Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 09:40:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  Valvestate II and the effects loop (cry baby wah)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Valvestate II and the effects loop (cry baby wah)  (Read 3436 times)
TheMole
« on: March 18, 2007, 02:15:21 PM »

Anyone have any experience with a valvestate II type amp and it's effect-loop?

I'm trying to use it in conjunction with a dunlop cry baby wah pedal and it works, somewhat, but when pressing the pedal about 70 to 80% down (where the cry baby changes tone most drastically), the sound get's way too 'screamy', if that makes sense. Now, my tone is pretty edgy to begin with (ODII, gain at 10, treble and bass at 8, middle at 6.5, contour around 7.5 - Gibson Les Paul with dimarzio pickups for buckets o' gain), so maybe that's part of the issue but I don't want to be fiddling with my knob (heh) during a gig, if ya know what I mean...

Also, the manual says the effects cuts out completely when set on "dry", which it does, but on "full" effect setting, the sound is still mixed with the original amp sound.

Any ideas on how to improve this setup (without spending all too much money...)? I'm trying to achieve a good distorted wah sound.

Thanks!
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 02:24:43 PM »

Tried running your wah:

Guitar > Wah > Amp

?
Aero
Not Axl
VIP

Not Axl

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 03:53:15 PM »

Tried running your wah:

Guitar > Wah > Amp

?

that's the answer ! always use whammy or wahwah befor the amplifier...

plus your mashall doesn't have a mix knob for the loop...

Skeba
Laugh Whore
Legend

Comedy is tragedy plus time

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 04:02:08 PM »

If your amp has a parallel effectsloop, it could be that part of the signal is always put through dry, and that the signal from the effect is only added on top of the dry signal.

If that's the case, you need to just put the wah before the amp. It will propably make the wah sound a bit softer... ?If I'm not mistaken, the dunlop has true bypass, so the sound won't be darkened when turned off.

Are you sure? At least some valvestate IIs have mix control.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 04:04:17 PM by Skeba » Logged

I've created an atmosphere where I?m a friend first, moderator second. Probably entertainer third.
Johnny Rattlesnake
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 12:38:52 PM »

Watch your input levels. High-output pick-ups with a pedal on full and the amp cranked
doesn't really give a blistering sound.  Sometimes it's just better to back off on some of that stuff.

TheMole
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 12:51:42 PM »

Tried running your wah: Guitar > Wah > Amp?
Tried that, but it messes up the distortion, although that might be opinion Smiley

Yes it does. It's a stereo loop, right on the front of the thing.
I have this amp, to be specific: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_amplifiers/marshall/valvestate_8240/index.html (it's 2x40 watts though, not 40 as it states there). The three jacks on the front in between the buttons are the effects loop.

So maybe I need to play with the tone when the Wah is between the guitar and the amp. I'll try that and let you guys know how it turns out.
MXR
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 04:28:53 AM »

Guitar  - wah - ampli
darkmonth
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 11:07:49 AM »

I know it's been said ... but NEVER use a Wah in an effects loop.  Effects loops are purely for modulation and EQ ....  things like Chorus, Flange, Delay, Reverb, EQ....  NOT Wah, and NOT distortion.

Smiley
TheMole
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 12:31:48 PM »

I know it's been said ... but NEVER use a Wah in an effects loop.  Effects loops are purely for modulation and EQ ....  things like Chorus, Flange, Delay, Reverb, EQ....  NOT Wah, and NOT distortion.

Smiley

Really, can you explain why (I'm an effects noob, although I've been playing for 10+ years Smiley )?
Skeba
Laugh Whore
Legend

Comedy is tragedy plus time

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 12:42:41 PM »

The only real limitation techically (afaik) is how big signals the effect can handle. Some pedals don't like if they get 10V_pp to their input and saturate. This is the case especially with circuits that have operational amplifiers in them..

I've created an atmosphere where I?m a friend first, moderator second. Probably entertainer third.
Bansidhe
Headliner

We'll rap yer pus.

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 07:42:29 AM »

Another suggestion. Don't have your gain at 10. Set it to around 6 or 7 and turn the volume up more. Will sound more chunky. Use an overdrive pedal like a TS-9 or something if you need more gain for solos.

If I had the wings of an sparrow, if I had the arse of a crow, I'd fly over Dens Park tomorrow and shite on the bastards below, below.
Shite on, shite on, shite on the bastards below.
TheMole
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2007, 09:08:14 AM »

Another suggestion. Don't have your gain at 10. Set it to around 6 or 7 and turn the volume up more. Will sound more chunky. Use an overdrive pedal like a TS-9 or something if you need more gain for solos.

For some reason, the gain knob on the distortion channel doesn't change the volume all that much (or at all), but changes the tone drastically. I dunno, I could try it, especially with the wah, but I'm reluctant to change a sound I've been really happy with for all those years. Yes. I fear change Wink.
darkmonth
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2007, 06:03:35 PM »

Smiley

Really, can you explain why (I'm an effects noob, although I've been playing for 10+ years Smiley )?

Effects loops give you the opportunity to plug effects between the preamp and the power amp. This is best for modulation (phaser, flanger, chorus, pitsh shifting) and delay effects because it allows them to effect the distorted signal as opposed to the preamp distorting them. It also runs a line-level signal, instead of instrument, which works better with most rack mount effects. (Distortions and boosters, etc, usually work better going straight into the guiatr input where they can affect the preamp gain)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: