Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 01:27:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Concerns of the album's release date from a music store employee
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Concerns of the album's release date from a music store employee  (Read 24045 times)
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #100 on: November 08, 2006, 01:28:58 PM »

I am an ingnorant person, huh??? Or, are you saying I am ignorant on this particluar subject??? Clarify....or your ignorance will indeed have shined.

On the subject. That is what we are discussing, yes?

Nothing is impossible.? Period.? You see the world as limited then you are limited.

Did you get that from one of Merck's press releases?

Axl has broken ALL the industry rules around this album.? Ten years and 15 million dollars in the making.

Those are record standards. Not retail standards. Every single thing you find in a store follows a procedure to find its way to that shelf. There are laws that retailers must follow regarding how merchandise is distributed, received, etc., because if it's done incorrectly then money can be lost on both ends and lawsuits can be filed and so on and so forth.

What makes you think he will "follow your industry rules" when it comes to the release of the most anticipated cd release in the history of rock 'n' roll?

Please. If you think it's the most anticipated release in rock n' roll history then maybe I take back what I said above and you really are just an overall ignorant person.

GN'R fans are looking forward to this. The general public still thinks it's a punchline to a bad joke and the press uses Chinese Democracy as a running gag, too.

I'm not dissing the album - I can't wait to hear it. But not many outside of the GN'R bubble share our unadulterated enthusiasm.

Retail stores aren't going to collectively gasp and shriek, "OMIGOD! CHINESE DEMOCRACY!!! GET IT TO THE SHELVES, NOW!!! IT'S THE MOST ANTICIPATED ALBUM IN ROCK N' ROLL HISTORY, IT...MUST...BE...DISPLAYED!"

They won't treat it any differently than any other album release. That same Tuesday other albums will be dropped and the Tuesday afterwards more will be released from other artists.

Why did we know in great advance that "Greatest Hits" was coming out?? It was released by the same record company...? Do they now have a different policy when releasing CD?? They even had commercials for the Greatest Hits album.? Why wouldn't they invest in new commercials.. Cause it is not coming out right now.? That is why.? I hope it does, but with no hype, it will sell less then VR.

You heard about the GH, because it was being released AGAINST the wishes of the band, including Axl and Slash & Duff, whose lawyers teamed up to sue, in order to bar it's release.

Neither party wanted it to be released, but if it was imminent they wanted to have some say so in the tracklist. The GH was basically thrown together and put out to make money on the GN'R name.

You heard about it, because Axl didn't have a hand in it's release. Otherwise, it might've been different. Also keep in mind, comparing a compliation release of previously released material is not near as big of a deal, as putting out an all-new record.

"Anybody who is sitting here - in the year 2007 - and arguing that this band isn't guns n roses has to be half retarded." - Jim Bob, HTGTH poster, 2007.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
daviebuckethead
VIP

it'd be a long time for anyone..........

« Reply #101 on: November 08, 2006, 01:34:11 PM »

Please. If you think it's the most anticipated release in rock n' roll history then maybe I take back what I said above and you really are just an overall ignorant person.

GN'R fans are looking forward to this. The general public still thinks it's a punchline to a bad joke and the press uses Chinese Democracy as a running gag, too.

I'm not dissing the album - I can't wait to hear it. But not many outside of the GN'R bubble share our unadulterated enthusiasm.

Retail stores aren't going to collectively gasp and shriek, "OMIGOD! CHINESE DEMOCRACY!!! GET IT TO THE SHELVES, NOW!!! IT'S THE MOST ANTICIPATED ALBUM IN ROCK N' ROLL HISTORY, IT...MUST...BE...DISPLAYED!"

They won't treat it any differently than any other album release. That same Tuesday other albums will be dropped and the Tuesday afterwards more will be released from other artists.

i think you're probably right, i think hardly anyone gives a fuck outside the GnR community because they dont believe its gonna happen. the press makes jokes about the album when reviewing shows.

i think until the album is actually available to buy, then not a lot of people will care.

i think it will be on MTV news (if that still exists, i dont watch MTV anymore), with a "oh yeah, remember that album, the one that cost blah blah blah blah blah, its actually out now"

then they'll start saying stuff like "rose and his hired guns".........and we'll all get pissed off, honestly, thats the way its gonna be! hihi

everytime i see them makes me wish i had a gun.....
jake.e.lee
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #102 on: November 08, 2006, 01:34:26 PM »

I think it would help if he actually had musicians playing with him that were better known. I mean the average G n R fan has no idea who some of these guys are like Robin Finch or whoever else he has playing for him. I mean come on Axl get some decent musicians with somewhat of a name and that will help out alot. I hope the album is decent and il check it out but to expect another UYI 1 and 2 would be far fetched.

What if this is the real Jake E Lee?? He could replace one of the gunners.....? Maybe he is asking for the gig?? In case you guys don't know, Jake E. Lee is a major badass.? Played with Ozzy after Rhoads and in a band called Badlands.
Unfortunately im not the real Jake but it would be great if Jake and ol Axl hooked up wouldnt it. Jake put out an album of cover tunes ealier in the year called Retraced and hes still got the chops.
Duffio
Rocker

uh oh, they're back...

« Reply #103 on: November 08, 2006, 01:36:41 PM »

I think it would help if he actually had musicians playing with him that were better known. I mean the average G n R fan has no idea who some of these guys are like Robin Finch or whoever else he has playing for him. I mean come on Axl get some decent musicians with somewhat of a name and that will help out alot. I hope the album is decent and il check it out but to expect another UYI 1 and 2 would be far fetched.
<~~~ this statement makes me laugh so much.... Axl gave a bunch of people during UYI tours a name.....not the other way, teddy zig zag??? tracy and roberta?? the guys that were in gn'r gave themselves a name while IN gn'r... slash?? pffffft he was a nobody, axl??? a pompous young kid with a very wide eyed view of the world?? duff?? izzy??? izzy didn't even want to be world famous..... steven?? come on ..... learn to be a little smarter, Mr. Finck is supposed to be Slash's replacement, bumblefoot is supposed to be a 2nd lead, and fortus is supposed to be rhythm, from what axl said a long time ago when paul huge/tobias was still working with him... ?and having a UY dual albums would suck... it wouldn't work well in the current events in music right now..

EDIT: i forgot to mention the horn players who had no name and still don't.
jake.e.lee
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #104 on: November 08, 2006, 01:37:27 PM »

i think you're probably right, i think hardly anyone gives a fuck outside the GnR community because they dont believe its gonna happen. the press makes jokes about the album when reviewing shows.

i think until the album is actually available to buy, then not a lot of people will care.

i think it will be on MTV news (if that still exists, i dont watch MTV anymore), with a "oh yeah, remember that album, the one that cost blah blah blah blah blah, its actually out now"

then they'll start saying stuff like "rose and his hired guns".........and we'll all get pissed off, honestly, thats the way its gonna be! hihi
You should see what those morons on Blabbermouth say about ol Axl ?:rofl:some of that stuff is hillarious ?rofl
jake.e.lee
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #105 on: November 08, 2006, 01:42:06 PM »

<~~~ this statement makes me laugh so much.... Axl gave a bunch of people during UYI tours a name.....not the other way, teddy zig zag??? tracy and roberta?? the guys that were in gn'r gave themselves a name while IN gn'r... slash?? pffffft he was a nobody, axl??? a pompous young kid with a very wide eyed view of the world?? duff?? izzy??? izzy didn't even want to be world famous..... steven?? come on ..... learn to be a little smarter, Mr. Finck is supposed to be Slash's replacement, bumblefoot is supposed to be a 2nd lead, and fortus is supposed to be rhythm, from what axl said a long time ago when paul huge/tobias was still working with him... ?and having a UY dual albums would suck... it wouldn't work well in the current events in music right now..

EDIT: i forgot to mention the horn players who had no name and still don't.
Dude trust me most people still have no idea who Bumblfoot or Zig Zag are. And i was refering to the current members of the group not the original 5. Look im not trying to argue with anybody all im saying is that IMO he could have chosen better musicians thats all. But like i said il be buying that CD no matter who plays on it the second it hits the stores  beer
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #106 on: November 08, 2006, 01:52:34 PM »

What if this is the real Jake E Lee?? He could replace one of the gunners.....? Maybe he is asking for the gig?? In case you guys don't know, Jake E. Lee is a major badass.? Played with Ozzy after Rhoads and in a band called Badlands.
Unfortunately im not the real Jake but it would be great if Jake and ol Axl hooked up wouldnt it. Jake put out an album of cover tunes ealier in the year called Retraced and hes still got the chops.

There's a reason Jake got replaced by Zakk "GOD" Wylde.

"Anybody who is sitting here - in the year 2007 - and arguing that this band isn't guns n roses has to be half retarded." - Jim Bob, HTGTH poster, 2007.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #107 on: November 08, 2006, 02:11:58 PM »

Yea but this isnt really G n R its just Axl and a bunch of hired GUNS so i think a little extra marketing would help alot. I know il buy it the second it comes out but im sure alot of people will be skeptical.

Actually Slash, Duff, Steven & Matt were hired GUNS.

Axl & Izzy founded the band.

Stop this nonsense Axlite bullshit.

Yes, Axl, Izzy and some other guys founded GN'R. They played together for like 3 months. Then Duff, Slash and Steven joined the band. GN'R haven't done jackshit before Slash & Co joined. These 5 guys made Guns N' Roses, not Tracii Guns or Robert Gardner. They wrote the albums we all love. (I guess you still like the classic records otherwise it's hard to call yourself a GN'R fan.) Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven were members. The others (from Dizzy and Matt to Robin and Frank Ferrer) are employees. Hence the name 'Hired Guns'. Get real and stop posting insanity.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #108 on: November 08, 2006, 02:18:07 PM »

Ummm, I like Zakk, but Jake smokes him... ?Most players know this. ?Jake E Lee is a major bad ass..

http://www.dinosaurrockguitar.com/bios/Lee.shtml

Wylde is a good songwriter though. ?
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #109 on: November 08, 2006, 02:54:01 PM »

Yea but this isnt really G n R its just Axl and a bunch of hired GUNS so i think a little extra marketing would help alot. I know il buy it the second it comes out but im sure alot of people will be skeptical.

Yes, Axl, Izzy and some other guys founded GN'R. They played together for like 3 months. Then Duff, Slash and Steven joined the band. GN'R haven't done jackshit before Slash & Co joined. These 5 guys made Guns N' Roses, not Tracii Guns or Robert Gardner. They wrote the albums we all love. (I guess you still like the classic records otherwise it's hard to call yourself a GN'R fan.) Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven were members. The others (from Dizzy and Matt to Robin and Frank Ferrer) are employees. Hence the name 'Hired Guns'. Get real and stop posting insanity.

Facts are facts.

They were all hired Guns except for Axl & Izzy. If you Slashites really want to make this argument, we can play.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
EstrangedReality
« Reply #110 on: November 08, 2006, 02:57:56 PM »

Facts are facts.

They were all hired Guns except for Axl & Izzy. If you Slashites really want to make this argument, we can play.

Dude, that's not the argument people maintain. I'm not a "Slashite" at all but I've never heard any of them argue against the fact that he was hired after the band was formed early on.

However, that's not the point. Who was in the band when they recorded and released AFD? Who was in the band when they peaked at number one, became popular? Who was in the band when the solos for SCOM, Estranged, November Rain, Paradise City, Don't Cry, and other hits songs were written?

Axl and Izzy founded the band but they didn't become popular until they hired new people. Axl, Izzy, Slash, Duff and Steven became Guns N' Roses in the public's collective consciousness because that is who was in the band when they succeeded.

Until new Guns N' Roses release an album that succeeds well there will always be people who complain about the new lineup.

The fact that the primary lead guitarist for the album - Buckethead - has left already won't help much, but at least once the album actually drops people will realize what they're capable of.
jake.e.lee
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #111 on: November 08, 2006, 02:59:31 PM »

Yea because Ozzy is a drunk and Jake was to good to be playing for that clown anyway. In Zakk Ozzy found a fellow boozehound who would kiss his ass and do what he was told. It is well known that Jake was tired of Ozzy's drunken bufoonery and had enough of him. So your right there was several reasons why Jake was replaced and skill or talent had nothing to do with it.
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #112 on: November 08, 2006, 03:04:57 PM »

Yea because Ozzy is a drunk and Jake was to good to be playing for that clown anyway. In Zakk Ozzy found a fellow boozehound who would kiss his ass and do what he was told. It is well known that Jake was tired of Ozzy's drunken bufoonery and had enough of him. So your right there was several reasons why Jake was replaced and skill or talent had nothing to do with it.

Jake E. Lee, jamming on such crapsics as Shot In The Dark.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
jake.e.lee
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #113 on: November 08, 2006, 03:13:41 PM »

Jake E. Lee, jamming on such crapsics as Shot In The Dark.
Aww man your missing the boat here. Its not Jake's fault Ozzy writes crappy songs. Check out Voodoo Highway and Badlands (ST) and youl see what i mean dude. And hey i like Zakk i just think that Jake is a better axeman.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #114 on: November 08, 2006, 03:35:43 PM »

Jake is a better Axe man.  Players know.  Zakk is awesome and I love Pride and Glory.  Jake is the real deal.
Slashead
Banned
VIP

« Reply #115 on: November 08, 2006, 03:46:59 PM »

Izzy said some years ago that Axl and SLASH earned more than him, that's one of the many reasons why he decided to leave.

So, the "employee" Slash earned more than "founder" Izzy... And an even stranger thing is that "employee" Slash earned as much as "mastermind/superboss/God" Axl... Very strange...

The truth is that until Slash came in, Guns N'Roses was nothing.

I'll download it !
jake.e.lee
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #116 on: November 08, 2006, 04:17:53 PM »

Jake is a better Axe man.? Players know.? Zakk is awesome and I love Pride and Glory.? Jake is the real deal.
I loved Pride and Glory as well and Zakk did his best work on that CD. I wish Jake wasnt such a recluse but i guess some people arent into the whole rock star thing.
kever20
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #117 on: November 08, 2006, 04:58:13 PM »

(S)tores require advance notice. Shelving and promotions are scheduled. You can't announce an album a week in advance - there will be no room for the album in stores and it will get shelved somewhere where it isn't even visible. And the new releases won't be shelved under Guns N' Roses because you can't fit more than a few albums under an artist header card - stores don't devote an entire wall just to GN'R. So they're going to get stuck with three copies of Chinese Democracy under the GN'R section and the rest will be in overstock.

True enough. I'm in a position much the same. But then again, depending on what kind of a music store you're an employee of (independent or big box) you could very easily set up some last minute, night-before-the-release display. We did that (not at all by choice, I assure you!) with the new DVD release of the original Star Wars trilogy at KMart. We put up a few of those cardboard displays, and that was the only stock we had out on the floor: about 20 of each format of each movie. If others wanted them, we could easily get to the stockroom and bring stuff out.

I was actually fairly suprised the other day, because we were putting out more seasonal specific merchandise on the floor, and I came across boxes marked DO NOT PLACE ON SALES FLOOR BEFORE_____ . I thought to myself, "Ooh boy!" And I popped the box open, just to find some gay Sopranos game. My point here is: The Sopranos game was online, and it was slated for a release. We at KMart (for whatever reason), didn't have it on any kind of manifest, and we didn't know we were 'supposed' to have any until we looked in the Sunday morning ad, in anticipation for Tuesday.

Also: releases are subject to change. Some hiphop/rap album was advertised in the paper, but it was pulled two days before it hit shelves. I forgot who it was. So, the converse of that: knowledge of a product can be distributed two days before projected dates of management. Just something to think about....

Everything was going great, but first the thing with the website happened. They promised video, it wasn't delivered, and then they just completely removed it. And there haven't been any significant updates in weeks, save one, which was swiftly deleted for no explanatory reason.

Well. I was thinking this might have something to do with the chick that was flashing the camera. Maybe they decided not to run it, or any other footage, because of that... Just an idea, because I doubt that's a good enough reason. It's GNR for Christ's sake!

/Kevin

BTW- What is the music store you work out of? Independent? Big Box?

Convicted for murder,
The bastards run free
Out on parole, out on the prowl
Freed on the bail paid by the thief
Justice supreme, the liars all ream
bringu2yourknees
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #118 on: November 08, 2006, 05:19:01 PM »

Eveyone is entitled to believe what they want to.  I just don't see how not having shelf room in a store would be any kind of problem.  If you go to Best Buy for example, there is always at least one dvd/game/cd free standing unit devoted to a particular title.  So yes, there are many reasons that one could point to, that point to no imminent release.  But I for one don't buy this excuse at all.
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #119 on: November 08, 2006, 05:48:16 PM »

It is curious.  For fun, I called about 6 record stores about CD release date.  As expected I recieved some chuckles and sarcastic comments. The funniest comment was the clerk saying...."wow, its finally coming out?"....um, bud, thats why I am calling you, and you're asking me if it coming out?

After they were unable to tell me a release date, I would then ask them what is the time frame "needed" for a release date. They all told me it could happen as instant as a box of the CDs showing up at the door, so timeframe would not be an issue.  They told me it is very pheasable to get a quick release date and put the cd on the shelves. Maybe who I spoke with doesn't know shit, or it can vary from record store to record store. I got the vibe that a "surpise"  release would be no issue for the store...who knows. Grasping for hope and straws here.

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »