Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:40:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  A World Without Nirvana
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A World Without Nirvana  (Read 17828 times)
AtariLegend
« on: October 14, 2006, 06:35:41 PM »

I've read many times before about how Nirvana changed music forever:
(In magazines like Q and Kerrang)

About how without Nirvana the music scene of today would be completely different.

About how when grunge fell, radio turned to Pop.

About how dark music would?ve become by the mid 90s, and how bands like GNR and would still rule the world.

About how Kurt Cobain supposedly caused Axl to have a mental breakdown, and fire the rest of the band.

Does any one really believe these kind of articles, and if so were Nirvana really so good for music after all?
lcg
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 06:41:19 PM »

imho Nirvana have done nothing to improve the music scene. They've made it a lot worse. I guess Nirvana is the reason why many kids are so "depressed".
I'm sure the music scene would have gone in the grunge direction even if Nirvana didn't exist though, but other grunge bands such as Alice In Chains and Soundgarden were much better than Nirvana imo.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 06:43:23 PM by LCG » Logged
Gaymo, the Hobbit
Banned
Legend

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 06:43:30 PM »

i think they brought a lot to music. not only was they're music great, but they also brought the aspect of being a dangerous rock band that didnt give a shit about anything back to the music industry, which i miss nowadays

The only son of a bitch with enough piss, vinegar and kill-?em-all attitude to shove an M-80 up rock?s collective ass right now is Axl Rose. [LA Weekly]
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 08:59:37 PM »

a world without nirvana...ahh yes, i can see it now, rock music would have continued to dominate and improve and get better and better.....ahh yessssss, many bands would still be around, and many would have gotten the recognition they deserved.

but they did, and killed off everything.

html sucks
VIP

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 09:10:41 PM »

In other words, Nirvana was the Nazis of the musicindustry
AtariLegend
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2006, 09:12:20 PM »

i think they brought a lot to music. not only was they're music great, but they also brought the aspect of being a dangerous rock band that didnt give a shit about anything back to the music industry, which i miss nowadays

Did GNR not do that?
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2006, 09:20:57 PM »

Nirvana wasn't viewed as a dangerous band.  I don't think they really did anything special for music, just basically pave the way for a bunch of shitty bands that would follow.  Cobain had a few good songs, but Nirvana never impressed me.  I just for the life of me don't understand how these magazines can label him one of the top guitarists of all time.  His playing was nothing special at all.  Basically Nirvana was the womb for goth to slide it's ugly wang into and impregnate to form the most ugliest evil of all........emo.  "Oh I'm so sad and gloomy, yet please love me, but not really because then it would be popular and I want to wallow in my self pity, but please still buy my record."

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
JohnnyBlade
Opening Act

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2006, 09:29:17 PM »

Nirvana wasn't viewed as a dangerous band.? I don't think they really did anything special for music, just basically pave the way for a bunch of shitty bands that would follow.? Cobain had a few good songs, but Nirvana never impressed me.? I just for the life of me don't understand how these magazines can label him one of the top guitarists of all time.? His playing was nothing special at all.? Basically Nirvana was the womb for goth to slide it's ugly wang into and impregnate to form the most ugliest evil of all........emo.? "Oh I'm so sad and gloomy, yet please love me, but not really because then it would be popular and I want to wallow in my self pity, but please still buy my record."
thanks to nirvana we have emo crying
i also think metal went to shit in the 90's where is all the good metal bands these days? oh yeah thats right there is none.
infact it just wasn't nirvana but the 90's started a big downward slide in music.  but thats just my opion. smoking
JohnnyBlade
Opening Act

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2006, 09:35:05 PM »

on another note the music scene has only one place to go and thats up. we will have to wait and see what the new genertion of kids that were not affected by the 90's have to offer.
oh and every scene dies and i give Emo and all that shit another 2 years, 3 at the most but 3 is really pushing it.
AtariLegend
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2006, 09:38:36 PM »

Inspite of lots of bad music, there was some good music to come after Nirvana like:

Ehhhhh? Himmmmmm? Rightttttttttt!

Oh yeah there was none, except from bands that were already around.
AtariLegend
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2006, 09:41:58 PM »

Nirvana wasn't viewed as a dangerous band.  I don't think they really did anything special for music, just basically pave the way for a bunch of shitty bands that would follow.  Cobain had a few good songs, but Nirvana never impressed me.  I just for the life of me don't understand how these magazines can label him one of the top guitarists of all time.  His playing was nothing special at all.  Basically Nirvana was the womb for goth to slide it's ugly wang into and impregnate to form the most ugliest evil of all........emo.  "Oh I'm so sad and gloomy, yet please love me, but not really because then it would be popular and I want to wallow in my self pity, but please still buy my record."
thanks to nirvana we have emo crying
i also think metal went to shit in the 90's where is all the good metal bands these days? oh yeah thats right there is none.
infact it just wasn't nirvana but the 90's started a big downward slide in music. but thats just my opion. smoking

I'm sure the next GNR album will end emo, and we will all be saved.
Megaguns
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2006, 10:11:12 PM »

All nirvana(among others) did was bring grunge to the mainstream, All these years later and fucking hip hop and pussy rock have taken over the airwaves, If Nirvana were still around they would be doing exactly what Pearl Jam are doing, Still releasing material but nothing groundbreaking. IMHO

beer Heres to GnR saving the day!!
DEAD HORSE
VIP

08.08.08 ?

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2006, 10:17:28 PM »

I do like Nirvana, I cant still understand why people blame Nirvana for the music industry shit, and "great bands" of the 90's dissapear..fuck, that has nothing to do! ?90's were a great decade for music, period! Nirvana didnt kill metal, grunge was a another kind of music, another way to play rock, Im not saying Kurt was the best guitar player , 'cause he wasnt, he was the anti solo god! and he knew it! ?and we know it, but the guy was talented, you cannot deny a song like "smell like teen spirit" wich was like a "my generation" from the Who. (not comparing them by the way, just an example)
Anyway, why do people say "Nirvana killed metal"?? ?fuck! thats stupid, and let me tell you, Good thing Dimebag or Phil Anselmo from Pantera wasnt listening to that shit!, ' cause Pantera's 90's albums are METAL as far as im concerned. Just an example of a 90's metal, i can give hundreds of examples of metal bands that were still "alive" in the 90's. ?
The way i see things, is that "metal" was mainstream before grunge, then grunge took that spot, but thats in your Mtv!!!  or billboard or shit of that nature.
Metal have always had  their fans already, If you are fan of metal and you blame ?a trend ? 'cause of ?"metal" going away , then you are poser! you dont need to follow trends you dont like, dont pay attention to them. period, ?trends dissapear, good bands dont, and thats why this thread exists now, ?after 12 years of Kurt Cobain's dead,  people still blame Nirvana!!?? Fuck!!! Shocked

If the world would end today... Wink
lennonisgod
VIP

TWAT

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2006, 11:07:54 PM »

Thank God for Nirvana. Thank God for all of the other Grunge bands as well.  Without the whole Seattle movement, hair bands might still exist. Nirvana wasn't the only band that helped change music like most people think and I remember back in the day, they weren't always the most popular Grunge band.  Pearl Jam was huge (and still is), plus you had Soundgarden and Alice in Chains.  So even without Nirvana, music would have still changed AND THAT'S A FACT!!  But like I said before, thank God it did. I couldn't even imagine if "Glam" was still popular. I know a ton of people here wish otherwise because that time was probably high school and college for you AND you still wish those bands were around.  I'm glad we don't have to put up with Warrant, Poison, Slaughter, White Snake, Mr. Big and all of those bands these days.  Sure Poison can still sell shows, but they can't sell albums for shit.

Social class and registers, Cocaine in the hall, All the way from California...
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2006, 11:42:05 PM »

you cannot deny a song like "smell like teen spirit" wich was like a "my generation" from the Who. (not comparing them by the way, just an example)

I strongly believe that generation's 'My Generation' was 'Youth Gone Wild' by Skid Row. I still wait for the day that my generations 'My Generation' is released. Maybe GNR will do it.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 11:53:46 PM by Robman2k9 » Logged
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2006, 12:59:36 AM »

Metallica, Death, and Pantera had much bigger impacts than Nirvana. Pantera and Metallica killed thrash (although it had long been in decline), and Death (especially with the Human album) helped make death metal the popular substitute for what thrash used to be. Of course, great bands like Cynic, Atheist, Morbid Angel, and Deicide helped too. Wink Black metal also became a distinct genre during the early 90's, moving away from death metal; they used to be very similar. Bands like Darkthrone, Immortal, and Mayhem helped develop black metal. While immature, angsty teens listened to grunge, hardcore nihilists and closet cryptofacists enjoyed the Romantic esotericism of black metal.  ok

As for grunge, Alice in Chains and Dinosaur JR were more important to its development. Nirvana helped make it popular, but unlike Death and Mayhem, they didn't bring anything innovative to the music. Without Nirvana, some other grunge band would have finished off the rotting corpse of hair metal, which was a dead genre by the late 80's anyway. Hair metal was stuff like old (pre Theater of Pain) Motley Crue, Twisted Sister, Ratt, Lizzy Borden, and Def Leppard. By the late 80's, hair metal was replaced by mediocre cock rock (Poison, Warrant, Enuff Z'Nuff), and this was replaced by grunge. That's the history.

Looking back, the only good glam bands I can think of from the late 80's are Skid Row and GnR. The vast majority seemed to have sold out in the mid 80's...
AtariLegend
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2006, 08:25:39 AM »

Metallica maybe but not Pantera.
AtariLegend
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2006, 08:44:43 AM »

From Rolling Stone: The album famously knocked Michael Jackson off the top of the charts, ended the reign of the metal hair bands and, for one brief, shining moment, made the world safe again for rock & roll.

It strikes me that some people seem to beleive that Nirvana was the only band ever to be rock & roll. They always seem to be okay with Slash, but they are always Axl haters.
pasnow
VIP

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2006, 09:41:37 AM »

Once again I'll  post the following:

In a sense, you really had to live thru Nirvana to grasp they were more that just their music (4 chords & meaningful lyrics about nothing), they lead the revolution. Would bands like Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, & AIC have still hit it big? Absolutely. "Rusty Cage" and "Man in a Box" were already hits by the time Nirvana broke, and RHCP & Jane's Addiction already had hit it big. But for some reason, some reason, Nirvana was the one that changed everything.

Don't blame Kurt, he helped music. There were plenty of great bands in the late 90's, but they weren't the one's radio stations chose to play, they chose to playLimp Bizkit & Creed & Godsmack.. Then your current emo trend that they've been playing lately. Whoever chose to push those bands into the spotlight is who's to blame, not Kurt & Nirvana.
guns_n_motley
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2006, 10:27:51 AM »

fact is, nirvana got rid of the musicianship in rock, and now everything is depressing..

you hear anyone with zeppelin or aerosmith influences on the radio in the 90s?? I doubt it...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: