Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 08:10:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228060 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Ten years ago 10-31-96
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ten years ago 10-31-96  (Read 15586 times)
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2006, 08:32:43 PM »

Slash left Guns N' Roses. Hard to believe it's been ten years.

Funny, I didn't even keep count.

FINCK & THAL in '08!

"Anybody who is sitting here - in the year 2007 - and arguing that this band isn't guns n roses has to be half retarded." - Jim Bob, HTGTH poster, 2007.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
MarioGunner
Rocker

I should've known you're crazy

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2006, 08:53:54 PM »

Ten years ago, WOW!!!     and Axl really had a hard time finding the way without his lead guitarist    peace peace

I always have thought that if Slash would have agreed to do something industrial back in the day, we would have gotten the follow up to the spagetti incident a long time ago, and inevitably after not being so succesful with that, Guns N' Roses would have gone to basics again, and reinvent themselves....  I really think Slash should have given it a shot, just for fun, but I guess Axl's behavior also killed the fun back in the day, wanting to take control over the band, that wasn't nice   Undecided

And of course the writing process wasn't the same without Izzy there...he was the equilibrium there... no doubt about it.

Well, the new guys are cool, but I still miss the old band... That's just me though.

You can run like a river
Till you end up in the sea
And you run till night is black
And keep on going in your dream

My NEW Trading Space http://www.freewebs.com/mariogunner/
BangoSkank
Rocker

"i'm gonna put my evil inside you!"

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2006, 08:56:12 PM »

and to think, half the world's population still doesn't know he has left...

who will be the last to die for a mistake?
vietnow138
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2006, 09:09:07 PM »

#6. There will be a new Guns N' Roses 12 song minimum recording with
three original "B" sides.

Anybody know what ever happened to this?
axl2
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2006, 09:09:25 PM »

Ten years ago, WOW!!!     and Axl really had a hard time finding the way without his lead guitarist    peace peace

I always have thought that if Slash would have agreed to do something industrial back in the day, we would have gotten the follow up to the spagetti incident a long time ago, and inevitably after not being so succesful with that, Guns N' Roses would have gone to basics again, and reinvent themselves....  I really think Slash should have given it a shot, just for fun, but I guess Axl's behavior also killed the fun back in the day, wanting to take control over the band, that wasn't nice   Undecided

And of course the writing process wasn't the same without Izzy there...he was the equilibrium there... no doubt about it.

Well, the new guys are cool, but I still miss the old band... That's just me though.

Its funny it all stems from 2 different ideas but im not getting slash here. I know the stones broke up for a short time for similar reasons But i mean the stones would experiment a lot. If the new music is any indication to me its just moving on with the GNR sound. Thats why i somewhat part with axl's side.

I love both i mean slash is my favorite guitarist and theres prolly more to it. but this is not the way to leave GNR and the fact that Axl bought GNR has NOTHING to do with this. Slash left the band. I remember Keither telling slash You NEVER quit. and i agree. experiment a bit and see what comes of it. I believ both slash and axl are stubrun musicians.

www.bluejayfever.com

Blue Jays Site/Forum...Need Some Members For This Board. We Plan To Make It The Best Jays Site Online.
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2006, 09:12:16 PM »

Its probally in a vault somewhere, or been destroyed... Hopefully the first, if theres any chance we'll ever hear it....
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2006, 09:22:57 PM »

Its probally in a vault somewhere, or been destroyed... Hopefully the first, if theres any chance we'll ever hear it....

It's still in Axl's disc changer in his Lamborghini...

"Anybody who is sitting here - in the year 2007 - and arguing that this band isn't guns n roses has to be half retarded." - Jim Bob, HTGTH poster, 2007.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
evergreen_layne
Rocker

People have waited a long time for this

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2006, 09:44:07 PM »

I remember getting the news from Rolling Stone Magazine in the library at my college. ( Im gettin old!) I remember Slash saying in an interview around this time period that Axl wanted to sound like Pearl Jam and Slash was not into that. Slash wanted to move forward with the GNR sound, but did not want to stray too far from the blues based rock influences. Axl wanted to experiment a lot more than Slash did.

Yup. Hard to believe... but the internet still wasn't that big a deal back in.... so instead we'd get these little brief mentions in Rolling Stone every 6 months... "Axl Rose is in the studio with Duff McKagan, Paul Huge, Robin Finck and Chris Vrenna... hard at work on an industrial-style Guns N' Roses album slated for a late 1997 release. Matt Sorum and Dizzy Reed may or may not be in the band according to Doug Goldstein. Moby is producing. Slash is touring with Blues Ball." And that would be all we had to go on for the next 6-12 months.... I don't know how I survived.Shocked

Oh yeah I remember those days too well.  I had just started college in '96 and I was coming back into my dormroom when my roommate told me he just saw on MTV that Slash had left GNR.  Its crazy how clearly you remember things that kinda shook your world up a little bit.  It seemed like the internet was taking off by then with Yahoo! leading the way and the dot-com boom was gathering steam.  So there was some info out there on GNR including this site that came online at almost the exact same time.  There were rumored track listings for the new album and countless rumors swirling.  I still get the same thrill every time I've checked for GNR news on HTGTH and other (lesser) sources for these last 10 years.  Its my Prozac.

11.08.02 - Tacoma Dome, Tacoma, WA
12.10.06 - Everett Events Center, Everett, WA
12.11.06 - Rose Garden Arena, Portland, OR
//JK75
VIP

It's been a long time for me

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2006, 09:56:22 PM »

10 years ago, tomorrow........

Slash wasnt cool anymore.
 Undecided

Yeah and if Slash come back he will be cool again !!!
bahhh  no

//JK
dodger girl
Rocker

art is resistance

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2006, 10:07:52 PM »

was it in Halloween?

wow, it's happened lots of things in these 10 years.. no one at that time would have imagined this turn of current events.. who would have thought at that time when everything seemed lost and destroyed forever that 10 years later GN'R would be touring again peace

and it's kind of ironic that 10 years later all the things that are preceeded by a NOT in that fax are now a YES

Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2006, 10:11:23 PM »

Its funny it all stems from 2 different ideas but im not getting slash here. I know the stones broke up for a short time for similar reasons But i mean the stones would experiment a lot. If the new music is any indication to me its just moving on with the GNR sound. Thats why i somewhat part with axl's side.

If you listen to OMG and the 99 demo of IRS, it is pretty clear Axl was in a pretty hardcore industrial sound type mode in the late 90's. I am pretty sure that sound is what Slash was referring to when he has talked about Axl wanting to be like NIN.

The newer version of IRS sounds much more rock, and less industrial sounding than the demo from 99. I get the sense that the music we ultimately hear on CD will be closer to the sound Slash would have wanted 10 years ago. Axl just had to go through his industrial phase to realize it wasn't going to work, which is why we never saw an album 6-7 years ago.
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2006, 10:13:49 PM »

10 years ago, tomorrow........

Slash wasnt cool anymore.
 Undecided

Yeah and if Slash come back he will be cool again !!!
bahhh? no

Izzy left GN'R and didn't loose his coolness tho...

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
zakas80
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2006, 10:15:36 PM »

If you listen to OMG and the 99 demo of IRS, it is pretty clear Axl was in a pretty hardcore industrial sound type mode in the late 90's. I am pretty sure that sound is what Slash was referring to when he has talked about Axl wanting to be like NIN.

The newer version of IRS sounds much more rock, and less industrial sounding than the demo from 99. I get the sense that the music we ultimately hear on CD will be closer to the sound Slash would have wanted 10 years ago. Axl just had to go through his industrial phase to realize it wasn't going to work, which is why we never saw an album 6-7 years ago.
very good points and i think you're right but i have to believe there was a little more to slash's departure then just a disagreement in the musical direction of the band

Its what used to be's not there for me
And oughta find someone that belonged insane like i do
LeftToDecay
VIP

i'd love to pull the wires from the wall

« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2006, 10:47:56 PM »

Whaaat?! Slash has left GNR?!Seriously? Ahh fuck:(
What do you guys think, should Axl change the name of the band now?!

this is what you should fear
you are what you should fear
bigbri
VIP

"I come in peace."

« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2006, 10:59:38 PM »

I thought Buckethead was just Slash with a mask and KFC bucket? WTF rant But seriously, who's Slash?

guns_n_roses
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2006, 11:08:19 PM »

I remember getting the news from Rolling Stone Magazine in the library at my college. ( Im gettin old!) I remember Slash saying in an interview around this time period that Axl wanted to sound like Pearl Jam and Slash was not into that. Slash wanted to move forward with the GNR sound, but did not want to stray too far from the blues based rock influences. Axl wanted to experiment a lot more than Slash did.

Yup. Hard to believe... but the internet still wasn't that big a deal back in.... so instead we'd get these little brief mentions in Rolling Stone every 6 months... "Axl Rose is in the studio with Duff McKagan, Paul Huge, Robin Finck and Chris Vrenna... hard at work on an industrial-style Guns N' Roses album slated for a late 1997 release. Matt Sorum and Dizzy Reed may or may not be in the band according to Doug Goldstein. Moby is producing. Slash is touring with Blues Ball." And that would be all we had to go on for the next 6-12 months.... I don't know how I survived.Shocked

That is so fuckin sad. wow today is a sad day

"Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
You know I'd like to hurt you
But my conscience always tells me no"
MarioGunner
Rocker

I should've known you're crazy

« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2006, 11:19:38 PM »

THAT'S JUST WHAT i SAID............

You can run like a river
Till you end up in the sea
And you run till night is black
And keep on going in your dream

My NEW Trading Space http://www.freewebs.com/mariogunner/
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2006, 11:36:57 PM »

10-31-06 Chinese Democracy appears on the shelves.  Axl's sense of humor at its best  hihi
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 11:55:26 PM by ShotgunBlues1978 » Logged
MATT-A-REAL-FAN
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2006, 11:46:11 PM »

As much as we may have all wanted him in- he may very well be dead right now if he stayed- that's apparently how depressed and disconnected he felt about the state of GN'R at that time. Glad he's found VR, and still remains a rock icon to this day. Great to see Axl on good streak these days as well.

Yeah,I wouldn't make that "rock icon" statement just yet......I mean,you're not THAT cool if your doing a fuckin' Volkswagon commercial.
 It's one thing to have your music played in a commercial and it's an ENTIRE different animal to actually APPEAR in one. Slash doesn't need the fuckin' money. It only makes him look sad.

People not in the "know" about him and the new version of GN'R will say "Wow,that guy from Guns N' Roses has really fallen,huh? Reduced to making commercials." I was embarrassed FOR him when I saw it and he doesn't even know me!

And Velvet Revolver's "Contraband" was cool for like 5 minutes. I bought it the first day,solely on the tracks "Slither" and "Set Me Free",which are still good but,they didn't make any history or move mountains with it and I barely even play it any more.

Axl wants to experiment and try new things (we knew this back from "My World"-which was AHEAD of it's time and I HATED it back then and now think it's fuckin' cool-Axl knew it then) and Slash needs to take off the fuckin' blinders and realize that it's not 1990. He's still an amazing guitar player but,he's mindset is stuck in one gear,I believe.

?ADAPT OR DIE. That is how life is. In all areas and situations.
I mean,how many of you still play tapes man?!? What loser is holding on to their 8 tracks??? Have many of you listened to the "new" songs from Motley Crue or Aerosmith? How about AC/DC?
Can you tell the difference from their earlier songs and now? Have they grown as a band or have they tried to hold on to an era that has passed them by?!? ?

?THEY SUCK,is the answer. ?yes

Axl knows this fact of life and he refuses to watch this band become a musical joke. Granted,he's been written off as a joke for not releasing CD yet,et.al.,but,as of this post his integrity and legacy are currently intact as spectacular due to his past work and will have another chapter written when Chinese Democracy released.
He doesn't want to have people say/write ?"Yeah,it's the same GN'R....no real leap forward here....just a rehash"...etc.

You get the point.

Axl is right and Slash is doing a fuckin' Volkswagon commercial. ?Grin

? ?MATT

?P.S.- Oh and Slash will cry ?Cry when he hears Chinese Democracy and realize that he should have showed up at Axl's door at 5 A.M. a whoooole lot sooner!!! ?yes

BangoSkank
Rocker

"i'm gonna put my evil inside you!"

« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2006, 12:08:30 AM »

?ADAPT OR DIE. That is how life is. In all areas and situations.

If GNR Adapted to the bullshit puss rock of the 80s we would never had appetite fior destruction.

who will be the last to die for a mistake?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: