Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 05:08:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227942 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  AFD Voted #1 Rock Album Of All Time By Kerrang
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: AFD Voted #1 Rock Album Of All Time By Kerrang  (Read 6594 times)
nonlinear
VIP

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2006, 02:08:47 PM »

you guys are crazy calling AFD the best rock album of all time. I would say it's in the top 20 or so, but definately not the best ever. You can't even compare AFD to albums like the beatles' white album, abbey road, and sgt. sepper's, Dylan's Blood on the Tracks or Highway 61 revisited, etc. (the list goes on). AFD is a fucking great album but definately isn't in the league that these other albums are in, as far as what they did for changing music etc. AFD has a lot of great songs but didn't really change the way people approach pop music.

Since you decided to name every album that came out before I could wipe my own ass, let me say that in my OPINION it's the best album of my time.

OK, well I still say that pretty hate machine, nevermind, and OK computer are better albums

"This isn't McDonald's or Burger King - it isn't 'Have it your way.'"
- Axl Rose, as cited by Del James
TheMole
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2006, 02:11:23 PM »

you guys are crazy calling AFD the best rock album of all time.  I would say it's in the top 20 or so, but definately not the best ever.  You can't even compare AFD to albums like the beatles' white album, abbey road, and sgt. sepper's, Dylan's Blood on the Tracks or Highway 61 revisited, etc. (the list goes on).  AFD is a fucking great album but definately isn't in the league that these other albums are in, as far as what they did for changing music etc.  AFD has a lot of great songs but didn't really change the way people approach pop music.

For starters, The Beatles, nor Dylan are rock. Secondly, GNR did with one album what took the aforementioned bands several albums to achieve. And your last remark is just... just really... really... wrong!

GNR & Nirvana were the Beatles & Stones of their decade. There has not been a new GNR yet, although Nirvana has been mimicked a dozen times in their day and age.
beerman
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2006, 02:13:03 PM »

you guys are crazy calling AFD the best rock album of all time. I would say it's in the top 20 or so, but definately not the best ever. You can't even compare AFD to albums like the beatles' white album, abbey road, and sgt. sepper's, Dylan's Blood on the Tracks or Highway 61 revisited, etc. (the list goes on). AFD is a fucking great album but definately isn't in the league that these other albums are in, as far as what they did for changing music etc. AFD has a lot of great songs but didn't really change the way people approach pop music.

Since you decided to name every album that came out before I could wipe my own ass, let me say that in my OPINION it's the best album of my time.

OK, well I still say that pretty hate machine, nevermind, and OK computer are better albums

Cool, that's what's great about opinions, we all have them.

5/91 AlpineValley
4/92 RosemontHorizon
1/01 HOB Vegas
11/02 AllstateArena
11/06 AllstateArena
11/11 AllstateArena
2/12 HOB Chicago
4/16 T-Mobile Vegas
7/16 SoldierField
11/17 UnitedCenter
TheMole
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2006, 02:13:50 PM »

Are you serious? nevermind by Nirvana, pretty hate machine by NIN, Ok friggin' computer by Radiohead?? Better albums???
Let's just call that "your opinion" and leave it at that then, shall we... Smiley
nonlinear
VIP

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2006, 02:14:20 PM »

the beatles and dylan are not rock?!?!?!?!?!  what are you on man, cause i want some hihi

Thorne
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2006, 02:14:58 PM »

Nevermind better than AFD? Each to their own I suppose Roll Eyes

If you hate Thornes then don't pick this Rose.....
nonlinear
VIP

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2006, 02:15:36 PM »

Are you serious? nevermind by Nirvana, pretty hate machine by NIN, Ok friggin' computer by Radiohead?? Better albums???
Let's just call that "your opinion" and leave it at that then, shall we... Smiley

Well, AFD was esentially a musical dead end, while those three albums opened doors for tons of other bands to experiment in new musical realms

TheMole
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2006, 02:16:44 PM »

the beatles and dylan are not rock?!?!?!?!?!  what are you on man, cause i want some hihi

Listen, I don't wanna diss the beatles, 'cause I realise what they've done for pop music, but in all honesty, I've always regarded the beatles as a boysband "avant la lettre", whilest the stones were rock 'n roll.
TheMole
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2006, 02:18:59 PM »

Well, AFD was esentially a musical dead end, while those three albums opened doors for tons of other bands to experiment in new musical realms

I think we're actually using the same argument to prove our opposite points man... To me the fact that AFD has never been 'redone' or 'improved' upon shows that the bar was set too high for others to emulate or pick up where they left. And I genuinly think I'm not alone on this. I really think you will find lot's of people outside of these forums that'll agree.
nonlinear
VIP

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2006, 02:19:03 PM »

Listen, I don't wanna diss the beatles, 'cause I realise what they've done for pop music, but in all honesty, I've always regarded the beatles as a boysband "avant la lettre", whilest the stones were rock 'n roll.

hrm, well the beatles started out as a so-called "boy band," but then used their success as a means to experiment and grow musically.  you certinaly could not refer to them as a boy band for the post-help albums.   they were anything but.  another band who has taken this route is radiohead.

nonlinear
VIP

« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2006, 02:22:34 PM »

I think we're actually using the same argument to prove our opposite points man... To me the fact that AFD has never been 'redone' or 'improved' upon shows that the bar was set too high for others to emulate or pick up where they left. And I genuinly think I'm not alone on this. I really think you will find lot's of people outside of these forums that'll agree.

i see what you're saying, but can't say I agree.  To me, the quality of music can be best judged by how it changes/influences the future of music.  Quality influences peers and younger generations, who then go on to make more music and hopefully influence others.  AFD was great in it's day, but it didn't really change the way we approach rock music.  in fact, it was really pushed to the wayside by bands like nirvana, nin, and radiohead (and I think Axl would agree with that statement).  there are a few bands (avenged sevenfld) who were influencecd by gnr, but these guys really aren't and won't make a difference in the future of music.

Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2006, 02:23:15 PM »

you guys are crazy calling AFD the best rock album of all time. ?I would say it's in the top 20 or so, but definately not the best ever. ?You can't even compare AFD to albums like the beatles' white album, abbey road, and sgt. sepper's, Dylan's Blood on the Tracks or Highway 61 revisited, etc. (the list goes on). ?AFD is a fucking great album but definately isn't in the league that these other albums are in, as far as what they did for changing music etc. ?AFD has a lot of great songs but didn't really change the way people approach pop music.
Those albums are overrated - in reality they're very very average. For me AFD is the greatest album ever!

P.S. Truth is, we all have our own favorites.  ok
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 02:37:35 PM by Gunner80 » Logged

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
TheMole
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2006, 02:23:43 PM »

hrm, well the beatles started out as a so-called "boy band," but then used their success as a means to experiment and grow musically.  you certinaly could not refer to them as a boy band for the post-help albums.   they were anything but.  another band who has taken this route is radiohead.

I see what you mean... It's just that I've always liked the early beatles better. Pablo Honey and parts of The Bends are the only things Radiohead has ever done that I can remotely appreciate... Creep is actually the only Radiohead song to even remotely achieve commercial succes here in Belgium (I think it peaked at n? 10 in the charts or something).
TheMole
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2006, 02:28:59 PM »

i see what you're saying, but can't say I agree.  To me, the quality of music can be best judged by how it changes/influences the future of music.  Quality influences peers and younger generations, who then go on to make more music and hopefully influence others.  AFD was great in it's day, but it didn't really change the way we approach rock music.  in fact, it was really pushed to the wayside by bands like nirvana, nin, and radiohead (and I think Axl would agree with that statement).  there are a few bands (avenged sevenfld) who were influencecd by gnr, but these guys really aren't and won't make a difference in the future of music.

You are right, quality influences youth. I'm not agreeing on the part where you say AFD didn't change the way we approach rock music though, AFD singlehandedly killed 80's hair metal and actually paved the way for bands like nirvana, stp, alice in chains, pearl jam and the likes. If find AFD's raw bluesy feel to be way closer to the grunge movement then anything else that came out in the late eighties.
nonlinear
VIP

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2006, 02:29:59 PM »

I see what you mean... It's just that I've always liked the early beatles better. Pablo Honey and parts of The Bends are the only things Radiohead has ever done that I can remotely appreciate... Creep is actually the only Radiohead song to even remotely achieve commercial succes here in Belgium (I think it peaked at n? 10 in the charts or something).

I do like the early beatles also, but it was their later work (without a doubt) that changed rock forever.  also, i should pount out htat commercial success has nothing to do with how influential an album is.  e.g. Raw Power by the Stooges or the velvet underground and nico.

Slashead
Banned
VIP

« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2006, 02:31:22 PM »

Slash, Axl, Izzy, Duff and Steven did the best album ever because they were the best band in the world !

Only these guys could do something better than AFD in the future.

I'll download it !
Refused
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2006, 02:33:22 PM »

If it was my choice Bad Religion would of been at #1. Not #99!
TheMole
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2006, 02:36:22 PM »

I do like the early beatles also, but it was their later work (without a doubt) that changed rock forever.  also, i should pount out htat commercial success has nothing to do with how influential an album is.  e.g. Raw Power by the Stooges or the velvet underground and nico.

I was hoping you weren't gonna point that out Wink. I know commercial succes says almost nothing about quality, even more than ever in this day 'n age...

Ok, so you like it when bands "try something" different. I've always been more of a "who cares about something new when you can just strive to make something excellent" kinda guy when it comes to music. I absolutely love mid-nineties Primal Scream for instance. But what about a whole new generation of blues-type guitar players inspired by Slash? You can't say these don't exist, right?
charlesfosterkane
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2006, 02:50:48 PM »

you guys are crazy calling AFD the best rock album of all time.  I would say it's in the top 20 or so, but definately not the best ever.  You can't even compare AFD to albums like the beatles' white album, abbey road, and sgt. sepper's, Dylan's Blood on the Tracks or Highway 61 revisited, etc. (the list goes on).  AFD is a fucking great album but definately isn't in the league that these other albums are in, as far as what they did for changing music etc.  AFD has a lot of great songs but didn't really change the way people approach pop music.
its better than blood on the tracks. it shook up the main stream. it made a cultural impact-- maybe one greater than abbey road (my choice for best rock record.)
knut
Who needs custom titles anyway?
Headliner

« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2006, 03:30:17 PM »

the beatles and dylan are not rock?!?!?!?!?!
Back in 1928.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: