Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:28:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227811 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  A World Without Nirvana
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A World Without Nirvana  (Read 18151 times)
AtariLegend
« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2006, 08:13:56 PM »

Does anyone here believe that Nirvana, effected Guns? I thought this might be brought up a bit more.

The question was Nirvana's influence was good or bad, not if they were a good band.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 08:17:03 PM by AtariLegend » Logged
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2006, 08:15:17 PM »

maybe as people, but not as a band, UYI was still massively popular. But later on, who knows
AtariLegend
« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2006, 08:18:09 PM »

After Nevermind went to No1, the UYI's sales in the US fell.
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2006, 08:19:16 PM »

still stayed on the charts for 108 weeks
AtariLegend
« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2006, 08:24:56 PM »

Axl wanted to sell 40 million combined on both albums worldwide, they done more than 35 million after their tour from what I can remember. However only like 4 million per album in the US is part of that. When AFD sold almost 20 million their alone. Axl wouldn't have liked that.
guns_n_motley
« Reply #65 on: October 16, 2006, 08:27:28 PM »

did nirvana affect guns??

Id say Yes and No.. I think they had an affect on them, but guns did alot of damage to themselves..
AtariLegend
« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2006, 08:30:25 PM »

Slash and co didn't like the pressure Axl put on them to sell albums. If they sold more in the US then maybe they all would have gotten along together much better.
guns_n_motley
« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2006, 08:54:11 PM »

Slash and co didn't like the pressure Axl put on them to sell albums. If they sold more in the US then maybe they all would have gotten along together much better.

IDK, gnr was about imploded in 1991, I think they all knew after the UYI tour it was done... axls ego had gone out of control and he thought he was like God or something.. add his Huge ego with slash and companys drug problems... Izzy left, it was falling apart....the Titanic so to speek was slowly sinking...

axl felt that he had to outdo AFD, which is why he is like he is today.. when in reality what hes doing is the exact opposite of AFd.. afd was just quick, not thought out too much raw guitar rock...

I think slash, duff, izzy etc. accept they cant make another AFD which is why theyve been putting out album after album...

AtariLegend
« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2006, 11:25:31 PM »

True, but the UYI tour finished in what 1994.
lennonisgod
VIP

TWAT

« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2006, 11:42:43 PM »

i hate these anti glam metal people.

this is how it is

nirvana produced one decent albu, only decent. They rode off the success of one single, then rode off the success of a market trend brought about by MTV. They wouldnt even be remembered now, if it wasnt for there stupid, contradictive hypocritical frontman killing himself.

All these "hair bands" as you call them, have more talent then any of those fuckers from that over rated bore of a band.

And even more to add, notice as soon as nirvana were over all the other "grunge" bands soon faded out of popularity.

nirvana would have too if kurt had have stayed alive.

funny how these "hair bands" are more remembered now, and people want that music back and class that time as "the golden age of music".

Skid row dont sound dated on slave to the grind, its a fucking awesome album.

Now you guys can go sit listening to nirvana and still pretend the whole grunge movement is happening still and feel like your apart of something.

I think it's hilarious how personal you are taking this whole thing.  I don't know what world you are living in but these "hair bands" are not worshipped like you think they are.  NOT MANY PEOPLE WANT THAT MUSIC BACK AND I DON'T KNOW WHERE THE HELL YOU GET THAT FROM???!!! (MAYBE PEOPLE HERE DO, BUT THAT MY FRIEND IS NOT A LOT OF PEOPLE) People that were huge fans of it before??  Of course they want their music back, it was all but erased from the face of Rock N' Roll history.  "The Golden Age of Music???"  Are you kidding me??  THE GOLDEN AGE??  Skid Row doesn't sound dated??  Whatever you're on, give me some bud.  You are acting pathetic and it's so funny. You're telling people to go listen to Nirvana and "pretend the grunge movement is still happening so we feel a part (two words) of something",  when you are doing the same thing but in a more pathetic way because your favorite music doesn't even matter anymore.  You are in the minority and you can argue all fucking night long, but you are.  You can sit and pretend that "hair metal" is the "Golden Age" and that it's SO IMPORTANT AND EVERYONE WANTS IT BACK if that makes you happy.  I can't stop you.  You're right, Nirvana had only one single that they rode off of. That's a dumb statement.  REALLY DUMB!!!!!!!!  You must have curled up in a ball and not turned on the radio or bought any NEW cd's for 10 years after Hair Metal was NO MORE.  Did you not go out?? Did you just stop living?? I don't understand you.  It's like you went to sleep for so many fucking years and you just woke up and act like hair metal is still relevent and it's not and it won't ever be again.  I can't believe you think Nirvana wouldn't be remembered if Kurt didn't kill himself!!!  That's another dumb statement.  You are in a fantasy world and it's all your own.  Skid Row still sounds modern in your world and all of the grunge bands are forgotten.  Keep dreaming bud, keep fucking dreaming.  Pearl Jam is bigger than all of your little hair bands combined right now and that's just how it is.  It's a fact.  Nobody lives the life and dreams that you have anymore. You probably still sit there and think about a girl that broke up with you 20 years ago because you can't get over anything. I think it's so fucking funny.  You make me laugh with everything you say and with each post it gets more and more pathetic. You keep pulling nonsense out of your ass and trying to pass it on to people as FACT and it's NOT!!!!!  I know when you claim that "Slave to the Grind" doesn't sound dated, that you haven't listened to music for 15 years and everything you say is total bull shit.  I feel sorry for you. I really do. I don't even hate hair metal but you're making me hate it because you're acting like a little fucking kid about this whole thing. I'm not like a huge Grunge follower and I don't live in the 90's like you live in the 80's still, but I think it's fucking funny how mad you get about Grunge and you yell at me like I had something to do with it. WHY DON'T YOU GO TELL THE WORLD HOW YOU FEEL AND SEE HOW MANY PEOPLE LAUGH IN YOUR FUCKING FACE ABOUT IT!!! Don't hate me cause because Grunge ruined your childhood, just make shit up about grunge bands so you feel better about yourself. That's what your good at, making shit up. "Nirvana only had one song..."  Hahahahahaha, I have nothing left to say to you but laughter and more laughter.  Bring it!!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 12:23:14 AM by lennonisgod » Logged

Social class and registers, Cocaine in the hall, All the way from California...
Stonerose
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2006, 04:33:13 AM »

I always thought nirvana were ok, even though nevermind just sounded like the pixies with heavier drums n bass, now theres a good band. Granted the american music scene before nirvana came out was a joke, you know poison, motly crue etc. The only band from that time that i like is GNR. Despite this i think nirvana killed rock n roll. Before them here was always a chance that a good rock band might come out of america, like GNR, but nirvana made it uncool to be a 'rock star'. There hasnt been a really good, huge rock n roll band since GNR, from america anyways. I think one of the reasons nivana were so influential was the fact that their songs were so simple and easy to play. If kids wanted to play Guns songs they had to have guitar lessons for like ten years.

At the end of the day i think the main reason nirvana are so influentual is coz of the fukin media. If magazines keep printin shit eventually people will start to believe it. Oh yeah and the fact that kurt killed himself. If Axl woulda killed himslef he would be the icon that kurt is today.

Now rocks dead and all we have is fukin rap and so called r&b. So in one way i wish nirvana had never happened. At least rock n roll might still be alive.
guns_n_motley
« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2006, 08:18:06 AM »

this is how it is

nirvana produced one decent albu, only decent. They rode off the success of one single, then rode off the success of a market trend brought about by MTV. They wouldnt even be remembered now, if it wasnt for there stupid, contradictive hypocritical frontman killing himself.

All these "hair bands" as you call them, have more talent then any of those fuckers from that over rated bore of a band.

And even more to add, notice as soon as nirvana were over all the other "grunge" bands soon faded out of popularity.

funny how these "hair bands" are more remembered now, and people want that music back and class that time as "the golden age of music".

Now you guys can go sit listening to nirvana and still pretend the whole grunge movement is happening still and feel like your apart of something.

I think it's hilarious how personal you are taking this whole thing.? I don't know what world you are living in but these "hair bands" are not worshipped like you think they are.? NOT MANY PEOPLE WANT THAT MUSIC BACK AND I DON'T KNOW WHERE THE HELL YOU GET THAT FROM???!!! (MAYBE PEOPLE HERE DO, BUT THAT MY FRIEND IS NOT A LOT OF PEOPLE) People that were huge fans of it before??? Of course they want their music back, it was all but erased from the face of Rock N' Roll history.? "The Golden Age of Music???"? Are you kidding me??? THE GOLDEN AGE??? Skid Row doesn't sound dated??? Whatever you're on, give me some bud.? You are acting pathetic and it's so funny. You're telling people to go listen to Nirvana and "pretend the grunge movement is still happening so we feel a part (two words) of something",? when you are doing the same thing but in a more pathetic way because your favorite music doesn't even matter anymore.? You are in the minority and you can argue all fucking night long, but you are.? You can sit and pretend that "hair metal" is the "Golden Age" and that it's SO IMPORTANT AND EVERYONE WANTS IT BACK if that makes you happy.? I can't stop you.? You're right, Nirvana had only one single that they rode off of. That's a dumb statement.? REALLY DUMB!!!!!!!!? You must have curled up in a ball and not turned on the radio or bought any NEW cd's for 10 years after Hair Metal was NO MORE.? Did you not go out?? Did you just stop living?? I don't understand you.? It's like you went to sleep for so many fucking years and you just woke up and act like hair metal is still relevent and it's not and it won't ever be again.? I can't believe you think Nirvana wouldn't be remembered if Kurt didn't kill himself!!!? That's another dumb statement.? You are in a fantasy world and it's all your own.? Skid Row still sounds modern in your world and all of the grunge bands are forgotten.? Keep dreaming bud, keep fucking dreaming.? Pearl Jam is bigger than all of your little hair bands combined right now and that's just how it is.? It's a fact.? Nobody lives the life and dreams that you have anymore. You probably still sit there and think about a girl that broke up with you 20 years ago because you can't get over anything. I think it's so fucking funny.? You make me laugh with everything you say and with each post it gets more and more pathetic. You keep pulling nonsense out of your ass and trying to pass it on to people as FACT and it's NOT!!!!!? I know when you claim that "Slave to the Grind" doesn't sound dated, that you haven't listened to music for 15 years and everything you say is total bull shit.? I feel sorry for you. I really do. I don't even hate hair metal but you're making me hate it because you're acting like a little fucking kid about this whole thing. I'm not like a huge Grunge follower and I don't live in the 90's like you live in the 80's still, but I think it's fucking funny how mad you get about Grunge and you yell at me like I had something to do with it. WHY DON'T YOU GO TELL THE WORLD HOW YOU FEEL AND SEE HOW MANY PEOPLE LAUGH IN YOUR FUCKING FACE ABOUT IT!!! Don't hate me cause because Grunge ruined your childhood, just make shit up about grunge bands so you feel better about yourself. That's what your good at, making shit up. "Nirvana only had one song..."? Hahahahahaha, I have nothing left to say to you but laughter and more laughter.? Bring it!!

dude did you even read the post?? MOST of the people defending glam metal here are UNDER 20YEARS OLD!!!

just because your in your 30s and love grunge doesnt mean your "hip" with the younger culture..

are the grung bands forgotten?? IDK about htat, but they are AS WASHED UP as most of hte 80s band.. people laugh at the grunge bands just as much...

pearl jam bigger??? hahaha motley crue had a #6 successful tour last year.. didnt see pearl jam up there.. where are the other grunge bands?? O wait in the clubs or broken up...

Fact is YOU are also holding onto a music scene that is DEAD.. you make fun of us for liking the 80s shit, but Grunge has been dead since 1994...
pasnow
VIP

« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2006, 09:24:17 AM »

Yeah Lennonisgod, I think you'd be surprised that those defending glam are younger, not older. Guns-n-motley, I'll respect your opinion, although I think it's something you really had to live thru to understand.

It wasn't just 'hair-metal', it was New Kids on the Block, Warrant, Damn Yankees, Wilson Philips, Bon Jovi etc.. The list goes on that Nirvana saved us from. Do me a favor, if you could goto youtube, and watch 3 'hair-metal' bands videos, (and throw 1 crappy 1 in, like warrant) then watch Teen Spirit. That's a glimpse of what it was like to first hear about Nirvana. And it wasn't the media which forced it on us, it was totally word of mouth, the album & video were released in Sept, the band didn't explode until December. More & more I'd find people talking about them and hearing the song.

Mr. Lee, you wrong, and please I don't wanna read another 16 year old kid post about how Nirvana would be nothing if he didn't kill himself. Time Magazine wanted to put him & Eddie Vedder on their front cover. Name 1 other rock star in their prime who was asked to be on the cover of Time. That shows you the cultural impact he had on America. To say they would be nothing is laughable. Would they have broken up, yeah I'm sure, probably around the same time as Soundgarden, but who knows, maybe Kurt or Layne Staley would be fronting VR instead of weilland.

Also, 1 decent album?? 1?? Buy 'Bleach', it was produced for $600 and holds in own against ALL of Skid Row's albums. Also Incesticide has several good songs & 2 covers. And In Utero is a great album, and was a risk, as the record company? rejected the first version (they made a few small changes to put it out). Read an interview with Steve Albini the producer (who was a well known producer for indie bands at the time), he loved working with them, but isn't sure he would have done it again because of all the bullshit the label put him thru & critized him & his talents.

1 thing I don't see posted on here is that some Nirvana songs are actual GnR chords, just restructured. I'll try & look them up or listen, but I think 1 is 'Lithium' & 'Nightrain' and I would think the end of 'Rocket Queen' was used in a Nirvana song. I'll look them up or listen to them all. I think I recall hearing 'Terretorial Pissings' was copied off a GnR song ('Anything Goes' maybe).

Stone Rose, you're right The Pixies were a great band, and Nirvana was heavily influenced by them. Another band to survive the late 80's era in addition to GnR was The Black Crowes, they were always considered credible, especially the first album.

It's funny how after 20 years you're automatically considered classic rock. Motley Crue, Skid Row are the favs of teenagers today, heck chicks even dig Bon Jovi again. These people were MIA throughout all the 90's. I suppose in 5-10 years we'll be hearing Hootie & the Blowfish all over again.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 09:31:11 AM by pasnow » Logged
guns_n_motley
« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2006, 09:41:41 AM »

Oh, dont get me wrong, I love bands like soundgarden, alice in chains... (actually seeing alice in chains soon)I just hate when people bash on the 80s bands just because of what theyve heard..

I try and keep an open mind to music.. ive listened to Nirvana, I just dont care for it much anymore...

Personally, I think MTV killed Rock...

sure, Nirvana was by word of mouth at first,(just like motley crue, wasp, quiet riot, ratt were in te early 80s) but then mtv took them and shoved them down everyones throats while then dropping older bands..

ive read interviews with bands that all of a sudden their record companys told them they werent going to promote their album, and Mtv refused to play it...

It goes in cycles I guess...

btw.. Soundgarden, alice in chains are considered classic rock now too..
lennonisgod
VIP

TWAT

« Reply #74 on: October 17, 2006, 01:09:38 PM »

this is how it is

dude did you even read the post?? MOST of the people defending glam metal here are UNDER 20YEARS OLD!!!

just because your in your 30s and love grunge doesnt mean your "hip" with the younger culture..

are the grung bands forgotten?? IDK about htat, but they are AS WASHED UP as most of hte 80s band.. people laugh at the grunge bands just as much...

pearl jam bigger??? hahaha motley crue had a #6 successful tour last year.. didnt see pearl jam up there.. where are the other grunge bands?? O wait in the clubs or broken up...

Fact is YOU are also holding onto a music scene that is DEAD.. you make fun of us for liking the 80s shit, but Grunge has been dead since 1994...

I'm not holding onto to anything FOR THE LAST TIME!!!  And don't tell me that Motley Crue can sell more tickets than Pearl Jam because that's bs.  Don't try to act like Pearl Jam is washed up or something. Then you would be lying to yourself. So, how the hell am I holding onto the Grunge scene?? I don't get it?? I've had the same argument the whole time that Grunge DEFINITELY helped kill off hair metal and so many people are getting pissed at me for it. Like I said before, don't hate me because it happened.  Do you really think I sit here and hold onto the grunge scene?? That's ridiculous. I like Nirvana a lot and Pearl Jam for that matter. Alice in Chains is another one of my favorites. But the TRUTH is I hardly ever listen to those bands very much anymore. I haven't listened to Nirvana all year YET and I have listened to Pearl Jams newest cd. As for Alice in Chains I have been listening to a few of the new live boots. I never started out making fun of anyone or their hair bands AT ALL!!!!!!!  I was attacked and I simply stuck up for myself. If you READ my posts, I SAY THAT I DON'T HATE HAIR METAL and I DON'T HATE 80's MUSIC!!!!  That's fucking nuts!!!!  So stop putting words into my mouth and trying to make me look bad.  I hate one dimensional people that think everything sucks except one form of music, which is what some of you make it seem like.  How can anyone just hate every Grunge band that came out?? There isn't one that you like?? It's like me saying that I don't like ANY hair bands. It would be stupid. I never said it and I never will because it's not true.  Fuck, the New York Dolls helped start the Glam movement in the 70's and that's one of my favorite bands of all time!!!!  I think this is a dumb argument that I didn't start but I will not back down from anybody, especially in real life, BUT WE ARE ON A FUCKING COMPUTER ARGUING!!!!!!  I just woke up and I'm eating my Honey Bunches of Oats, so my argument for now is done. Just stop putting words in my mouth. Long live Cinderella. (I do like Cinderella a lot by the way!)

Social class and registers, Cocaine in the hall, All the way from California...
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #75 on: October 17, 2006, 01:15:16 PM »

this is how it is

I think it's hilarious how personal you are taking this whole thing.  I don't know what world you are living in but these "hair bands" are not worshipped like you think they are.  NOT MANY PEOPLE WANT THAT MUSIC BACK AND I DON'T KNOW WHERE THE HELL YOU GET THAT FROM???!!! (MAYBE PEOPLE HERE DO, BUT THAT MY FRIEND IS NOT A LOT OF PEOPLE) People that were huge fans of it before??  Of course they want their music back, it was all but erased from the face of Rock N' Roll history.  "The Golden Age of Music???"  Are you kidding me??  THE GOLDEN AGE??  Skid Row doesn't sound dated??  Whatever you're on, give me some bud.  You are acting pathetic and it's so funny. You're telling people to go listen to Nirvana and "pretend the grunge movement is still happening so we feel a part (two words) of something",  when you are doing the same thing but in a more pathetic way because your favorite music doesn't even matter anymore.  You are in the minority and you can argue all fucking night long, but you are.  You can sit and pretend that "hair metal" is the "Golden Age" and that it's SO IMPORTANT AND EVERYONE WANTS IT BACK if that makes you happy.  I can't stop you.  You're right, Nirvana had only one single that they rode off of. That's a dumb statement.  REALLY DUMB!!!!!!!!  You must have curled up in a ball and not turned on the radio or bought any NEW cd's for 10 years after Hair Metal was NO MORE.  Did you not go out?? Did you just stop living?? I don't understand you.  It's like you went to sleep for so many fucking years and you just woke up and act like hair metal is still relevent and it's not and it won't ever be again.  I can't believe you think Nirvana wouldn't be remembered if Kurt didn't kill himself!!!  That's another dumb statement.  You are in a fantasy world and it's all your own.  Skid Row still sounds modern in your world and all of the grunge bands are forgotten.  Keep dreaming bud, keep fucking dreaming.  Pearl Jam is bigger than all of your little hair bands combined right now and that's just how it is.  It's a fact.  Nobody lives the life and dreams that you have anymore. You probably still sit there and think about a girl that broke up with you 20 years ago because you can't get over anything. I think it's so fucking funny.  You make me laugh with everything you say and with each post it gets more and more pathetic. You keep pulling nonsense out of your ass and trying to pass it on to people as FACT and it's NOT!!!!!  I know when you claim that "Slave to the Grind" doesn't sound dated, that you haven't listened to music for 15 years and everything you say is total bull shit.  I feel sorry for you. I really do. I don't even hate hair metal but you're making me hate it because you're acting like a little fucking kid about this whole thing. I'm not like a huge Grunge follower and I don't live in the 90's like you live in the 80's still, but I think it's fucking funny how mad you get about Grunge and you yell at me like I had something to do with it. WHY DON'T YOU GO TELL THE WORLD HOW YOU FEEL AND SEE HOW MANY PEOPLE LAUGH IN YOUR FUCKING FACE ABOUT IT!!! Don't hate me cause because Grunge ruined your childhood, just make shit up about grunge bands so you feel better about yourself. That's what your good at, making shit up. "Nirvana only had one song..."  Hahahahahaha, I have nothing left to say to you but laughter and more laughter.  Bring it!!

im 16. i have a girlfriend thanks. the majority of people who think this are also my age.

did you ever learn what a paragraph was?

glam metal lasted most of the 80s and is coming back..
grunge lasted for bout 4 years, at max and isnt coming back, pearl jams new stuff isnt anything like there old stuff, there not a grunge band and they never were. How can you tell me 10 sounds like in utero by nirvana? You my friend make me laugh, especially with your block of writing that was very awkward to read. And nirvana ARE only known for that song.

edit ill add one extra thing

and the fact that your name is "lenningisgod" really gives you no right to say any type of music is outdated when your worship a man who was part of a band who are very dated musically and his own solo stuff is very dated musically.

Dont worry, we can all take pictures of ourselves naked with our naked wives and shove it on the front cover of our album cause everyone wants to see that.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 01:44:43 PM by mrlee » Logged

html sucks
JohnnyBlade
Opening Act

« Reply #76 on: October 17, 2006, 05:03:03 PM »

if you think pearl turd sells more tickets than motley crue you are insane and probably living in a hole since 94.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 05:18:04 PM by JohnnyBlade » Logged
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #77 on: October 17, 2006, 05:15:51 PM »

if you think pear turd sells more tickets than motley crue you are insane and probably living in a hole since 94.

lmao what a quote! hihi

html sucks
Stonerose
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #78 on: October 17, 2006, 08:12:17 PM »

Guys knock nrivana all you want, but leave John Lennon out of it.
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #79 on: October 17, 2006, 08:24:38 PM »

I hate when people bash bands they've never listened to. Skid Row was good, in my opinion better than most grunge bands. Nirvana was ok, I don't really like them, or listen to them, so I personally have no right to bash them. In my opinion Alice In Chains was better than Nirvana. The music of 80's hair metal may live on, but the image has not endured aswell. You don't see Motley Crue dressing up like women anymore like they used to. Also, Skid row were not hair metal.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: