Only players with intent to injure... They'll think twice about fines and a suspension  ok
Communist China
Banned
VIP

All the ladies are welcome to my jungle!

« Reply #251 on: March 06, 2007, 10:14:42 PM »

I am a little afraid that it'll end up like hitting the QB is in football, where teams give up big gains because they fear the 15 yard penalties and never challenge the QB when he leaves himself vulnerable. BUT, these hits have got to stop. Neemo's got the right idea about starting with kids, but something should be done now.

Personally I think shoulder pads have to be made smaller or lighter or something, because what happened to Umberger, Connolly, Drury and Kaberle shouldn't be career-threatening. Late hit penalties have to get as tight as hooking was called in 06 and forwards gotta keep their heads up.

It's not easy, but that's why those NHL guys are paid the big bucks.

that makes you a nut swinger. Deal with it.? ok
Mal Brossard
VIP

« Reply #252 on: March 07, 2007, 06:46:27 AM »

Once again, banning head shots, great idea, won't work.  If you do that, players will be too afraid to give ANY sort of high hit because they just might get penalized. 

Only players with intent to injure... They'll think twice about fines and a suspension  ok

Once again, similar to my question on how one defines a dirty hit, how does one prove intent?  You can't.

Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #253 on: March 07, 2007, 11:32:24 AM »

Once again, banning head shots, great idea, won't work.? If you do that, players will be too afraid to give ANY sort of high hit because they just might get penalized.?

Only players with intent to injure... They'll think twice about fines and a suspension? ok

Once again, similar to my question on how one defines a dirty hit, how does one prove intent?? You can't.

Not all the time... In the cases you cant, have a board of people review it... Anything late, even with not so much intent invlolved, should be punishable... Repeat offenders with questionable hits, should be more likley to fines/suspensions...etc...
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #254 on: March 09, 2007, 09:57:09 AM »

WTF is with this shit this year

Chris Simon stick swing at a guys neck last night...10 games? more? how stupid of him...just punch him instead of swinging the stick. coulds seriously hurt that guy...luckily hes ok Shocked

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht6RyAI9370

Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #255 on: March 09, 2007, 11:15:19 AM »

WTF is with this shit this year

Chris Simon stick swing at a guys neck last night...10 games? more? how stupid of him...just punch him instead of swinging the stick. coulds seriously hurt that guy...luckily hes ok Shocked

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht6RyAI9370

See you dont suspend/fine guys, it keeps happening  no

I wouldnt be upset with 25 games unpaid, mabye a $20,000 fine... gotta be tough

I'm just waiting for Mal to come by and try to explain how it was a clean hit  hihi
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #256 on: March 09, 2007, 11:23:07 AM »

I'm just waiting for Mal to come by and try to explain how it was a clean hit? hihi

it was retaliation for being hit from behind

i was watching the Score last night and they were saying he will get 6 games...cuz he expressed remorse after the incident...and dude wasnt hurt

I was like WTF? Mark Osborne retaliated and said he should get the rest of the season...and maybe playoffs.

I agree with that...he should be done for the rest of this year and playoffs...CYA!

Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #257 on: March 09, 2007, 11:36:18 AM »

6 games?!  Roll Eyes

Thats just saying if you don't hurt the guy we'll go easy... So be careful when you try to decapitate some one
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #258 on: March 09, 2007, 11:41:04 AM »

6 games?!? Roll Eyes

Thats just saying if you don't hurt the guy we'll go easy... So be careful when you try to decapitate some one

it was an annalyst that said that..not an nhl guy...they were speculating..sorry if i made it confusing peace

Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #259 on: March 09, 2007, 11:49:16 AM »

6 games?!? Roll Eyes

it was an annalyst that said that..not an nhl guy...they were speculating..sorry if i made it confusing peace

Ahh I'm with ya? ok

It would not suprise me for one second, if something ridiclous like 6 games was handed down...

Rest of the season + playoffs would be fine with me... And if they dont make the playoffs you ask??
Give him the most possible, all rounds times 7 games each!!

So 4 rounds x 7... 28 more games?? Sure why not!

EDIT:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=ap-islanders-simonshit&prov=ap&type=lgns

Seems like they're going about this the right way... Hopefullythey dont let up on him!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 01:31:30 PM by Loaded NightraiN » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 34 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: