Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 03:32:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227962 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  NIN vs GNR
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: NIN vs GNR  (Read 11689 times)
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2006, 12:38:34 PM »

Both are great bands.? Both have had Robin Finck in them.? Grin

Dont u mean,

Both bands are great. Despite having Robin Finck in them

Ah Gnr fans.....''Axl likes NIN, well...er......so do i, yes thats it, i've been a fan for...er......40 years er.......''

hihi

There's some truth to that.

But to be honest I'm surprised how many fans of GN'R love NIN. I know everyone's favorite MyGNR mod Madison is a huge Trent Reznor groupie. There must be some link between the two groups (in general - not Robin Finck) that I don't "get" because I think GN'R is the great rock n' roll band of our time and NIN is an entirely different band that makes a lot of experimental industrial noise - most of which I don't like.

Does there have to be a link to them other than the fact that I love them both? Undecided
You'd be surprised at the variety of stuff I listen to... rock, metal, pop, hip-hop, (not taking into account the hundreds of subgenres which fall into those four genres, which I listen to most of) a bit of alternative dance (stuff like Propellerheads and Dust Brothers) industrial dance and industrial rock (not plain old industrial, that stuff sucks... what Trent Reznor did was take a few of the ideas and place them into the format of a melodic rock song - two completely opposite things that shouldn't work, but somehow do).
HamsterDemocracy
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2006, 01:13:50 PM »

Both are great bands.  Both have had Robin Finck in them.  Grin

Dont u mean,

Ah Gnr fans.....''Axl likes NIN, well...er......so do i, yes thats it, i've been a fan for...er......40 years er.......''

hihi

But to be honest I'm surprised how many fans of GN'R love NIN. I know everyone's favorite MyGNR mod Madison is a huge Trent Reznor groupie. There must be some link between the two groups (in general - not Robin Finck) that I don't "get" because I think GN'R is the great rock n' roll band of our time and NIN is an entirely different band that makes a lot of experimental industrial noise - most of which I don't like.

Does there have to be a link to them other than the fact that I love them both? Undecided
You'd be surprised at the variety of stuff I listen to... rock, metal, pop, hip-hop, (not taking into account the hundreds of subgenres which fall into those four genres, which I listen to most of) a bit of alternative dance (stuff like Propellerheads and Dust Brothers) industrial dance and industrial rock (not plain old industrial, that stuff sucks... what Trent Reznor did was take a few of the ideas and place them into the format of a melodic rock song - two completely opposite things that shouldn't work, but somehow do).

I'm totally with you on that - I listen to loads of different genres.

I'm just surprised by how MANY Gn'R fans love NIN. Usually GN'R fans are pretty selective and bash other bands that aren't like GN'R. It just seems odd that so many NIN fans happen to be GN'R fans and vice versa; considering how different the bands are I'm just shocked that they get the same type of crowds listening to their music.
makane
Legend

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2006, 01:22:24 PM »

GN'R, of course.

NIN's Downward is a classic, one of the best albums ever recorded, but GN'R has at least two classics, AFD and UYI I, while Lies and UYI II are great albums. NIN's Pretty Hate Machine is mediocre with 2 or 3 great songs, Fragile is good, but With Teeth is pure shit, unfortunately. And one other factor: classic GN'R were one of the best live acts ever, but NIN's live performances are not even close to that.
What?
I don't know if you've been to any Self Destruct/Fragility tours concerts(or watched videos, but NIN is in it's element in real life concert), but they don't really fall behind to anyone.
I've only been to one With Teeth tour concert and that was still pretty damn good. Ofcourse Trent is getting older, but so are Axl and Slash.

GN'R had good performances before Illusion tours, but still you can't say they were "one of the best live acts EVER", though they had their moments. But most of the Illusion and after tours were avarage or shit.

Why do you think With Teeth is shit? I think it has some great tracks, though there are a few low-points.

watch woodstock '94 and "And All That Could Have Been".
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 01:30:27 PM by makane » Logged

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
makane
Legend

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2006, 01:27:52 PM »

Dont u mean,

hihi

I'm totally with you on that - I listen to loads of different genres.

I'm just surprised by how MANY Gn'R fans love NIN. Usually GN'R fans are pretty selective and bash other bands that aren't like GN'R. It just seems odd that so many NIN fans happen to be GN'R fans and vice versa; considering how different the bands are I'm just shocked that they get the same type of crowds listening to their music.
Axl Rose says he likes Nine Inch Nails = Axl Rose's asskissers like Nine Inch Nails. (Guns N' Roses fans = Axl Rose asskissers)
I don't think NIN fans really like Guns N' Roses more than any other band. (Trent Reznor hasn't said he likes Guns N' Roses)

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2006, 03:15:24 PM »

GN'R, of course.

NIN's Downward is a classic, one of the best albums ever recorded, but GN'R has at least two classics, AFD and UYI I, while Lies and UYI II are great albums. NIN's Pretty Hate Machine is mediocre with 2 or 3 great songs, Fragile is good, but With Teeth is pure shit, unfortunately. And one other factor: classic GN'R were one of the best live acts ever, but NIN's live performances are not even close to that.
What?
I don't know if you've been to any Self Destruct/Fragility tours concerts(or watched videos, but NIN is in it's element in real life concert), but they don't really fall behind to anyone.
I've only been to one With Teeth tour concert and that was still pretty damn good. Ofcourse Trent is getting older, but so are Axl and Slash.

GN'R had good performances before Illusion tours, but still you can't say they were "one of the best live acts EVER", though they had their moments. But most of the Illusion and after tours were avarage or shit.

Why do you think With Teeth is shit? I think it has some great tracks, though there are a few low-points.

watch woodstock '94 and "And All That Could Have Been".

Unfortunately I haven't got the chance to see them performing - but I've seen a lot of their live stuff. I have the DVD you mentioned above (to tell the truth it's one of their best performances), but having seen other dvds and vids on youtube, I have to say that they are not a great live band, Trent sings out of tone 70% of the time and the band often falls apart. You can say that classic GN'R had fuck-ups as well and Axl was out-of-tone a lot of times - well, we're only humans, we make mistakes while playin' (except the mighty Dream Theater band), but comparing GN'R's concert product to NIN's, there is no doubt GN'R own NIN.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2006, 03:16:49 PM »

I don't think NIN fans really like Guns N' Roses more than any other band. (Trent Reznor hasn't said he likes Guns N' Roses)

Yes he has... albeit as a passing comment.
GeraldFord
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2006, 03:36:22 PM »

They are my two favorite bands...I couldn't say which I like better.
GeraldFord
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2006, 03:37:48 PM »

Dont u mean,

Yup, you hit the (nine inch) nail on the head. The only possible reason a GN'R fan would like NIN is because of Axl.  no
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2006, 03:47:03 PM »

Actually, I found out about Nine Inch Nails when I heard that Robin used to play for them during press for the band's New Year show in 2001.  The reason I like NIN, is first and foremost, because I wanted to find the kind of music he played in that game.  And what I heard blew my mind.  It was so unlike anything I'd ever heard before that for a long time I didn't like it... but then I heard The Perfect Drug, and I was completely won over.  And now, I feel Nine Inch Nails are to industrial rock what Guns N' Roses were to hard rock... they are equal in their fields, and I have the utmost respect for both Axl and Trent as artists.  There are some thing's about them I don't like... for example, Trent Reznor's insistence on insulting Robin all through last year, but as artists I believe they are both top of their field.
The highlight of 2005 for me was finally being able to experience a Nine Inch Nails show, and be around for a record to be released.  The highlight of 2006 has been being able to experience Guns N' Roses in concert, and hopefully being around when their record is released.
GN'R and NIN aren't the only bands I have such a high opinion of... Tool, A Perfect Circle, Pearl Jam and Jane's Addiction are just a few of the bands I'd say are of the same quality.
GN'R might be the reason I heard of Nine Inch Nails... but they're definitely not the reason I like them.
Crazyman
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2006, 03:50:23 PM »

do you think becuase axl wanted to make an industrial album means you all have to go out and say "i love NIN, industrial rules  Roll Eyes"
I liked NIN before I liked GnR...
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2006, 03:52:54 PM »

Dont u mean,

newsflash.  Robin is the lead guitarist of GNR.   Maybe you should show some respect.   
JohnnyBlade
Opening Act

« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2006, 04:02:05 PM »

this is stupid, NIN is so over rated its not even funny, whats with you people? do you think becuase axl wanted to make an industrial album means you all have to go out and say "i love NIN, industrial rules? Roll Eyes"
i mean NIN has one alright album being pretty hate machine, but i bought downward spiral and it was out my car window 20 minutes later no.
You're saying they're "over rated" when you've listened to PHM and "20 mins" of TDS?

You seem like a guy who listens an album, if it doesn't have the "AFD-first-listen-hit-run", then you decide it's shit. I undestand not everyone has to like NIN(or any other band), but that doesnt entitle to say they're "over rated".

Listen i gave it a chance and i didn't like it, infact i dislike industrial but thats me..i like metal i like black sabbath, i like motley crue, i like megadeth and pantera i like hanoi rocks, etc. so obvoulsiy industrial music isn't gonna do much of anything for me...they have some good tunes but alot of its garbage, i don't think nine inch nails is one of the bands thats has an album thats is great start to finish as most bands don't...but computers in music isn't my thing, i like guitar, bass, drums and vocals when you start throwing in two keyboard players and all kinds of synth and distorted vocals it just takes away from the basics for me.
granted i have seen the wood stock 94 preformance and i was pretty impressed but like i said its just not my scene...it seems really weird to me...its seems like the people these days either like the old guns and want nothing to with the new guns and people who like the new guns more than the old and they seem to be the people who are into all the modern style music, etc.
but anyways this all just my opion. thats the beauty of music, there is a kind for every one smoking
AtariLegend
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2006, 04:05:53 PM »

Dont u mean,

Yup, you hit the (nine inch) nail on the head. The only possible reason a GN'R fan would like NIN is because of Axl. no

If your not joking, your just being silly.
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2006, 04:25:23 PM »

GN'R, of course.

UYI II sold more copies than UYI I, both are equal and classic. GNR had 3 classic albums.
AtariLegend
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2006, 04:32:22 PM »

GN'R, of course.

PHM is far from medicore.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2006, 05:20:55 PM »

well I can see some Axl qualities in Trent.  Trent is a perfectionist.  And I consider both of them to be the greatest lyricists of our time.   
GnFnR87
Legend

GNR FOREVER!!!! AXL'S THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2006, 06:25:37 PM »

well I can see some Axl qualities in Trent.? Trent is a perfectionist.? And I consider both of them to be the greatest lyricists of our time.? ?

both are hermits who only come out of hiding when they have to.  haha. hey its true.

Shows:?? 5/17/06 @ Hammerstein, 11/10/06 @ MSG
It's so close..... i can feel it.....
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2006, 06:28:18 PM »

GN'R, of course.

PHM is far from medicore.

Too 80s synthpop for me. Some songs sound like a 16-year old boy wrote them (I mean the music not the lyrics). Something I Can Never Have is one of my all time favourite songs, and I do like Head Like A Hole, Terrible Lie, Sin and Ringfinger, but the rest doesn't excite me.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
AtariLegend
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2006, 06:40:55 PM »

well I can see some Axl qualities in Trent.  Trent is a perfectionist.  And I consider both of them to be the greatest lyricists of our time.   

both are hermits who only come out of hiding when they have to. haha. hey its true.

I'd be pretty angry at you, if I didn't know what you said was true.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2006, 09:01:19 PM »

nine inch nails. great band. im a very different fan to the usual NIN fan. i actually enjoy the later stuff more.

Fragile is my fav, and i love with_teeth.

i still think spiral is great too, pretty hate machine is alright, but at selected times of listening.

broken ep rocks, its so damn heavy.

html sucks
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: