Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 11:08:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227963 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Rolling Stone cover inevitable?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rolling Stone cover inevitable?  (Read 10186 times)
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2006, 08:01:08 AM »

Put it this way....

AXL can get a cover on any music mag he wants.  GNR cannot.  FACT!

GNR will not be on the cover of Metal Hammer.  GNR wil not be on the cover of Kerrang.  Etc Etc Etc

And as for the person who suggested NME.... are you for real?  NME can't wait to make a mockery of this band - despite how good or bad the album turns out to be, and NME readers are so low on the target demographic/lifestyle putch of GNR that they wont give a shit if NME like em or not.

Metal Hammer, Kerrang & Classic Rock are the only european mags worth doing, but GNR need some serious promo and a CD date before any covers would happen. 

AXL is still the star!  - maybe not to us die-hards, but to the rest of the world the other members are still nobody's.

Can't wait to post links to covers when you're wrong.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
Red1
VIP

yeah, you probably have seen me around.....

« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2006, 08:11:47 AM »

I am only talking about the UK magazine market.  You really think any UK mag wants anyone other than Axl on the cover?  Why would they? 
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2006, 08:36:06 AM »

I was talking about UK mags, too... being from the UK. Tongue
I believe if there's a cover feature, it will feature the full band... why?  Because that's what they do with most other bands, even when the frontman is the only person people are really interested in.
snooze72
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2006, 08:48:31 AM »

I was talking about UK mags, too... being from the UK. Tongue
I believe if there's a cover feature, it will feature the full band... why?? Because that's what they do with most other bands, even when the frontman is the only person people are really interested in.

Don't you remember the No Doubt video (based on a true story) where Gwen Stefani and the band do a photo shoot for a big mag cover and the rest of the guys are edited out leaving just Gwen? 

Most of the people out there seeing a cover on the newstand -- like 98% -- won't have a clue who the other guys are, nor will they care.  Having Finck, Fortus and even Stinson isn't likely to sell even one more copy (well, maybe the five copies for their mothers) than a shot of Axl alone.  The shot of Axl alone would be more recognizable.  Many of the more news oriented rags would still put the whole band on the cover (if they rate a cover at all), but mostly because they're 'new', (as in 'news'), not because they're viewed as a band.
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2006, 09:31:13 AM »

I am only talking about the UK magazine market.  You really think any UK mag wants anyone other than Axl on the cover?  Why would they? 

Because this band is Guns N' Roses.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
miss bomb
Rocker

nanook

« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2006, 09:33:16 AM »

I am only talking about the UK magazine market.? You really think any UK mag wants anyone other than Axl on the cover?? Why would they??

it wouldnt sell magazines, only the gnr community know who the band are, sorry but no one else does; and magazines cant run an issue depending on being bought by gnr fans.

listen to red1, he's not lying; believe me  Roll Eyes

7.6.6,11.6.6,29.7.6x2,10.11.6
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2006, 09:40:57 AM »

it wouldnt sell magazines, only the gnr community know who the band are, sorry but no one else does; and magazines cant run an issue depending on being bought by gnr fans.

listen to red1, he's not lying; believe me  Roll Eyes

It's not a matter or who's telling the truth. It's a matter of someone eventually being proved wrong.

How do you suppose people are going to get to know the new lineup? Through touring, interviews and overall press coverage.

BTW, if this all has to do with the new lineup then why did Rolling Stone have only Axl when the UYI lineup was together?

miss bomb
Rocker

nanook

« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2006, 09:55:49 AM »

I am only talking about the UK magazine market.? You really think any UK mag wants anyone other than Axl on the cover?? Why would they??

listen to red1, he's not lying; believe me? Roll Eyes

It's not a matter or who's telling the truth. It's a matter of someone eventually being proved wrong.

How do you suppose people are going to get to know the new lineup? Through touring, interviews and overall press coverage.

BTW, if this all has to do with the new lineup then why did Rolling Stone have only Axl when the UYI lineup was together?

what interviews? if gnr are going through with releasing the album this year,  it wont be a commercial success based on touring; cos what other pr are they doing right now? i dont see any interviews; and in the UK there's virtually no press coverage (music magazines like kerrang just mock axl, the tabloids mock axl - NOTHING TO DO WITH THE BAND). unless theyre planning a huge pr campaign to back the tour up, its commercial suicide.

and as for the rolling stone magazine with just axl - everyone knew gnr then, and knew who the band was. they knew slash axl and duff were the backbone. now, people just think of axl as gnr, and its shocking how many people still think slash is in the band. axl doesnt need the promotion, the band does; if they want to gain any respect and new fans other than the online community.

i sure as hell hope they prove me wrong. gnr managment team - do some fucking pr for the love of god!

Red1
VIP

yeah, you probably have seen me around.....

« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2006, 11:00:51 AM »

IF the album comes out and is critically acclaimed AND a commercial success, then the UK mags will start taking an interest in putting them all on the cover (because the fickle media will want to look like they are backing the band).  My point, which may have been lost somewhere somewhere along the way is that at this point in time none of the press want or need the rest of the band in order to sell more copies - and that is the driving force behind any cover feature. 

If GNR had been an active band and say... Slash had left in the middle of recording an album and then someone well known like John 5 had stepped in - that would have been a cover feature. 

At the moment I think the only way in hell that the mags would put the whole band on a cover is:

a) They want Axl but management insist that in order to get him, they must also put the rest of the band on the cover.
b) They want to ridicule the band.

This will all get blown out of the water if the album comes out and is huge and the general feeling in the industry is that it's a great album. 

I don't think this is about proving anyone right or wrong - it's just common sense.  If GNR do a successful tour, release a CD and become a huge band again - then they are obviously going to be come cover stars.  They will have to become HUGE to warrant that happening.  In my mind I can see the covers now where Axl is the main picture and the rest of the band are purposely in the background and made to look less significant - because no matter what happens the press will always see GNR as a band that is now Axl and his 'hired guns' no matter what us true fans feel.
Cleopatra2U
Rocker

I might be too much but honey you're a bit obscene

« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2006, 11:47:10 AM »

Regardless of what you think of Rolling Stone (I like it), you have to admit that [1] they have been very kind to GNR/Axl over the years, and [2] their photography is some of the best in the business.? Their cover photos become classics.? Take a look at their GNR/Axl covers to date:

(Slash also appeared on a cover by himself in 1991.)

It's not hard for me to imagine a cover with Axl, Robin, Richard, Ron, Tommy, Brain, Dizzy, and Chris (assuming they would all fit? Wink).? And what great promotion it would be for them!? Even people who don't buy the magazine would still notice the cover at newsstands, bookstores, grocery and drug store checkout lines, etc., etc.? Maybe some lapsed GNR fans would notice Axl on the cover and read the magazine to find out what's he's been up to...

In short, I see only positive things from being on the cover of Rolling Stone, and I hope we see GNR there (again!) soon.
miss bomb
Rocker

nanook

« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2006, 11:48:00 AM »

IF the album comes out and is critically acclaimed AND a commercial success, then the UK mags will start taking an interest in putting them all on the cover (because the fickle media will want to look like they are backing the band).? My point, which may have been lost somewhere somewhere along the way is that at this point in time none of the press want or need the rest of the band in order to sell more copies - and that is the driving force behind any cover feature.?

If GNR had been an active band and say... Slash had left in the middle of recording an album and then someone well known like John 5 had stepped in - that would have been a cover feature.?

At the moment I think the only way in hell that the mags would put the whole band on a cover is:

a) They want Axl but management insist that in order to get him, they must also put the rest of the band on the cover.
b) They want to ridicule the band.

This will all get blown out of the water if the album comes out and is huge and the general feeling in the industry is that it's a great album.?

I don't think this is about proving anyone right or wrong - it's just common sense.? If GNR do a successful tour, release a CD and become a huge band again - then they are obviously going to be come cover stars.? They will have to become HUGE to warrant that happening.? In my mind I can see the covers now where Axl is the main picture and the rest of the band are purposely in the background and made to look less significant - because no matter what happens the press will always see GNR as a band that is now Axl and his 'hired guns' no matter what us true fans feel.

so true ?Undecided

IndiannaRose
VIP

AiN'T iT FuN WhEn YoU KnOw YoU'Re GoNnA DiE YoUnG

« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2006, 01:29:18 PM »

Cleopatra2U, you forgot the Slash cover pic.
Megaguns
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2006, 02:39:21 PM »

I think GnR will do the dec or jan cover. If RS got first word of the Nov 21st release, Youd have to think that its GnR's managements way of saying "Hi rolling stone, here we are"
Cleopatra2U
Rocker

I might be too much but honey you're a bit obscene

« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2006, 04:54:59 PM »

Cleopatra2U, you forgot the Slash cover pic.

I mentioned it.  I just didn't post it.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2006, 05:57:01 PM »

Hopefully the cover will have the entire band, cause it is much needed for those guys to really get out there and be known by the public.

I wonder how many casual fans out there even know their is a new band?

People would probably be surprised at how many have no clue.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2006, 05:57:51 PM »

Hopefully the cover will have the entire band, cause it is much needed for those guys to really get out there and be known by the public.

I wonder how many casual fans out there even know their is a new band?

People would probably be surprised at how many have no clue.

I feel the same way. I think it'd make a GREAT RS cover and be a smart move for both parties.

Origen
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2006, 06:03:27 PM »

I think it would be stupid looking trying to fit the entire band on the front page as there is just too many of them to get into one shot without it looking cramped. I would just like Robin,Ron and Richard on the cover or Richard, Tommy Brian etc... But I think you would have to stick Axl in there somewhere so people know what band there actually looking at and to sell the magazine with him on the front.
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2006, 06:05:00 PM »

I think it would be stupid looking trying to fit the entire band on the front page as there is just too many of them to get into one shot without it looking cramped. I would just like Robin,Ron and Richard on the cover or Richard, Tommy Brian etc... But I think you would have to stick Axl in there somewhere so people know what band there actually looking at and to sell the magazine with him on the front.

Ofcourse Axl will be on there but readers would know anyways from the headline with the words "Guns N' Roses" in it.

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2006, 06:46:17 PM »

Ofcourse Axl will be on there but readers would know anyways from the headline with the words "Guns N' Roses" in it.

If I were the rs editer, I'd put a coolest pic of just robin on the cover with the headline. People would get curious like "where is axl?".  then inside, a long interview with axl, with his pics and each members.
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2006, 07:15:48 PM »

There will be a progression of pictures showing Axl Rose at various stages and looks and then the current photo of him and the title will read: 

HE'S BAAAAAAAAAACCCCCKKKKKK

" THE COMPLETE STORY OF GUNS N' ROSES LEADER W.AXL ROSE AND THE MAKING OF THE MOST ANICIPATED ALBUM IN ROCK & ROLL HISTORY "

I'm gonna put my crystal ball away now....
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: